Selling Collectible Dolls

Category Dolls
Whether you need extra money or space, sometimes selling a doll collection is necessary. This is a page about selling collectible dolls.

I read most of the questioners about a way to sell "collector dolls". I am a collector also, and it hit me that maybe I should suggest the TV show, "PAWN STARS" might just be interested.

They are located in Las Vegas, NV. Maybe by contacting them, you
can confirm whether or not they can do business with you other than
having to go to Vegas to deal.

I have a Raggedy Ann and Andy Collection with Raggedy Ann and Andy trunk full with Raggedy Ann and Andy Dolls, how much are they worth? And where can I sell them, I live in Oregon?

Answers

Best Answer

From this photo it would be impossible to give you any information on the value of your dolls. There are so many variables and condition questions that would need to be reviewed and best done in person.

You don't say where in Oregon you are located. There is an Antique Doll Study Club of Oregon and they just had a display at this location in the fall:

East County Historical Organization (ECHO)
PO Box 946
Fairview, OR 97024
503-618-0946

Perhaps if you contacted the ECHO Organization they could put you in touch with someone from the doll group who could get you in the right direction.

Now unless your dolls are original releases from the early 1900s, your dolls will most likely be vintage, not antique, but this group still may be able to get you to the right person.

Be aware that many dolls, even ones that have previously held significant value, are not selling for the amounts they did before the big recession in 2008.

Your dolls may (and hopefully will) still have value, but the prices dolls are selling for these days is not what they used to be. Some serious collectors are holding on to their dolls waiting for the market to correct. I am just offering this up for you so you are not surprised if the people who look at your dolls are talking prices much lower than what you thought they could be worth.

Post back what you learn! Thanks for asking!

Best Answer

Trying to value something like would take lot of information:
pictures, condition, size, provenance, location, and it would still be difficult as the market for any kind of dolls is in the pits and will probably remain that was for many ears to come.
It seems that most people are trying to get rid of their dolls and not very many people are buying - at any price.

Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls are a little different style of dolls but still not that collectable. If there is a story behind your dolls then some of them may have value.
If possible, you should take them to a dealer who specializes in dolls and see if they can help you. You may have to travel to another city to find such a dealer but try Google antique vintage dolls appraisals with your zip code first. You will get a lot of stores and other sites but some dealer's names should also show up. If nothing near you you may have to widen the search.

You can call them and explain what you have and see if they can help you.
Do not stop with only one opinion.

Looking at your picture you appear to have some sort of display so hopefully you have a nice treasure that will be worth the trouble.

I have a Suzy Walker walking doll bought in 1947, with original shoes and socks, and original ribbons on her hair. What is the worth today?

Answers

i found an interesting McCall's article from 20 years ago that claims it is not worth as much as one thinks: "A 1951-55 Ideal Saucy Walker doll in very good or better condition has a value in the $100 to $150 range. Your Suzy Walker doll has a value between $25 and $30 in fine condition and without her period packaging.

Her collecting interest is primarily curiosity. However, she has enough value to avoid a trip to the Salvation Army or landfill."

articles.mcall.com/.../3179912_1_collector-books-collector...

However, if you go to ebay, you can see that it is priced from $30 to $40

Go to www.dollreference.com
To start your search.

I have somewhere between 1000 to 2000 dolls that I would like to sell. I would like to sell them all at one time. What is the best way to do that?

By Robin

Answers

Hello neighbor I just want to give you a heads up, my father had a train collection and we went to collectors asking what they were worth if we wanted to sell them and they were offering us rock bottom prices even under bidding and taking advantage of an innocent persons ignorance on the subject.

A friend suggested we ask collectors their value so we could insure them and we actually got prices 3 and 4 times more than what we were told when inquiring on selling prices. Trust no one unless u get the real value thru the "insurance" metaphor and then you will know the asking price and the true value of your dolls.

Then we offered them bulk on craigslist and accepted a generous offer from someone who would continue to treasure them. Be wise friend, try my method so no one rips u off, any stranger would! God bless and good luck. Gia in massapequa park, ny

Wow! That is a lot of dolls!
There are several factors to consider; such as the maker and condition and if any are still in boxes. You would have to do a lot of research and as stated before; get more than one opinion.

Dolls are very plentiful on the Internet so it is difficult to receive a "good" price, even for valuable dolls and "regular" dolls sell for only a few dollars.

You may be "lucky" and find someone who wants this many dolls. I personally would estimate that - if sold as a lot - you would only receive about .25 to 50 cents per doll. This may sound low but I have a lot of dolls and do not kid myself as to their "true" value.

Some dolls purchased 20-30 years ago - at prices well above 100.00 are now worth 15-20 dollars. Of course there are always exceptions.

Good luck and I hope you make a lot of money!

Were you able to sell this large group of dolls? If so, how did you do it?

Who buys collector dolls?

Where can I buy used porcelain baby dolls to sell later? I am in Antioch, Illinois.

I have some authentic porcelain dolls that I have been wanting to sell. Is there any place or person that buys them? I would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you.

I have the complete set of the Effanbee Legend series dolls. I need to sell. How can I find someone interested in these dolls?

By Karen

Answers

Hi - not sure how many dolls you have as there is a very large number in the Legend series.

A large group may be difficult to sell unless you have a local auction that deals in that type of merchandise - and a group will sell for a lot less than selling individual dolls.

Check your dolls on eBay, Ruby Lane, Amazon. Google dolls by the series or individual names. You can get a good idea of what people are asking for each doll.

Selling dolls at a decent price through these outlets takes a lot of work and time (usually months) unless you list them at a very low price. Groups sell but at a much lower price per doll.

You might find a local shop that would be interested in buying as a group but expect to be quoted a low price (maybe even 10.00 per doll).

Shipping is another story altogether! Dolls are difficult to ship so try to stay with local pickup.

Selling on Craigslist can be done also but be very careful who you invite into your home to view your dolls.

I have several dolls I need to sell. How do I go about it and who could I contact to sell them? I have Prince Charles and Princess Diana wedding dolls, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, 3 Bob Mackie dolls, and 2 Princess Diana dolls, one in a white dress and one in blue velvet.

By revay

Answers

I think the best place to start would be Ebay. It's easy to set up an account and you can list them under antiques. You can even set a minimum bid.
Hope this helps.

Ebay, Craigslist,Antique collectors/dealers in town or your local paper. Good Luck. : )

I would find a local auction that auctions collectibles.

Anonymous

I have 25 Barbies in boxes I would like to put on Craigslist.

I have this Ayana doll that I never really see around. It's a limited edition collectible. It's been passed down in my family so I don't know the year it came out. If I search it hits a dead end maybe because it's a limited edition. I need some cash so do you know how much it could sell for?

Where can I sell a porcelain doll really quickly?

Our family tended to buy dolls in the costumes of various countries. Most of the 30 or so I now have are at least 50 years old and do not have manufacturer information. What's the best way to find a good home for them. We don't necessarily want to sell them.

Same question for about 10 story book dolls in original boxes. They have never been undressed or played with other than careful holding.

Thank you.

I would like to sell my Vanessa Ricardi dolls. All are NIB. Years 1998-2000. Where is the best place to sell and determine their value? eBay has listings, but not of my dolls.

Answers

Go to dollreference.com to determine what they are worth and then you can put them on eBay.

eBay is still the best place to determine the value of most any doll even if they do not have your particular dolls. Current listings can tell you what a seller is ASKING but sold listings can tell you what someone was really willing to pay and completed listings can tell you what did not sell - at least over the last 30 days. You may have to keep checking but if prices are low (or high) for dolls in your series/years/condition then most likely that will be the close value of yours. Dolls of almost any kind are very slow sellers (an eBay seller may have a doll listed for weeks/months/years) and very difficult/fragile and expensive to ship.

We do not know what dolls you have and general information is too vague so you may have to continue the search with your dolls "in hand".

Here is a site that will give you a little information:

dollreference.com/dolls_buy_sell_values.html

eBay current listings for Vanessa Ricardi Dolls:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?rmvSB=true&_from=R40&_nkw...

This is for eBay completed listings:
www.ebay.com/.../i.html?rmvSB=true&_from=R40&_udlo...

This site will show you what some of this series actually sold for:

Anonymous

I am not going on the internet but here I am. I have maybe $10 I would like to get rid of anything from a Shirley Temple Madame Alexander and a few others that are porcelain. I'm not real concerned about the value I just wanted to get rid of them and not give them to Goodwill. So if you could contact me the easiest way is celll 314 497 5580

I have several porcelain dolls for sale. How do I go about selling them?

My mother bought me this doll years back. It is a vintage 16" porcelain Vanessa Doll Collection Series 1995. It is dressed in a red and black coat and skirt. I was wondering how much it could go for now.

I was thinking I could probably sell it for $200.00, but I wanted to know if that is way over or under the price range I should aim for. I have scoured the internet and I have yet to find 2 exact replicas of this doll. The only other replica I found was taken off of the market and I am wondering if it is because it was worth nothing at all or if it is truly worth a lot.

How do I sell porcelain dolls?

I have a number of Kewpie Dolls, (Effanbee), in various sizes and colors. Do you have any idea where I can sell them? They are in the boxes with numbered certificates.

Answers

ebay is still a pretty good marketplace for that. HEre's some advice from dollreference.com

Once you have identified who or what type of doll you have, to find a dolls price, value, worth to buy or sell, here's our tip;
with the name, maker or type of doll, use the below link to; Ebay Advanced Search - Find Items - Doll Sold Listings
- fill in the details on the form on the page link, check the Completed Auctions Only box and you will see recently
sold doll prices which are shown in green and that's as current a doll value, as you can get.
> ebay Advanced Search - Find Doll Sold Value < rover.ebay.com/.../1?ff3=4&pub=5575031274&toolid=10001...

I agree with eBay. Look for a few weeks to see if they do sell. Make yours slightly less expensive than the others.

I have a collection of dolls from around the world. What would be the best way for me to sell them? They range from 15-20 years old.

By Peg R

How do I find a good place to sell some Barbie dolls? I have three Marylin Monroe Barbie dolls, Day in the Sun, Hollywood Cast Party, and Publicity Tour. They are still in their cases, they have never been opened. They are also their third, fourth, and fifth series. If anyone has suggestions for selling them please advise. Thank you.

By Jesica A. from Rocklin, CA

Answers

The advantages of Craigslist is you get cash and local people only see it. The advantages of eBay is that the world sees it and unless you put a "buy it now" option, bidding wars ensue for things two or more people want. Put Barbies in eBay and you will find thousands, but it will also give you an idea of what they are selling for. I have sold 18 on eBay over the last 12 months, so it's a toss up as to which one I like best.

Sandi

Due to difficult economic times, I am selling off things to bring in some money. I have several collector dolls from places such as Ashton Drake Galleries, Danbury Mint, Franklin Mint, that are closed issues now. Where is the best place to try an sell them? eBay doesn't seem to bring good sales for collector items.

By nvfostermom from Las Vegas, NV

Answers

I have a friend who needed to sell her stuff she had the best luck at community flea markets or church sales.

Look on ebay and look at sold only to see what your type of doll has recently sold for. The post the for sale on Craigslist in your area. You might need to keep re-posting every week. Craigslist is free and the best way to sell. Selling on ebay is OK but you take a risk on the price and dolls aren't selling so good right now plus you have the packaging and shipping issue. You might have better luck selling all the dolls together as a 'lot', people seem to really like this. You won't get what you paid, so just decide on an amount and post them. Don't let greed get in the way of cash in hand.

I have a Patty Play Pal doll that is 58 yrs. old I would like to sell it . Can you point me in the right direction?

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles DollsMarch 12, 2013
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-08 13:07:03 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️