Using Beets

Description:

There are many varieties of beets, red, sugar, pink and cream colored beets. They are high in calcium, potassium and phosphorus. The greens are also edible and high in nutrients.

Uses:

Beets can be eaten in many ways: raw, steamed, baked, in desserts and in salads. The greens can be steamed or used in a stir fry.

Recipes:

Buying fresh:

Must be firm and free of blemishes or any mold.

Storage:

Do not wash until just before you use them. Cut off all but one inch of the greens. Moisten a paper towel and wrap the greens in it and put in a plastic bag in the refrigerator, good for a couple days. Make sure the bulbs are dry before storing in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 1-2 Weeks.

Preparation:

As for any vegetable or fruit you should wash before eating. Peel before eating raw. You can peel before or after baking or steaming.

Interesting Facts:

If eaten on a regular basis may prevent cancer. Ancient civilizations were known to harvest beets for medicine along the Mediterranean sea.

WoW - There are just a few things that I won't eat - and beets are one of them. Now if I make the cake, I can take them off my "won't eat list"!! Thanks

My mother always sliced beets and put them on the tray with cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, etc.; right next to the veggie dip. I'm not much of a beet eater, but raw beets with dip are awesome!

Are the greens edible? Can you cook them like spinach?

Anonymous

I always keep one extra can of beets on hand and try to eat with most of my dinners