Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

Filter Sort

Question: My House is Falling Apart

My husband died in 1999, and he left me a 80 year old home. The floors are caving in, and the walls are busted. The roof is falling in and it's raining in the house and all I can do is pray. I've tried fixing it myself but all I can do is live in it because I have no where else to go. Can you please give me some advise?

Denise

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Obtain a reverse mortgage, look for information on internet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Financial Assistance for Roof Repair for Seniors

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,776 Flag

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.

Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Home Renovation?

By julia latimer-blake 1

I have a home and it is in need of great repair. I don't have the money to pay for renovation and I would like to know if there is a free program on TV that I can enter or a company that will do it for free? I have 12 grandchildren and I would like for them to continue enjoying it with me. Some live with me. Will explain in great length. Thanks.

By Julia from Easley, SC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By duckiedpl.dl 1 Flag

I live in a two family. My landlord is a disabled senior citizen who is on a very low fixed income. She has no funds to restore her house and lives by herself with no children. She struggles day by day unfortunately the house is in desperate need of repair especially the roof there are lots of birds at the moment nesting all in the roof and its rotting away.

There are leaks when it rains and I've spoken to her on occasion about fix this problem, but unfortunately she really can't afford to do so the house is adorable but the outside needs paint or even venal siding. Is there anything thing that could be done to help this wonderful women? Thank you. Fall River, MA 

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Home Repair Help for People on Fixed Low Incomes

By Sharon 1

My mom and dad live on a very strict social security budget. Their floors in their small home are falling down, the pipes are old and run. They need some help really badly. They can't afford much and I can help work, but not much money to pay out for someone to repair their home. Any help that they can get would be very welcome. They are 80 and 81 years old. Is there any help available for them?

By Sharon from Paris, KY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Taylor 15 427 Flag

I volunteer for a national charity called Love,INC. We do exactly what you are asking for! Here's a link to the website with locations in each state. Call the one closest to your parents. They'll be happy to help!

http://www.loveinc.org/our-work/locations/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

January 1, 2014Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136 Flag

January 3, 2014Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

PBP

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Help With Home Repairs

My husband and I are caring for our 2 grandkids and the DFS just came and took them to foster care due to the fact that we can't afford repairs and remodling on our house. My husband is not in good health and the house is over 100 years old.

By Shannon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cathy333 4 29 Flag

You might also check with your city of county offices. Sometimes they have home rehabilitative programs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

By Brandy Peffer P. 1

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally.

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

sagging carpet
    Home Repair Assistance for Low Income FamilyHome Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

I agree that you can learn to be a real DIYer. Lots of people have learned to make home repairs and taken on renovations.

However, if that is mold I'm seeing in those pictures, it is not safe to live in, even temporarily. And it does look like part of the floor has rotted and caved. If that is the case, it is not safe to stand on.

Only the homeowner really knows whether the home is livable even in the short term.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Organizations That Help With Home Repair

I didn't know if any of the organizations you would know of help young families repair their homes. I have a 1 year old and 1 on the way I don't have the money to fix my roof. My pipes are all bad, the floors are weak, and my siding is gone. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be great :(

By Martha S

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie 32 893 Flag

I would like to add - redhatterb has an excellent point about contacting Habitat but their program is not for everyone as you do have a thorough evaluation before they agree to help you.

I work with Habitat and theirs is not a "give away" program like so many other organizations.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Seniors

How can my mom qualify for roof repair? It will need to be done soon. The roofer went out today to inspect, as we need a roof cert for insurance purposes that she needs vs the one she now has.

The house was built in 1960 and needs new roof soon. If the roofer finds it needs repairs just to get her roof cert now or before 2-14-14, she might have to stay w/her same insurance company. This is not good. We found a better carrier, but they require the roof cert and that will cost!

Is there any help around for seniors on "fixed income". She's 81 yrs. old and a widow.

By SL from Visalia, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Oneta Mutchler 11 15 Flag

In Texas, I recently inquired about getting my house painted and windows repaired/replaced. There were options for many different cosmetic or badly needed repairs, paiting, depending on your needs. There is a section about paining homes, roofs replaced, all the way to plumbing repairs, electrical and etc. If you are low income you have to meet certain criteria to receive assistance.

In Fort Worth it goes through the City of Fort Worth and some are called "weatherization". There is another section about living arrangements for seniors.I found assistance information by putting in search "assistance for seniors with repairs, roofing and painting." That brought up several options to read for your own situation. Good luck, oredwine

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Financial Help with Home Repairs

My name is Pam. My husband, Jackie has renal cell carcinoma and has had brain surgery, both lower lobes of lungs removed and a kidney removed. Our house is falling apart and roach infested. We have custody of our 10 year old granddaughter and barely getting by. My parents live next door, but they are 88 and 85 and I help with them also. I'm 57 and in desperate need of help. We have no where to turn. Please help or advise me on finding help with repairs, if possible. Thank you.

By Pamela from Clarkton, MO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Deborah Weightman 4 Flag

http://www.mhdc.com/homes/hero/index.htm

this url is for help with home repairs for low-income people in Missouri

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Organization that Helps Vets With Home Repairs

By Paul E P. 1 1

My mom is taking care of my dad at home, he is a vet of about 20 yrs in the Air force. Recently, about 6 years ago, we found out that my dad has Alzheimer's. So my mom is being a trooper with how she's been handling things. She has her moments, knowing her husband of almost 50 years is slowly being erased, it's very hard. But recently their AC stopped working, with medical bills, etc. they don't have the money for the AC. We're working on a solution and monies are tight for everyone.

I never thought that I would have to ask this, practically beginning, we just need them to be comfortable and cool, they have window units, but only in bedrooms, and those units utilize a lot of electricity. We help with maintaining the well water to be safe, filter, etc. I need to quit prolonging my question. Is there a program that could help replace the current unit for a working AC?

I sincerely thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Paul E P. 1 1 Flag

Thanks Everyone for your kind responses, I will absolutely take your advices. Also found out from the repairman that the whole unit and the tubing needs to be replaced. When it rains it poor, but we have umbrellas ;-) LOLs. Handling and doing the Best we can and again Thanks Everyone for your wonderful responses and advices :-)

Sincerely Blessings Be 0:-)

Paul

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I live in San Lorenzo, California. I am looking for some type of help to fix up the house I am living in. It is not mine, it is my fiance's grandmother's. She is 81 years old and lives here as well. I have a 3 year old and one on the way and I cannot stand the thought of us living in this house anymore, but we have no where else to go.

The biggest problems are: we have are cockroaches, rats, mice, mold, and termites. Also, the pipes are so bad that the walls shake and the smell that comes from them is so bad it smells like something died. There are many other problems with this house, but those are the important ones. I wish I could just pack up and leave, but unfortunately that is not an option. Is there any way we can get help to take care of these problems? As it is we barely have enough money to pay for bills and buy food. These problems are only going to get worse if we don't find a way to fix them. Thank you.

By Danielle R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

There are federal housing programs for indigent moms with children. Why don't you inquire about that? And by all means when this next baby comes get yourself fixed!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help With Home Repairs

Is there any help for people who need work done on their home, but can't afford it? Two windows are broken. I have tape on them. The front has cracks and rain and cold air blow through. Front window leaks when it rains. Heating ducks are away from floor, so some heat blows on the ground. Our heater some times doesn't work.

Where we live there is no help for us, because they say my husband works. Yes, but not enough to pay bills, buy food, and fix our home. I have to go back and forth to the doctors and that takes gas. It costs us 80.00 a week in gas, but they don't count that. Is there help somewhere?

By Barb L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136 Flag

All the answers are good ones. You didn't mention where you live. Here in Salem OR, we have an energy assistance program. If you have one in your town, it's a good place to start.

The windows can be replaced fairly cheap. But in the mean time, get some low cost plastic at the local Walmart. It's in 5' wide rolls and you cut off as much as you need, so a yard (aprx. 2.97 per yard) would be 15 square feet. Cut some about 3" larger around and fold it over one, stapling or thumb tacking to the frame if it is wood, to the wall if it is metal. You can also tape it with good quality clear tape. The plastic can be purchased in mil' thickness, so the higher the number the thicker the plastic.

The vents are away from the floor? Get some foam from the local hardware store, and when you go in tell the employee what you are doing with it and they will be able to help.

If you live in a mobile home, your belly board, the band of metal sheathing that holds your floor insulation in place, might be gone or damaged by critters. See if that can be replaced by a friend/church member, etc. Then, if you can't afford insulation, see if someone can donate some baled hay. I know it sounds funny, but if you line the underside of the mobile with that, then put the skirting back on, you will be amazed at how much that helps.

Simple things like expanding foam insulation around pipe openings, exterior cracks in the walls, and such can keep your heating costs down. Go to a local thrift shop and get 2 or three radiant heaters. See the photos enclosed. They run on circulated oil, so they are never a fire hazard and can be used when your furnace isn't working. They are on wheels so easily move from living room to bedroom, but I find they are cheap enough used to have 2 or 3. I find them for 15.00 in most places, and brand new, they are only 30.00.

Here in Salem, if you are Native American, there is no waiting list. It might be the same in your state.

I wish you luck and I hope these tips have helped.

PBP

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Help for Family Needing Home Repair

My husband and I were handed my family home after a few years of my great grandmothers passing. We were struggling to pay rent and bills. As far as we knew the home was in decent condition with only minor repairs to be done.

As we soon discovered, after putting what money we had into it, there was more to be done than we could afford. We had to move in with family after draining all our money into repairs. We had no way to get another rental.

We own this home and it does mean a lot to me I grew up there but more immportantly its our only home to live in. Staying with family and friends with 3 kids is just not possible for much longer.

My question is is there any resources possibly out there to help us. We have had people breaking in constantly and numerous people in there and just damaging it more and more we have changed the locks dozens of times and screwed all the windows shut, but that hasn't stopped them from breaking the glass. Please can someone help?

By M.R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie 32 893 Flag

It is nice to "own" a piece of land right now. Most on this site would not know where you live or even if you live in the US so it is kinda difficult to even give suggestions.

I also believe there are many on this site that are in financial situations comparable to yours (or worse?).

I generally assume that questions are from the US. That said, you do not say anything about your ages, your general health, if you are both working, or the ages of the children. These four factors will make a lot of difference when you are seeking "free" help.

Sometimes it is possible to get a loan to make repairs and generally repayment would be less than rent. Have you tried your local church? There may be someone there that can give you advice on where to seek help. Try senior service centers for information.

Habitat sometimes help "qualified" families with repairs. They also may be able to offer advice.

If you are receiving food stamps or other assistance you may be able to discuss your situation with this office. They may not help but it appears you should be trying everything.

Free help and materials may not be available to able bodied adults but you may be able to find someone that can help you if you furnish materials. If you are currently living (rent free?) with relatives maybe you have money to help with materials?

In my county there are "homeless" shelters that sometimes offer free living quarters to families for a short period of time - Look for places that offer free lunches and give them a visit. They should have some suggestions also.

I hope you are able return to "own" home soon.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Help Home Repairs

My dad has kidney failure. We're a small family of 5; including me, my sister, and brother. Dad has no job as he is on dialysis. Mom is working to make ends meet and I have my own debts and two kids. My brother and sister make minimum wage and the house is falling apart. Is there any organization that can help?

By Yolanda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandy 6 128 Flag

I was also going to suggest the church also. I am sure there are Christians there that will help you, and if there are able-bodied people living there they can help with the repairs. Sometimes people just don't know how to make the repairs and they fear making it worse, or starting and not being able to finish them. Also, the cost of materials is prohibitive. We have a place here in Pittsburgh and it's called Construction Junction. They have everything there, very reasonably priced. I am sure if you contact your area on aging, and the social agencies in the blue pages of the phone book, you will find help. And you'll probably learn so much!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help to Build a Dream

My father bought a burned down property across the street about 4 years ago. He told me recently that if my wife and I wanted the property, we could buy it for the $1,000.00 he paid for it. It sits on 3/4 acre. Everything is burned down except the bricks and 20% of the frame. My wife and I would love to rebuild this house, and make it our home. Any suggestions on any grants for our situation?

By Terry from Webb, MS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Tamara L. J. 1 Flag

There's a website called, "go fund me", maybe you could hit up your facebook community or something.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Roof Replacement for Our House

Is there any one or place we can go to get help replacing our roof? We have very low income and my son has medical problems. We have no money to get it done.

By Tracy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

February 1, 2014Best Answer

I assume you have a social worker with the Department of Social services/Welfare Office. Talk to them, they should know about this nationwide organization that helps with things like that. It is called different names in different towns.

Several years ago, my sister had them do some repairs on her house, but you also have to stay in the house for a certain number of years or pay it back on a pro-rated basis. They also don't rush right in and do the repairs. You do have to meet income guidelines, and just because you feel hard up, doesn't necessarily mean you are.

How old is your son? I assume he receives Medicaid or disability. You should be keeping up with repairs that are needed while they are small, then it wouldn't be so hard to have the repairs made. I am so thankful I sold my house back in 1983 and have lived in apartments since then. When something needs to be repaired I call the manager and it gets taken care of. I didn't get rich selling my house, the proceeds after paying it off had to be split between my ex-husband and myself.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Karen Plett 2 Flag

February 3, 2014Best Answer

I live in York County, PA and have the same problem. I found out that the York County planning commission has a program for people in our situation. It takes several steps in the process but if it works out it is worth it. It is basically a no interest loan that only comes due if you sell the house. They also provide the contractors. There is an option to use your own but they will have to bid with the others to qualify. Hope this helps! Google stuff in your area for your county's planning commission.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repair Help for Low Income Homeowner

broken house wallI need to know where I can find a place that will help me fix my wall at a very low price or take payments. Someone hit my house with their car. I get SSI and that's how I pay my rent and bills. I live in Wichita Kansas. The wall has to be taken out, the lowest price is $600 fillers and I don't have the money.

By Dawn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

This is your landlord's responsibility. But do the police know who ran into your house? Certainly they caught the person. No doubt the landlord can go after the driver for the cost.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help to Make Bathroom Conversion for the Elderly

Is there help for my 90 year old mother to convert from a tub to shower in her bath? She still lives alone and is able to care for herself, but is not able to get into her tub. She only receives her Social Security income.

By DWC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kay Neugebauer 3 3 Flag

I have a few suggestions that you may want to check into. In Ohio we have a group who help disabled and seniors who own their own homes with repairs and chores ect.. they are People Working Cooperatively and you might try Habitat for Humanity. You may also ask around at your local Senior Center possibly at the State or Local medicare office. I hope you find something that can help you out. Those shower chairs are great, I use one myself, mine sits half in the tub and half out, it has bars and a back cushion so you don't fall over backwards. Good Luck and God Bless.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Need Help With Plumbing Repair

I am a single mother of two and have a bad sewage leak under my house in need of repair. There is a lot of water under my house that is on the ground. It has caused my floors to rot out that are now caving in in two bedrooms and the kitchen.

It also has allowed mosquitos to breed under my house. They come inside and are biting my family. I am in desperate need of some help for my home and my family. Is there anyone that can help me?

By Michelle W. from Port Allen, LA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie 32 893 Flag

It seems you may be asking for financial "help" from Thrifty community members so undoubtedly you do not realize that most of us are just trying to make ends meet and save a little for repairs when the time comes.

The first question - do you own the house?

If so you can go to all the usual places (mentioned before) and apply for assistance but most likely - if the house is in this much disrepair - you will be informed to find another place to live as you are placing yourself and your children in danger by living under these conditions.

I do not believe you will find anyone that will do this much repair so maybe you should just be asking for housing assistance - ask for information at the same place you applied for your other "entitlements".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Electrical Repair for Low Income Families

I am 62 and all my electrical is going out, including my overhead lights, ceiling fan, and a few plug ins. I only get Social Security ad cannot afford to pay too much. I am scared about fire. I am not sure if the landlord should fix it or me. I am buying a "rent to to own" home. I have been here for 5 yrs.

By Sharon from Fairmont, WV

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Additional clarification and information:

If you signed an actual agreement with your landlord, if should have addressed exactly who is responsible for repairs, electrical, etc. If the agreement does not specifically state who is responsible for what, then the landlord should be responsible for the electric wiring and any other repairs, as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Home Repairs for Low Income Families

We need a new roof asap. My house insurance canceled us because we need a new roof. We are having financial difficulties; we are raising our grandchildren and funds are just not there. We are a deserving family who never gets assistance.

By D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By sue killgore 2 2 Flag

Most county and/or city governments have low-income help for people below a certain level of income where they will do emergency repair for you with little cost or interest, if any. Check with them first.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help With Home Repairs for Low Income Family

How can we get help with repairs? We are both on disability and do not have money to get things fixed.

By Beverly

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By The Aunt 12 30 Flag

If there is a local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, they may be able to provide help with the repairs.

http://www.habitat.org/local

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Home Repair for Low Income Families

I have a friend whose house needs complete remodeling, roof, plumbing, dry wall, etc. I feel that her home is not a safe place. She is on disability and she is not physically or financially capable of doing any of the work. She has no family to call on.

By Wendy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

The thing with getting into Section 8 housing/low income housing is, depending where you live there is usually quite a long waiting list. Where I live it is roughly five years.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Home Repair Grant Denied

By tiffanysmith3095 6

I am on Social Security Disability, I had signed up for a home improvement grant 6 years ago with my Neighborhood Community Development Association. I just received a notice in the mail stating that if I had a bankruptcy that was not discharged that I would no longer be eligible for the home repair grant. I signed up for the grant in 2008 of March. I have been waiting for this grant for almost 6 years, I had to file for a bankruptcy 2 years ago because my husband lost his job. I was also told that I couldn't put in another application until my bankruptcy has been discharged for a full year. Does this mean that I have to wait another six years just for me to be the next one on the list? Or can someone tell me if I can contact a government official on this matter?

By Tiffany

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie 32 893 Flag

You will have to contact the association that you are applying to for answers to your questions.

All states and counties have different rules and regulations for this sort of thing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help with House Repairs

My mom has entered a nursing home in Glenora, California and she left me her house. I'm not working at the moment. This house is very old, and needs a lot of repairs. I'm just about to get citations from the city of San Gabriel, and also have the health department after me. Can anyone help me please?

By Daniel R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie 32 893 Flag

hi - redhatterb gave an excellent answer so the only thing I can add is try some of your "local" web site like Craigslist as they have sections for questions like this.

Try to think "out of the box" to look for some help but most of your "help" is going be your own.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I need help with my mom's house, it falling apart. She can't afford to have it fixed. She lets me and my kids stay here and I want to give her something back that she always wanted, her dream house.

By Lavonnda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

I agree with Eggz about painting vinyl floors. When I was kid my late mother painted our living room, dining room and kitchen vinyl several times because we could never afford new. My mother did it on her hands and knees.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Home Repair After a House Fire

My home was damaged in a house fire; I had no insurance on it. My mother is dying and I can't work a job because I'm taking care of her in her last days. She's 89 years of age and I hate having to keep moving her from place to place. I really need some help in fixing up my home.

By Mary

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136 Flag

I always find it interesting that those who's advice is more pragmatic and less friendly than helpful don't sign their names when they post. Perhaps these folks don't belong to a church? Not everyone does. And yes, there is free home repair. Suggesting HUD is 3 years minimum, and most likely this lovely lady will have no further need for a home by then.

I would come over with a hammer and nails if I knew where you lived, but short of that, here is a link from Google that I simply put in "free help after a fire" and got this one that I think might help.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5033766_can-after-house-fire.html

If the local paper or news station can help, I would make my plight public, that is when things get done and people step up to help. I wish you all the best of luck and you have my condolences as to your mom. No one should leave this world without a roof over their heads and someone to care for you...one thing she needs and the other she has. You, bless you for that.

Sandi/Poor But Proud

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Low Cost Home Repairs

By Amy Jaramillo 1

Can someone please help me find very cheap or free (doubtful but still hoping) home repairs. I am in the process of buying my grandmother's house from her estate and I have taken on way more than I expected. My mother was on the property for the past 10 years and it has never been cared for. I don't want to lose the house I grew up in, I would love my children to grow up in it too. The area is nice, the schools are great, and my husband and I will be getting a home for just a lower price. I just didn't in my wildest dreams imagine the amount of repairs needed for this home. Please help. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

bathroom
        basementLow Cost Home RepairsLow Cost Home Repairsmissing ventLow Cost Home Repairs

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

You need to get someone out to inspect the house, list what needs to be done and in what order. First to get it up to code, then what you would consider livable.

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to lose your childhood home. On the other hand, as a parent, you understand that safety considerations trump sentiment. If the home is unsafe now and your time frame for fixing it is going to be years, can you really justify living here? It might be a better idea to allow someone to buy the home who has enough money to renovate and resell (flip) the house.

I suggest you be very thoughtful about this purchase. You will have to do most of these repairs yourself, with the exception of things like plumbing, electric, sewage and grading, which you will have to hire professionals to do in order to be compliant with code. If this is not within your skill level or time frame you will be making a mistake.

Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bathroom Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

By Diane D 1

Are there any organizations around that can help with bathrooms that are falling apart? I have lost my job and my husband can not do the work due to health issues. The tubs are falling through the floor. I am soon to be 60 years old myself and I wouldn't know how to do it. The floors are caving in and bugs are starting to come in through them. Someone stole our AC unit so we don't even have AC. We just don't know what to do.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

Are the floors caving in due to water damage, such as leaking plumbing, or is it because of the bugs? It is possible your homeowner's insurance covers this. You need to find out what it does cover.

If this is a rental, it is uninhabitable. Google "tenant advocacy" along with the major city closest to you. Some helpful links will come up. It is illegal for your landlord to rent an uninhabitable unit.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Family

By Donna T. 1

My friend is an aging parent of a 45 year old son who requires 24 hour awake nursing care. My friend and her husband provide this care and sleep in shifts to keep their home ICU running, They have done this for years for their son and his brother who passed away a few years ago from the same degenerative disability. Now, their home needs some repairs, repairs are half finished inside and the parents are too old and tired now to manage. Of course they are on a low income because they are full time caregivers and pensioners themselves.

The backyard has a memorial pond and garden for their son Michael who passed away, but it is in great disrepair and this is a source of real sadness for my friend. The yard needs major work and there is little water to sustain a garden - concrete is the only answer. Does anyone know of a charity that might help? I have already contacted Habitat and Love Inc. which I found by reading the forum here. I am hoping there might be some additional resources you folks might know about too. Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

See if they can qualify to get paid as caregivers of their son. This could help ease the financial burden. Here is a link to help you get started:

https://usodep.blogs.govdelivery.co ... ull-time-family-caregivers-get-paid/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Home Repair Assistance

By Denise Solgat D. 2

Where do I look for help for a family that is wanting to get their nieces and nephews out of foster care, but need some repairs on their house and need the carport enclosed so they have the room.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More
            A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
            Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 27, 2013
            ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
            older blind woman sitting on a bench
            Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
            Minnesota
            Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
            A cat with an empty food dish.
            Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
            Woman Working Call Center
            Finding Part-time Work
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:17:14 AM on 10.0.2.78 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
            NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
            Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
            BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
            CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings