Identifying Vintage Ceramic Figurines

Category Miscellaneous
This is a guide about identifying vintage ceramic figurines. Determining when and where an old ceramic piece was produced can be a challenge.

I have this old figurine that was given to me by my late grandma. It is of 2 children in fancy clothes and it has a maker's mark of a crown with a "G" underneath. Does anybody know where and when this was made?

Answers

I would take this to a reputable antique dealer and ask.

I am familiar with a number of patterns that have a crown and a G, but none that look like this. This marking looks more modern and machine made than the ones I am used to seeing...but that is just my opinion...I am far from an expert on glassware.

An antique dealer, especially if you ask with the intent to insure, will give you as much history as they know.

I will tell you that when my grandmother passed many years ago, she had a mix of items with maker marks on the them and it was challenging to figure out (this was LONG before the internet) which were the true antiques and which ones she had picked up at Woolworth or the other Five and Dime stores as they all had special markings on the bottom.

Sadly, her really good items were damaged and not worth much, but boy, her dime store purchases were just about indestructible...which as I say this...leads me to believe she knew what she was doing with...there is a HUGE age difference between my cousins and me and having little ones in the house late in her life was a challenge for someone who loved to display her glassware (and who had the older kids--me and my brother) monkeying with her good pieces that she kept in her lime green cut outs with white back lighting in the living room.

I guess her solution was to move the expensive ones up and have the cheaper ones where the little kids could get to them!

Let us know what you find! Thanks for sharing!

Try to match it up at this antiques website. www.kovels.com/.../crown.html

I have a membership to Kovels and they reported this mark is unknown to them but that should not deter you from seeking more information.

I thought it might be Gräfenthal but no marks like that.

I also use a site that has thousands of markings and on a basic search, I could not find anything with a G like this.

You do not say how long ago this was purchased or even "gifted" so it is very difficult to actually search for an even guessable maker.
It may be possible to offer more information if we had any kind of dateline that it was obtained.

You may be able to obtain a lot more information if you seek some appraisals. There are lots of free appraisal sites online and if you complete several sites you may actually find out a date and even value. Here is a link to check:

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../collectibles.html

Barneby's charges $17 for their appraisals.

www.barnebys.com/.../

This has me so puzzled...

If you run your finger over the marker mark can you feel it? It should feel different than the rest of the bottom. The old maker marks you can usually feel the transfer (slightly raised) or the paint strokes--slightly rougher than the rest of the piece).

Question 2--what does it weigh?

I ask because if it is a reproduction of an older work it may be lighter in weight...I would expect a piece like this if it was an old original maybe to weigh in the 1-2 pound range--give or take. I Often a repro piece is hollow and one this size may weigh in the 12-18 ounce range.

If it is a repro, it may still have value. Repro doesn't always mean valueless!

I am hoping it is a really rare original!! So curious to hear what you learn! I do hope you will share!

Thanks!

thank you so very very much for your feedback. i did have a longer and more in depth version of my question but i found myself beginning to ramble and reminisce a bit too much and didn't want to annoy anyone. so i decided to change it to a shorter version.

This is a copy of my original question...
--------------------------------------------------------
My wonderful grandmother passed away a short time ago and my mother and I have been trying to sort out all of her belongings and beloved treasures. my grandmother was a very interesting woman that lived an amazing life. she traveled a lot and she was a collector of everything you can imagine. as we were carefully packing away some of her statues and figurines i became quite fascinated by some of the pieces. they were so beautifully created and the attention to detail were quite remarkable. i found myself wanting to learn as much as i could about every piece (a task that will no doubt take half a life time) there were some pieces that my mother knew about and a smile came to her face as she told me the tales of where they came from and how my grandma acquired them. i continued to research a few more pieces and had no trouble finding them. (thanks to makers marks, and groups like this on the Internet) but then i came across a piece that has stumped me. it has a makers mark but i cant seem to find it anywhere. I've spent days looking for it with no success. it looks different from the others. i believe its old but i have no idea of just how old. it is a statue that looks to be a of a boy and girl in fancy attire. the makers mark is in blue and is of a five pronged crown with a "G" underneath. i have found similar crowns but with different letters. as i am quite new at this im having difficulty finding it anywhere. my mother has no idea where it came from but thinks she could have gotten it from her trip to Germany a very long time ago. the more i look at it, the more it intrigues me and the more i look for clues the more frustrating it is. i am not interested in the value of this piece (or any other for that matter) i just want to know where it came from and when.

Has anyone ever seen this doll or have any background info about it? I would love to learn more about it. She is breakable and about 8-10 inches tall. She is holding a blue umbrella. I have had it since about 1980. My brother got one that was a football player the same day, same size, so not sure if it was a set. Any info is appreciated.

I need help identifying this old ceramic bowl. It is in a friend's attic in the U.K. Any ideas?

Answers

I think this is a soap dish. Any markings on the bottom?

No, there isn't anything on the bottom. Do you mean to store soaps? As it's quite big.

I'm still looking for something on this. I don't think it is Art Deco. I believe it was made in a later period. And I don't think the figurine is a mermaid. Mermaids are marine from the waist down and don't have legs.

I didn't write the title originally that's just what this website put there.

I'll change the title. I think it looks like one of the flower fairies from Fantasia, or maybe a lilypad. How large is the dish?

Before I ever touched a computer, a co worker told me you could find anything on the Internet. I said "I don't believe it. Find Kigimafukiduma. He found it in 30 seconds.

It is possible that there is no picture of this bowl, other than yours, on the Internet. I will keep looking.

(Kigimafukiduma is a variety of Mondo grass).

Does it say anything on the bottom or is there some kind of maker mark on her back? If so, you can search the name on Google or ebay. Always check "completed auctions" to get an idea of it's value.
I can tell you she's a soap dish probably circa 1920-1930.