Recipes Using Zucchini

Category Vegetables
Summertime can bring an abundance of this summer squash. This page contains recipes using zucchini.

Yes, it is the time of year we long for during long, dark winter nights, the time of warmth and plenty. Trouble for some of us is that plenty can quickly become a bit too much as the glut of produce arrives more and more zucchini and vegetable marrows are pressed upon us by harassed harvesters who put a few too many plants in 'just in case'.

I never turn anything down; even when my husband, eyebrows raised, gently hisses 'what are you going to do with more of this stuff' as our hostess joyfully fills another bag with zucchini (or their awkwardly overgrown siblings, big, green, teenaged vegetable marrows) I don't know about you, but seeing the relief in the eyes of the gardener with a glut when someone will willingly take even just a little of their irresponsible over-production out of their sight, is worth a bit of puzzling over what on earth to do with it all once you get it home!

The secret of my survival is that I was blessed to be brought up in a family with its head in a book and its feet planted firmly in the land. I learned to dream and imagine, but I was also taught to cook and create usefully with my hands. There is a family story still dutifully told to our groaning children about how my brother, sister and I once fashioned a game from acorns and an egg carton, but we really did; not because we had to, but because it was fun and it made us laugh together. So as their eyes roll and they return to whatever electronic pacifier they are ruining their thumbs on, ours meet and we smile again at the binding memory.

Now we all have that miracle of the modern age, the cornucopia busting font of all knowledge the internet. I still think it is so amazing to be able to have half a dozen recipes for summer squash disposal literally at my fingertips and, thank my lucky stars, I have the skills to fearlessly use them, even to change them to suit our own tastes and use whatever is in the store cupboard.

So when I return to my beleaguered friends, wild eyed with the guilt of those who have had to compost something someone, anyone, should have eaten, I smile and serenely place a jar of my prized Marrow Ginger and Cardamom Jam, or Marrow Pickle on their table and anticipate the grateful gold rush that is bound to ensue!

This is my "mystery" plant. Every year, I save seeds from last year's fruit. I had my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers all marked as such, but I had one lot of seeds I did not know what they were. I planted them anyway and they turned out to be zucchini. I do not even remember saving them.

• 1 cup biscuit mix
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped onion
  • dash of salt
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Directions:

Mix all together except for butter or margarine. Melt butter or margarine in large skillet. Drop spoonfuls of mix into hot skillet. Fry 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

By Eileen Hays from Yorktown VA

Love vegetables from the garden!

A delicious recipe using some of that garden zucchini you might have in abundance right now. Savory beef stuffed zucchini shells made in the microwave and stove instead of the hot oven for a great summer dinner!

A good low carb recipe that uses up your extra zucchini. I made this in the toaster oven in a 9 x 13 inch pan, so as not to heat up the kitchen.

This page contains zucchini cookie recipes. This tasty summer squash is delicious in baking recipes. Try one of these healthy cookie recipes with your family.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This might even convince some anti-vegie eaters to try them!

This is a great combination of ingredients and it's also a great way to use some of the zucchini we are growing in our gardens.

This is a great sauce on beef!

Dip sliced zucchini in egg and milk; then in a mixture of salt and pepper, cornmeal and flour. Fry until golden brown. Pour lemon sauce over zucchini and serve.

Place broth, zucchini, and tarragon (or dill) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, 7-10 minutes.

Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters, then cut in half crosswise. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir zucchini in oil over medium heat for 4 minutes.

Mix carrots, zucchini & onions together. Cook for 6 minutes. Drain. Melt butter, adding stuffing mix & mixing well. Add this to zucchini mixture.

Mix soup & sour cream. Layer, starting with zucchini mixture & ending with chicken mixture. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

In a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add vinegar and saute for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and zucchini is evenly coated. Happy tasting.

As we all know, if you grow zucchini you are likely to have an overabundance. This is a great recipe to use them up.

In a bowl combine flour, cheese, oregano, pepper and salt. Beat eggs. Add zucchini, onion and mayonnaise. Add flour mixture and mix well.

In a large skillet, melt butter and fry pancakes until golden on both sides.

Cook and stir veggies in oil over medium heat 6-8 minutes until tender crisp. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Makes: 4 cups.

Wash, dry, and halve lengthwise the zucchini and arrange in a single layer on a greased broiler pan or hinged grill. Score zucchini diagonally. Melt butter and add lemon-pepper seasoning and garlic salt.

White zucchini tastes almost identical to regular green zucchini so it can be used in all the same ways. This delectable and healthy white zucchini frittata recipe is easy to make and will surely get gobbled up by whomever you make it for.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Scooped out zucchini squash halves can be stuffed with your favorite ingredients for a delicious meal. This page contains a stuffed zucchini squash recipe.

This is a guide about using zucchini instead of apple or pineapple when baking. Try using this versatile squash instead of fruit in your next baking.

This page contains zucchini squash pancake recipes. Summer squash, such as zucchini, can be prepared in a way similar to a potato pancake.

This is a guide about zucchini pie recipes. An excellent way to use up excess garden zucchini is a sweet or savory pie.

This page contains zucchini dessert recipes. In addition to its use in quick bread recipes, zucchini can be used to make moist, delicious cakes and other desserts.

This page contains breaded zucchini recipes. A great way to prepare this vegetable is by adding a coating and frying.

This page contains zucchini cobbler recipes. We know that zucchini can be used to make a sweet quick bread, but a cobbler?

Super easy to make and very tasty!

Load More