Using Leftover Hair Dye

Once the color and activator are mixed they must be used quickly. If you don't need all of the product at one time, as you are touching up or have short hair, you may be able to retain some of each product for later use. This is a guide about using leftover hair dye.

April 2, 2015 Flag

Can I keep hair coloring if I only use part of the bottles that you mix together. I have short hair and don't use all of the product. And I was wondering if I don't mix all the product, can I use it later? And if so how long can I keep it?

By Esther

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have done it by not mixing it all and saving and it was fine.

The product that I use says that you can do that, as long as you don't mix the products together. Once you mix them, you have to use them up or toss them. Read the package insert, and it will likely give you details.

My hair is short, I do not use all my colour mix at one time, I keep half back that is not mixed. I also do this with my permanents, enjoy saving a little money.

Anne

Yes, you can keep unused permanent hair color as long as it has not been mixed with a developer, such as peroxide. How long you can keep it and get satisfactory results, varies. Darker colours tend to keep longer than lighter colours. Both leftover color and developer should be tightly sealed and kept in a cool dark place. A refrigerator is best.

To insure a good colour 'take' and a good colour match to the already coloured hair, I would suggest you use the leftover colour within four to six weeks.

How long can i keep my hair dye as long as i dont mix it all up for???

July 12, 2012 Flag

I color my hair and have a lot of solution left over, as I have short hair. Is there anyway I can use this bottle again when I need to dye my hair again? Thank you.

By flower51

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have short hair as well. I just mix 1/2 the solutions and use either another bottle or a glass cup and a hair color brush. Works great for me and I always get 2 applications per box. Just be sure to measure right.

Sure, you'll be fine.

Hi Flower

I too have short hair and I have used 1/2 the solutions to color my hair for years. I am not "dying" my hair but "bleaching" it as I use blonde shades. The creme developer and the permanent hair color in the kit are both 2 oz.'s so I measure out 1 oz. (2 Tablespoons - use plastic , not metal measuring spoon) of each and mix together and get 2 uses out of each kit. As I have done this several years I kept prior application bottle to mix and apply my "saving" mixture. Happy Good Hair Days!

stormy10000 in Ca.

You must do this the way the other posters have suggested. You can not save the solution after it is mixed together.

what do i do with left over dye in tube were do i throw it away

I was wondering the same thing. My hair dye I bought over the counter says it may bursts. I have a quarter of it left and I was wondering, do I just through it in the trash? What if it bursts in my bathroom trash can? What a mess that would be. Just so I know for next time. I read ALL the instructions and never came across exactly what to do with any left overs. Thanks in advance!

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJune 22, 2013
A woman dyeing her hair at home.
Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:15:53 PM on 10.0.0.82 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.