Identifying Vintage Ceramic Figurines

Category Miscellaneous
This is a guide about identifying vintage ceramic figurines. Determining when and where an old ceramic piece was produced can be a challenge.

I have this old figurine that was given to me by my late grandma. It is of 2 children in fancy clothes and it has a maker's mark of a crown with a "G" underneath. Does anybody know where and when this was made?

Answers

I would take this to a reputable antique dealer and ask.

I am familiar with a number of patterns that have a crown and a G, but none that look like this. This marking looks more modern and machine made than the ones I am used to seeing...but that is just my opinion...I am far from an expert on glassware.

An antique dealer, especially if you ask with the intent to insure, will give you as much history as they know.

I will tell you that when my grandmother passed many years ago, she had a mix of items with maker marks on the them and it was challenging to figure out (this was LONG before the internet) which were the true antiques and which ones she had picked up at Woolworth or the other Five and Dime stores as they all had special markings on the bottom.

Sadly, her really good items were damaged and not worth much, but boy, her dime store purchases were just about indestructible...which as I say this...leads me to believe she knew what she was doing with...there is a HUGE age difference between my cousins and me and having little ones in the house late in her life was a challenge for someone who loved to display her glassware (and who had the older kids--me and my brother) monkeying with her good pieces that she kept in her lime green cut outs with white back lighting in the living room.

I guess her solution was to move the expensive ones up and have the cheaper ones where the little kids could get to them!

Let us know what you find! Thanks for sharing!

I need help identifying this old ceramic bowl. It is in a friend's attic in the U.K. Any ideas?

Answers

I think this is a soap dish. Any markings on the bottom?

No, there isn't anything on the bottom. Do you mean to store soaps? As it's quite big.

I'm still looking for something on this. I don't think it is Art Deco. I believe it was made in a later period. And I don't think the figurine is a mermaid. Mermaids are marine from the waist down and don't have legs.

I didn't write the title originally that's just what this website put there.

I'll change the title. I think it looks like one of the flower fairies from Fantasia, or maybe a lilypad. How large is the dish?

Before I ever touched a computer, a co worker told me you could find anything on the Internet. I said "I don't believe it. Find Kigimafukiduma. He found it in 30 seconds.

It is possible that there is no picture of this bowl, other than yours, on the Internet. I will keep looking.

(Kigimafukiduma is a variety of Mondo grass).

Does it say anything on the bottom or is there some kind of maker mark on her back? If so, you can search the name on Google or ebay. Always check "completed auctions" to get an idea of it's value.
I can tell you she's a soap dish probably circa 1920-1930.