Browsing: Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 22, 2016 Flag

We need help finishing our home. I was building it when I became disabled and am unable to complete the work. The home is like 70% complete or more, but I cannot finish it on a fixed income.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have honestly been looking for help everywhere! We are in desperate need of really a new home but the tralior my kids and I live in now the floors have fell in bath tub has fell in and the floor has fell in I did have mushrooms growing in the bathroom we had to close off. I just wondering if u could direct me in the right place I have a 7 year old little girl, a 11 year old girl and a 5 year old boy and we have ran outta room we bought this as a repo and it's had it we have lived in it over 12 years. The roof leaks has since we moved in.. And my old bathroom had cut off to the rest of the house was growing mushrooms outta the floors. I am on a fixed income and I dk what else to do..

Read More Answers...

June 10, 2016 Flag

I need a new roof, but I can't afford one. Is there any agency where I can get some help?

Help!!! my house is practically falling apart. I am 48. I have no money. I am on assistance. It rained yesterday and it was raining inside the house because my roofs falling in.I'm almost 100% certain that my entire house is water damaged and will not last much longer. If you go on the hill in my back yard you can see it needs fixed. I don't know what to do.please help me.

Read More Answers...

January 1, 2014 Flag

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

PBP

Read More Answers...

April 30, 2016 Flag

I have a friend that's on disability. He bought a home and because it was involved in a fire he gutted the house in order to rebuild the entire inside. The problem is he is disabled and only has SSI income. He lives in central Indiana. Is there any help available through government or private agencies? I have searched high and low without any luck. This home needs everything from electrical to plumbing to walls and floors and this man needs help so that he can have a place to call home.

How can I get help with home repairs don't get enough money to fix my house and the house was a wedding gift to me and my wife

Read More Answers...

June 24, 2016 Flag

How can a disabled low income senior get help putting in a new sewer line? I live in Ruidoso, New Mexico.

Try these sites:

You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.

http://www.eldercaredirectory.org/state-resources.htm

https://www.disability.gov/disabili ... help-modifying-home-make-accessible/

Also:

https://www.disability.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

September 1, 2011 Flag

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.

Good luck.

Read More Answers...

March 23, 2016 Flag

Does any one know of any resources that will help me get some help to fix some things on my home that need fixing right away? I am on low income and I live in Alabama. If any one knows I sure will appreciate it. Thank you!

There are some agencies and nonprofits that provide home repair assistance to low income individuals and families however, there are many restrictions and requirements that must be considered. The main problem is finding assistance in your particular location. You can try an online search for "alabama low income house repair" for possible resources in your area. The site below is a good place to start:

http://www.myfinancialprograms.com/housing-grants/homeowners/improvements/

Read More Answers...

February 1, 2014 Flag

Is there any one or place we can go to get help replacing our roof? We have very low income and my son has medical problems. We have no money to get it done.

By Tracy

Best Answer

I live in York County, PA and have the same problem. I found out that the York County planning commission has a program for people in our situation. It takes several steps in the process but if it works out it is worth it. It is basically a no interest loan that only comes due if you sell the house. They also provide the contractors. There is an option to use your own but they will have to bid with the others to qualify. Hope this helps! Google stuff in your area for your county's planning commission.

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2015 Flag

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally. sagging carpet

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

Home Repair Assistance for Low Income FamilyHome Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

There are organizations that do these repairs for low income elderly people. Contact your power company & your state & federal government have programs too. They did a lot of repairs for me. Check with the elder agencies also. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2016 Flag

I live in Georgia and it is so hard to get help here. The only income we have coming in is my son's SSI. I have seizures, diabetes, thyroid issues, ruptured disks in back and neck and I'm bipolar among other things. I have been waiting for three years for my disability with nothing.

We live in a family home that is 90 years old and is in need of so many things. For starters it needs a roof. There is rotten wood everywhere, the water leaks, only the hot water works in the bathroom, and there is no insulation. My power bill is too high for me to even list it. Our family has helped us til they are at the end of their rope. We have gotten help from every church in town. I need a ramp out front instead of stairs because I almost can't make it up the stairs. Can anyone assist me with advising of any kind of organization that could help us? Thanks for your time and help!

There are government agencies that help low income families, however, they are often difficult to find. A very easy online search for "home repair low income family" produced many responses. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful federal government site:

February 9, 2016 Flag

I know an elderly, disabled, low income couple in the state of Oregon that have not had a working heater for at least 2 years because they are unable to pay to replace or repair it. Every time the weather gets cold they stay sick. I was wondering if there is any way someone could remedy their situation? I am very concerned for them.

Do they have a Weatherization Program in the state that they live in? They might want to check this out. I am applying in the state that I live in. I wish them the best of luck.

God bless them!

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2016 Flag

I am a senior who has a water leak that has leaked water onto the sidewalk. The leak is in my yard the city says. I am on fixed income. Where can I find help?

June 10, 2010 Flag

I have a home and it is in need of great repair. I don't have the money to pay for renovation and I would like to know if there is a free program on TV that I can enter or a company that will do it for free? I have 12 grandchildren and I would like for them to continue enjoying it with me. Some live with me. Will explain in great length. Thanks.

By Julia from Easley, SC

I live in a two family. My landlord is a disabled senior citizen who is on a very low fixed income. She has no funds to restore her house and lives by herself with no children. She struggles day by day unfortunately the house is in desperate need of repair especially the roof there are lots of birds at the moment nesting all in the roof and its rotting away.

There are leaks when it rains and I've spoken to her on occasion about fix this problem, but unfortunately she really can't afford to do so the house is adorable but the outside needs paint or even venal siding. Is there anything thing that could be done to help this wonderful women? Thank you. Fall River, MA 

Read More Answers...

July 13, 2015 Flag

Recently, we found out that my dad has Alzheimer's. My mom is taking care of him at home, she is being a trooper. She has her moments, knowing her husband of almost 50 years is slowly being erased, it's very hard. With medical bills, etc. they don't have the money for the AC.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                    Load More
                    Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 27, 2013
                    older blind woman sitting on a bench
                    Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
                    Minnesota
                    Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
                    A cat with an empty food dish.
                    Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
                    Protein Powder
                    Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
                    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 29, 2016 at 12:15:59 AM on 10.0.2.141 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.