Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

Category Miscellaneous
There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

Small house resting on stacks of coins surrounded by hands holding tools used for home repairs.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Unfortunately there are many families and individuals who can not afford to make necessary renovations to their homes. This is a guide with free home renovation advice.

I am a widow, disabled, and have low income. I need help with home repair. Can someone please tell me where I can get help with home repair for little or no cost?

Answer Was this helpful? 13
Best Answer

Habitat for humanity they can help

Where can I get help? I live on $800 a month. I can't do anything. I stay home pray and cry. The siding on my home is rotting and molded and ugly. My son would help, but he passed at 36 from a heart attack on March 16th, 2016.

Your situation does not sound like a very good place to be but you say your "home" and does that mean that you own or have a mortgage or do you rent? It seems safe to assume you own your home so most of the suggestions you receive will be based on that assumption. Please understand that you may have to go to your church or HUD office if you feel that you need emergency repairs.

When completing government forms (asking for free assistance) the questions they generally ask will determine whether you are eligible for them to review your request. But please understand that government "help" can be very slow to be approved and sometimes even longer to start the work. Government agencies very rarely work any faster even when dealing with hazardous/unsafe situations as they will generally tell you to seek local help for immediate assistance. Sometimes people are lucky and help is faster.

Some things that determine your eligibility:

Age - health - disability - source and amount of income - already on government assistance program (food stamps) - living alone - mortgaged/own home - extend of repairs needed (they may determine the repairs your home needs to be too much and suggest you move to a more suitable place - they may help with this).

I would recommend you try contacting your local Habitat for Humanity as they do a lot of home repairs and they are local and can visit your home to get a first hand idea of what repairs you need. They will many times find you a temporary place to live while repairs are done if it seems necessary.

Here is a link that you can put your zip code and fine a Habitat office near you.

https://www.hab … ur-local-habitat

I am disabled and I am moving my 71 year old mother in with me next week and some of my plumbing and electrical is broken. I need help fixing this. How do I find an agency or organization that can help with the repairs?

Go to HUD.org and look for your state.

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Answer Was this helpful? 4
Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

We need help finishing our home. I was building it when I became disabled and am unable to complete the work. The home is like 70% complete or more, but I cannot finish it on a fixed income.

Answer Was this helpful? 5

My husband and I, just bought a mobile home  that's about 38 year's old We're needing a lot of up dates with being handicap accessible, we're low income family with no kids, where can we look for someone can help us  out? Looking to get a $50,000.00 grant. Thank  you.

I am going thru a divorce and need to prep my house for sale. I had a big reduction in income. Who can assist me with repairs? I reside in Richmond, Texas.

Apply for your area here at this site:

https://www.rd.usda.gov/tx

I am a single mum with two boys. The situation is going to the left side for me. I do not like the way my house is leaking on us, the front porch is not fixed, the kitchen and the shower room also need repair. My children ask me questions about how we can find another house, but my only reply to them is to be patient, that things will get better one day. I am in school right now until 2020, working and taking care of my children. Is there any advice or help available from any organizations?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Contact Frankie Davis in Townsend Ga ..phone info 912)689-8511

Where can I find some help to repair my dad's house. It is paid for. He did some repairs about 10 years a ago. He suddenly became blind three years ago. The house still needs repairs. Thank you!

Also known as the Section 504 Home Repair program, this provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

https://www.rd. … air-loans-grants

I'm a 35 yr old disabled mom of 3 kids. 2 of my daughters live with me. I have low income and get monthly checks. Is there any way I can get help with my house, it needs to be leveled? I own my house, but I can't get a loan on my home due to not enough income. I live in San Antonio Texas. I would appreciate it if anyone has information on where to look and can let me know. Thank you and God bless you.

Here is some help (governmental) for your area:

https://portal. … ship/homerepairs

I'm on disability. How and where can I get help with home repairs?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Telling someone on disability to barter by washing someone else's clothes is so ridiculous. For God's sake these people are desperate enough for help that they are posting on her. Get off your duffs and get them some real help

Put yourself in there shoes if that is possible. Or are you living so well you can't imagine how desperate these people are.

I am recently divorced and was manipulated into taking on the debt of our home and other debt to basically get the divorce over and the ex out of the house. I work, but live from week to week. I pay my bills on time, but do not have any money left over to have things fixed around the house. The foundation needs to be repaired along with things in the kitchen/window, junk removed that he left me with among other things. I will have to try to refinance the home within a year to get his name off of it, but there is so much to do. I just don't know where to turn to. Any suggestions?

What city are you in? I've found help in certain cities online.

We are a family that is on disability. We bought a home on land contract and lived there from 2001 till last year (2016) when the A/C went out. For a week in the summer the house's average temperature was 95+. With my health it almost killed me.

We had a friend try to give us a house to move into. So we did. But, come to find out they did not have the right to do it. Now we have been told that we have until the end of April to move out. The only thing we can do is move back to our old house. Where we need to gut most of the house. Some things we know that need work are: carpet removal, junk removal, plumbing repairs, painting walls and floors, window repair or replacement, the roof needs work, and the A/C. The problem is I'm disabled and only have SSI income. I can't do any work, but we have some friends that would love to help our family out with the work.

We live in a small town in the middle of Nebraska. We need to know if there is any help available through the government or private agencies? I have searched high and low without any luck. I'm about to the end of my rope without help in sight. Thanks for your time and any help I can get.

i would definitely look at work-arounds such as energy assistance programs. here is a governmental one in nebraska- https://www.ben … fit-details/1560 if you or another family member is a senior and/or disabled you should search for free room acs so u can live there while fixing up the rest. many communities and utilities have low-cost window replacement for people in similar situations

I am in need of someone that can help me with house leveling. I live in the San Antonio, Texas area. I have a broken drain main pipe and my house level is so low I can't do the work. I tried digging down as far as I can, but no luck. My husband told me to stop digging, but this is our home and we don't have the money to rent. His pay goes to bills and my pension on disabity is small. I can't do much with it. I don't want to give up. I just need some help or just someone that can help me find someone or some kind of program. Please help.

I will try .because I can honestly say there is no one who wants to help.

I have a friend that's on disability. He bought a home and because it was involved in a fire he gutted the house in order to rebuild the entire inside. The problem is he is disabled and only has SSI income. He lives in central Indiana. Is there any help available through government or private agencies? I have searched high and low without any luck. This home needs everything from electrical to plumbing to walls and floors and this man needs help so that he can have a place to call home.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How can I get help with home repairs don't get enough money to fix my house and the house was a wedding gift to me and my wife

The man whose house burnt is 65 years old and handicapped. He couldn't afford homeowner's insurance. Is there someone he can call to get help gutting the inside of the home and help repairing it?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

I have a mother-in-law who is 84 years old and a daughter that's on disability. My husband is only working a part time job and I'm on and off to work. I also have a 17 year old son who's in high school. We are considered a low income family. Is there any source of help out there that can help us fix the problems of our 50 year old home? It needs roofing, kitchen, and bathroom repairs.

SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)

US Administration on Aging 800.677.1116 www.eldercare.gov-financial, employment, legal & caregiving help

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

This house was built in the 1960s, by my grandfather. The electrical system keeps cutting off in winter when I am trying to keep warm. The oil furnace also isn't working. I am disabled and low income. Where can I find help with these repairs?

I own an double wide moble hom and I dont have no electricity in half of my house and sometimes I see sparks and I feel scared its going to light on fire and I have to use lamps in half of my house and my electricity bill is always high I cant afford to pay anyone to fix it and I need some help I am hearing impaired and disabled pleas I need help before my house burns down

I live in Ft. Worth,Texas. The electric shut off in part of my house and I am disabled and can't afford an electrician. I don't know who to call to get help. The places that I called don't have the funding and I don't know what to do.

I am sorry that this is happening. I do not know of any government organization that can help. I hope the previous response was helpful.

If it was not, and you are still searching for assistance, do not be afraid to ask at your church (if you attend). These people are also your family and you will find they are eager to help. Good luck!

My mom and dad live on a very strict social security budget. Their floors in their small home are falling down, the pipes are old and run. They need some help really badly. They can't afford much and I can help work, but not much money to pay out for someone to repair their home. Any help that they can get would be very welcome. They are 80 and 81 years old. Is there any help available for them?

By Sharon from Paris, KY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Call 211 . It is a nationwide number for finding assistance. When they answer, explain what help is needed and be sure to let them know it is for a senior. You will be given info on who to contact closest to you. I am concerned if their home is as bad as you have described that it will be considered unlivable.

I am a low income, single dad. I bought a fixer upper home, but then ran out of money before I could complete the bathrooms and kitchen. How and where can I get help?

There are government agencies that help low income families, however, they are often difficult to find. A very easy online search for "home repair low income family" produced many responses. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful federal government site:

https://www.dis … ity.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

I am a single mother and grandmother, living in a two bedroom home. The house is old, in need of repair, no water running in anywhere but the bathroom, tiles falling down, and floor needing repair. I have 17 grandchildren and can only have a couple over at one time. I live in Center, Texas, in Shelby county. Is there any assistance available for home repair and maybe a room added on for me? I have a job, but I make only $10 an hour.

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally.

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

I agree that you can learn to be a real DIYer. Lots of people have learned to make home repairs and taken on renovations.

However, if that is mold I'm seeing in those pictures, it is not safe to live in, even temporarily. And it does look like part of the floor has rotted and caved. If that is the case, it is not safe to stand on.

Only the homeowner really knows whether the home is livable even in the short term.

Load More