Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I live in Georgia and it is so hard to get help here. The only income we have coming in is my son's SSI. I have seizures, diabetes, thyroid issues, ruptured disks in back and neck and I'm bipolar among other things. I have been waiting for three years for my disability with nothing.

We live in a family home that is 90 years old and is in need of so many things. For starters it needs a roof. There is rotten wood everywhere, the water leaks, only the hot water works in the bathroom, and there is no insulation. My power bill is too high for me to even list it. Our family has helped us til they are at the end of their rope. We have gotten help from every church in town. I need a ramp out front instead of stairs because I almost can't make it up the stairs. Can anyone assist me with advising of any kind of organization that could help us? Thanks for your time and help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are government agencies that help low income families, however, they are often difficult to find. A very easy online search for "home repair low income family" produced many responses. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful federal government site:

https://www.disability.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

We need help finishing our home. I was building it when I became disabled and am unable to complete the work. The home is like 70% complete or more, but I cannot finish it on a fixed income.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for information

Read More Answers...

I am on disability and need freon in my outside AC unit. Does anyone know where to get this done as inexpensively as possible?
      Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You do not provide your location so a specific answer is difficult. You can contact air conditioner companies individually for their fees, check online for companies and prices in your area, etc.

I am a senior who has a water leak that has leaked water onto the sidewalk. The leak is in my yard the city says. I am on fixed income. Where can I find help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.

http://www.eldercaredirectory.org/state-resources.htm

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
          Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

PBP

Read More Answers...

Does any one know of any resources that will help me get some help to fix some things on my home that need fixing right away? I am on low income and I live in Alabama. If any one knows I sure will appreciate it. Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are some agencies and nonprofits that provide home repair assistance to low income individuals and families however, there are many restrictions and requirements that must be considered. The main problem is finding assistance in your particular location. You can try an online search for "alabama low income house repair" for possible resources in your area. The site below is a good place to start:

http://www.myfinancialprograms.com/housing-grants/homeowners/improvements/

I know an elderly, disabled, low income couple in the state of Oregon that have not had a working heater for at least 2 years because they are unable to pay to replace or repair it. Every time the weather gets cold they stay sick. I was wondering if there is any way someone could remedy their situation? I am very concerned for them.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do they have a Weatherization Program in the state that they live in? They might want to check this out. I am applying in the state that I live in. I wish them the best of luck.

God bless them!

Read More Answers...

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally.

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

sagging carpet
                Home Repair Assistance for Low Income FamilyHome Repair Assistance for Low Income Family
                AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree that you can learn to be a real DIYer. Lots of people have learned to make home repairs and taken on renovations.

However, if that is mold I'm seeing in those pictures, it is not safe to live in, even temporarily. And it does look like part of the floor has rotted and caved. If that is the case, it is not safe to stand on.

Only the homeowner really knows whether the home is livable even in the short term.

Read More Answers...

Is there any one or place we can go to get help replacing our roof? We have very low income and my son has medical problems. We have no money to get it done.

By Tracy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                Best Answer

I assume you have a social worker with the Department of Social services/Welfare Office. Talk to them, they should know about this nationwide organization that helps with things like that. It is called different names in different towns.

Several years ago, my sister had them do some repairs on her house, but you also have to stay in the house for a certain number of years or pay it back on a pro-rated basis. They also don't rush right in and do the repairs. You do have to meet income guidelines, and just because you feel hard up, doesn't necessarily mean you are.

How old is your son? I assume he receives Medicaid or disability. You should be keeping up with repairs that are needed while they are small, then it wouldn't be so hard to have the repairs made. I am so thankful I sold my house back in 1983 and have lived in apartments since then. When something needs to be repaired I call the manager and it gets taken care of. I didn't get rich selling my house, the proceeds after paying it off had to be split between my ex-husband and myself.

Best Answer

I live in York County, PA and have the same problem. I found out that the York County planning commission has a program for people in our situation. It takes several steps in the process but if it works out it is worth it. It is basically a no interest loan that only comes due if you sell the house. They also provide the contractors. There is an option to use your own but they will have to bid with the others to qualify. Hope this helps! Google stuff in your area for your county's planning commission.

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.

Good luck.

Read More Answers...

My mom is taking care of my dad at home, he is a vet of about 20 yrs in the Air force. Recently, about 6 years ago, we found out that my dad has Alzheimer's. So my mom is being a trooper with how she's been handling things. She has her moments, knowing her husband of almost 50 years is slowly being erased, it's very hard. But recently their AC stopped working, with medical bills, etc. they don't have the money for the AC. We're working on a solution and monies are tight for everyone.

I never thought that I would have to ask this, practically beginning, we just need them to be comfortable and cool, they have window units, but only in bedrooms, and those units utilize a lot of electricity. We help with maintaining the well water to be safe, filter, etc. I need to quit prolonging my question. Is there a program that could help replace the current unit for a working AC?

I sincerely thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks Everyone for your kind responses, I will absolutely take your advices. Also found out from the repairman that the whole unit and the tubing needs to be replaced. When it rains it poor, but we have umbrellas ;-) LOLs. Handling and doing the Best we can and again Thanks Everyone for your wonderful responses and advices :-)

Sincerely Blessings Be 0:-)

Paul

Read More Answers...

I have a home and it is in need of great repair. I don't have the money to pay for renovation and I would like to know if there is a free program on TV that I can enter or a company that will do it for free? I have 12 grandchildren and I would like for them to continue enjoying it with me. Some live with me. Will explain in great length. Thanks.

By Julia from Easley, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in a two family. My landlord is a disabled senior citizen who is on a very low fixed income. She has no funds to restore her house and lives by herself with no children. She struggles day by day unfortunately the house is in desperate need of repair especially the roof there are lots of birds at the moment nesting all in the roof and its rotting away.

There are leaks when it rains and I've spoken to her on occasion about fix this problem, but unfortunately she really can't afford to do so the house is adorable but the outside needs paint or even venal siding. Is there anything thing that could be done to help this wonderful women? Thank you. Fall River, MA 

Read More Answers...

My sister is 61 years old and on disability. They shut her water off. She has water leaks. She owes a $300.00 water bill, but doesn't have the money to pay it. How can she get help? Thanks.

By Dianna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Best Answer

The utility company would be a great place to start. Many utilities (power, water, etc) offer assistance programs or other resources for people that have difficulty paying their utility bills. If not, they will know who might be able to help.

How can my mom qualify for roof repair? It will need to be done soon. The roofer went out today to inspect, as we need a roof cert for insurance purposes that she needs vs the one she now has.

The house was built in 1960 and needs new roof soon. If the roofer finds it needs repairs just to get her roof cert now or before 2-14-14, she might have to stay w/her same insurance company. This is not good. We found a better carrier, but they require the roof cert and that will cost!

Is there any help around for seniors on "fixed income". She's 81 yrs. old and a widow.

By SL from Visalia, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In Texas, I recently inquired about getting my house painted and windows repaired/replaced. There were options for many different cosmetic or badly needed repairs, paiting, depending on your needs. There is a section about paining homes, roofs replaced, all the way to plumbing repairs, electrical and etc. If you are low income you have to meet certain criteria to receive assistance.

In Fort Worth it goes through the City of Fort Worth and some are called "weatherization". There is another section about living arrangements for seniors.I found assistance information by putting in search "assistance for seniors with repairs, roofing and painting." That brought up several options to read for your own situation. Good luck, oredwine

Read More Answers...

My husband and I are caring for our 2 grandkids and the DFS just came and took them to foster care due to the fact that we can't afford repairs and remodling on our house. My husband is not in good health and the house is over 100 years old.

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Load More
                  Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 27, 2013
                  older blind woman sitting on a bench
                  Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
                  Minnesota
                  Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
                  A cat with an empty food dish.
                  Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
                  Protein Powder
                  Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
                  © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 6:07:45 AM on 10.0.2.62 in 936 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.