Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A repair man fixing a leaky roof.

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

Here are questions related to Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families.

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Seniors

How can my mom qualify for roof repair? It will need to be done soon. The roofer went out today to inspect, as we need a roof cert for insurance purposes that she needs vs the one she now has.

The house was built in 1960 and needs new roof soon. If the roofer finds it needs repairs just to get her roof cert now or before 2-14-14, she might have to stay w/her same insurance company. This is not good. We found a better carrier, but they require the roof cert and that will cost!

Is there any help around for seniors on "fixed income". She's 81 yrs. old and a widow.

By SL from Visalia, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Oneta Mutchler [11]01/25/2014

In Texas, I recently inquired about getting my house painted and windows repaired/replaced. There were options for many different cosmetic or badly needed repairs, paiting, depending on your needs. There is a section about paining homes, roofs replaced, all the way to plumbing repairs, electrical and etc. If you are low income you have to meet certain criteria to receive assistance.

In Fort Worth it goes through the City of Fort Worth and some are called "weatherization". There is another section about living arrangements for seniors.I found assistance information by putting in search "assistance for seniors with repairs, roofing and painting." That brought up several options to read for your own situation. Good luck, oredwine

Question: Free Home Renovation?

I have a home and it is in need of great repair. I don't have the money to pay for renovation and I would like to know if there is a free program on TV that I can enter or a company that will do it for free? I have 12 grandchildren and I would like for them to continue enjoying it with me. Some live with me. Will explain in great length. Thanks.

By Julia from Easley, SC

Most Recent Answer

By Julia [136]06/13/2010

Hi Juia,
You say you have 12 grandchildren, some of whom actually live with you. Would your children be able to help you with these home repairs? My husband and I are very lucky to have four children who all have skills and abilities or capabilities that we no longer have, and they are quite willing to help us do anything. Sometimes all we have to do is ask.

Our home is "their home", and they are as interested in keeping it as nice as possible since they will all benefit from the sale of it after Papa and I no longer need an earthly home. But you do sometimes have to ask. They might know a lot, but I was never able to teach my four to be mind-readers.

I think many people are hesitant to ask their children for anything at all and this ends up hurting them in more ways than one. If they cannot help you for one reason or another, that's another matter, but we taught our 3 daughters and one son that charity begins at home and those words are to taken literally.

We have always helped them in every way possible, and vice versa, even the girls' husbands and our son's wife fit into that picture very well. That's just what families do and what it means to be a family.

I would like to see this country go back to being a "family oriented" civilization. It would take a big strain off all of us in the long run. We would not need such a big government with agencies for this or that and every little thing.

In addition to immediate family members, most folks have what we call an "extended family" which is a network of close friends who can be called upon when help is needed. We just need to remember that to "have a friend, we must be a friend". This is the way our country survived during the Second World War, and it would be wonderful to see those values come back into American lives.

I wish you the best Julia in Easley, SC
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Question: Help with House Repairs

My mom has entered a nursing home in Glenora, California and she left me her house. I'm not working at the moment. This house is very old, and needs a lot of repairs. I'm just about to get citations from the city of San Gabriel, and also have the health department after me. Can anyone help me please?

By Daniel R.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/13/2013

hi - redhatterb gave an excellent answer so the only thing I can add is try some of your "local" web site like Craigslist as they have sections for questions like this.

Try to think "out of the box" to look for some help but most of your "help" is going be your own.

Question: Finding Free Help With Home Repairs

My husband and I are caring for our 2 grandkids and the DFS just came and took them to foster care due to the fact that we can't afford repairs and remodling on our house. My husband is not in good health and the house is over 100 years old.

By Shannon

Most Recent Answer

By cathy333 [3]06/22/2013

You might also check with your city of county offices. Sometimes they have home rehabilitative programs.

Question: Finding Financial Help with Home Repairs

My name is Pam. My husband, Jackie has renal cell carcinoma and has had brain surgery, both lower lobes of lungs removed and a kidney removed. Our house is falling apart and roach infested. We have custody of our 10 year old granddaughter and barely getting by. My parents live next door, but they are 88 and 85 and I help with them also. I'm 57 and in desperate need of help. We have no where to turn. Please help or advise me on finding help with repairs, if possible. Thank you.

By Pamela from Clarkton, MO

Most Recent Answer

By Deborah Weightman06/05/2013

http://www.mhdc.com/homes/hero/index.htm

this url is for help with home repairs for low-income people in Missouri

Question: Financial Assistance for Roof Repair for Seniors

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

Most Recent Answer

By Annie Rios Hill [12]09/25/2011

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.
Good luck.

Question: Finding Home Repair Help for People on Fixed Low Incomes

My mom and dad live on a very strict social security budget. Their floors in their small home are falling down, the pipes are old and run. They need some help really badly. They can't afford much and I can help work, but not much money to pay out for someone to repair their home. Any help that they can get would be very welcome. They are 80 and 81 years old. Is there any help available for them?

By Sharon from Paris, KY

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Taylor [10]01/13/2011

I volunteer for a national charity called Love,INC. We do exactly what you are asking for! Here's a link to the website with locations in each state. Call the one closest to your parents. They'll be happy to help!
http://www.loveinc.org/our-work/locations/

Question: Home Repair for Low Income Families

I have a friend whose house needs complete remodeling, roof, plumbing, dry wall, etc. I feel that her home is not a safe place. She is on disability and she is not physically or financially capable of doing any of the work. She has no family to call on.

By Wendy

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]08/08/2014

The thing with getting into Section 8 housing/low income housing is, depending where you live there is usually quite a long waiting list. Where I live it is roughly five years.

Question: Making Room for the New Baby

I am a single mother of a 7 year old and have one on the way. I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath mobile home and there is just not enough room for all the baby stuff. I really need help building a room onto my mobile home for my new baby. Is there any help out there for low income families?

By Ashley W.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/26/2014

Do you own your mobile home? Are you working? You state you are a single mother but does that mean you never married or are you divorced?
Is the father of the 7 year old or the new baby providing support?
If not - why? Have you checked on legal help to "make" the fathers pay support? The fathers are who you should be asking for help.

You probably presently receive government benefits so ask for help at the Department of Family & Children either in your area or on line. They may have some suggestions or visit your local church.

I believe it will be very difficult in the present economy to find someone willing to do this type of work (free labor and free expensive materials plus permits etc).

It seems that you have a nice setup with a home with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths so my suggestion would be to try and rearrange your present home to accommodate the new baby. Many people have to use other areas in their homes when the circumstances warrant it.

Question: Roof Repair of Low Income Families

I live in Ohio and I just found out I need a new roof on my house. I am totally disabled and live on Social Security only. I have no other assets. Where I find help?

By BJP

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]07/23/2014

There is a nationwide organization that helps seniors and disabled people with home repairs. I can't tell you the name of it because it has different names in different locations, even in different cities in the same state. I THINK most of the time it is referred to as Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL). They go by income, and let's face it some people get a large amount for disability.

I have a friend who between disability from the state where she was injured on the job, Federal government disability(SSD), her retirement SS and her ex-husbands retirement SS, she gets well over $2,000 a month and complains about not being able to do this or that. I live off $700 a month retirement SS and manage to get by.

That being said back in 1983 I decided to move into an apartment (I was 43), and don't have to worry about lawn care, snow removal, etc. I also don't have to worry about home repairs, heat, water, sewer, garbage, and my cable is also included in the rent as a thank you for renting from the landlord.

That being said, if a person does get help from the nationwide organization, they have to stay in the home for a certain number of years or else pay back on a pro-rated basis. I have a sister who got help from them and ended up having to go into a nursing home, and when her house was sold, a portion of what she made on the sale had to go to pay back the organization that repaired her home. There is also a waiting list to get this help.

Speak with your social worker/welfare worker at the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. Also I don't know if the Salvation Army where you live would help. This summer in the city where I live they have volunteers from different businesses that are volunteering to paint houses for seniors. My guess is for the repairs that you need they would have to find volunteers from a building supply place or something. Your best bet will be to ask questions.

Question: Finding Help for Family Needing Home Repair

My husband and I were handed my family home after a few years of my great grandmothers passing. We were struggling to pay rent and bills. As far as we knew the home was in decent condition with only minor repairs to be done.

As we soon discovered, after putting what money we had into it, there was more to be done than we could afford. We had to move in with family after draining all our money into repairs. We had no way to get another rental.

We own this home and it does mean a lot to me I grew up there but more immportantly its our only home to live in. Staying with family and friends with 3 kids is just not possible for much longer.

My question is is there any resources possibly out there to help us. We have had people breaking in constantly and numerous people in there and just damaging it more and more we have changed the locks dozens of times and screwed all the windows shut, but that hasn't stopped them from breaking the glass. Please can someone help?

By M.R.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/22/2014

It is nice to "own" a piece of land right now. Most on this site would not know where you live or even if you live in the US so it is kinda difficult to even give suggestions.

I also believe there are many on this site that are in financial situations comparable to yours (or worse?).

I generally assume that questions are from the US. That said, you do not say anything about your ages, your general health, if you are both working, or the ages of the children. These four factors will make a lot of difference when you are seeking "free" help.

Sometimes it is possible to get a loan to make repairs and generally repayment would be less than rent. Have you tried your local church? There may be someone there that can give you advice on where to seek help. Try senior service centers for information.

Habitat sometimes help "qualified" families with repairs. They also may be able to offer advice.

If you are receiving food stamps or other assistance you may be able to discuss your situation with this office. They may not help but it appears you should be trying everything.

Free help and materials may not be available to able bodied adults but you may be able to find someone that can help you if you furnish materials. If you are currently living (rent free?) with relatives maybe you have money to help with materials?

In my county there are "homeless" shelters that sometimes offer free living quarters to families for a short period of time - Look for places that offer free lunches and give them a visit. They should have some suggestions also.

I hope you are able return to "own" home soon.

Question: Finding Help for Low Income Family House Repairs

I am a disabled grandma with a disabled 19 year old. I am low income, on disability and working. I need help to fix water pump or well? The water pumps then stops. I am living on my $1300 a month with 850 going to house payment, taxes, and insurance.

By Tammy

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]06/19/2014

redhatterb has given very good info. You could also talk to someone at your church as sometimes there are members who have skills/businesses that will help members.

1,300 dollars a month is a pretty good monthly income. Does this amount include your work wages?
Is this income from your disability, your grandson's disability, your "over 65" social security, and wages? Is it a fixed amount and not going to change? If so, you should be very thankful as you are blessed.

From your remarks it appears you are buying your home and not renting? Perhaps you bought when your income was at a higher level or, you made a decision to purchase more than you could easily pay?

It would seem that you may have to consider downsizing to more affordable lodgings as there is no way you can continue to pay this amount of money each month without assistance.

I feel sure you probably receive some type of "entitlements" such as food stamps and/or assistance for disability (you & your grandson?) but who knows how long our country can continue all of these programs? You should think long term and try to reduce your monthly outgo.

I know this may sound harsh to some people but I believe in self survival and we should keep looking for things and ways we can do toward being independent of others. I do believe in helping others that are in need but only after they have worked toward that goal themselves.

There are lots of people who really need assistance (and you may be one of those), but it does appear that you can do a little more toward helping your situation.

I hope you find someone to help you with your present problem but please start making plans for the future before you have future problems.

Question: Home Repair Help for the Low Income Senior Citizen

I have a small leak I think it is the hot water tank and need my small hallway painted. I am on Social Security.
I need help. Any suggestions?

By Ernesto S

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]06/05/2014

You mentioned your income but you didn't say if you were unable to paint. This sounds like a quick fix but the church tip is a good one. If not, you don't qualify for assistance for something this small. I would have your landlord (if you rent) fix the leak. Or, put towels under it and see if it is the HWH. If not, go from there.

Question: Finding Help for Home Repair

How can I enter my 82yr old mom in a contest to get help or remodel her home and/or repairs? She doesn't fit any government criteria for assistance. I've searched everywhere. Who can we contact to ask for a home remodeling project to my mom's house? My mom is amazing. She's always helping everyone in anyway she can. She is a God-fearing woman with a huge heart. She is always putting everybody else first instead of herself. She has a small 2 bedroom home in a nice diverse neighborhood. Who can we call or email our story to for help?

By Brenda

Question: Electrical Home Improvement

I live in Luzerne County Pennsylvania and I'm disabled and need electrical work done, but am on a low income. I noticed other counties in Pennsylvania have home repair assistance, but see none for our county. Would you know of any programs that I could take advantage of in my county?

By Denise W.

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]05/07/2014

How much work do you need done, and if it is a large amount, you should have had it done in small increments. Also is it a matter of necessity or for something that you want in the line of entertainment? There is a nationwide government organization that will help elderly and disabled people with home repairs. It has different names in different states and even in different cities within a state.

You will have to do some research to find it because I only know about it by word of mouth. Whether or not they can help you will depend on the type of electrical work you need done and whether or not what you consider to be a disability is actually a disability. There is also a waiting list and it does depend on income. Also if they do repairs for a person that person has to stay in the home for a certain number of years and if for some reason they have to move out of the home, they have to repay the cost of the repairs on a pro-rated basis.

I know of some disabled people that work enough hours that they earn $900 a month and there is a way that they can still keep their medicaid. When people own a home they should budget a certain amount every month for repairs that might be needed. You can also call 211, it is a nationwide clearing house that has a list of organizations that will help people with various things, depending on your locality.

Question: Finding Low Income Family Home Repair Assistance

My dad is in desperate need of help in repairing his house, it's falling apart. He can't afford to repair it. His ceiling had a small fire due to really old wiring, one bathroom shower is leaking water under the house. The attic is too old to go into, you might fall through. The ceiling in room was repaired, but is falling through again, due to, yet again water damage. The house is super cold in the winter and deathly hot in the summer. Poorly ventilated. Oh yes, the house may have a problem with the breakers.

He really needs help fixing his house up, please advise!

By Adrianna R.

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]05/02/2014

It is cheaper to make repairs one at a time, as the need occurs. There is a nationwide organization that is government based that will help seniors and the disabled with things like that. I don't know the name of it because it has different names in different states and even in different cities.

From what I understand they do have limits on the cost of repairs and there is a waiting list. Also, if for some reason you father would have to leave the house before a certain number of years had elapsed the repair money would have to be paid back on a pro-rated basis. You could also talk to your Dad's pastor. Sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation and there might even be some members of the church that could do some of the repair work and maybe even some that could donate some of the necessary materials. You will have to do some investigating in your area to find the organization I told you about.

Question: House Needs a Lot of Repair

My grandma and I live in the house she owns. When she first bought it no one took the time to tell her it had caught on fire, let alone that there's no foundation to the home. The house is literally caving in on us. It's so bad I have trouble sleeping at night. The ceilings are falling in, the walls are starting to fall in as well, the walls are separating from the floor and we can see how the house is just sitting on the ground, the floors are also giving out even upstairs. Our electric is so bad that we barely have outlets to use because they all keep blowing.

She paid someone to fix the electric and redo all of it, but instead he pocketed all the money and left all the old electric wiring and never even finished the job. She took a loan out on the house for the guy to fix the house, but it's worse than ever and she's scared if she leaves they'll come after her. I'm so scared my grandma, our beloved dog, and myself are going to have the house fall on us. I need advice please because we have no where else to go.

By Elissa

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]05/02/2014

When you grandma bought the house she should have had it inspected before the final purchase and if the person selling the house refused to make needed repairs she shouldn't have bought the house. Who was helping your grandma to make sure she didn't make unwise purchases?

There is a nationwide government sponsored organization that will help seniors and disabled people make home repairs. I don't know the name of it because it has different names in different states and even different cities. That being said from the things you said is wrong with the house I don't think they would do all of the repairs.

Also, if for some reason you and your grandma would have to leave the house before a certain amount of time elapses the repairs have to be paid back on a pro-rated basis. IF you are as hard up as you say you must have a social worker/welfare worker with the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. If you do talk to that person and see if they know of any help you can get. Also talk to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation and their might even be people in the congregation that can do the work or even donate some of the necessary materials.

Is the house completely paid for? If so, I don't know who would come after you folks, the only thing that could happen is the County could eventually sell if for unpaid taxes, which from the way the house sounds, would be no big loss.

Question: Finding Help Home Repairs

My dad has kidney failure. We're a small family of 5; including me, my sister, and brother. Dad has no job as he is on dialysis. Mom is working to make ends meet and I have my own debts and two kids. My brother and sister make minimum wage and the house is falling apart. Is there any organization that can help?

By Yolanda

Most Recent Answer

By Sandy [5]04/29/2014

I was also going to suggest the church also. I am sure there are Christians there that will help you, and if there are able-bodied people living there they can help with the repairs. Sometimes people just don't know how to make the repairs and they fear making it worse, or starting and not being able to finish them. Also, the cost of materials is prohibitive. We have a place here in Pittsburgh and it's called Construction Junction. They have everything there, very reasonably priced. I am sure if you contact your area on aging, and the social agencies in the blue pages of the phone book, you will find help. And you'll probably learn so much!

Question: Help with Rebuild After Fire

I need help rebuilding my house, after we lost everything. My fiancee and I have three kids. We have been together for ten years. We have a two, three, and eight year old. We have no money or material. Looking for help. I have no clue where to start or where to find the right help. Anything would help. Thank you.

By Jon H. Joplin, MO

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]04/10/2014

Did you have homeowner's insurance on your house? If you did you should have made sure to have enough coverage that you could afford to rebuild. It is really inexpensive to have insurance, instead of having to worry about a place to live. As far as finding the materials and labor to rebuild I don't know what to tell you. I know some areas have a store called "Restore" which is connected with Habitat For Humanity they sell used doors, windows, cabinets, etc. cheaply but those things won't do you any good without lumber for the frame work, etc.

Question: Help Fixing Floors and Roof

My daughter is disabled and has 3 children. She is buying a house and doesn't have the funds to fix it. Is there anywhere she can get help with this? She can't even get her home owner's insurance because of this problem.

By Becky P.

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]04/04/2014

I don't have any answers for how to get help, but I do question the wisdom of buying a house that is already falling apart. If one is a handyperson, there might be sense in this, but if your daughter is disabled, how does this make sense? Home ownership is one repair and maintenance task after another, especially if it is an older home.

Is there not some sort of subsidized housing in your area where rent is based on income? This is a much better way to go. My cousin in her 60's who lives on a very small fixed income has a lovely little rental unit that she can afford, all home repairs and yard care taken care of. There are also units in our town that someone with children would qualify for. I think this whole idea of home ownship should be rethought; I don't think, from your description, that it is affordable or prudent.

Question: Home Repair Grant Denied

I am on Social Security Disability, I had signed up for a home improvement grant 6 years ago with my Neighborhood Community Development Association. I just received a notice in the mail stating that if I had a bankruptcy that was not discharged that I would no longer be eligible for the home repair grant. I signed up for the grant in 2008 of March. I have been waiting for this grant for almost 6 years, I had to file for a bankruptcy 2 years ago because my husband lost his job. I was also told that I couldn't put in another application until my bankruptcy has been discharged for a full year. Does this mean that I have to wait another six years just for me to be the next one on the list? Or can someone tell me if I can contact a government official on this matter?

By Tiffany

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]03/29/2014

You will have to contact the association that you are applying to for answers to your questions.
All states and counties have different rules and regulations for this sort of thing.

Question: Finding Help with Home Repair

I am disabled and take home less than 1300$ a month. I have a bathroom floor that is soft and a roof in the bathroom that is leaking. Where can I go for help? I do have a family, so I really need this repair done. Thank you.

By Sterling E.

Most Recent Answer

By zeepp03/21/2014

Check with local civic orgs or churches - habitat for humanity - local tv stations - town hall - united way - lowes & home depot -211 or 311 info lines, etc. many communities have a day or 2 where volunteers get together to help those in need with chores and repairs and local businesses donate supplies. they are usually in the spring - so act quickly!

Question: Applying for Home Repair Assistance in Kentucky

My mother is disabled, only has one hand. She's raising my niece who has cerebral palsy. Her house is in desperate need of many repairs. Two ceilings have fallen down in rooms, it has water leaks causing floors to begin rotting, needs new roof, outside guttering, and much more actually. My mom and niece both receive SSI, barely enough to pay their bills. If anyone knows of any kind of assistance I may be able to apply for to help my mom, I'd greatly appreciate it.

By Althea M.

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/18/2014

Repairs should have been made one at a time as needed, that way it would be more affordable. That being said, there is a nationwide organization that helps senior citizens and disabled people with home repairs. It has different names in different states and cities. You can probably find out about it by talking to your mothers social worker with the Department of Social Services/welfare office. There is a waiting list and help does depend on income.

What some people consider low income isn't necessarily low income. Also if people get help from this organization you have to stay in the home for a certain number of years. If for some reason you have to leave the house before that time limit you have to payback the amount on a pro-rated basis.

I have a sister who received repairs from the organization and then ended up having to go into a nursing home, then when her house got sold she had to pay back some money on a pro-rated basis. Also your mother is the one that is going to have to apply for help, not you. If you have a pastor talk to him, sometimes they will take up a special offering in church for a needy member of the congregation. Maybe it is time to sell the house as it, and move into an apartment.

Question: Organizations That Help With Home Repair

I didn't know if any of the organizations you would know of help young families repair their homes. I have a 1 year old and 1 on the way I don't have the money to fix my roof. My pipes are all bad, the floors are weak, and my siding is gone. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be great :(

By Martha S

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]03/07/2014

I would like to add - redhatterb has an excellent point about contacting Habitat but their program is not for everyone as you do have a thorough evaluation before they agree to help you.
I work with Habitat and theirs is not a "give away" program like so many other organizations.

Question: Help to Build a Dream

My father bought a burned down property across the street about 4 years ago. He told me recently that if my wife and I wanted the property, we could buy it for the $1,000.00 he paid for it. It sits on 3/4 acre. Everything is burned down except the bricks and 20% of the frame. My wife and I would love to rebuild this house, and make it our home. Any suggestions on any grants for our situation?

By Terry from Webb, MS

Most Recent Answer

By Tamara L. J.03/22/2014

There's a website called, "go fund me", maybe you could hit up your facebook community or something.

Question: Older Trailer Repairs

I own 1979 trailer house. It needs some floors replaced. The windows are getting bad, and the frame around the front door is getting weak. Not sure what to think. Both my wife and I are on disablitiy and can not afford payment on a new trailer house.

By Delmar S. from Alliance NE

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]02/28/2014

This is what I got when I googled energy assistance Nebraska https://www.google.com/#q=energy+assistance+nebraska. They are a good place to start. In most states, if you have Native American blood in you you don't have to wait as long. I don't know about Nebraska but it is that way in Oregon. If you also know anyone from church, community centers, or the local Habitat for Humanity, they can help, too. I hope that helps.

Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Persons

My house has no heat and no insulation under it. It was built in 1983. I am disabled and low income. Is there a program or a government grant I can get for a coal or wood burning stove? LIHEAP is always out of funds in my are. I live in Prestonsburg, Kentucky. The weatherization people were here last year, but never came back. I qualify for wall heaters, but they are always out of money also. Can anyone help me or am I going to have to move?

By Paul

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Z [5]02/22/2014

I think you mean your basement isn't heated and it's not insulated as well. You should contact your Village Town Hall & ask for the phone number to the Senior Services Dept. As for LIHEAP I get it all the time the secret is to get the date from your Senior Service Dept. as to when the next enrollment date is and when to call them for an appointment to apply for it. Sounds like whoever is responsible for doing this hasn't done that. Try it and see.

Question: Need Help With Home Repairs

I live on $700 a month SSI. My trailer is completely falling apart. I have tree limbs falling on the top, so I have holes in my roof. I have windows that are leaky. I have vents for the heat, but only two work because of raccoons and other animals.

I desperately need energy efficient doors and windows with screens put in here, so I can afford my bills. My power bill has been $400 a month. I have emotional issues. I'm on nine medications. Medicaid only pays for four, and so five of them have to come out of my pocket. Anyone know where I can find an agency or organization that can help? Thank you.

By Donna M.

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]02/17/2014

I had a friend in this position; her trailer was too far gone to be fixed. She applied for and got an apartment for low income, disabled, or senior housing. In out state, the Housing Authority takes care of this.

Question: Getting Help to Repair a Heat Pump

I live in Mt. Sterling Kentucky. I am low income, live on fixed income. Is there help for this?

By Ron

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/08/2014

Depending on your age and whether or not you are disabled all states have an organization that will help low income people with home repairs. You do have to qualify income wise. Just because you feel low income doesn't mean you will be considered low income. This organization is called different things in different states and even in different cities in the same state.

Where I live it is called the Independent Living Center and 200 miles away it is called Opportunities for Independent Living (OIL). There are many other names for it. If a person qualifies they do have to wait to have the repairs done until somebody is available to do them. That being said I know there are requirements as to how long a person has to stay in the home after the repairs have been made(year wise).

If a person leaves the home before that time is up, they have to pay off the repairs in pro-rated manner. If you are low enough income to have a social/welfare worker talk to that person about it. Also if you have a pastor talk to them about it. Sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation.

Question: Roof Repairs for Low Income Families

I own my own house, have a low income and a disabled son, and we need a new roof. I have not got the money to have it done. I can't get loans for it do. Does anyone know who I can get to help me?

By Ruth

Question: Grants or Organizations Offering Free Roof Repair

I am a pre-k teacher in South Dakota, living way below the low income line. My roof is in desperate need of repair. I have water coming in. I have a great credit score which allows me to apply for any loan I want, but I can not afford any extra payments a month due to my tight budget.

I'm already selling off my personal belongings just to make payments on my winter utilities. I was hoping to find some kind of grant or organization that helps with free roof repairs. I'm so lost on what I can do to fix this huge problem before it gets any worse. Please help me!

By Ms. J

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Z [5]02/09/2014

Try Habitat of America call & ask them for help.

Question: Free Roof Replacement for Our House

Is there any one or place we can go to get help replacing our roof? We have very low income and my son has medical problems. We have no money to get it done.

By Tracy

Best Answers

By Karen Plett02/03/2014

I live in York County, PA and have the same problem. I found out that the York County planning commission has a program for people in our situation. It takes several steps in the process but if it works out it is worth it. It is basically a no interest loan that only comes due if you sell the house. They also provide the contractors. There is an option to use your own but they will have to bid with the others to qualify. Hope this helps! Google stuff in your area for your county's planning commission.

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]02/01/2014

I assume you have a social worker with the Department of Social services/Welfare Office. Talk to them, they should know about this nationwide organization that helps with things like that. It is called different names in different towns.

Several years ago, my sister had them do some repairs on her house, but you also have to stay in the house for a certain number of years or pay it back on a pro-rated basis. They also don't rush right in and do the repairs. You do have to meet income guidelines, and just because you feel hard up, doesn't necessarily mean you are.

How old is your son? I assume he receives Medicaid or disability. You should be keeping up with repairs that are needed while they are small, then it wouldn't be so hard to have the repairs made. I am so thankful I sold my house back in 1983 and have lived in apartments since then. When something needs to be repaired I call the manager and it gets taken care of. I didn't get rich selling my house, the proceeds after paying it off had to be split between my ex-husband and myself.

Question: Roof and Sewer Repairs for Low Income Families

We bought a house last year; we are a low income family of 5. We don't have the money to get our roof fixed or sewer. I was wondering what kind of help is out there. My husband is on disability and I am having a hard time finding a job since nobody is hiring.

We were trying to box in an old chimney you can say it collapsed and we had a friend get on the roof to fix it. He did a poor job, but it was free. We do have some leaks and we need help.

By Debbie

Most Recent Answer

By Tanya [4]02/04/2014

Sometimes churches have programs for such things. Call some of your local churches and inquire.

Question: Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Best Answers

By Sandi [391]01/03/2014

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.
If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.
PBP

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]01/01/2014

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

Question: Low Income Home Repair Help in England

My sister Sheri lives in Nailsworth Glouster England. Sadly, my sis suffers very badly with huge mental health problems not helped by her lovely cottage falling into disrepair over the years. Currently my sis lives with no water, no heat, no kitchen, or bathroom, generally in the winter it is colder inside her home than outside. I have very little money and the task is now to big, as it is almost a renovation project. Sadly my sis is very suicidal and self harms, she is very clever, but work never seems to work out, often not getting paid and hence has been left in financial ruin. Does anyone know of an agency that can help her with repairs?

By Cara from Cirencester, England

I need help with my mom's house, it falling apart. She can't afford to have it fixed. She lets me and my kids stay here and I want to give her something back that she always wanted, her dream house.

By Lavonnda

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]11/20/2013

I agree with Eggz about painting vinyl floors. When I was kid my late mother painted our living room, dining room and kitchen vinyl several times because we could never afford new. My mother did it on her hands and knees.

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Disabled Seniors

I live in Jax Florida. My sister is a disabled senior who just started getting Social Security. We have tried all the local and state agencies. She needs her roof replaced. Even the rafters are bad! Nobody seems to be able to help.
Can anyone help us?

By deana0123 from Jax, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Patricia Nicholas [13]05/22/2013

Check with your local Habitat for Humanity, they don't just build new homes they often rehab homes. Here is the Jacksonville, FL website: http://habijax.org/

Question: Finding Financial Help in the UK to Repair Home Dangers

My friend's partner was diagnosed with a brain tumour on Christmas eve. She had to leave work to look after him. He has had it removed, but has lost movement on his right side. They were part way through some house improvements. They have wires hanging from the ceiling in their bathroom, they currently have no income as the job centre has messed up their claim. They have had a flood in the living room ruining their wood flooring, the cat turned the grill on and there is smoke damage in the kitchen. Their luck is dreadful and they need help. What can I apply for, to nominate them?

By louise

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/23/2013

Are they in council or other social housing? If so, the council or authority may have funds to help.

As a brain tumour is usually a cancer, the wonderful cancer charities might also be a source of assistance, try looking into MacMillian Cancer Support and Cancer Research UK. Both sites offer resources, links to other organisations, and forums for carers and patients-it may be one of those forums will provide a place for your friends to find some help getting their reno finished, and will certainly help with emotional support during this extremely difficult time.

Is your friend registered as a carer? Carers get an allowance once registered and the income can be quite helpful making ends meet.

The couple might consider a free listing on their local GumTree asking for help, too. You would be surprised how many joiners and builders are willing to volunteer their time to help people who've hit a rough patch.

I'm in Scotland; your post doesn't say where in the UK your friends are, and resource links are different between Scotland and the rest of the UK which is why I'm not posting any links. Run a search using the term 'carer benefits (and the name of your county or country), for example: "carer benefits scotland" and "free renovation assistance scotland" to try bringing up some links in your search engine.

Good luck to you in your search and to your friends!

Question: Home Repair Organizations for Low Income Families

We are in desperate need of a new roof. We have no money. We can see daylight through our bedroom ceiling. We are 65 years old and on SSI disability, have no credit, and no money. Our roof fell in in our bedroom. Since we can't afford a new roof and no one will give us credit, does anyone know of a resource for house repairs for low income individuals? I was not able to upload a photo.

Thank you.

By Chas and Barb

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [13]09/16/2011

I just heard on the evening news that our local Habitat For Humanity has started doing some minor home repairs. What they were showing was homes being painted, things like that. So far they have done 50 homes, this summer and fall. You could also call the pastor of your church, he might know of people in the church that could help you out. Do you have any family that could help you. Most likely instead of getting a whole new roof, you would probably get patches. You can also call 211, this is a nationwide organization that keeps a list of various non-profit groups that help people with various things or can help you find places that will help. There is also a program called Adult Services for Aging, located with the Department of Social Services, they might be able to give you some helpful advice. If you have a social worker they might even have some ideas.

Question: Free Home Repair After a House Fire

My home was damaged in a house fire; I had no insurance on it. My mother is dying and I can't work a job because I'm taking care of her in her last days. She's 89 years of age and I hate having to keep moving her from place to place. I really need some help in fixing up my home.

By Mary

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]08/16/2011

I always find it interesting that those who's advice is more pragmatic and less friendly than helpful don't sign their names when they post. Perhaps these folks don't belong to a church? Not everyone does. And yes, there is free home repair. Suggesting HUD is 3 years minimum, and most likely this lovely lady will have no further need for a home by then.

I would come over with a hammer and nails if I knew where you lived, but short of that, here is a link from Google that I simply put in "free help after a fire" and got this one that I think might help.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5033766_can-after-house-fire.html

If the local paper or news station can help, I would make my plight public, that is when things get done and people step up to help. I wish you all the best of luck and you have my condolences as to your mom. No one should leave this world without a roof over their heads and someone to care for you...one thing she needs and the other she has. You, bless you for that.
Sandi/Poor But Proud

Question: Programs to Assist Low Income Families with Home Repairs

How do I find a program that assists with household repairs?

By Charmain

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Taylor [10]11/12/2010

Here's a link to a great charity, Love INC ( In the name of Christ)
http://www.loveinc.org/our-work/locations/ They have branches all over the country. They handle home repair, car repairs, every sort of problem.

Question: My House is Falling Apart

My husband died in 1999, and he left me a 80 year old home. The floors are caving in, and the walls are busted. The roof is falling in and it's raining in the house and all I can do is pray. I've tried fixing it myself but all I can do is live in it because I have no where else to go. Can you please give me some advise?

Denise

Most Recent Answer

By norma (Guest Post)07/06/2008

Obtain a reverse mortgage, look for information on internet.

Solutions: Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!