Finding the Value of Old Dolls

Category Dolls
Many people have heirloom dolls that have been handed down from mother to daughter for generations. This is a page about finding the value of old dolls.

A lot of people write on here wondering about the value of their old dolls, so I wanted to post a small guide that may or may not prove helpful.

1. The first step is to surrender the fantasy that your porcelain doll is worth a lot of money, unless you have a truly rare (as in, not part of a 'collector series' that some mass production enterprising doll company churned out in the 80s) or antique (as in, older than 1917). 'Vintage' dolls manufactured anywhere from 90 to 40 years ago probably do have some monetary value, but really only if they are in their boxes and in impeccable condition. And probably not as much value as you might want.

For another view on the 'value' of porcelain dolls, especially those from collectors' series of more recent vintage (40 years old and newer), we can look to the wise words in doll reference.com:

"Modern porcelain collector dolls sold from about the 1980s to present, were meant to appeal to adult doll collectors, not children. The theory was; buy it, keep it in the box or debox, but keep it unplayed with, after some time passes, you'll be able to sell it for more money than your original purchase and make a profit. Dolls were easily found in department stores, grocery store toy aisles, card shops, toy stores and on TV from QVC etc. The quantities sold of each collector doll could be large, it's the sheer quantity of all available porcelain collector dolls today, that is determining the current value, as they flood the market place, online and elsewhere..... Sad to say, but these dolls are now available in such large quantities they have little to no value today."

2. Notate any and all markings, on the clothes, or on the dolls themselves. If you can find absolutely nothing on the doll itself to identify its designer, manufacturer, etc, it will be virtually impossible to learn its vintage.

For decades, doll manufacturers used some very specific glyphs and symbols as 'signatures' that kind of look like Satanic amulet markings to identify their creations. These marks usually appear on the back of the dolls head, on the back, under arms, bottoms of the feet, but could really be anywhere.

Some links that identify these marks are here:

Also learn to distinguish what materials your dolls are made out of. Dolls can be made out of bisque, celluloid, china, hard plastic, cloth, composition, wax, metal, or wood. Knowing the materials can give a hint as to the doll's ages. For instance, bisque was mainly used in the 1800's, and if you have a celluloid doll you know it cannot be older than 1940, which is when the material was outlawed.

3. Consult various websites regarding the value of your dolls. Dollreference.com is a great reference. You can find anything about materials, marks, vintages, factories, etc on this site. Dollprice.com is another great site that lets you search an extensive database of dolls, by age, materials, quality, etc.

4. Check with eBay to see the real-time price where things are selling, and for how much. This is a great how-to from doll reference.com:

"with the name, maker or type of doll, use the below link to; Ebay Advanced Search - Find Items - Doll Sold Listings. Fill in the details on the form on the page link, check the Completed Auctions Only box and you will see recently
    sold doll prices which are shown in green and that's as current a doll value, as you can get.

5. Some final thoughts regarding 'value' in the marketplace:

First of all there is the issue of actual intrinsic value to consider. Under these circumstances, most certainly any doll manufactured from the 70s and older that happens to be in impeccable condition should have some intrinsic value.

The second issue, however, is what the marketplace will bear. Who is buying these dolls? How much are they willing to pay for them? If something theoretically is worth $1000 but nobody wants to buy it, is it really worth that? These are some of the contradictions of capitalism that have been around since the days of the tulip frenzy of the 1600s and that continue on through today with the overvalued and essentially worthless tech startups of Silicon Valley. Anybody remember the Beanie Baby craze of the 90s? Or the yearly bloodletting at Black Friday as folks mow each other down to get the newest Hatchling or whatever other commodified abomination is trending that Christmas season? Well, next time any of these 'phenoms' involves porcelain dolls, (and the commodity fetish marketplace is so fickle that, really, you never know) then all of you, dear friends, wanting to extract monetary value from your pretty dolls will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Source: Dollreference.com

I have 7, unused in their original boxes, Vogue 8 inch Ginny "Far Away Lands" dolls. I would like to sell all seven. What are they worth?

Answers

Best Answer

They seem to be with $15-$20 each. www.etsy.com/.../vogue-8-ginny-doll-spain-1859-from...

Best Answer

There are a number of factors here...are they the ones from the 50s or the "newer" ones? Which countries to you have (as some are much more rare than others)?

Look at this link from eBay SOLD and match each one that you have with the sold price and you will know today's current market value:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=far+away+lands...

If you have the older ones, you may be best to break them up and sell them off one at a time since those seem to fetch more by piece than if you have the newer ones, which fetch less overall.

These are neat dolls but there are just a lot of variables that I don't have to give you the correct value for what you have.

Happy sales!!

I love this wood, hand carved vintage doll! But, again, I'm needing some information on her creator. Thank you for your help!

I have some more fun finds. I have no idea about these beautiful ladies, but I just had to have them in my collection. Their bodies are made of hard plastic, but there are no identifiable marks.

Their arm joints are stretchy rubber bands. Any information would be appreciated!

Answers

These are not expensive dolls. Without more markings it will be hard to identify them.

I'm starting a hair and skin care products business- all natural oils. Help me with a unique name please.

Answers

Natural Beauty Products

I would like to find out the value of these old dolls.

Answers

You will have to undress the doll and look for markings. If there are none, it is probably not worth much.

DNS collection doll

They are pretty. I am not familiar with DNS.

There is a home decorating manufacturing company (with a store) called DNS, you may want to contact them and see if they are the maker:

www.dnsdesignsandmore.com/.../contact

Let us know what you find!

You can do a search on "Google" or go to eBay and see if there are any dolls like yours listed for sale . or try Craigslist .

I believe there may be some confusion about the maker of these dolls. It does not appear that DNS actually made these dolls but it is possible they sold them at one time.

• You need to try and find some sort of identity for your dolls or no one will be able to help you.
  • Markings, numbers or symbols can sometimes be found on the back, neck or feet of dolls and this is generally the only way dolls like this can be evaluated.
  • The pictures do not show the dolls in a good light and the one doll by itself is very blurry so you will need to take better pictures for anyone to even be able to recognize the dolls should we find even a similar one.
  • Advertisement

• Pictures need to be of the complete doll, facing the camera (not laying down) and give any information you may have in a description such as age (anything you know), measurement (how tall) and possible the composition of the body.
  • If you can add these to your question or ask a new question, it may be possible for someone to help you with the value of these dolls.
  • Otherwise, it would be safe to say that it may be difficult to sell these dolls (with the information and pictures here) for even $10-$15 each.

I am wanting to start an interior decorating business. What should I name it?
Thank you.

Answers

Superior Interiors

Swift Decor
Magic Interiors
Frame & Drapes
Style & Panache
The Crafty Interior

Sissy's Decoration Emporium
Sissy's Sassy Interiors
Imperial Looks

Sissy's Divine Design Creating Exalted Interiors

Sissy's Unique Interiors Creating One-of-a-Kind Interior Designs

Uniquely Yours Creating Interior Designs that Reflect Your Style

Wishing you luck in your new venture!! How about:

Interior Designs and More By Sissy

Sissy's Sublime Interior Designs

Vital Home Designs
Picture Perfect Interiors
Maison Luxe
Chic Interiors

I have a never opened, Katia championship skating collectible Barbie doll. What is she worth, if anything? It is in mint condition.

I found these old dolls while cleaning out my wife's mom's house. Can anyone tell me what they are? We were told that they are collectible. If not they will go into the Goodwill box.

Anyone have any idea about these dolls? The heads are heavy and I can't determine what they are made of. There are no makings anywhere.
Thank you!

I cannot find anything online about my doll. The name on her back says fashioned by Sara Beck. She has brown yarn hair in pig tails, stitched eyes, and mouth. There is a little red heart stitched into her chest. She's made out of maybe a canvas material. There is a pink dress with a white sleeveless dress over the top. She is wearing black cloth shoes stitched. I am wondering who is Sara Beck. I cannot find anything on the internet. And how much is this doll worth?

I am just wanting to know any info on these dolls if anyone has any. Some are old sewn cloth dolls and a variety of others. Era, value? Any info would be appreciated. Been having these in a chest for over 7 years.

My grandma gave me these and I'd like to know how much they're worth. The boy in the red vest is missing both hands and the girl is missing her fingers, but other than that they seem to be in good condition. All of these with the exception of the puppet are in their original boxes though they have been opened. They are in good condition with all their original clothes. Also the puppet works fine. And I know it looks like I posted the same dolls twice, but I didn't. Those are smaller versions of the big ones. You can tell because the purple on the big box is lighter.

The toys I'm looking to identify are dolls, bought around the late 90s to early 2000s, and have plastic faces with fabric/plush bodies. I actually own 3 of them, but one of them is in storage and I don't have access to it right now, so I'm just going to send pictures of the other two. One of them still has a fabric tag on the bag, although most of the writing has faded over time. Both dolls that I'm photographing are boys, but the doll that I don't have access to right now was a girl, and is pink. The darker colored doll has some marks drawn on its forehead that are not original, I believe I drew on him with marker or crayon at some point when I was little.

These are my cherished toys from my childhood that I just want to know more about, plus I really miss the one that I can't access right now, and there's a chance I won't be able to get that one back, in which case it would be conforming if I could find another one online, or even pictures.

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles DollsMarch 29, 2018
🌻
🎂
🎃