Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 10, 2016 Flag

I need a new roof, but I can't afford one. Is there any agency where I can get some help?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try this site for low income home repair assistance:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/grantscontracting/a/houserepair.htm

April 22, 2016 Flag

We need help finishing our home. I was building it when I became disabled and am unable to complete the work. The home is like 70% complete or more, but I cannot finish it on a fixed income.

Thank you for information

Read More Answers...

January 1, 2014 Flag

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

PBP

Read More Answers...

April 30, 2016 Flag

I have a friend that's on disability. He bought a home and because it was involved in a fire he gutted the house in order to rebuild the entire inside. The problem is he is disabled and only has SSI income. He lives in central Indiana. Is there any help available through government or private agencies? I have searched high and low without any luck. This home needs everything from electrical to plumbing to walls and floors and this man needs help so that he can have a place to call home.

Also try:

SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

Read More Answers...

June 16, 2016 Flag

My grand daughter is a very hard working young woman, who works everyday to pay lot rent on a trailer that she is not able to live in. She lives with very little food, no money for clothes or meds. I have paid for materials to fix it up. I have diabetes, knee replacements, and recently fell and injured my arm and it has left me unable to help her.

I need some kind charitable help. Her house needs to have about 6 sheets of drywall hung, her kitchen sink and cabinets installed and some electrical work done. Painting I maybe can do with my other arm. I don't have a lot of money left as I paid a handyman money to do some of these repairs that we had to redo, or he hadn't done at all before he skipped out. Please can someone tell me where I might get help, as she is expecting and the baby is due in Sept./Oct. We are running out of time. We live in White Marsh, Maryland area.

September 1, 2011 Flag

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.

Good luck.

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2016 Flag

I live in Georgia and it is so hard to get help here. The only income we have coming in is my son's SSI. I have seizures, diabetes, thyroid issues, ruptured disks in back and neck and I'm bipolar among other things. I have been waiting for three years for my disability with nothing.

We live in a family home that is 90 years old and is in need of so many things. For starters it needs a roof. There is rotten wood everywhere, the water leaks, only the hot water works in the bathroom, and there is no insulation. My power bill is too high for me to even list it. Our family has helped us til they are at the end of their rope. We have gotten help from every church in town. I need a ramp out front instead of stairs because I almost can't make it up the stairs. Can anyone assist me with advising of any kind of organization that could help us? Thanks for your time and help!

There are government agencies that help low income families, however, they are often difficult to find. A very easy online search for "home repair low income family" produced many responses. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful federal government site:

https://www.disability.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

June 3, 2016 Flag

Are there any charitable companies or organizations that would assist us with a sink and toilet backup? We live in the Laurel Maryland area. My sister and I are on limited incomes due to cancer treatments. She with multiple myeloma and I with breast cancer. I have been working on it for over two weeks. It's in the basement where my sleeping quarters are. I could really use the help. Sincerest regards.

April 14, 2016 Flag

I am a senior who has a water leak that has leaked water onto the sidewalk. The leak is in my yard the city says. I am on fixed income. Where can I find help?

You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.

http://www.eldercaredirectory.org/state-resources.htm

February 1, 2014 Flag

Is there any one or place we can go to get help replacing our roof? We have very low income and my son has medical problems. We have no money to get it done.

By Tracy

Best Answer

I live in York County, PA and have the same problem. I found out that the York County planning commission has a program for people in our situation. It takes several steps in the process but if it works out it is worth it. It is basically a no interest loan that only comes due if you sell the house. They also provide the contractors. There is an option to use your own but they will have to bid with the others to qualify. Hope this helps! Google stuff in your area for your county's planning commission.

Read More Answers...

February 9, 2016 Flag

I know an elderly, disabled, low income couple in the state of Oregon that have not had a working heater for at least 2 years because they are unable to pay to replace or repair it. Every time the weather gets cold they stay sick. I was wondering if there is any way someone could remedy their situation? I am very concerned for them.

Do they have a Weatherization Program in the state that they live in? They might want to check this out. I am applying in the state that I live in. I wish them the best of luck.

God bless them!

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2015 Flag

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally. sagging carpet

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

Home Repair Assistance for Low Income FamilyHome Repair Assistance for Low Income Family

I agree that you can learn to be a real DIYer. Lots of people have learned to make home repairs and taken on renovations.

However, if that is mold I'm seeing in those pictures, it is not safe to live in, even temporarily. And it does look like part of the floor has rotted and caved. If that is the case, it is not safe to stand on.

Only the homeowner really knows whether the home is livable even in the short term.

Read More Answers...

March 23, 2016 Flag

Does any one know of any resources that will help me get some help to fix some things on my home that need fixing right away? I am on low income and I live in Alabama. If any one knows I sure will appreciate it. Thank you!

There are some agencies and nonprofits that provide home repair assistance to low income individuals and families however, there are many restrictions and requirements that must be considered. The main problem is finding assistance in your particular location. You can try an online search for "alabama low income house repair" for possible resources in your area. The site below is a good place to start:

http://www.myfinancialprograms.com/housing-grants/homeowners/improvements/

June 10, 2010 Flag

I have a home and it is in need of great repair. I don't have the money to pay for renovation and I would like to know if there is a free program on TV that I can enter or a company that will do it for free? I have 12 grandchildren and I would like for them to continue enjoying it with me. Some live with me. Will explain in great length. Thanks.

By Julia from Easley, SC

I live in a two family. My landlord is a disabled senior citizen who is on a very low fixed income. She has no funds to restore her house and lives by herself with no children. She struggles day by day unfortunately the house is in desperate need of repair especially the roof there are lots of birds at the moment nesting all in the roof and its rotting away.

There are leaks when it rains and I've spoken to her on occasion about fix this problem, but unfortunately she really can't afford to do so the house is adorable but the outside needs paint or even venal siding. Is there anything thing that could be done to help this wonderful women? Thank you. Fall River, MA 

Read More Answers...

July 13, 2015 Flag

My mom is taking care of my dad at home, he is a vet of about 20 yrs in the Air force. Recently, about 6 years ago, we found out that my dad has Alzheimer's. So my mom is being a trooper with how she's been handling things. She has her moments, knowing her husband of almost 50 years is slowly being erased, it's very hard. But recently their AC stopped working, with medical bills, etc. they don't have the money for the AC. We're working on a solution and monies are tight for everyone.

I never thought that I would have to ask this, practically beginning, we just need them to be comfortable and cool, they have window units, but only in bedrooms, and those units utilize a lot of electricity. We help with maintaining the well water to be safe, filter, etc. I need to quit prolonging my question. Is there a program that could help replace the current unit for a working AC?

I sincerely thank you.

Thanks Everyone for your kind responses, I will absolutely take your advices. Also found out from the repairman that the whole unit and the tubing needs to be replaced. When it rains it poor, but we have umbrellas ;-) LOLs. Handling and doing the Best we can and again Thanks Everyone for your wonderful responses and advices :-)

Sincerely Blessings Be 0:-)

Paul

Read More Answers...
                        Load More
                        Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 27, 2013
                        older blind woman sitting on a bench
                        Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
                        Minnesota
                        Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
                        A cat with an empty food dish.
                        Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
                        Protein Powder
                        Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
                        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 4:04:48 PM on 10.0.0.96 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.