Tuna Melt Recipes
A delicious change of pace for a tuna sandwich is toasted with cheese melted in. This page contains tuna melt recipes
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
March 10, 20116 found this helpful
All I can say is, "Delish!"
- 1 (5 oz.) can albacore tuna in water, drained
- 2 English muffins, split
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. celery, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 very thin slices tomato
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Lightly toast the muffins on both sides.
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Top the muffin halves equally with the tuna mixture and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon Swiss cheese. Top each with a tomato slice, then sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
By Ann from Richland, WA
This is one of my favourite versions of a tuna melt because it has added veggies and Greek yogurt. Choose any type of cheese you like, I went with a slice of Muenster!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 sandwich
- 3 ounces canned tuna
- 1 Tbsp onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
- juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 slices bread
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/4 small tomato
- 1 slice cheese
- In a bowl, mix together the tuna, onions, lettuce, and parsley. Squeeze lemon juice on top, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add yogurt, mayonnaise, and mustard. Stir well.
- Allow mixture to sit for a few minutes for flavours to come out. Tip out any juices from the bowl.
- Butter the slices of bread on one side each.
- Place one slice, butter side down, on a lightly greased nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Spoon the tuna mixture onto the bread.
- Place avocado and tomato slices on top.
- Add the slice of cheese, then top with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- When the bottom slice is golden brown (a total of a couple minutes), flip over and cook until the other slice is browned.
- Serve with lettuce and/or pickles.
In tough economic times like these, I always keep cans of tuna in my pantry. Rather than just making the regular boring tuna sandwich, tuna melts are still cheap and tasty.Read More...
Very plain open faced healthy(er) Tuna Melts, no mayo or added ingredients. Just the good stuff!Read More...
Preheat broiler. Blend first 3 ingredients in bowl. Add tuna, onion, cucumber and pickle; toss gently. Place English muffins on cookie sheet, overlapping sides slightly.
Place avocado slices and alfalfa sprouts over each pair, dividing evenly.Read More...
March 30, 20060 found this helpful
Heat broiler. Mix tuna, dressing, onions, red pepper, and seasonings. For each sandwich, top English muffin half with lettuce, tomato and tuna mixture.Read More...
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
As a teenager in high school, I learned to make tuna melt with biscuit dough. That's all I remember, help please. Thank you.
Carmen from Racine, Wisconsin
Answer this Question...
September 25, 20070 found this helpful
1 can Pillsbury biscuits (Grands)
2 (6 1/2 oz.) cans tuna
White sauce mix (or from scratch)
1 can peas with onions
Place biscuits on baking pan. Cut biscuit across the top in a "x". Open biscuit up a little. Fill inside with tuna. Bake at 375 degrees until slightly brown. Make white sauce, add Velveeta to taste. Mix in peas or serve on the side. Pour sauce over tuna patty to serve.
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
December 1, 20100 found this helpful
- 1 can Tuna, Drained
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- Chopped Eggs, Or Celery If Desired
Layer on 1 slice bread. Add 1 slice cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is browned.