Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

Category Miscellaneous
A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

I am a widow, disabled, and have low income. I need help with home repair. Can someone please tell me where I can get help with home repair for little or no cost?

Answer Was this helpful? 15

Answers

Best Answer

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

Best Answer

Habitat for humanity, they can help.

Best Answer

You should try to get help or information on where to go through a local agency or church.

this is a good site to gather information:

https://www.usa.gov/repairing-home

Best Answer

Check with your local churches. There are work groups in the summer that help low income, seniors and disabled people for free. Some will even provide the materials. Usually they have 1 to 3 work camps to teach the, as well as adults working with them.

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Answers

Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

PBP

I am a single mum with two boys. The situation is going to the left side for me. I do not like the way my house is leaking on us, the front porch is not fixed, the kitchen and the shower room also need repair. My children ask me questions about how we can find another house, but my only reply to them is to be patient, that things will get better one day. I am in school right now until 2020, working and taking care of my children. Is there any advice or help available from any organizations?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Reach out to local churches. Most of them have handyman ministries that help families like yours. They do this with joy to help give back to the community. Blessings and prayers for you.

My mom and dad live on a very strict social security budget. Their floors in their small home are falling down, the pipes are old and run. They need some help really badly. They can't afford much and I can help work, but not much money to pay out for someone to repair their home. Any help that they can get would be very welcome. They are 80 and 81 years old. Is there any help available for them?

By Sharon from Paris, KY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

I think there is a federal program, that is called different things in different communities. In some places it is called Opportunities for Independent Living. They have a limited amount of money each year.

I know people that had $10,000 worth of work done on their house and that increased the value of the house, therefore increasing the taxes on it by a significant amount. Maybe your folks would be better off selling their home for whatever they could get for it and getting into a HUD subsidized apartment.

The rent for them is figured at 30% of a person's income, and in SD the rent includes everything, but electricity, phone, cable, and internet. Heat, water, sewer, and garbage is included in the rent. They also wouldn't have to worry about property taxes or whatever they are called where you live.

Contact your Department of Social Services and see what you can find out about the organization that I mentioned. I don't know what it would be listed under in your phone book. Here in SD the organization is called Opportunities for Independent Living and in the town I live in it is called The Prairie Freedom Center. The organization finds their own repair people, and here the repair people only work when they feel like it.

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally.

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

Answers

Best Answer

There are organizations that do these repairs for low income elderly people. Contact your power company, your state and federal government have programs too. They did a lot of repairs for me. Also, check with the elder agencies.

Where can I get help? I live on $800 a month. I can't do anything. I stay home pray and cry. The siding on my home is rotting and molded and ugly. My son would help, but he passed at 36 from a heart attack on March 16th, 2016.

Answers

Best Answer

Your situation does not sound like a very good place to be but you say your "home" and does that mean that you own or have a mortgage or do you rent? It seems safe to assume you own your home so most of the suggestions you receive will be based on that assumption. Please understand that you may have to go to your church or HUD office if you feel that you need emergency repairs.

When completing government forms (asking for free assistance) the questions they generally ask will determine whether you are eligible for them to review your request. But please understand that government "help" can be very slow to be approved and sometimes even longer to start the work. Government agencies very rarely work any faster even when dealing with hazardous/unsafe situations as they will generally tell you to seek local help for immediate assistance. Sometimes people are lucky and help is faster.

Some things that determine your eligibility:

Age - health - disability - source and amount of income - already on government assistance program (food stamps) - living alone - mortgaged/own home - extend of repairs needed (they may determine the repairs your home needs to be too much and suggest you move to a more suitable place - they may help with this).

I would recommend you try contacting your local Habitat for Humanity as they do a lot of home repairs and they are local and can visit your home to get a first hand idea of what repairs you need. They will many times find you a temporary place to live while repairs are done if it seems necessary.

Here is a link that you can put your zip code and fine a Habitat office near you.

https://www.hab … ur-local-habitat

I'm a 35 yr old disabled mom of 3 kids. 2 of my daughters live with me. I have low income and get monthly checks. Is there any way I can get help with my house, it needs to be leveled? I own my house, but I can't get a loan on my home due to not enough income. I live in San Antonio Texas. I would appreciate it if anyone has information on where to look and can let me know. Thank you and God bless you.

Answers

Best Answer

Here is some help (governmental) for your area:

https://portal. … ship/homerepairs

Load More