Crafts, Recipes, Tips,
& Guides
Enter Contests
Share & Vote
Get Advice
Submit a

Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

2 1EmailFollow
A repair man fixing a leaky roof.

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.



Here are questions related to Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families.

Question: Free Roof Replacement for Our House

Is there any one or place we can go to get help replacing our roof? We have very low income and my son has medical problems. We have no money to get it done.

By Tracy


Best Answers

By Karen Plett02/03/2014

I live in York County, PA and have the same problem. I found out that the York County planning commission has a program for people in our situation. It takes several steps in the process but if it works out it is worth it. It is basically a no interest loan that only comes due if you sell the house. They also provide the contractors. There is an option to use your own but they will have to bid with the others to qualify. Hope this helps! Google stuff in your area for your county's planning commission.

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]02/01/2014

I assume you have a social worker with the Department of Social services/Welfare Office. Talk to them, they should know about this nationwide organization that helps with things like that. It is called different names in different towns.

Several years ago, my sister had them do some repairs on her house, but you also have to stay in the house for a certain number of years or pay it back on a pro-rated basis. They also don't rush right in and do the repairs. You do have to meet income guidelines, and just because you feel hard up, doesn't necessarily mean you are.

How old is your son? I assume he receives Medicaid or disability. You should be keeping up with repairs that are needed while they are small, then it wouldn't be so hard to have the repairs made. I am so thankful I sold my house back in 1983 and have lived in apartments since then. When something needs to be repaired I call the manager and it gets taken care of. I didn't get rich selling my house, the proceeds after paying it off had to be split between my ex-husband and myself.

Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina


Best Answers

By Sandi/Poor But Proud [424]01/03/2014

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.
If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]01/01/2014

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

Question: Help Repairing Water Line for Low Income Homeowner

My sister is 61 years old and on disability. They shut her water off. She has water leaks. She owes a $300.00 water bill, but doesn't have the money to pay it. How can she get help? Thanks.

By Dianna

Best Answer

By Stephanie [147]02/18/2015

The utility company would be a great place to start. Many utilities (power, water, etc) offer assistance programs or other resources for people that have difficulty paying their utility bills. If not, they will know who might be able to help.

Question: Free Home Renovation?

I have a home and it is in need of great repair. I don't have the money to pay for renovation and I would like to know if there is a free program on TV that I can enter or a company that will do it for free? I have 12 grandchildren and I would like for them to continue enjoying it with me. Some live with me. Will explain in great length. Thanks.

By Julia from Easley, SC

Most Recent Answer

By duckiedpl.dl05/06/2015

I live in a two family. My landlord is a disabled senior citizen who is on a very low fixed income. She has no funds to restore her house and lives by herself with no children. She struggles day by day unfortunately the house is in desperate need of repair especially the roof there are lots of birds at the moment nesting all in the roof and its rotting away.

There are leaks when it rains and I've spoken to her on occasion about fix this problem, but unfortunately she really can't afford to do so the house is adorable but the outside needs paint or even venal siding. Is there anything thing that could be done to help this wonderful women? Thank you. Fall River, MA 

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Seniors

How can my mom qualify for roof repair? It will need to be done soon. The roofer went out today to inspect, as we need a roof cert for insurance purposes that she needs vs the one she now has.

The house was built in 1960 and needs new roof soon. If the roofer finds it needs repairs just to get her roof cert now or before 2-14-14, she might have to stay w/her same insurance company. This is not good. We found a better carrier, but they require the roof cert and that will cost!

Is there any help around for seniors on "fixed income". She's 81 yrs. old and a widow.

By SL from Visalia, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Oneta Mutchler [11]01/25/2014

In Texas, I recently inquired about getting my house painted and windows repaired/replaced. There were options for many different cosmetic or badly needed repairs, paiting, depending on your needs. There is a section about paining homes, roofs replaced, all the way to plumbing repairs, electrical and etc. If you are low income you have to meet certain criteria to receive assistance.

In Fort Worth it goes through the City of Fort Worth and some are called "weatherization". There is another section about living arrangements for seniors.I found assistance information by putting in search "assistance for seniors with repairs, roofing and painting." That brought up several options to read for your own situation. Good luck, oredwine

Question: Financial Assistance for Roof Repair for Seniors

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

Most Recent Answer

By Annie Rios Hill [14]09/25/2011

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.
Good luck.

Question: Finding Home Repair Help for People on Fixed Low Incomes

My mom and dad live on a very strict social security budget. Their floors in their small home are falling down, the pipes are old and run. They need some help really badly. They can't afford much and I can help work, but not much money to pay out for someone to repair their home. Any help that they can get would be very welcome. They are 80 and 81 years old. Is there any help available for them?

By Sharon from Paris, KY

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Taylor [15]01/13/2011

I volunteer for a national charity called Love,INC. We do exactly what you are asking for! Here's a link to the website with locations in each state. Call the one closest to your parents. They'll be happy to help!

Question: Finding Free Help With Home Repairs

My husband and I are caring for our 2 grandkids and the DFS just came and took them to foster care due to the fact that we can't afford repairs and remodling on our house. My husband is not in good health and the house is over 100 years old.

By Shannon

Most Recent Answer

By cathy333 [3]06/22/2013

You might also check with your city of county offices. Sometimes they have home rehabilitative programs.

Question: Finding Financial Help with Home Repairs

My name is Pam. My husband, Jackie has renal cell carcinoma and has had brain surgery, both lower lobes of lungs removed and a kidney removed. Our house is falling apart and roach infested. We have custody of our 10 year old granddaughter and barely getting by. My parents live next door, but they are 88 and 85 and I help with them also. I'm 57 and in desperate need of help. We have no where to turn. Please help or advise me on finding help with repairs, if possible. Thank you.

By Pamela from Clarkton, MO

Most Recent Answer

By Deborah Weightman06/05/2013

this url is for help with home repairs for low-income people in Missouri

Question: Help with House Repairs

My mom has entered a nursing home in Glenora, California and she left me her house. I'm not working at the moment. This house is very old, and needs a lot of repairs. I'm just about to get citations from the city of San Gabriel, and also have the health department after me. Can anyone help me please?

By Daniel R.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/13/2013

hi - redhatterb gave an excellent answer so the only thing I can add is try some of your "local" web site like Craigslist as they have sections for questions like this.

Try to think "out of the box" to look for some help but most of your "help" is going be your own.

Question: Home Repair Organizations for Low Income Families

We are in desperate need of a new roof. We have no money. We can see daylight through our bedroom ceiling. We are 65 years old and on SSI disability, have no credit, and no money. Our roof fell in in our bedroom. Since we can't afford a new roof and no one will give us credit, does anyone know of a resource for house repairs for low income individuals? I was not able to upload a photo.

Thank you.

By Chas and Barb

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [13]09/16/2011

I just heard on the evening news that our local Habitat For Humanity has started doing some minor home repairs. What they were showing was homes being painted, things like that. So far they have done 50 homes, this summer and fall. You could also call the pastor of your church, he might know of people in the church that could help you out. Do you have any family that could help you. Most likely instead of getting a whole new roof, you would probably get patches. You can also call 211, this is a nationwide organization that keeps a list of various non-profit groups that help people with various things or can help you find places that will help. There is also a program called Adult Services for Aging, located with the Department of Social Services, they might be able to give you some helpful advice. If you have a social worker they might even have some ideas.

Question: My House is Falling Apart

My husband died in 1999, and he left me a 80 year old home. The floors are caving in, and the walls are busted. The roof is falling in and it's raining in the house and all I can do is pray. I've tried fixing it myself but all I can do is live in it because I have no where else to go. Can you please give me some advise?


Most Recent Answer

By norma (Guest Post)07/06/2008

Obtain a reverse mortgage, look for information on internet.

Question: Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

sagging carpet

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally.

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

    Home Repair Assistance for Low Income FamilyHome Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

    By Brandy Peffer P. [1]

    Most Recent Answer

    By Abigail A. [9]08/20/2015

    I agree that you can learn to be a real DIYer. Lots of people have learned to make home repairs and taken on renovations.

    However, if that is mold I'm seeing in those pictures, it is not safe to live in, even temporarily. And it does look like part of the floor has rotted and caved. If that is the case, it is not safe to stand on.

    Only the homeowner really knows whether the home is livable even in the short term.

    Question: Organizations That Help With Home Repair

    I didn't know if any of the organizations you would know of help young families repair their homes. I have a 1 year old and 1 on the way I don't have the money to fix my roof. My pipes are all bad, the floors are weak, and my siding is gone. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be great :(

    By Martha S

    Most Recent Answer

    By cybergrannie [30]03/07/2014

    I would like to add - redhatterb has an excellent point about contacting Habitat but their program is not for everyone as you do have a thorough evaluation before they agree to help you.
    I work with Habitat and theirs is not a "give away" program like so many other organizations.

    Question: Organization that Helps Vets With Home Repairs

    My mom is taking care of my dad at home, he is a vet of about 20 yrs in the Air force. Recently, about 6 years ago, we found out that my dad has Alzheimer's. So my mom is being a trooper with how she's been handling things. She has her moments, knowing her husband of almost 50 years is slowly being erased, it's very hard. But recently their AC stopped working, with medical bills, etc. they don't have the money for the AC. We're working on a solution and monies are tight for everyone.

    I never thought that I would have to ask this, practically beginning, we just need them to be comfortable and cool, they have window units, but only in bedrooms, and those units utilize a lot of electricity. We help with maintaining the well water to be safe, filter, etc. I need to quit prolonging my question. Is there a program that could help replace the current unit for a working AC?

    I sincerely thank you.

      By Paul E P. [1]

      Most Recent Answer

      By Paul E P. [1]07/15/2015

      Thanks Everyone for your kind responses, I will absolutely take your advices. Also found out from the repairman that the whole unit and the tubing needs to be replaced. When it rains it poor, but we have umbrellas ;-) LOLs. Handling and doing the Best we can and again Thanks Everyone for your wonderful responses and advices :-)

      Sincerely Blessings Be 0:-)


      Question: Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

      I live in San Lorenzo, California. I am looking for some type of help to fix up the house I am living in. It is not mine, it is my fiance's grandmother's. She is 81 years old and lives here as well. I have a 3 year old and one on the way and I cannot stand the thought of us living in this house anymore, but we have no where else to go.

      The biggest problems are: we have are cockroaches, rats, mice, mold, and termites. Also, the pipes are so bad that the walls shake and the smell that comes from them is so bad it smells like something died. There are many other problems with this house, but those are the important ones. I wish I could just pack up and leave, but unfortunately that is not an option. Is there any way we can get help to take care of these problems? As it is we barely have enough money to pay for bills and buy food. These problems are only going to get worse if we don't find a way to fix them. Thank you.

      By Danielle R.

      Most Recent Answer

      By Marty Dick [152]03/25/2015

      There are federal housing programs for indigent moms with children. Why don't you inquire about that? And by all means when this next baby comes get yourself fixed!

      Question: Help With Home Repairs

      Is there any help for people who need work done on their home, but can't afford it? Two windows are broken. I have tape on them. The front has cracks and rain and cold air blow through. Front window leaks when it rains. Heating ducks are away from floor, so some heat blows on the ground. Our heater some times doesn't work.

      Where we live there is no help for us, because they say my husband works. Yes, but not enough to pay bills, buy food, and fix our home. I have to go back and forth to the doctors and that takes gas. It costs us 80.00 a week in gas, but they don't count that. Is there help somewhere?

      By Barb L.

      Most Recent Answer

      By Sandi/Poor But Proud [424]08/20/2014

      All the answers are good ones. You didn't mention where you live. Here in Salem OR, we have an energy assistance program. If you have one in your town, it's a good place to start.

      The windows can be replaced fairly cheap. But in the mean time, get some low cost plastic at the local Walmart. It's in 5' wide rolls and you cut off as much as you need, so a yard (aprx. 2.97 per yard) would be 15 square feet. Cut some about 3" larger around and fold it over one, stapling or thumb tacking to the frame if it is wood, to the wall if it is metal. You can also tape it with good quality clear tape. The plastic can be purchased in mil' thickness, so the higher the number the thicker the plastic.

      The vents are away from the floor? Get some foam from the local hardware store, and when you go in tell the employee what you are doing with it and they will be able to help.

      If you live in a mobile home, your belly board, the band of metal sheathing that holds your floor insulation in place, might be gone or damaged by critters. See if that can be replaced by a friend/church member, etc. Then, if you can't afford insulation, see if someone can donate some baled hay. I know it sounds funny, but if you line the underside of the mobile with that, then put the skirting back on, you will be amazed at how much that helps.

      Simple things like expanding foam insulation around pipe openings, exterior cracks in the walls, and such can keep your heating costs down. Go to a local thrift shop and get 2 or three radiant heaters. See the photos enclosed. They run on circulated oil, so they are never a fire hazard and can be used when your furnace isn't working. They are on wheels so easily move from living room to bedroom, but I find they are cheap enough used to have 2 or 3. I find them for 15.00 in most places, and brand new, they are only 30.00.

      Here in Salem, if you are Native American, there is no waiting list. It might be the same in your state.

      I wish you luck and I hope these tips have helped.

      RE: Help With Home Repairs

      Question: Finding Help for Family Needing Home Repair

      My husband and I were handed my family home after a few years of my great grandmothers passing. We were struggling to pay rent and bills. As far as we knew the home was in decent condition with only minor repairs to be done.

      As we soon discovered, after putting what money we had into it, there was more to be done than we could afford. We had to move in with family after draining all our money into repairs. We had no way to get another rental.

      We own this home and it does mean a lot to me I grew up there but more immportantly its our only home to live in. Staying with family and friends with 3 kids is just not possible for much longer.

      My question is is there any resources possibly out there to help us. We have had people breaking in constantly and numerous people in there and just damaging it more and more we have changed the locks dozens of times and screwed all the windows shut, but that hasn't stopped them from breaking the glass. Please can someone help?

      By M.R.

      Most Recent Answer

      By cybergrannie [30]07/22/2014

      It is nice to "own" a piece of land right now. Most on this site would not know where you live or even if you live in the US so it is kinda difficult to even give suggestions.

      I also believe there are many on this site that are in financial situations comparable to yours (or worse?).

      I generally assume that questions are from the US. That said, you do not say anything about your ages, your general health, if you are both working, or the ages of the children. These four factors will make a lot of difference when you are seeking "free" help.

      Sometimes it is possible to get a loan to make repairs and generally repayment would be less than rent. Have you tried your local church? There may be someone there that can give you advice on where to seek help. Try senior service centers for information.

      Habitat sometimes help "qualified" families with repairs. They also may be able to offer advice.

      If you are receiving food stamps or other assistance you may be able to discuss your situation with this office. They may not help but it appears you should be trying everything.

      Free help and materials may not be available to able bodied adults but you may be able to find someone that can help you if you furnish materials. If you are currently living (rent free?) with relatives maybe you have money to help with materials?

      In my county there are "homeless" shelters that sometimes offer free living quarters to families for a short period of time - Look for places that offer free lunches and give them a visit. They should have some suggestions also.

      I hope you are able return to "own" home soon.

      Question: Finding Help Home Repairs

      My dad has kidney failure. We're a small family of 5; including me, my sister, and brother. Dad has no job as he is on dialysis. Mom is working to make ends meet and I have my own debts and two kids. My brother and sister make minimum wage and the house is falling apart. Is there any organization that can help?

      By Yolanda

      Most Recent Answer

      By Sandy [5]04/29/2014

      I was also going to suggest the church also. I am sure there are Christians there that will help you, and if there are able-bodied people living there they can help with the repairs. Sometimes people just don't know how to make the repairs and they fear making it worse, or starting and not being able to finish them. Also, the cost of materials is prohibitive. We have a place here in Pittsburgh and it's called Construction Junction. They have everything there, very reasonably priced. I am sure if you contact your area on aging, and the social agencies in the blue pages of the phone book, you will find help. And you'll probably learn so much!

      Question: Help to Build a Dream

      My father bought a burned down property across the street about 4 years ago. He told me recently that if my wife and I wanted the property, we could buy it for the $1,000.00 he paid for it. It sits on 3/4 acre. Everything is burned down except the bricks and 20% of the frame. My wife and I would love to rebuild this house, and make it our home. Any suggestions on any grants for our situation?

      By Terry from Webb, MS

      Most Recent Answer

      By Tamara L. J.03/22/2014

      There's a website called, "go fund me", maybe you could hit up your facebook community or something.

      Question: Repair Help for Low Income Homeowner

      broken house wallI need to know where I can find a place that will help me fix my wall at a very low price or take payments. Someone hit my house with their car. I get SSI and that's how I pay my rent and bills. I live in Wichita Kansas. The wall has to be taken out, the lowest price is $600 fillers and I don't have the money.

      By Dawn

      Most Recent Answer

      By Abigail A. [8]04/24/2015

      This is your landlord's responsibility. But do the police know who ran into your house? Certainly they caught the person. No doubt the landlord can go after the driver for the cost.

      Question: Need Help With Plumbing Repair

      I am a single mother of two and have a bad sewage leak under my house in need of repair. There is a lot of water under my house that is on the ground. It has caused my floors to rot out that are now caving in in two bedrooms and the kitchen.

      It also has allowed mosquitos to breed under my house. They come inside and are biting my family. I am in desperate need of some help for my home and my family. Is there anyone that can help me?

      By Michelle W. from Port Allen, LA

      Most Recent Answer

      By cybergrannie [30]01/04/2015

      It seems you may be asking for financial "help" from Thrifty community members so undoubtedly you do not realize that most of us are just trying to make ends meet and save a little for repairs when the time comes.

      The first question - do you own the house?
      If so you can go to all the usual places (mentioned before) and apply for assistance but most likely - if the house is in this much disrepair - you will be informed to find another place to live as you are placing yourself and your children in danger by living under these conditions.

      I do not believe you will find anyone that will do this much repair so maybe you should just be asking for housing assistance - ask for information at the same place you applied for your other "entitlements".

      Question: Electrical Repair for Low Income Families

      I am 62 and all my electrical is going out, including my overhead lights, ceiling fan, and a few plug ins. I only get Social Security ad cannot afford to pay too much. I am scared about fire. I am not sure if the landlord should fix it or me. I am buying a "rent to to own" home. I have been here for 5 yrs.

      By Sharon from Fairmont, WV

      Most Recent Answer

      By Dinah Ackerson [2]12/22/2014

      Additional clarification and information:
      If you signed an actual agreement with your landlord, if should have addressed exactly who is responsible for repairs, electrical, etc. If the agreement does not specifically state who is responsible for what, then the landlord should be responsible for the electric wiring and any other repairs, as well.

      Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

      We need a new roof asap. My house insurance canceled us because we need a new roof. We are having financial difficulties; we are raising our grandchildren and funds are just not there. We are a deserving family who never gets assistance.

      By D

      Most Recent Answer

      By sue killgore [2]10/27/2014

      Most county and/or city governments have low-income help for people below a certain level of income where they will do emergency repair for you with little cost or interest, if any. Check with them first.

      Question: Help With Home Repairs for Low Income Family

      How can we get help with repairs? We are both on disability and do not have money to get things fixed.

      By Beverly

      Most Recent Answer

      By The Aunt [11]10/08/2014

      If there is a local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, they may be able to provide help with the repairs.

      Question: Home Repair for Low Income Families

      I have a friend whose house needs complete remodeling, roof, plumbing, dry wall, etc. I feel that her home is not a safe place. She is on disability and she is not physically or financially capable of doing any of the work. She has no family to call on.

      By Wendy

      Most Recent Answer

      By redhatterb [1]08/08/2014

      The thing with getting into Section 8 housing/low income housing is, depending where you live there is usually quite a long waiting list. Where I live it is roughly five years.

      Question: Home Repair Grant Denied

      I am on Social Security Disability, I had signed up for a home improvement grant 6 years ago with my Neighborhood Community Development Association. I just received a notice in the mail stating that if I had a bankruptcy that was not discharged that I would no longer be eligible for the home repair grant. I signed up for the grant in 2008 of March. I have been waiting for this grant for almost 6 years, I had to file for a bankruptcy 2 years ago because my husband lost his job. I was also told that I couldn't put in another application until my bankruptcy has been discharged for a full year. Does this mean that I have to wait another six years just for me to be the next one on the list? Or can someone tell me if I can contact a government official on this matter?

      By Tiffany

      Most Recent Answer

      By cybergrannie [30]03/29/2014

      You will have to contact the association that you are applying to for answers to your questions.
      All states and counties have different rules and regulations for this sort of thing.

      Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

      I need help with my mom's house, it falling apart. She can't afford to have it fixed. She lets me and my kids stay here and I want to give her something back that she always wanted, her dream house.

      By Lavonnda

      Most Recent Answer

      By redhatterb [1]11/20/2013

      I agree with Eggz about painting vinyl floors. When I was kid my late mother painted our living room, dining room and kitchen vinyl several times because we could never afford new. My mother did it on her hands and knees.

      Question: Free Home Repair After a House Fire

      My home was damaged in a house fire; I had no insurance on it. My mother is dying and I can't work a job because I'm taking care of her in her last days. She's 89 years of age and I hate having to keep moving her from place to place. I really need some help in fixing up my home.

      By Mary

      Most Recent Answer

      By Sandi/Poor But Proud [424]08/16/2011

      I always find it interesting that those who's advice is more pragmatic and less friendly than helpful don't sign their names when they post. Perhaps these folks don't belong to a church? Not everyone does. And yes, there is free home repair. Suggesting HUD is 3 years minimum, and most likely this lovely lady will have no further need for a home by then.

      I would come over with a hammer and nails if I knew where you lived, but short of that, here is a link from Google that I simply put in "free help after a fire" and got this one that I think might help.

      If the local paper or news station can help, I would make my plight public, that is when things get done and people step up to help. I wish you all the best of luck and you have my condolences as to your mom. No one should leave this world without a roof over their heads and someone to care for thing she needs and the other she has. You, bless you for that.
      Sandi/Poor But Proud

      Question: Low Cost Home Repairs


      Can someone please help me find very cheap or free (doubtful but still hoping) home repairs. I am in the process of buying my grandmother's house from her estate and I have taken on way more than I expected. My mother was on the property for the past 10 years and it has never been cared for. I don't want to lose the house I grew up in, I would love my children to grow up in it too. The area is nice, the schools are great, and my husband and I will be getting a home for just a lower price. I just didn't in my wildest dreams imagine the amount of repairs needed for this home. Please help. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

        basementLow Cost Home RepairsLow Cost Home Repairsmissing ventLow Cost Home Repairs

        By Amy Jaramillo [1]

        Most Recent Answer

        By Abigail A. [9]08/17/2015

        You need to get someone out to inspect the house, list what needs to be done and in what order. First to get it up to code, then what you would consider livable.

        I totally understand why you wouldn't want to lose your childhood home. On the other hand, as a parent, you understand that safety considerations trump sentiment. If the home is unsafe now and your time frame for fixing it is going to be years, can you really justify living here? It might be a better idea to allow someone to buy the home who has enough money to renovate and resell (flip) the house.

        I suggest you be very thoughtful about this purchase. You will have to do most of these repairs yourself, with the exception of things like plumbing, electric, sewage and grading, which you will have to hire professionals to do in order to be compliant with code. If this is not within your skill level or time frame you will be making a mistake.

        Good luck.

        Question: Bathroom Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

        Are there any organizations around that can help with bathrooms that are falling apart? I have lost my job and my husband can not do the work due to health issues. The tubs are falling through the floor. I am soon to be 60 years old myself and I wouldn't know how to do it. The floors are caving in and bugs are starting to come in through them. Someone stole our AC unit so we don't even have AC. We just don't know what to do.

          By Diane D [1]

          Most Recent Answer

          By Abigail A. [9]06/30/2015

          Are the floors caving in due to water damage, such as leaking plumbing, or is it because of the bugs? It is possible your homeowner's insurance covers this. You need to find out what it does cover.

          If this is a rental, it is uninhabitable. Google "tenant advocacy" along with the major city closest to you. Some helpful links will come up. It is illegal for your landlord to rent an uninhabitable unit.

          Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Family

          My friend is an aging parent of a 45 year old son who requires 24 hour awake nursing care. My friend and her husband provide this care and sleep in shifts to keep their home ICU running, They have done this for years for their son and his brother who passed away a few years ago from the same degenerative disability. Now, their home needs some repairs, repairs are half finished inside and the parents are too old and tired now to manage. Of course they are on a low income because they are full time caregivers and pensioners themselves.

          The backyard has a memorial pond and garden for their son Michael who passed away, but it is in great disrepair and this is a source of real sadness for my friend. The yard needs major work and there is little water to sustain a garden - concrete is the only answer. Does anyone know of a charity that might help? I have already contacted Habitat and Love Inc. which I found by reading the forum here. I am hoping there might be some additional resources you folks might know about too. Thank you!

            By Donna T. [1]

            Most Recent Answer

            By Abigail A. [9]06/30/2015

            See if they can qualify to get paid as caregivers of their son. This could help ease the financial burden. Here is a link to help you get started:
   ... ull-time-family-caregivers-get-paid/

            Question: Home Repair Assistance

            Where do I look for help for a family that is wanting to get their nieces and nephews out of foster care, but need some repairs on their house and need the carport enclosed so they have the room. All their money that was set aside is depleted due to the attorney fees. So I am asking for help for them. Please let me know. We have been fighting to get these 4 great kids for the last 3 years.

              By Denise Solgat D. [2]

              Most Recent Answer

              By Sandi/Poor But Proud [436]06/30/2015

              Have someone put this out on Facebook. You would be amazed. Someone might be able to set you up with gofundme.

              Also, can your local news consumer reports people get involved. Nothing sparks a good deed like those in need. That was not a poem on purpose but it's true. This is a feel good story in the making. I wish you luck!!

              Question: Financial Assistance With Home Repairs

              I am on SSI disability, so my income is limited. I have a kitchen that doesn't have a lot of cabinet space, and the kitchen faucets are leaking badly. There is so much that needs to be done with my condo. I have a bathroom where the toilet seal needs to be fixed and I don't know what it has done to the floor. There is carpet in the bathroom, so it needs to be taken up. I figure if the toilet has got to come up, the carpet near by should be ripped up and different flooring put down. There have been leaks under the bathroom sinks, and I don't know if there are any problems with the tub, also. I'm on the ground level so any plumbing issues, I usually get the results of it.

              There is just so much that needs to be done that I don't know where to go for help. I need someone that will work with me financially or if there is anyone that would help in any way. I really wish I had a home above ground with sunlight and space, but realistically I can't afford a home, they are so expensive. Are there any grants or people that can help? I have a disease I didn't ask for and at this time I'm not in a wheel chair or scooter or anything like that and hopefully I never am. Thanks for any feedback.

                By Elizabeth B. [1]

                Most Recent Answer

                By Elizabeth B. [1]05/27/2015

                Dinah...I'm 54.

                Question: Repair Assistance for Low Income Homeowners

                The homeowner is self employed and low income. The house is condemned and must be fixed or they will be evicted. The homeowner is living pay check to pay check and is 60 years old.

                By Martin

                Most Recent Answer

                By sharon6345 [8]04/20/2015

                Go to freecycle and craigslist and bartrer or get free what ever you can.

                Question: Help to Make Bathroom Conversion for the Elderly

                Is there help for my 90 year old mother to convert from a tub to shower in her bath? She still lives alone and is able to care for herself, but is not able to get into her tub. She only receives her Social Security income.

                By DWC

                Most Recent Answer

                By sahakiandianne [1]03/29/2015

                If your mother can get into the tub but not sit down get her one of those seats for the bath tub and put a shower curtain up. If not if your handy remove the tub and put a shower stall in there in the same place and get a faucet with a shower attachment to it and place in original faucet place.

                Question: Finding Rebuilding Assistance After a Fire

                My parents had a fire a year and a half ago. My father is disabled and my mother helps my father. They didn't have insurance and are living on the bottom part of the house. The top is completely damaged. What options do they have to help them?

                By Yolanda

                Most Recent Answer

                By Abigail A. [8]03/02/2015

                They need to get a repair estimate from a trained professional. If the frame of the house is damaged, the house could be unstable. You wouldn't want the top part of the house collapsing on your parents.

                There's more to consider here than just "handyman" work. There's also plumbing, electrical wiring, etc. Everything must be done up to code, not just done "well enough."

                If the cost of the repairs is more than your parents can afford, they'll need to consider selling the house just for the lot. The house itself will either be repaired by the new owners or razed. Obviously this won't pull very much money, but it may be the only option, so be prepared to help your parents get set up in a handicapped accessible apartment.

                Finally, they'll need a visit from a financial planner. They'll need to plan for their remaining years and will need to know what they should have on hand for spending money, plus how much emergency money they need to have saved, what types of accounts to own, what insurance they really need and don't need, and so forth.

                Question: Repair Assistance for Senior Citizen

                Is there a state funded program to help me replace the skirting on my mobile home? I am 70 yrs of age and don't want to lose my home. I can not afford to replace the skirting.

                By Marie

                Most Recent Answer

                By Rose Anne Hutchence [4]02/28/2015

                Hi, Marie.

                Please look into volunteer organizations? I don't know how big your city is, but I'm hoping you'll find retired gents who are handy with tools who'd like to help out. You might be asked to pay for materials. Up here, in Calgary (Canada), seniors exchange services. My Dad, a very handy guy, loves to help out and gets a loaf of home-made bread or batch of cookies for his time and expertise.

                Also look into something called Habitat for Humanities? They build homes for the homeless but might also have something along the line of what you need.

                Wishing you every success,
                Rose Anne

                Question: Finding Assistance With Home Repairs

                I am almost 70 years old and have a bad water leak and need assistance in getting it fixed. The plummer says 1000 and I have to pay half which is 500.00. I am very upset, I am retired and don't have that kind of money. I can make payments on the other 500.00. What can I do, there is no way to flush the toilet, no way to take showers, or wash clothes, or dishes. I need help badly my nerves are shot.

                By Frances K

                Most Recent Answer

                By Donna02/05/2015

                I don't know if you belong to church, but perhaps it could help: They must have a plumber, right?

                Question: Help With House Renovation

                My mom and dad, have been living on church property for 25 years. They really need a renovation. How could they get help? My dad is on disability; would that help? They need major repairs done.

                By Felicia I.

                Most Recent Answer

                By cybergrannie [30]01/04/2015

                I believe most agencies will not offer any assistance as your parents do not "own" their home - undoubtedly the church owns the home and property. The church has the responsibility to maintain their property so they are the ones who would have to ask for assistance with repairs.

                Do your parents live "free" on this property? If so, then repairs by your dad may have been included as part of the "rent" of the house.

                From my church experiences housing is furnished for varying reasons so we have no way to know what the original agreement was. But - 25 years!! Looks like some repairs would/could have done along the way.

                Question: Roof Repair for Low Income Individual

                I know you probably don't help with what I am in desperate need of, but I am just hoping that someone can help me find the right club or organization to help me. For years I was in the position to help others and trust me I did, from helping people in a tri-plex that was burnt to the ground get back on their feet with doing the leg work for them to paying people's insurance and giving food, you name it if I could help I did.

                Now I am on disability living month to month on a shoe string budget and can't seem to find anyone to help. I have a hole in my roof and a few more really bad spots and am in desperate need of a roof. My kids said they would help and could help with a few hundred, but they are not rich either. I paid my house off to be able to make it on my disability income and it's a nice doublewide. But if I don't get this fixed asap it won't be nice anymore.

                I can't afford payments of anything more than 50.00 a month. I don't have TV or internet at home because I live on that tight of a budget. I called a roofer and he looked at it and said he could do it for 3000.00. Who has 3000.00 these days? When I was working sure no problem. I don't qualify for grants because I am not 62 or older. I am only 49. I live by myself and have no clue where to turn for help.

                I make 1230. a month and my medicare is taken out of that and so is my car payment, insurance, cell bill, power, water, garbage, medicine, doctor visits, gas, and food. Please if some knows of anyone that can help let me know.

                By Wendy T

                Most Recent Answer

                By cybergrannie [30]12/06/2014

                I believe there are many people who would feel "blessed" to receive 1250 dollars per month on a regular basis. and have a home free and clear!

                That said - where people live many times dictates their "normal" cost of living expenses. Also, the services people really need to survive are not also the same for everyone. Maybe you can reevaluate what you "need" and be able to cut some corners - but maybe not.

                Are you presently putting that "extra" $50 per month in a savings account to go toward the roof repair?

                Just for a start - maybe your children could help with covering your roof with one of the special tarps (made for this) that many hurricane survivors have used - some last for years. I had to do this after a storm - and it worked. I found my tarp at a farm supply store. I believe these may be the same tarps that used to cover/protect large stacks/rolls of hay from the weather.

                Of course, this would only be a temporary fix but it may save your home until a better solution is found.

                Many agencies like the Salvation Army have lists of people to contact for getting help in all kinds of situations. Your local church may be able to help or may help you find someone who can help. You may find that you are too "well off" for some of these agencies but they may be able to help you find a way to finance the repairs.

                Question: Room Addition Help for Low Income Family

                It is no longer safe for my aged ill mother to live alone. I am going to bring her home with me, but I need extra space for her to live with me comfortably. She is on SSI and I receive disability. Would you please give me some info on how I can receive help?

                By Theresa O. from Richmond, VA

                Most Recent Answer

                By cybergrannie [30]12/03/2014

                I believe it will be very difficult to get help building/adding a room as that is a very expensive item.

                You may have to rearrange your present living quarters to accommodate your mother. It seems that making this move will save a lot of money - removing the cost of living for your mother at her present location (rent/utilities/phone/extra food?). Also this move may save you gas money for fewer visits/combine food expenses (share food stamps?), and much more if you give it a lot of thought.

                Maybe with the savings on these things you could afford to make a few changes to accommodate your mother.

                Question: Need New Heater in my House

                I am a single mom with 2 young daughters and the heater in my house is broke. I need a new heater. It's 58 degrees in my house right now. How can I find programs that can help me get a new heater?

                I live off of $210 twice a month and never have money to spare. I'm looking for work but am not having luck right now. My house is cold and I'm scared my pipes will start freezing soon. I am in need of serious help. I live in the northeast Philadelphia. Please if anyone can help please let me know.

                By Tara M.

                Most Recent Answer

                By Sandi/Poor But Proud [424]11/22/2014

                As a former property manager, I don't advise boiling water. It will make mold faster. If there is absolutely no one who can help you buy a 48.00 heater from a dept. store, go to your local St. V's or Salvation Army and they will be able to help. This heater will heat your apt., if it's normal size which is about 600 sf...for less than any heaters you can buy.
                If, like the poster said, this is a landlord problem, make your needs in writing and he will have just 24 hours to fix it. You have to have water, hot water, heat and the ability to power your home and all of those are his/her responsibility.
                You obviously have power so if the heater doesn't work, it's up to him.

                RE: Need New Heater in my House

                Question: Help for Low Income Family With Roof Repairs

                I am a low income widow in need of finding a grant to assist with roof repair. I am having very bad leaks.

                By June

                Most Recent Answer

                By Scarlett O'Hara11/30/2014

                If you are in the United States, apply for Energy Assistance. It is a national program, LIHEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program), which is administered by each state. Call 211 to find out where you would apply. I worked for them years ago, and know that there is a section on the application that asks if you need some type of help repairing your home, including the roof.

                Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

                How get I get free help with home repairs? My husband died 17 years ago and I raised 4 children on my own. I work, but live pay check to pay check. It is hard get money for repairs.

                By Mary A from Reading, PA

                Most Recent Answer

                By Myrna [14]10/27/2014

                You might try doing a favor for a favor. If you crochet or knit, sew clothes, you might barter your handiwork for someone else's that you are in need of having repairs to your home made without a lot of cost.

                Question: Finding Financial Help to Replace Windows

                Last winter our heating bill ran almost 600 a month. We have insulated our home, but our windows freeze on the inside as well as the outside. We need to replace them, but I am disabled and my husband is 75 and we do not have the money to replace the windows or to pay 600 a month this winter. Does any one know where we could get some help.

                By Pam

                Most Recent Answer

                By cybergrannie [30]10/16/2014

                Windows are expensive to replace so you may not be able find someone to donate this type of material or the amount of work it takes to do the job.

                You can search the Internet (Google - how to cover windows for winter or something similar). You will find all kinds of inexpensive ideas. Many people are in your situation and have to look for ideas they can do for themselves.

                It is good that you are starting early so you will be able to try several solutions before the cold weather arrives.

                Question: Home Repairs For Low Income Families

                I am a single mother of 2 and work full time and struggle just to pay the bills. My septic system is in desperate need of repairs. The house was built in the 1960's. Is there an assistance program for low income families that can help me with this?

                By Bonnie R

                Most Recent Answer

                By James Nithan10/13/2014

                Post your job any contractor referral website, get quotes from local pros. Based on the submitted quotes you could select one.

                Question: Help With Kitchen Repairs

                I am disable and a senior citizen. My income is fixed and there is not enough money for repairs. How can I get help with repairs? Sewage spills over into neighbor's yard. The kitchen counter top is rotten and infested with bugs. Most of the drawers are broken and missing. The floor is uneven and many tiles are missing.

                By Ms. Freddie

                Most Recent Answer

                By Sandi/Poor But Proud [424]10/01/2014

                Cybergrannie is right. We don't have enough information. If you are renting, then you shouldn't even be there and the house/apt. should be torn down.
                If you are buying or have paid off the mortgage a while back, you can see out agencies that help. Good luck. You didn't include photos but my guess is no one wants to live this way.

                Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

                mold stained tub surroundI am disabled and have a daughter. I also have two step kids. I need help getting my bathroom fixed.

                By James

                Most Recent Answer

                By Myrna [14]10/13/2014

                Remove the old edging around the tub. Use bleach water to help remove mold; allow to thoroughly dry. You can buy at Family Dollar silicone to fill in around the tub edges and to smooth it out, wear a rubber glove and a soft cloth wrapped over the finger dipped in alcohol. Just a small amount of pressure is all you need do across the tub edges. This will give it a more finished appearance. Allow to dry the specified time. I would buy water sealer first before a final paint covering.

                For the floors around the toilet, you can also add silicone beading and smooth out allowing to dry after replacing with tile/vinyl flooring. You can buy remnant vinyl pretty reasonable and if you choose the cheap stick on tiles at Family Dollar, then please use a quality glue on the floor first as these tiles do not hold up well alone. BUT, you can cut/score them to fit easily with scissors/knife which is a plus.

                Just guessing from your photos; a small bathroom; the cost should be around $100 or more to complete. Family Dollar sells a lot of paint supplies reasonably priced too. In future, you really do need to come up with a solution to allow more air in the room after shower/bathing as it holds moisture in longer and doesn't dry out fast enough.

                ALSO, you could apply remnant vinyl flooring to the walls about 36" or more tall from the floor and use the floor glue as long as you use your baking rolling pin to press out any air bubbles so the vinyl adheres well. Paint quarter panel wood strips and use panel nails to secure from floor to ceiling in every corner of the room. Can also use quarter panel strips along floor to help hold down the vinyl and give it a finished look.

                After the walls are painted then add the molding trim against the top of vinyl if you choose to redo the bathroom walls like this. To learn more on the how to do, look up on youtube to get helpful tips along the way. It's really simple work you are doing, but if you've never done this before, it can be overwhelming. Give it a try what harm can you do? Just do it all in proper step procedure and enjoy the new look.

                Question: Making Room for the New Baby

                I am a single mother of a 7 year old and have one on the way. I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath mobile home and there is just not enough room for all the baby stuff. I really need help building a room onto my mobile home for my new baby. Is there any help out there for low income families?

                By Ashley W.

                Most Recent Answer

                By weinerdog41 [33]07/26/2014

                I agree with the previous post in that you should be asking the fathers of your children for help, rather than asking a stranger to sacrifice his time and money.

                Question: Finding Help for Low Income Family House Repairs

                I am a disabled grandma with a disabled 19 year old. I am low income, on disability and working. I need help to fix water pump or well? The water pumps then stops. I am living on my $1300 a month with 850 going to house payment, taxes, and insurance.

                By Tammy

                Most Recent Answer

                By cybergrannie [30]06/19/2014

                redhatterb has given very good info. You could also talk to someone at your church as sometimes there are members who have skills/businesses that will help members.

                1,300 dollars a month is a pretty good monthly income. Does this amount include your work wages?
                Is this income from your disability, your grandson's disability, your "over 65" social security, and wages? Is it a fixed amount and not going to change? If so, you should be very thankful as you are blessed.

                From your remarks it appears you are buying your home and not renting? Perhaps you bought when your income was at a higher level or, you made a decision to purchase more than you could easily pay?

                It would seem that you may have to consider downsizing to more affordable lodgings as there is no way you can continue to pay this amount of money each month without assistance.

                I feel sure you probably receive some type of "entitlements" such as food stamps and/or assistance for disability (you & your grandson?) but who knows how long our country can continue all of these programs? You should think long term and try to reduce your monthly outgo.

                I know this may sound harsh to some people but I believe in self survival and we should keep looking for things and ways we can do toward being independent of others. I do believe in helping others that are in need but only after they have worked toward that goal themselves.

                There are lots of people who really need assistance (and you may be one of those), but it does appear that you can do a little more toward helping your situation.

                I hope you find someone to help you with your present problem but please start making plans for the future before you have future problems.

                Question: Home Repair Help for the Low Income Senior Citizen

                I have a small leak I think it is the hot water tank and need my small hallway painted. I am on Social Security.
                I need help. Any suggestions?

                By Ernesto S

                Most Recent Answer

                By Sandi/Poor But Proud [424]06/05/2014

                You mentioned your income but you didn't say if you were unable to paint. This sounds like a quick fix but the church tip is a good one. If not, you don't qualify for assistance for something this small. I would have your landlord (if you rent) fix the leak. Or, put towels under it and see if it is the HWH. If not, go from there.

                Question: Finding Help with Home Repair

                I am disabled and take home less than 1300$ a month. I have a bathroom floor that is soft and a roof in the bathroom that is leaking. Where can I go for help? I do have a family, so I really need this repair done. Thank you.

                By Sterling E.

                Most Recent Answer

                By zeepp03/21/2014

                Check with local civic orgs or churches - habitat for humanity - local tv stations - town hall - united way - lowes & home depot -211 or 311 info lines, etc. many communities have a day or 2 where volunteers get together to help those in need with chores and repairs and local businesses donate supplies. they are usually in the spring - so act quickly!

                Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Persons

                My house has no heat and no insulation under it. It was built in 1983. I am disabled and low income. Is there a program or a government grant I can get for a coal or wood burning stove? LIHEAP is always out of funds in my are. I live in Prestonsburg, Kentucky. The weatherization people were here last year, but never came back. I qualify for wall heaters, but they are always out of money also. Can anyone help me or am I going to have to move?

                By Paul

                Most Recent Answer

                By Gloria Z [7]02/22/2014

                I think you mean your basement isn't heated and it's not insulated as well. You should contact your Village Town Hall & ask for the phone number to the Senior Services Dept. As for LIHEAP I get it all the time the secret is to get the date from your Senior Service Dept. as to when the next enrollment date is and when to call them for an appointment to apply for it. Sounds like whoever is responsible for doing this hasn't done that. Try it and see.

                Question: Need Help With Home Repairs

                I live on $700 a month SSI. My trailer is completely falling apart. I have tree limbs falling on the top, so I have holes in my roof. I have windows that are leaky. I have vents for the heat, but only two work because of raccoons and other animals.

                I desperately need energy efficient doors and windows with screens put in here, so I can afford my bills. My power bill has been $400 a month. I have emotional issues. I'm on nine medications. Medicaid only pays for four, and so five of them have to come out of my pocket. Anyone know where I can find an agency or organization that can help? Thank you.

                By Donna M.

                Most Recent Answer

                By susan [5]02/17/2014

                I had a friend in this position; her trailer was too far gone to be fixed. She applied for and got an apartment for low income, disabled, or senior housing. In out state, the Housing Authority takes care of this.

                Question: Grants or Organizations Offering Free Roof Repair

                I am a pre-k teacher in South Dakota, living way below the low income line. My roof is in desperate need of repair. I have water coming in. I have a great credit score which allows me to apply for any loan I want, but I can not afford any extra payments a month due to my tight budget.

                I'm already selling off my personal belongings just to make payments on my winter utilities. I was hoping to find some kind of grant or organization that helps with free roof repairs. I'm so lost on what I can do to fix this huge problem before it gets any worse. Please help me!

                By Ms. J

                Most Recent Answer

                By Gloria Z [7]02/09/2014

                Try Habitat of America call & ask them for help.

                Question: Roof and Sewer Repairs for Low Income Families

                We bought a house last year; we are a low income family of 5. We don't have the money to get our roof fixed or sewer. I was wondering what kind of help is out there. My husband is on disability and I am having a hard time finding a job since nobody is hiring.

                We were trying to box in an old chimney you can say it collapsed and we had a friend get on the roof to fix it. He did a poor job, but it was free. We do have some leaks and we need help.

                By Debbie

                Most Recent Answer

                By Tanya [4]02/04/2014

                Sometimes churches have programs for such things. Call some of your local churches and inquire.

                Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Disabled Seniors

                I live in Jax Florida. My sister is a disabled senior who just started getting Social Security. We have tried all the local and state agencies. She needs her roof replaced. Even the rafters are bad! Nobody seems to be able to help.
                Can anyone help us?

                By deana0123 from Jax, FL

                Most Recent Answer

                By Patricia Nicholas [13]05/22/2013

                Check with your local Habitat for Humanity, they don't just build new homes they often rehab homes. Here is the Jacksonville, FL website:

                Question: Finding Financial Help in the UK to Repair Home Dangers

                My friend's partner was diagnosed with a brain tumour on Christmas eve. She had to leave work to look after him. He has had it removed, but has lost movement on his right side. They were part way through some house improvements. They have wires hanging from the ceiling in their bathroom, they currently have no income as the job centre has messed up their claim. They have had a flood in the living room ruining their wood flooring, the cat turned the grill on and there is smoke damage in the kitchen. Their luck is dreadful and they need help. What can I apply for, to nominate them?

                By louise

                Most Recent Answer

                By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/23/2013

                Are they in council or other social housing? If so, the council or authority may have funds to help.

                As a brain tumour is usually a cancer, the wonderful cancer charities might also be a source of assistance, try looking into MacMillian Cancer Support and Cancer Research UK. Both sites offer resources, links to other organisations, and forums for carers and patients-it may be one of those forums will provide a place for your friends to find some help getting their reno finished, and will certainly help with emotional support during this extremely difficult time.

                Is your friend registered as a carer? Carers get an allowance once registered and the income can be quite helpful making ends meet.

                The couple might consider a free listing on their local GumTree asking for help, too. You would be surprised how many joiners and builders are willing to volunteer their time to help people who've hit a rough patch.

                I'm in Scotland; your post doesn't say where in the UK your friends are, and resource links are different between Scotland and the rest of the UK which is why I'm not posting any links. Run a search using the term 'carer benefits (and the name of your county or country), for example: "carer benefits scotland" and "free renovation assistance scotland" to try bringing up some links in your search engine.

                Good luck to you in your search and to your friends!

                Question: Programs to Assist Low Income Families with Home Repairs

                How do I find a program that assists with household repairs?

                By Charmain

                Most Recent Answer

                By Lee Taylor [15]11/12/2010

                Here's a link to a great charity, Love INC ( In the name of Christ)
       They have branches all over the country. They handle home repair, car repairs, every sort of problem.

                Question: Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Families

                We are a family of 6 and the heat pump in our home stopped working. We have 3 kids that have asthma and it is so hot in our home and running 3 fans is not cutting it. We are a very low income family and really need some assistance.

                  By Joshua J. [1]

                  Most Recent Answer

                  By redhatterb [1]07/01/2015

                  IF you have a pastor talk to her/him, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. Sometimes there are even people in the congregation that could furnish whatever repairs are needed and/or the labor to make the repairs.

                  Question: Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Families

                  I have elderly and very low income family members in Leander, Texas and Jonestown,Texas that really need help with some home repairs. I would like information on who to contact to try to get them some help.

                    By Maggie Davis [1]

                    Most Recent Answer

                    By Dinah Ackerson [2]06/22/2015

                    You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.


                    Question: Bathroom Remodel for Disabled Homeowner

                    I am writing on behalf of my sister, she is in her 60s and retired to take care of her husband who has no legs and is a diabetic. They live on what they get from retirement and disability, which as you know is not much. She is not able to give him baths anymore, please, she needs help repairing her bathroom for him. They live in Greenwood Springs Mississippi. Thank you and God Bless.

                      By Troy White [1]

                      Most Recent Answer

                      By Dinah Ackerson [2]05/27/2015

                      You can try this site for help in your state:


                      Question: Water Heater Replacement Assistance

                      I work for a disabled low income man in Noble, Oklahoma. His hot water heater went out over 2 months ago. He can't afford to replace it. He applied twice for assistance through a foundation from his electric company, but has been denied both times. Does anyone know of a program that he can get help through?

                        By Cheryl Spessard [1]

                        Most Recent Answer

                        By redhatterb [1]05/13/2015

                        If he can afford to have somebody work for him he should be able to afford a new hot water heater. Of course there is a possibility that you are being paid through the Department of Social Services.

                        Question: Air Conditioning for Disabled Persons

                        I recently had to turn down a job because my husband is disabled and got sick at the same time my son did. We are in need of air conditioning to keep their health from getting worse. In Mississippi, how can we receive service for a free air conditioner for people on SSI disability? Also I am unable to work and must stay home to care for my child and husband, how can I apply for funds or be paid to care for them?

                          By misslesliemorgan [1]

                          Most Recent Answer

                          By mcw [80]05/19/2015

                          I suggest that you call Social Security and talk with someone who can answer your questions.

                          Question: Finding Help To Repair a Well

                          I have been without water for the past three weeks due to my well bursting. I live only on my disability and cannot even save up to fix my well. I live in Florida. Does anyone know where I might be able to turn or who will cover all costs of the repair?

                            By TamaraandTony [1]

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Abigail A. [8]05/14/2015

                            Do you have homeowners insurance? Have you asked them if the well is covered?

                            Also, are you able to borrow against the house? I know that's probably the last thing to do, but think about it: If the county finds out you don't have clean water on the property, they may condemn the house and evict you. In that case the house would be no use to you.

                            I hope it gets sorted out. I assume you are borrowing or buying potable water. Don't put your health at risk by using water that is not safe for human consumption. A hospital bill is all you need on top of everything else.

                            Question: Home Repair Help for Senior Citizens

                            We have a small leak under our home. The puddle path seems to indicate it is under the kitchen or hall bathroom. I could fix it myself if I was able to go below. Can I get help via California State water conservation program?

                            The leak has apparently come from one of the supply pipes below the house, as I have main line ball valve on the internal house line that stops the leak. There is no leak above floor! I am 79 y.o. with limited mobility. There is small puddling under house. I was unaware of leak until Great Oaks Water Company notified me of above normal usage, when we habitually conserve water very carefully. My wife is 76 y.o.
                            Because of the leak, I keep the water supply turned off unless in immediate use, then turn it off again.

                            By D.S.

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Dinah Ackerson [2]04/09/2015

                            Many people have problems in their homes and need help for plumbing, construction, electric, general repair or to rebuild homes due to fire, flood and other problems that they are not able to afford. Unfortunately, there are no federal, state, county, etc., government agencies that help people needing home repairs in any state.

                            In some areas there may be volunteer, nonprofit, and other entities that might have the resources to help, however, these are usually difficult to find as there is no consolidated center to apply. Also, they may not be active all year, may not receive needed funding and have shut down, etc. You can try researching resources online and contact private and religious entities who may be able to help or suggest other possible resources. Good Luck!

                            Question: Finding Agency to Help Replace Roof

                            I can't get insurance on my home until I put a new roof on it, but I cannot afford to do this. I am a disabled vet and have a limited income. Is there anywhere I can go to get help for this in South Carolina?

                            Thank you for your time.

                            By Wilbur

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Manuela03/14/2015

                            I would try Habitat for Humanity. Good luck!

                            Question: Bathroom Floor Sinking

                            Is there any one or place in Greenville North Carolina where we can go to get help replacing our 6x9 bathroom floor that is sinking in?

                            By Rose from Greenville NC

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Dinah Ackerson [2]03/05/2015

                            You can contact the Better Business Bureau for accredited contractors in your area using this site:
                   ... ry/general-contractors/greenville-nc

                            Question: Finding Plumbing Repair Help for Low Income Homeowner

                            I've been told that I have a hot water slab leak. I'm disabled and live on a fix income. The plumners tell me it's going to cost anywhere from $1000 to $7000 to fix and replace the pipes. I can't afford this cost. Do I have other opions?

                            By Joe

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By PENNY K [15]03/05/2015

                            First, what is leaking? If you live in a large city their probably is an organization that your local social service would know of that does repairs for seniors or people of limited means. Or call a local church known for community work. They probably can think of something. Call Salvation Army or similar.

                            Question: Roof Replacement for Low Income Homeowner

                            I need a new roof and I am very low income. My roof is in total disrepair. I have huge ice dams because of this. I am a single mother with three kids.

                            By Aileen M

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]02/16/2015

                            Actually the fact that you are a single mother with three kids has nothing to do with your problem. You chose that life. When I got divorced in 1983 we chose to sell the house and split the profit. I opted to move into a rented apartment because I wouldn't have to worry about yard work, snow removal, and repairs. It is really nice to call management when something needs to be repaired. Maybe you should sell your house as is and move into a rental. IF you have a pastor talk to him/her. Sometimes they will take up a special offering for a member of the CONGREGATION. There might even be people in the congregation that can help with the repair and maybe even some that can donate some of the materials that are necessary. When the first repair was needed you should have had it taken care of right away. When you do that you have a chance of keeping up with repairs.

                            Question: Finding Help With Roof Repair for Elderly Man

                            My grandfather who will be 80 later this year and is living on Social Security only is in need of some roof repair. My brother and I, with our spouses, have been trying to make the other repairs that are needed. I still have to save the money for painting the inside of the house. The roof caused a leak in the dining room over the table. It has gotten to the point that I and my brother can't keep making all of the repairs and I don't know what else to do. Even if I could get half of the roof done for now I would be ever so grateful. Where can we go?

                            By Jennifer

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]01/27/2015

                            There is a government funded agency that does home repairs for seniors and disabled people. The drawback is I can't tell you the name because I do know it has different names in different states and even different names in different cities in the same state.

                            You might try asking about Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL). If you Dad has a social worker/welfare worker they might know something about it. Otherwise start asking your State and Federal politicians There is a waiting list and it does go by income.

                            That being said, if you can get the repairs made by this organization, your Dad will have to stay in the house for a certain number of years or else pay back the money that was spend on the repairs, on a pro-rated basis.

                            Also from what I have heard, at least in the area where I live they don't do shingles, they do some kind of metal roof. I have been told that doesn't look as nice as shingles would, but it would be better than nothing. Otherwise speak with your Dad's or your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special, anonymous offering for a needy member of the congregation. There might also be members of the congregation that can do the labor and might be some that can furnish some of the necessary materials.

                            Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

                            I have asked many times over the last two years for help with repairing my home. I live in a 1988 mobile home and can not afford to move as I am on a fixed income of 1100.00 a month. Both my husband and I are disabled and do not have any way to get money for repairs to fix my soft floors and repair my bathrooms. Also a 25x14' section of a wall that is about to fall off my bedroom needs repair. I also can not really lock my front door. I need help, where do I go?

                            By Iva D. from Socastee, SC

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]01/23/2015

                            Is the amount listed a total for both of you, or just yours and if it is just yours why aren't you counting your husband's income? I am 74 and retired and my total retirement SS is $700.00 a month. You should have been taking care of one repair at a time as it occurred. That is the affordable way to do it.

                            Question: Agency to Help Senior Citizen Scammed on Roof Repair

                            I heard of a web site that helps people like us, but can't seem to find it. Our roof was leaking terribly. So much that the ceilings started to collapse. We had to move out in October. My husband was in the hospital and then rehab for over a month. I was diagnosed with cancer with doctor appointments, radiation, and chemo to follow.

                            The con artist took close to 24k to do roof, ceilings, painting, and texturing of walls, etc. He was going to also install kitchen cabinets I had purchased. Our roof stands with tar paper on it and nothing else. Basically he demoed the whole house then ran. He also stole fixtures, etc. that I purchased at at Home Depot along with shingles that I purchased.

                            Last time any conversation took place he basically laughed in my face and told me where to go, along with take me to court. It's now Jan 21, 2015 and we still have no home to go too. I have gone to all TV stations, called various organizations to no avail. Is there someone out there left in this world with a heart? I know there is. It's very hard for me asking for help. Any little help would be greatly appreciated. I have Him on my side. I just want my family back into our home.

                            By Becky

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Dinah Ackerson [2]01/24/2015

                            I do not know of any "agency" that can help you in this situation. The only action you may have at this point is to file a legal suit against the contractor and try to recover some of what he stole from you. However, this action will take more money as few lawyers will accept this type of case without a sizable retainer. Also, the contractor either has no money and goods to file against or has protected himself against possible suits by various "legal" or, at least, "unsearchable" methods.

                            You do not say how you came to use the services of this contractor but, as you now know, you can never be too careful in checking the background and business practices of anyone to perform work for you.

                            Question: Roof Repair for Low Income Family

                            Where can I find financial aid for roof repair in Clarksburg? My mom and dad's roof is in need of serious repair and I don't have the money to do it. Can any one offer assistance?

                            By Robert

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By April [185]01/11/2015

                            Where is Clarksburg? Are you in the USA? If you are, then contact your local DFS office (division of family services) and ask them. They should have a listing of resources. Many churches (larger ones) may also have a resource list.

                            Question: Low Income Home Repair Assistance

                            Our fixed mobile home is caving in at the front door, the siding is crumbling. We are seeking help with very low income. Where can we go?

                            By Ella

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Dinah Ackerson [2]01/03/2015

                            This is a federal website you can try:

                            Question: Help With Heating Repair

                            My heater has gone out, and I can't afford the amount other companies will charge me. I lost my business in this economy, and my credit is shot. It's cold in my house. I need help. Is there any one who can help me?

                            By Rosetta Jackson-Lott

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By cybergrannie [30]01/04/2015

                            Someone may be able to tell you an agency to contact but since no one has any idea as to where you live (state? country?) then it may not really be of help.

                            I would advise you to put your question on Google with your city, state, etc and you may find help.

                            Question: Home Repair for Low Income Individuals

                            My dad has had his house for a while now. I moved out because it was falling apart. The bathroom, kitchen, and the floors and walls need serious help. Six of the windows need to be replaced because of termite damage. Termite damage is all though the house. Two doors also need to be replaced.

                            By T

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By cybergrannie [30]01/01/2015

                            It would appear that your father's house may be condemned as not suitable/safe to live in.

                            You or he can apply to your local community agencies to get names of organizations that sometimes offer help/assistance to low income families but I do not believe you will find anyone who would attempt to do this much repair.

                            You do not mention what type of "low income" your father receives but it appears he may be receiving food stamps and be on Medicaid?

                            It will probably be suggested that your father move to more suitable/safe shelter but he may have to assign his "property" to the state if he needs special care. Most people do not realize that the state can obtain property to help pay for expenses the state puts out for their care. This can appear as a lien on the property and some states can actually sell the property to retrieve their "output" funds (after the persons dies).

                            Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Seniors

                            My 90 year old father recently had a fall into the bathtub. He was not hurt, thank God, but I feel that he has an urgent need to make the bathroom safer. I am able bodied, can pay for materials for the refit, but have no knowledge or skills in plumbing or tile work. Are there any organizations that have skilled labor volunteers that can guide or teach low income families how to do repairs themselves?

                            By Laurie B from Finksburg, MD

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]12/30/2014

                            Did he fall into the bathtub because repairs were needed in the bathroom or because he has a hard time getting in and out of the tub? If he needs a walk in shower because of his age and mobility problems, there should be an organization in your area that can take care of something like that. I know there is a nation wide organization that pays for things like that for seniors and people with disabilities. It has different names in different states and even in different cities in each state.

                            Ask at the Department of Social Services, even the County might know of the organization. Look in the phone book for anything that might sound like they do this kind of work. Also if they do repairs for a person, and the person would end up having to go into a nursing home or something and a certain number of years hasn't passed, a portion of the repair cost will have to be paid back. Also google for information on replacing a tub with a walk in shower, yourself. I know of people that have done things like that themselves.

                            Question: Need Help with Plumbing

                            I'm having trouble with my plumbing and winterizing my home. I'm out of water as of now. I'm a one income household. Trying to live on $8.35 a hour. I'm attempting to pay heat, mortgage, electric, and all other bills. Could really use some help.

                            By Lisa

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By joan [6]07/07/2015

                            I bo't a house that needed reno just to bring it up to safe standards. Our winters get to -30 and the walls were cold. Lucky us the wall finish was wall board which we could pop off and reuse. The old disintegrating insulation was replaced then the wall covered with vapor barrier. We could immediately feel a difference as we worked around the house. That reduced heating costs. You can learn how to solder, call your friends until you find someone willing to teach you. Hubby told me if you think it's hot enough, get it hotter. He was right.

                            Question: Repairing a Broken Water Line

                            Who can I call? My main water line broke and my water bill is already $225. I'm disabled and only my wife works part time. We are in bad need of a low cost plumber to replace the line.

                            By John

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Dinah Ackerson [2]12/21/2014

                            You can call the water company and ask if they have suggestions that might work for you. They may be able to direct you to resources in your area.

                            Question: Getting Materials to Finish Rebuild on Home

                            My husband's grandmother is an elderly woman who recently retired. She started rebuilding her home, but it abruptly came to a halt because there was not enough materials to finish the job. How do we go about getting her help? She's very deserving, and gives anything she has to whoever may need it, regardless if it's her last! Can you help us find some help?

                            By J. Beck

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By cybergrannie [30]12/20/2014

                            Holiday time may not be the best time to try and get help with projects that "can wait". Maybe after the first of the year someone could canvas the community service centers and see what can be done.

                            Sad to say that how "good" someone is will probably not have any baring on getting help with this sort of thing - unless - you can find some volunteers who know of her generosity and kindness. Also, you did not mention her true financial situation or whether she could borrow the money for material.

                            All of this would be taken into account before financial help would be offered.

                            Try to have some happy holidays and start looking in the new year.

                            Question: Finding Agency to Help With Home Repairs

                            I am 47 yrs. old and I live in the house I was born and raised in. It's built on a crawl space. It's almost 1200 sq. ft. carport and all. My floors (sub-floors) need to be replaced and my walls in the bathroom need to be redone. I have some mold in my bathroom and my kitchen sink is leaking so badly that I have to keep a bowl under it and keep it emptied. I don't have a dishwasher. I'm the dishwasher. I have done some of the walls and I can't do it any more because my body can't take it.

                            I'm on disability and I have a lot of problems. I live off of $706 a month and that barely gets my bills paid. I don't know where to go to get help. I just pray that you can lead me in the right direction to find help.

                            My laundry room is outside and I wish I felt better and I would knock out this coat closet in my dining room and open it up to the laundry room and lock the door to the laundry room so that I could just stay warm and also make an area to hang my clothes when I take them out of the dryer.

                            Back to the kichen the leaking under the sink has gotton so bad that it's ruined my cabinets. Someone really needs to look at my house it's to hard for me to explain. But I would be extremely grateful. I can't afford it. It makes me depressed and as a woman I want to make my house to look nice. My mother died last year and both of my children moved out not at the same time but within a few months of one another. I'm alone and I have no help. I also have siezures and I would be glad to help as much as I can and would be happy to run errands fix lunch. Just anything if I can get some help. Thank you very much.

                            By Cindy

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]12/15/2014

                            Having somebody look at your house isn't going to help you find the help you need. The time to make affordable repairs is do them one at a time as they occur. There is a an organization that helps seniors and people on disability with home repairs. I don't know what it is called where you live. It is nationwide and government funded, even in each state, it is called different things in different towns. You do have to meet income guidelines, and there is a waiting list. I'm not sure, but I think the basic name of the organization is Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL). That could be what it is called here, and not all over. Talk to your Social Worker/Welfare Worker at the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office and see if they know anything. I assume you have one of these if you are actually low income. Providing you qualify and the repairs are made you will have to stay in your house for a certain number of years or else pay back the money on a pro-rated basis. Myself I would sell the house as is and move into an apartment, even if it was only an efficiency apartment. In a rental you don't have to worry about repairs, yard work, etc.

                            Question: Home Repair Grants for a Disabled Woman

                            I had a roof that leaked and now have mold in several rooms, also with windows that are rotting out, and holes in my floors. I do not have money to fix these problems. Are there any grants for someone like me?

                            By Deborah from Sparta, NC

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By cybergrannie [30]12/12/2014

                            I assume you are talking about a house you either own or that you are buying.

                            You will have to research what type of help is available in your area.

                            Grants are rarely giving for things like this and I have found that a "grant" is not easy to obtain for anything. Lots of paperwork.

                            You are looking at costly major repairs that may be impossible to get done unless your area has companies that "donate" work like this.

                            Have you asked for help at your church?
                            You can ask for assistance at your Salvation Army as they usually have names of companies and community organizations that offer help to qualified families in need.

                            It is possible you will be advised to move if your house is deemed "unsafe" or unhealthy due to the mold.

                            Getting this kind of help is not always easy as you will be required to "prove" that your "extra" finances are nonexistent and that you cannot find a way to pay for these repairs. Also, that you are too disabled to do any of the work yourself. This may sound harsh but these organizations get hundreds of requests for help each year so they have to try and help the most "needy". As a general rule - families with children will be at the top of the list.

                            You can try calling 211 (or research 211 on your Internet) as this is a service that has names of organizations that may be able to help.

                            Question: Home Repair for Low Income Families

                            I'm looking for help for my parents. My grandmother passed away in 1998 leaving my mother to take care of her handicapped daughter (my mother's sister). My parents got her an apartment which was damaged in the 2006 tornado in Caruthersville. She had to move because it wasn't safe to live there anymore. My parents moved her in with them. In 2013 my father had a massive stroke that left him unable to move his right side. My parents also had to take in my nephew and niece because the state took them from their mother. My parents' house is in need of repairs and a handicapped accessible room for my aunt. I really need to know what to do.

                            By Mel

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By cybergrannie [30]12/11/2014

                            We really do not know where you (or your parents) live but the answers will almost always be the same. Try calling 211 on your phone as there are a lot of "services" listed that may be able to help you find help. There is also information over the Internet if you Google 211.

                            Many community service organizations - Salvation Army for one - may be able to help you find someone to talk to. Your local church may also provide helpful information.

                            It appears there may be an "overload" of people living under one roof and this may become an even bigger problem in the future. How many of these people are receiving government assistance? How many are able to work and provide for their own care?

                            Lots of questions will be asked before any kind of financial assistance will be provided.

                            Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Person

                            I am handicapped, on a limited income and unable to repair my home. I need help. My home is falling apart and needs all kinds of repair.
                            Where can I get help? I have no money for my repair work. I have bad a credit report.

                            By Michael W.

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By J'Marinde [6]12/04/2014

                            1. Contact the Salvation Army in your area.
                            2. Do you have a "Little Brothers of the Poor" organization in your area? Try calling them.
                            3. contact Big Brothers/Big Sisters
                            4. Try contacting the United Way. They have a 211 service that will provide you with information for help with what you are seeking for your needs, and they are very good at this.
                            5. If you have any senior's organizations in your area, contact them and tell them of your needs. They may have referrals for you.
                            Do a Google search using your location and, "help for seniors, disabled, low-income" etc., as appropriate to your needs.
                            I wish you well in this and if I can be of any more support or assistance, please let me know. I do no-cost advocacy for such things in my job, and I will be very happy to try to help you.

                            Question: Home Repair Assistance Agencies

                            Can you please tell me what I could do to get help with a heat/air pump and some floor repairs? I live soley on one check a month and I have a 3 yr old here 75% of the time.

                            By Tonya P.

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By cybergrannie [30]11/13/2014

                            It may be easier for someone to offer advice if they knew where (what country? state?) but basic answers may still be the same.

                            If you are receiving assistance/benefits for your (?) child, then a good place to start is with the agency supplying that assistance.
                            If not then try some of the agencies like Salvation Army. They may have a list of agencies that help needy families with repairs, etc. Try your local church - if you do not have one you attend - now may be a good time to start.

                            You can also Google your question with your local county or city.

                            Question: Finding Help With Roof Repair

                            I'm on disability, I don't have the funds to fix my roof. It is leaking in the bathroom and bedroom and there might be mold around the window. How can I get help for this please?

                            By J Hacker

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Cathy11/07/2014

                            Call the United Fund - their number is 211. They can put you in touch with any help that is in your area.

                            Question: Plumbing Repair for Low Income Homeowner

                            I am a 66 year old female with a low fixed income. Currently the hot water faucet in my bathtub is leaking badly. In the past 48 hours the leak has put from one to three inches of warm water into the tub that I have plugged closed. Yesterday, October 12, 2014, I endeavered to do what repairs I could do myself. I purchased a package of replacement gaskets and some tools that I could use for the repair. I was successful in removing the handle, collar, and the 'hex shaped nut' holding the stem in place. Each of the mentioned item were badly covered in chemical crystal from water.
                            Now came the heartbreaking part. When I tried to pull the stem from the pipe, it wouldn't budge. I phoned a plumbing supply store to ask for assistance in what to do to remove the stem. Their answer was that I would have to use a blow torch to break the item loose.
                            I have no means to hire a plumber to do that service and know of no person who would be able to do that process. I then replaced the parts that had been removed, recaulked the area and turned the water back on.
                            Help! Where do I turn? Who can I call? Today, I phoned the water service department in my city and asked for help. Naturally, their answer was 'hire a plumber'. I then asked if it was permitted for me to turn off the water to my house. The answer was that the meter was city property and that I should call them to turn it off for me. As any damage would be my cost if I did it myself.
                            Any help would be welcome. Can there be a service available for my need?

                            By E. Brown

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Stephanie [147]10/15/2014

                            Check with your County Offices - the local Housing Finance Association (HFA) or HUD (Office of Housing and Urban Development) often have low income emergency home repair programs that can help you. You can also check with local churches, senior centers and see if they can connect you with local resources that can help.

                            Question: Repair Help for Senior Neighbor in Need

                            I have a elderly neighbor, a widow, whose house and yard are in a lot of need. I do what I can for her, but I can't roof or saw down trees. I was just taking a chance, to see if she can get help. I have only talked to her about 4 x's. I really hope you can point me to help. TY

                            By Shirley

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By likekinds [67]10/02/2014

                            I don't have an exact answer for you, but I would suggest you check with the city in which this lady lives. Many cities have Habitat programs offering no interest loans and forgivable loans to those who qualify. These loans allocate funds for bringing homes from a substandard level to one which meets all present city codes.

                            If the house is in truly bad shape, the lady may qualify for an emergency forgivable loan, which would cover major items such as a new roof, at no cost to her.

                            Question: Roof Repair of Low Income Families

                            I live in Ohio and I just found out I need a new roof on my house. I am totally disabled and live on Social Security only. I have no other assets. Where I find help?

                            By BJP

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]07/23/2014

                            There is a nationwide organization that helps seniors and disabled people with home repairs. I can't tell you the name of it because it has different names in different locations, even in different cities in the same state. I THINK most of the time it is referred to as Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL). They go by income, and let's face it some people get a large amount for disability.

                            I have a friend who between disability from the state where she was injured on the job, Federal government disability(SSD), her retirement SS and her ex-husbands retirement SS, she gets well over $2,000 a month and complains about not being able to do this or that. I live off $700 a month retirement SS and manage to get by.

                            That being said back in 1983 I decided to move into an apartment (I was 43), and don't have to worry about lawn care, snow removal, etc. I also don't have to worry about home repairs, heat, water, sewer, garbage, and my cable is also included in the rent as a thank you for renting from the landlord.

                            That being said, if a person does get help from the nationwide organization, they have to stay in the home for a certain number of years or else pay back on a pro-rated basis. I have a sister who got help from them and ended up having to go into a nursing home, and when her house was sold, a portion of what she made on the sale had to go to pay back the organization that repaired her home. There is also a waiting list to get this help.

                            Speak with your social worker/welfare worker at the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. Also I don't know if the Salvation Army where you live would help. This summer in the city where I live they have volunteers from different businesses that are volunteering to paint houses for seniors. My guess is for the repairs that you need they would have to find volunteers from a building supply place or something. Your best bet will be to ask questions.

                            Question: Electrical Home Improvement

                            I live in Luzerne County Pennsylvania and I'm disabled and need electrical work done, but am on a low income. I noticed other counties in Pennsylvania have home repair assistance, but see none for our county. Would you know of any programs that I could take advantage of in my county?

                            By Denise W.

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]05/07/2014

                            How much work do you need done, and if it is a large amount, you should have had it done in small increments. Also is it a matter of necessity or for something that you want in the line of entertainment? There is a nationwide government organization that will help elderly and disabled people with home repairs. It has different names in different states and even in different cities within a state.

                            You will have to do some research to find it because I only know about it by word of mouth. Whether or not they can help you will depend on the type of electrical work you need done and whether or not what you consider to be a disability is actually a disability. There is also a waiting list and it does depend on income. Also if they do repairs for a person that person has to stay in the home for a certain number of years and if for some reason they have to move out of the home, they have to repay the cost of the repairs on a pro-rated basis.

                            I know of some disabled people that work enough hours that they earn $900 a month and there is a way that they can still keep their medicaid. When people own a home they should budget a certain amount every month for repairs that might be needed. You can also call 211, it is a nationwide clearing house that has a list of organizations that will help people with various things, depending on your locality.

                            Question: Finding Low Income Family Home Repair Assistance

                            My dad is in desperate need of help in repairing his house, it's falling apart. He can't afford to repair it. His ceiling had a small fire due to really old wiring, one bathroom shower is leaking water under the house. The attic is too old to go into, you might fall through. The ceiling in room was repaired, but is falling through again, due to, yet again water damage. The house is super cold in the winter and deathly hot in the summer. Poorly ventilated. Oh yes, the house may have a problem with the breakers.

                            He really needs help fixing his house up, please advise!

                            By Adrianna R.

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]05/02/2014

                            It is cheaper to make repairs one at a time, as the need occurs. There is a nationwide organization that is government based that will help seniors and the disabled with things like that. I don't know the name of it because it has different names in different states and even in different cities.

                            From what I understand they do have limits on the cost of repairs and there is a waiting list. Also, if for some reason you father would have to leave the house before a certain number of years had elapsed the repair money would have to be paid back on a pro-rated basis. You could also talk to your Dad's pastor. Sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation and there might even be some members of the church that could do some of the repair work and maybe even some that could donate some of the necessary materials. You will have to do some investigating in your area to find the organization I told you about.

                            Question: House Needs a Lot of Repair

                            My grandma and I live in the house she owns. When she first bought it no one took the time to tell her it had caught on fire, let alone that there's no foundation to the home. The house is literally caving in on us. It's so bad I have trouble sleeping at night. The ceilings are falling in, the walls are starting to fall in as well, the walls are separating from the floor and we can see how the house is just sitting on the ground, the floors are also giving out even upstairs. Our electric is so bad that we barely have outlets to use because they all keep blowing.

                            She paid someone to fix the electric and redo all of it, but instead he pocketed all the money and left all the old electric wiring and never even finished the job. She took a loan out on the house for the guy to fix the house, but it's worse than ever and she's scared if she leaves they'll come after her. I'm so scared my grandma, our beloved dog, and myself are going to have the house fall on us. I need advice please because we have no where else to go.

                            By Elissa

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]05/02/2014

                            When you grandma bought the house she should have had it inspected before the final purchase and if the person selling the house refused to make needed repairs she shouldn't have bought the house. Who was helping your grandma to make sure she didn't make unwise purchases?

                            There is a nationwide government sponsored organization that will help seniors and disabled people make home repairs. I don't know the name of it because it has different names in different states and even different cities. That being said from the things you said is wrong with the house I don't think they would do all of the repairs.

                            Also, if for some reason you and your grandma would have to leave the house before a certain amount of time elapses the repairs have to be paid back on a pro-rated basis. IF you are as hard up as you say you must have a social worker/welfare worker with the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. If you do talk to that person and see if they know of any help you can get. Also talk to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation and their might even be people in the congregation that can do the work or even donate some of the necessary materials.

                            Is the house completely paid for? If so, I don't know who would come after you folks, the only thing that could happen is the County could eventually sell if for unpaid taxes, which from the way the house sounds, would be no big loss.

                            Question: Help with Rebuild After Fire

                            I need help rebuilding my house, after we lost everything. My fiancee and I have three kids. We have been together for ten years. We have a two, three, and eight year old. We have no money or material. Looking for help. I have no clue where to start or where to find the right help. Anything would help. Thank you.

                            By Jon H. Joplin, MO

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]04/10/2014

                            Did you have homeowner's insurance on your house? If you did you should have made sure to have enough coverage that you could afford to rebuild. It is really inexpensive to have insurance, instead of having to worry about a place to live. As far as finding the materials and labor to rebuild I don't know what to tell you. I know some areas have a store called "Restore" which is connected with Habitat For Humanity they sell used doors, windows, cabinets, etc. cheaply but those things won't do you any good without lumber for the frame work, etc.

                            Question: Help Fixing Floors and Roof

                            My daughter is disabled and has 3 children. She is buying a house and doesn't have the funds to fix it. Is there anywhere she can get help with this? She can't even get her home owner's insurance because of this problem.

                            By Becky P.

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Louise B. [5]04/04/2014

                            I don't have any answers for how to get help, but I do question the wisdom of buying a house that is already falling apart. If one is a handyperson, there might be sense in this, but if your daughter is disabled, how does this make sense? Home ownership is one repair and maintenance task after another, especially if it is an older home.

                            Is there not some sort of subsidized housing in your area where rent is based on income? This is a much better way to go. My cousin in her 60's who lives on a very small fixed income has a lovely little rental unit that she can afford, all home repairs and yard care taken care of. There are also units in our town that someone with children would qualify for. I think this whole idea of home ownship should be rethought; I don't think, from your description, that it is affordable or prudent.

                            Question: Applying for Home Repair Assistance in Kentucky

                            My mother is disabled, only has one hand. She's raising my niece who has cerebral palsy. Her house is in desperate need of many repairs. Two ceilings have fallen down in rooms, it has water leaks causing floors to begin rotting, needs new roof, outside guttering, and much more actually. My mom and niece both receive SSI, barely enough to pay their bills. If anyone knows of any kind of assistance I may be able to apply for to help my mom, I'd greatly appreciate it.

                            By Althea M.

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]03/18/2014

                            Repairs should have been made one at a time as needed, that way it would be more affordable. That being said, there is a nationwide organization that helps senior citizens and disabled people with home repairs. It has different names in different states and cities. You can probably find out about it by talking to your mothers social worker with the Department of Social Services/welfare office. There is a waiting list and help does depend on income.

                            What some people consider low income isn't necessarily low income. Also if people get help from this organization you have to stay in the home for a certain number of years. If for some reason you have to leave the house before that time limit you have to payback the amount on a pro-rated basis.

                            I have a sister who received repairs from the organization and then ended up having to go into a nursing home, then when her house got sold she had to pay back some money on a pro-rated basis. Also your mother is the one that is going to have to apply for help, not you. If you have a pastor talk to him, sometimes they will take up a special offering in church for a needy member of the congregation. Maybe it is time to sell the house as it, and move into an apartment.

                            Question: Older Trailer Repairs

                            I own 1979 trailer house. It needs some floors replaced. The windows are getting bad, and the frame around the front door is getting weak. Not sure what to think. Both my wife and I are on disablitiy and can not afford payment on a new trailer house.

                            By Delmar S. from Alliance NE

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By Sandi/Poor But Proud [424]02/28/2014

                            This is what I got when I googled energy assistance Nebraska They are a good place to start. In most states, if you have Native American blood in you you don't have to wait as long. I don't know about Nebraska but it is that way in Oregon. If you also know anyone from church, community centers, or the local Habitat for Humanity, they can help, too. I hope that helps.

                            Question: Getting Help to Repair a Heat Pump

                            I live in Mt. Sterling Kentucky. I am low income, live on fixed income. Is there help for this?

                            By Ron

                            Most Recent Answer

                            By redhatterb [1]02/08/2014

                            Depending on your age and whether or not you are disabled all states have an organization that will help low income people with home repairs. You do have to qualify income wise. Just because you feel low income doesn't mean you will be considered low income. This organization is called different things in different states and even in different cities in the same state.

                            Where I live it is called the Independent Living Center and 200 miles away it is called Opportunities for Independent Living (OIL). There are many other names for it. If a person qualifies they do have to wait to have the repairs done until somebody is available to do them. That being said I know there are requirements as to how long a person has to stay in the home after the repairs have been made(year wise).

                            If a person leaves the home before that time is up, they have to pay off the repairs in pro-rated manner. If you are low enough income to have a social/welfare worker talk to that person about it. Also if you have a pastor talk to them about it. Sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation.

                            Question: Help Repairing AC for Cancer Patient

                            My boyfriend is suffering from a head tumor that's cancerous and needs to stay cool. However my central air conditioning is broken and I can't afford the repair. Is there any government program that may help with assistance?

                              By [1]

                              Question: Home Repair Assistance for Military Family

                              My granddaughter and 3 children are trying to move into their home husband was deployed may 8th and had bought a home and it needed renovations and he deployed before. It was finished any org. Out there to help her finished so her and kids can move in

                                By Rita W. [1]

                                Question: Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Families

                                Are there any programs that can help me rebuild my home from inside and paint it? It needs a new roof. The income we get is from SSI and I am unable to stay alone at all 24 hrs a day so my husband is unable to work. Please can anyone tell me where I can get help or find organizations that help?

                                  By rachel montez [1]

                                  Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Family

                                  I left my home of 12 years 4 years ago to help raise my grandchildren. There are a lot of repairs to be done and no money for lumber and bathroom toilets. The driveway has been washed out very badly. Does anyone know any places that help low income people get help with these things?

                                    By Melanie Baker H. [1]

                                    Question: Home Repair Assistance

                                    I am a widow, disabled, raising a daughter. Our home is flooding on a regular basis. Water is leaking in the walls. There are a number of other issues that need attention, possible foundation etc.
                                    I can't afford any repairs over a couple hundred dollars. How can I get assistance? I live is Missouri, St. Louis County. Any help would be wonderful.

                                    By Elisabeth

                                    Question: Financial Assistance for Plumbing Repair

                                    I am a senior citizen living on Social Security only. I believe a pipe under my house has broken and the kitchen sink won't drain. A power snake would not open up the drain and came in contact with regular dirt. My house is built on a cement slab and the cement will have to be busted to do repairs, costing thousands of dollars. Where can I get help?

                                    By Shirley

                                    Question: Home Repair Assistance for Seniors

                                    I just discovered today that my hot water heater metal pipe has been leaking. It is located in one of my bedrooms used as storage. This may have been happening for awhile, as there is mold smell in room. I will be assessing the damage as soon as possible, but assume the carpet will have to go, flooring and possibly walls (all or lower). I have dry wall on walls. The house is about 12 years old, a Fuqua manufactured home, bought new. I have well water, which I was told can be corrosive on metal pipes. I am only working one day a week and cannot afford this catastrophic kind of repairs. Is there any kind of financial help available for me? My son also lives with me and is going to school full time, and depending on me for support.

                                    By Kathy S.

                                    Question: Finding Financial Help With Home Repairs

                                    I am disabled and on a fixed income. I need mobile home repairs. Any suggestions?

                                    By Paula

                                    Question: Financial Help With Electrical Repairs

                                    I am a low income single mother. I need assistance with electrical wiring for my home. This house is old and has many issues. I am trying to make it. I have a 12 year old disabled daughter. How can I get help, please?

                                    By S. Reeder

                                    Question: Plumbing Repair for Low Income Homeowner

                                    I am disabled and own my home. The main water line into my house needs to be replaced due to tree roots. I have no way to pay for this large job and I don't know where to turn for help. What can I do?

                                    By Beth

                                    Question: Home Repair Assistance for Disabled Veteran

                                    My house is falling apart and I'm running out of things to sell. I can't afford to move so the only thing I seem to achive is patch and pray. Is there anything that can be done or anyone who can point me in the right direction to fix the problem?

                                    -I am a disabled marine.

                                    By Joseph

                                    Question: Finding Help With Home Repairs for Low Income Families

                                    Can I get free help to fix a water line in my home? If yes who would I call?

                                    By Farida

                                    Question: Fixing Lateral Sewer Defect

                                    I was told there is a sewer lateral defect in my underground plumbing outside of my house that I'm responsible for. I don't have any money. I have tried the H.E.L.P program but was told that I am not eligible. My water has been turned off, because the defect was not fixed. I am a single mother who has been assisting my aunt who passed away in October from cervical cancer. I am just trying to get everthing back together at my house and now this. I really need help.

                                    By Crystal

                                    Question: Household Mold Problem

                                    mold on wallMy house have a very bad mold problem. I see myself getting sick often. This situation is worrying me. My husband and I have a very low income. We would love to repair this problem, before it gets worse. How can I get help to fix this mold problem? Do you know where I should go for help?

                                    By Alba O.

                                    Question: Finding Plumbing Repair for Low Income Homeowner

                                    I was recently laid off from a job after 27 years and I am struggling just to meet bills. I have apparently developed a leak in the slab of my house and my water bill has quadrupled. I really need this repaired ASAP. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this situation?

                                    By Valerie T

                                    Question: Finding Free Roof Repair Assistance

                                    I own my home and have my sister and her son and another nephew who live with me. I had a very bad leak in the kitchen and submitted a claim to my house insurance. My insurance company is about to cancel my house insurance due to the fact they say our roof needs to be replaced. We are all disabled here and are living month to month. We have been denied help due to the fact we have an apartment in our home, but it is or family use only. My one nephew who lives in this apartment is just currently disabled and his mother pays enough rent to cover the taxes. We have no money left after other household repairs and expenses. Any info on obtaining a much needed free roof would be so appreciated.

                                    By Regina

                                    Question: Finding Help With Home Repairs

                                    peeling wallpaper and missing carpetMy home is in need of many repairs and renovations. I do not have the money needed to cover the expense of the much needed repairs. Is there somewhere I can turn to get assistance repairing my home? The department of neighborhood services has determined that I must make repairs to my home. I have contacted my alderman, but was told there is no money available in my neighborhood to make the repairs. I am being assessed a fee monthly to make these repairs. I have purchased some new windows and painted the outside of the house.

                                    Since then, my home was broken into and I had to buy two security doors and a back door. I am out of money to do the rest of the repairs. Do you know of anyplace that I can turn for help?

                                    By Debra S.

                                    Question: Finding Help with Home Repairs

                                    I am a woman living all alone. I have a house and am on disability. I need repairs to my house. How do I go about getting help?

                                    By Rachel from Sylacauga, AL

                                    Question: Finding Discounted Repair for a Heat Pump

                                    My mother is a widow in Vegas. Her heat pump stopped working. Is there a place that would offer discounted services to fix it?

                                    By Denny M

                                    Question: Help Getting My Septic Tank Fixed

                                    My septic tank is not working properly. Water is coming up out the ground. I've had it dug up and sucked out 6 months ago, and the company told me it would be at least 10,000 dollars to repair it. I do not have that kind of money; not even a quarter of that amount. I have bad credit, so no one will finance the work for me now. I don't know what to do. I need help very bad.

                                    By Rodney W from Snell Ville, GA

                                    Question: Help Paying for Foundation Repair

                                    My parents are low income and are in need of the foundation repaired on their home. Two of the walls are bowed in by 4 inches. It is definitely a structural issue. We got an estimate, but not sure if there are organizations that help with the cost. They live in Wisconsin. Any help in where to look would be great!

                                    By S. Berger

                                    Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

                                    I need to have my water heater replaced. It's starting to leak. Where or who on Staten Island, New York can help a low income senior citizen?

                                    By Mary from Staten Island, NY

                                    Question: Finding Agency to Help With Roof Repair

                                    Can someone tell me where I can get help repairing a roof because it is harmful to me and my kids? I have heart problems and I really need help.

                                    By nubian queen from Detroit, MI

                                    Question: Roof Repair for Low Income Families

                                    Is there help for a low income disabled single parent of two young children for emergancy home repair in Tulare county California?

                                    By Robert

                                    Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

                                    I'm trying to find somewhere in Texas that does home repairs for low income families and disabled people.

                                    By Tara

                                    Question: Roof Repair Help for Low Income Family

                                    My mom is desperate need of roof repair but absolutely cannot afford it. In our house money has always been tight but growing up my sister and I never knew it. My mom has always gone out of her way for us. There were times she would forego a meal so that we could eat. Right now my sister is in college and my mom is helping her with every penny she can. The issue is the roof above her bedroom is leaking and has already caused a bubble on the ceiling. Is there someone I can contact to help her with repairs? Maybe a nonprofit or group that I can contact?

                                    By Mike M.

                                    Question: Getting Help to Repair Electrical Main Connection

                                    The city of Los Angeles broke my main electric line. I have no power in some parts of the house. How can I get some help to fix it? I still do not have full power after a week and I have to install the connection on the roof.
                                    I can't afford the repairs. I am on disability.

                                    By Marta

                                    Question: Home Sewer Repair Help

                                    I am on disability and for a week I have no drainage in my home. I can't effort any plumber.
                                    How can I get some help? It's an emergency! Where can I look?

                                    By Marta

                                    Question: Low Income Roof Repair

                                    My mom owns a manufactured home but not the land. Her roof needs to be repaired and she is very low income and can't afford to have it fixed. Her SSI is only around 900.00 a month I think. Is there anyone you could refer her to? She lives in Salem, OR

                                    By Dorie

                                    Question: Water Heater Leak

                                    My water heater leaks. I have kids in the home and no money. It is starting to have a odor. Any ideas for finding help to fix it?

                                    By Cheyanna T.

                                    Question: Help With Roof Replacement

                                    I'm in desperate need of a roof replacement. I'm on SSI and only get 721.00 a month. Please if there's any help in the Manistee County, Michigan area please advise. Thank you.

                                    By Cindy

                                    Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Senior in Florida

                                    My co-worker's mother's house has water damage and mold. She is on a fixed income, is a senior citizen, and has breathing problems. Her insurance doesn''t cover it all. Where can she get help in Florida in fixing her home?

                                    By Odine

                                    Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

                                    My neighbor is disabled and not able to work. His wife works and makes little and his mother lives with them and makes a little, also a mentally disabled brother. They have no insurance and have needed a roof for over a year, the church helped as best as they could, but we are a small church and the repairs didn't last on the roof. We got metal from the church and someone put on for free, but did a poor job and the wind the other day blew it off. They really need home repairs, a new roof, ceiling in bedroom fell in from leaking and electrical work. Is there someone or some way we get some help for them?

                                    By Sharon from Granbury, TX

                                    Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

                                    Is there any help for gas line repair? I am on a fixed income.

                                    By Marsha

                                    Question: Roof Repair for Low Income Senior

                                    My mother's roof is about to fall through, she does not have the funds to get it repaired, she has low income. How can we get help for her? She is ill and is 90 years of age. She lives in California, in the Contra Costa area.

                                    By R. M. from Richmond, CA

                                    Question: Roof Leaks After Repairs

                                    My roof was put on Jan 2013 and it still leaks. The roofer that put it on will not fix the problems. What can I do? It is hopeless. I have no money to repair my so called roofl

                                    By Cathy T.

                                    Question: Finding Help for Home Repair

                                    How can I enter my 82yr old mom in a contest to get help or remodel her home and/or repairs? She doesn't fit any government criteria for assistance. I've searched everywhere. Who can we contact to ask for a home remodeling project to my mom's house? My mom is amazing. She's always helping everyone in anyway she can. She is a God-fearing woman with a huge heart. She is always putting everybody else first instead of herself. She has a small 2 bedroom home in a nice diverse neighborhood. Who can we call or email our story to for help?

                                    By Brenda

                                    Question: Roof Repairs for Low Income Families

                                    I own my own house, have a low income and a disabled son, and we need a new roof. I have not got the money to have it done. I can't get loans for it do. Does anyone know who I can get to help me?

                                    By Ruth

                                    Question: Low Income Home Repair Help in England

                                    My sister Sheri lives in Nailsworth Glouster England. Sadly, my sis suffers very badly with huge mental health problems not helped by her lovely cottage falling into disrepair over the years. Currently my sis lives with no water, no heat, no kitchen, or bathroom, generally in the winter it is colder inside her home than outside. I have very little money and the task is now to big, as it is almost a renovation project. Sadly my sis is very suicidal and self harms, she is very clever, but work never seems to work out, often not getting paid and hence has been left in financial ruin. Does anyone know of an agency that can help her with repairs?

                                    By Cara from Cirencester, England

                                    Solutions: Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

                                    Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!