Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

September 19, 2016 Flag

I am a widow, disabled, and have low income. I need help with home repair. Can someone please tell me where I can get help with home repair for little or no cost?

I am a widow with a fixed income but do not qualify as poverty programs. I still cannot afford these repairs in my plumbing, my toilet under my home leaks because of old pipes. My home was built in 1938, my husband passed away with lung cancer suddenly 2 yrs. ago. All services I've managed to find has ripped me off and never finishes the work. I need help from someone?

January 1, 2014 Flag

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

Best Answer

September 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide with free home renovation advice. Unfortunately there are many families and individuals who can not afford to make necessary renovations to their homes.

Small house resting on stacks of coins surrounded by hands holding tools used for home repairs.

April 22, 2016 Flag

We need help finishing our home. I was building it when I became disabled and am unable to complete the work. The home is like 70% complete or more, but I cannot finish it on a fixed income.

Please I am in urgent need of home repair interior....from electrical to plumbing issues....and more but I would appreciate any assistance you could offer because I am a low income mother on ssi and just got a small part time job making $8.00 / hr....working at times two,three days a week...I'm still not able to make all the necessary repairs... My home is literally falling apart around me...I've lived here for over thirty years and it was my mother's dying wish that I should always be here...but it has been difficult for me to maintain the dignity and upkeep of the home.... I just need a helping hand if you could.... It would be such a blessing... I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin..... My name is Lisa May

April 30, 2016 Flag

I have a friend that's on disability. He bought a home and because it was involved in a fire he gutted the house in order to rebuild the entire inside. The problem is he is disabled and only has SSI income. He lives in central Indiana. Is there any help available through government or private agencies? I have searched high and low without any luck. This home needs everything from electrical to plumbing to walls and floors and this man needs help so that he can have a place to call home.

How can I get help with home repairs don't get enough money to fix my house and the house was a wedding gift to me and my wife

August 25, 2016 Flag

The man whose house burnt is 65 years old and handicapped. He couldn't afford homeowner's insurance. Is there someone he can call to get help gutting the inside of the home and help repairing it?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

September 22, 2016 Flag

I am a low income, single dad. I bought a fixer upper home, but then ran out of money before I could complete the bathrooms and kitchen. How and where can I get help?

There are government agencies that help low income families, however, they are often difficult to find. A very easy online search for "home repair low income family" produced many responses. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful federal government site:

https://www.disability.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

October 18, 2016 Flag

My roof needs to be fixed and so does some of my floor. I am 62 and on a fixed income. Does anyone know where I can get help?

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

September 13, 2016 Flag

This house was built in the 1960s, by my grandfather. The electrical system keeps cutting off in winter when I am trying to keep warm. The oil furnace also isn't working. I am disabled and low income. Where can I find help with these repairs?

I am a senior living in a mobile home and need help finding a handyman for light repairs and taking things to the

ECO station. I don't mind paying a reasonable rate. Have been ripped off many times and it really adds up. eg. replacing a door on a shred, staining a small deck, TV & propane to ECO etc.

Thank you

August 11, 2016 Flag

I live in Ft. Worth,Texas. The electric shut off in part of my house and I am disabled and can't afford an electrician. I don't know who to call to get help. The places that I called don't have the funding and I don't know what to do.

I am sorry that this is happening. I do not know of any government organization that can help. I hope the previous response was helpful.

If it was not, and you are still searching for assistance, do not be afraid to ask at your church (if you attend). These people are also your family and you will find they are eager to help. Good luck!

September 17, 2016 Flag

I am a single mother and grandmother, living in a two bedroom home. The house is old, in need of repair, no water running in anywhere but the bathroom, tiles falling down, and floor needing repair. I have 17 grandchildren and can only have a couple over at one time. I live in Center, Texas, in Shelby county. Is there any assistance available for home repair and maybe a room added on for me? I have a job, but I make only $10 an hour.

I am in need of house repairs. I am disabled and taking care of two grandsons 9 and 10 year old. My mother passed away January and left me our family home. This house is over 60 years old. I need help very bad. I just can't afford to fix it up. I only ge a little bit of income. Please help

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 27, 2013
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
🎉
🎄