Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

September 21, 2016 Flag

Small house resting on stacks of coins surrounded by hands holding tools used for home repairs.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide with free home renovation advice. Unfortunately there are many families and individuals who can not afford to make necessary renovations to their homes.

September 19, 2016 Flag

I am a widow, disabled, and have low income. I need help with home repair. Can someone please tell me where I can get help with home repair for little or no cost?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Habitat for humanity they can help

January 12, 2017 Flag

I am in need of someone that can help me with house leveling. I live in the San Antonio, Texas area. I have a broken drain main pipe and my house level is so low I can't do the work. I tried digging down as far as I can, but no luck. My husband told me to stop digging, but this is our home and we don't have the money to rent. His pay goes to bills and my pension on disabity is small. I can't do much with it. I don't want to give up. I just need some help or just someone that can help me find someone or some kind of program. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I will try .because I can honestly say there is no one who wants to help.

December 11, 2016 Flag

I am a single mum with two boys. The situation is going to the left side for me. I do not like the way my house is leaking on us, the front porch is not fixed, the kitchen and the shower room also need repair. My children ask me questions about how we can find another house, but my only reply to them is to be patient, that things will get better one day. I am in school right now until 2020, working and taking care of my children. Is there any advice or help available from any organizations?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need help to fix up my home can some one please please help mr

January 1, 2014 Flag

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

January 12, 2017 Flag

I have a mother-in-law who is 84 years old and a daughter that's on disability. My husband is only working a part time job and I'm on and off to work. I also have a 17 year old son who's in high school. We are considered a low income family. Is there any source of help out there that can help us fix the problems of our 50 year old home? It needs roofing, kitchen, and bathroom repairs.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)

US Administration on Aging 800.677.1116 www.eldercare.gov-financial, employment, legal & caregiving help

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

April 22, 2016 Flag

We need help finishing our home. I was building it when I became disabled and am unable to complete the work. The home is like 70% complete or more, but I cannot finish it on a fixed income.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband and I, just bought a mobile home  that's about 38 year's old We're needing a lot of up dates with being handicap accessible, we're low income family with no kids, where can we look for someone can help us  out? Looking to get a $50,000.00 grant. Thank  you.

April 30, 2016 Flag

I have a friend that's on disability. He bought a home and because it was involved in a fire he gutted the house in order to rebuild the entire inside. The problem is he is disabled and only has SSI income. He lives in central Indiana. Is there any help available through government or private agencies? I have searched high and low without any luck. This home needs everything from electrical to plumbing to walls and floors and this man needs help so that he can have a place to call home.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I get help with home repairs don't get enough money to fix my house and the house was a wedding gift to me and my wife

August 25, 2016 Flag

The man whose house burnt is 65 years old and handicapped. He couldn't afford homeowner's insurance. Is there someone he can call to get help gutting the inside of the home and help repairing it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

September 13, 2016 Flag

This house was built in the 1960s, by my grandfather. The electrical system keeps cutting off in winter when I am trying to keep warm. The oil furnace also isn't working. I am disabled and low income. Where can I find help with these repairs?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am a senior living in a mobile home and need help finding a handyman for light repairs and taking things to the

ECO station. I don't mind paying a reasonable rate. Have been ripped off many times and it really adds up. eg. replacing a door on a shred, staining a small deck, TV & propane to ECO etc.

Thank you

August 11, 2016 Flag

I live in Ft. Worth,Texas. The electric shut off in part of my house and I am disabled and can't afford an electrician. I don't know who to call to get help. The places that I called don't have the funding and I don't know what to do.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am sorry that this is happening. I do not know of any government organization that can help. I hope the previous response was helpful.

If it was not, and you are still searching for assistance, do not be afraid to ask at your church (if you attend). These people are also your family and you will find they are eager to help. Good luck!

September 22, 2016 Flag

I am a low income, single dad. I bought a fixer upper home, but then ran out of money before I could complete the bathrooms and kitchen. How and where can I get help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are government agencies that help low income families, however, they are often difficult to find. A very easy online search for "home repair low income family" produced many responses. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful federal government site:

https://www.dis … ity.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

September 17, 2016 Flag

I am a single mother and grandmother, living in a two bedroom home. The house is old, in need of repair, no water running in anywhere but the bathroom, tiles falling down, and floor needing repair. I have 17 grandchildren and can only have a couple over at one time. I live in Center, Texas, in Shelby county. Is there any assistance available for home repair and maybe a room added on for me? I have a job, but I make only $10 an hour.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

October 18, 2016 Flag

My roof needs to be fixed and so does some of my floor. I am 62 and on a fixed income. Does anyone know where I can get help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

August 16, 2015 Flag

Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to, to get help with fixing my home? I live in a three bedroom 1 .5 bath trailer, with my husband, our daughter, and our animals. We moved in here a few years ago and since doing so our home has been falling out from under us, literally.

Our floors are made of particle board and the gentleman we bought the home from said there were some problem spots, but he assured us he would get them fixed before selling us the trailer, but he did not. Shortly after moving in, our central heating/air system stopped working, and being as we are a low income family we suffered through the summer heat with only fans, and then suffered through winter cold with only blankets for warmth. Please we need help before any of us get seriously injured. We have no money to get it fixed as all of our money goes to bills, food for our animals, and essentials.

The provided pictures show a huge hole in our bathroom, and then where we are walking on nothing but beams and carpet in the bedroom where my family sleeps, and also partial imaging of what's going on under my daughter's bed.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree that you can learn to be a real DIYer. Lots of people have learned to make home repairs and taken on renovations.

However, if that is mold I'm seeing in those pictures, it is not safe to live in, even temporarily. And it does look like part of the floor has rotted and caved. If that is the case, it is not safe to stand on.

Only the homeowner really knows whether the home is livable even in the short term.

September 6, 2016 Flag

We need a sewer line repair. There is raw sewage in our basement. It will cost more money than we make in a year. Are there any resources to help us? We have poor credit and own our home (well a mtg company owns it until we finish paying for it).

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 20, 2015 Flag

I live in San Lorenzo, California. I am looking for some type of help to fix up the house I am living in. It is not mine, it is my fiance's grandmother's. She is 81 years old and lives here as well. I have a 3 year old and one on the way and I cannot stand the thought of us living in this house anymore, but we have no where else to go.

The biggest problems are: we have are cockroaches, rats, mice, mold, and termites. Also, the pipes are so bad that the walls shake and the smell that comes from them is so bad it smells like something died. There are many other problems with this house, but those are the important ones. I wish I could just pack up and leave, but unfortunately that is not an option. Is there any way we can get help to take care of these problems? As it is we barely have enough money to pay for bills and buy food. These problems are only going to get worse if we don't find a way to fix them. Thank you.

By Danielle R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please get your water tested. It may not be safe for the children. Is it well or city water.

August 18, 2016 Flag

I am on disability and need help putting my roof on and help fixing my bathroom. Where can I find an organization that will help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well me an my wife are purchasing a home that needs work done in it an we just can't afford it and we was trying to reach out to someone for help with the repairs so if someone can please contact me or send an email leading us in the right direction we will highly appreciate it thank you

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 27, 2013
Free Home Renovation Advice
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 22, 2017 at 10:05:40 PM on 10.0.1.71 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.