Identifying Vintage Ceramic Figurines

Hi I found these cute figurines. They have a marking on them. Who made them? I would like to know more about them!

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I have done a search on the marking on this piece and here is what I can tell you for sure. All the known marking for porcelain and figurine doesn't have a mark like this at all. However, this mark looks like it was a combination of two different marks that are used in Germany and Great Britain to mark their pieces. In these markings used in both of these countries, the mark is not laid on the side like in yours. it is standing up and down. There is an added dark bar at the back of the x that is not present in the other marking that is similar to this one. The marking on the bottom of your piece is not listed in any of the databases I can find. I feel like this company who ever made this figurine has created their own mark to add to the bottom and it is not one they have trademarked or is listed in the databases for marks used on these pieces.

Answer this Question

43 More Questions

I am looking for more information on this little guy, who is 4"H and marked Germany on the back. It's hollow and there is a pinhole sized hole above his pocket.

I thought this was a pie bird, but the bottom isn't arched. Smokers usually had an open mouth.
Any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

While I am not 100% positive, I don't think he is a Rose O'Neill Kewpie doll. Those are typically marked with her name--although I suppose the label could me be missing, but most were NOT on a stand like this, and I have never seen one with any holes in their chest as you describe.

Until it can be confirmed, this is a Kewpie STYLE--unfortunately, Kewpie has become like Kleenex--which is a brand name that people but where people use it to describe similar, not branded items...like people call all tissues Kleenex or all bandages Band-Aid.

I know I am being a bit picky here...but in the resell world, you can get into a whole heap of unhappy buyers if you call something something that it is not.

I am still digging in my files to see if I can find out more.

Can you tell me if he is bisque (which is a rough material) or porcelain (which is smooth).

Also, you say he is hollow--can you show the underside--bottom of the stand? Is that open--what you are referring to as hollow?

It is possible if the bottom is open that he is some kind of pie baker to release the steam...usually those are birds, but I have seen other things that function in the same manner--seeing the bottom may help me figure it out.

Maybe with a little more info, I can find more details!

Thanks for posting!

Best Answer

My goodness - Pghgirl you do bring back memories!
I always knew the item you're talking about as a 'pie bird' and at one time all the homebody ladies had at least one.
I'm not sure this is one of those as most larger ones usually had 'vents' on the bottom sides but this could have those vents also (no picture of sides or bottom).
I keep thinking the little hole held some type of stick/flag/handkerchief or ?? But that is just my thinking.

If you will join the Reddit site and post these pictures, I feel sure you will have an answer if a few days. This site shows amazing results on all kinds of things that are difficult to find information on.
It takes a little getting used to but the administrators are very helpful and can guide you to the correct group to post to.

www.reddit.com/.../

Please let us know if you find out what this little fellow really is (besides being cute).

Now - just in case someone wishes to know what Pghgirl is calling a 'pie baker/etc' here are some notes and links to check out.

"Pie birds (also known as pie funnels, pie chimneys, and pie whistles) are hollow ceramic devices used to keep pies from bubbling over in the oven by providing ventilation from the hot filling through the crust."

www.thekitchn.com/pie-birds-aka-pie-funnels-111070

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../pie-birds

Answer this Question

Can anyone identify this ceramic figure? It is 17 cm tall and 12 cm wide across the base. There are no markings on it. Also does anyone have an idea of the value? Thanks.

Answer this Question

What or who is the maker with the initials H.A on the bottom of this figurine or an old man?

Answers

Best Answer

My grandmother took a lot of ceramic classes at the senior center near her. They had all kinds of molds she could choose from to paint and fire. They had small figurines like this one. I think this is from a senior center that holds craft classes for seniors.

Best Answer

The paint looks too good (to me) to be a class project.

There is a brand called "Norleans" that had paper stickers on their bottom and many of their pieces were "signed" by the staff member who painted them.

You may have one of their pieces. I see these at the flea market and yard sales priced from 1-3 dollars if that is what you have.

He looks like a leprechaun. Very cute! If you are going to sell him, I would try in February for St. Paddy's day!

Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

I believe he was made from a mold and the painter/artist was very good.
I remember seeing many molds with this same style bottom as the mold was made to set on rack with 2 prongs that fit inside the 2 holes and you could paint around the bottom instead of just painting to the bottom edge.
This also resembles a typical mold as the features are not all distinct such as the walking stick is just part of the trouser leg.

Years ago we had numerous ceramic shops in my area and I have seen some excellent work but I have not seen this particular mold for sale.
The H.A. is very typical of how the painters marked their finished molds.

Although he resembles a leprechaun he may just be an Irish gentleman??

As to value; probably not more than $10-15 at best and may take a long time to sell. Unfortunately, hand made items are not very popular items but close to St. Patrick's Day would be a good time to list for sale.

This listing is of a Scottish gent but it is typical of this type mold and the painting is good (pictures are blurred but last one shows well).

www.ebay.com/.../283686867768

Answer this Question

I'm not sure where I even got this. Anyone know anything about it?

Answers

Best Answer

I think they are from Hallmark but I could be so wrong about all of this. My grandmother had almost the full collection of these at one time. They sat in her china cabinet and there were a lot of different ones just like this. She told me she started to collect them each year when the new ones came out and she said she had a lot of them for over 20 years. That was back in the 1960s when I first asked her about them. Most of the figurines looked like this one and each year a new one came out and normally was wearing PJs in the colors of red, green, and yellow. Where she lived in the small town there was a Hallmark that is why I am saying it was from Hallmark. The only other place she could have picked this up was at a small thrift store in her town. I don't remember seeing them there but I do remember seeing them at Hallmark. I think when she died there was around 50 of these little guys and when we sold off her estate they were only worth a dollar or two back then so I don't believe they are worth much more now.

Answer this Question

Can anyone help me identify this cat? It has odd markings that remind me of an owl, weird I know. There is nothing identifiable as to who made it. It's about 4" high.

Answers

Best Answer

so is this actually pottery? That's what it looks like

there is a type of Chilean pottery known as 'Pomaire' which is black earthenware with white marks. It is famous.

I didnt' see any cats but as you can see it does look a lot like this www.pinterest.es/.../

Answer this Question

What is this ceramic figurine? Family collectible. Only marking on underside is the number. If there was an identifying mark it was obliterated. Thank you in advance!

Answer this Question

I have these little farmer and shopping girl figurines. She has a basket and blue dress with a black vest, and a little white dog by her feet. She is wearing brown shoes, yellow socks, with a black band on top of her socks. The sign says, to town. The little boy has a yellow hat, grey shirt, what looks like
a white apron, blue pants, brown shoes, and is holding a pitchfork. He is standing looking at birds in a nest in a tree with some orange flowers on and near the tree. Their age is over 30 years. Since I have had them that long. I would like to know their value and age.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

These are Erich Stauffer Figurines! They were created as...my understanding...as an homage to Hummels. Sadly both these and Hummels have very little resale value at the moment.

Erich Stauffer Figurines average $3-$10 in sold prices.

Fun find! Enjoy!

Best Answer

Sadly there are so many figurines available (even the Dollar Tree has similar figurines from time to time) that even most Hummel's have very little value.

These are Erich Stauffer figurines but more specific; they are made by Arnart. This company did not have the best reputation and apparently produced several 'fake' versions of name brand figurines.
Apparently, many people believe the name 'Erich Stauffer" is fake and no one by this name ever existed.
Here are excerpts from a history website:

"Arnart is known by its crown and crossed arrow symbols on the bottom, some of which are printed with numbers in a series in porcelain or on a sticker. Erich Stauffer designed fake Hummels, which used a crown symbol.
Some people place Erich Stauffer figurines back to 1940 because of the United States ban on imports from Germany during World War II.
However, Arnart Creation was not founded until 1953, eight years after the end of World War II on August 15, 1945."

Here is a link to that web site in case someone wishes to read their history. Article is from 2013 but it appears the value listed still holds true in today's market.

www.erichstauffer.com/.../erich-stauffer-figurines

You can check out the sold listings on eBay to see what people are currently paying for this type figurine.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Erich+Stauffer...

From all of this it would appear your figurines were made after 1953 and the value is probably approximately $5-35.

Answer this Question

Who is the creator of this figurine?

Answer this Question

My wife bought this figure in a New York market decades ago, a girl? Anyone know what it is, make, origin etc, looks Swiss, German or Dutch.

Anyone seen similar as a matching boy would keep her company. No markings at all, felt on soles of feet.

Answer this Question

Does anyone know who made this little bear. He is a bank but there is no marks that I can find that will help identify him. I am assuming he is from the 50s, I tried to use Google Lens but nothing came up.

Answers

Best Answer

The number on the bottom of the bear indicates this is a mold from a ceramic shop. A person has purchased this mold in a ceramic class and made it. That is why you are not finding any identifying marks on the bottom of this piece. I have seen tons of molds like this when I use to take my grandmother to her ceramics class. The molds normally sold for 3 - 5 dollars. The person would buy the mold, paint it and then fire it. These are low fire clay molds and normally the class pours them themselves and marks the number on the bottom when sold.

Best Answer

This is from a mass produced mold kit. It doesn't have a collectors value. It is valued at under $15.

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMarch 28, 2016
🐰
🌻
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Vintage-Ceramic-Figurines.html