Browsing: Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

There are times when household repairs just can not wait until you have the money to complete the project. This guide is about finding home repair help for low income families.

A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about free home renovation help. Unfortunately there are many families and individuals who can not afford to make necessary renovations to their homes.

Small house resting on stacks of coins surrounded by hands holding tools used for home repairs.

September 19, 2016 Flag

I am a widow, disabled, and have low income. I need help with home repair. Can someone please tell me where I can get help with home repair for little or no cost?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

September 17, 2016 Flag

I am a single mother and grandmother, living in a two bedroom home. The house is old, in need of repair, no water running in anywhere but the bathroom, tiles falling down, and floor needing repair. I have 17 grandchildren and can only have a couple over at one time. I live in Center, Texas, in Shelby county. Is there any assistance available for home repair and maybe a room added on for me? I have a job, but I make only $10 an hour.

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

September 13, 2016 Flag

This house was built in the 1960s, by my grandfather. The electrical system keeps cutting off in winter when I am trying to keep warm. The oil furnace also isn't working. I am disabled and low income. Where can I find help with these repairs?

I am a senior living in a mobile home and need help finding a handyman for light repairs and taking things to the

ECO station. I don't mind paying a reasonable rate. Have been ripped off many times and it really adds up. eg. replacing a door on a shred, staining a small deck, TV & propane to ECO etc.

Thank you

I own an double wide moble hom and I dont have no electricity in half of my house and sometimes I see sparks and I feel scared its going to light on fire and I have to use lamps in half of my house and my electricity bill is always high I cant afford to pay anyone to fix it and I need some help I am hearing impaired and disabled pleas I need help before my house burns down

August 25, 2016 Flag

The man whose house burnt is 65 years old and handicapped. He couldn't afford homeowner's insurance. Is there someone he can call to get help gutting the inside of the home and help repairing it?

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

Benefit Types:

Benefits Enrollment Center

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

I am at my last straw.I badly in of help .This house is I need of lot work ,the roof the house fixing up before winter .because it cold in this house.

January 1, 2014 Flag

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

PBP

I live in Petaluma I am on SSI and a cancer patient this last Sunday on August 28 2016 my gas close dryer just tumbles but wont dry and I don't have any money to fix my clothes dryer my SSI money goes for my rent and the rest goes for my golden gate transit bus to see my cancer doctor in san Francisco at uc hospital many times I don't have money to buy food or bathroom tissue can you please help me fix my close dryer I should mention I live alone and do not have any family at all

April 22, 2016 Flag

We need help finishing our home. I was building it when I became disabled and am unable to complete the work. The home is like 70% complete or more, but I cannot finish it on a fixed income.

Thank you for information

I have honestly been looking for help everywhere! We are in desperate need of really a new home but the tralior my kids and I live in now the floors have fell in bath tub has fell in and the floor has fell in I did have mushrooms growing in the bathroom we had to close off. I just wondering if u could direct me in the right place I have a 7 year old little girl, a 11 year old girl and a 5 year old boy and we have ran outta room we bought this as a repo and it's had it we have lived in it over 12 years. The roof leaks has since we moved in.. And my old bathroom had cut off to the rest of the house was growing mushrooms outta the floors. I am on a fixed income and I dk what else to do..

September 6, 2016 Flag

We need a sewer line repair. There is raw sewage in our basement. It will cost more money than we make in a year. Are there any resources to help us? We have poor credit and own our home (well a mtg company owns it until we finish paying for it).

There are government agencies that help low income families, however, they are often difficult to find. A very easy online search for "home repair low income family" produced many responses. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful federal government site:

https://www.disability.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousNovember 27, 2013
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 7:53:00 AM on 10.0.2.17 in 118 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.