Post Office Lost a Package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

July 18, 2016 Flag

My sister sent a priority mail containing an international passport to me from another state. We tracked it and showed that it was scanned into my mail box, but I didn't find it in my box. I've complained to the USPS, they promised to investigate, but I've yet to hear any positive news about it from them.
Please what steps can be taken to get the mail because it takes a fortune to replace the passport.

Have you had problems with your mail service before?

Did you try to question the carrier as they may remember something - but I would not count on it.

Is this a regular box by the street or an apartment?

Did you also ask Neighbors ?

I am sure you have already done most of this but just in case ....

Try your local postmaster again as repeated inquires may help get more attention. A personal visit is better and you can also try the customer service division in Washington - get the information about who to contact on Google.

Also, most Priority Mail now has free insurance coverage so your sender and you should check on this also.

I believe you are supposed to contact someone if your passport is missing - lost or stolen - so you should check into that also.

May 8, 2016 Flag

I had ordered from the Kylie constructs website almost 2 months ago. Still no delivery. Yes they do ship to India. It is coming from USPS and the tracking number starts with LN. Many people from Bombay Delhi have already received their packages. I live in Bangalore and it's been beyond the time limit. It's a reputed website and I could track my product till it left the USA. Is there a chance of it being misplaced?

Hi - I am sorry you have not received your package.

It appears it was tracked by the USPS service until it left the US but the US cannot track it after it leaves our country.

Items still have to go through your customs so it just seems that may be where the hold up is happening.

Are you sure the goods can be sent to your country as I see on our site that many items are restricted due to the content matter.

I know this is difficult for you but you will have to contact whoever handles your mail as no one in the US can help now.

June 18, 2016 Flag

I sent an envelope with a cashier's check to a friend in Newport Beach. I sent it addressed to her work place name and address, with attn: her name. I received the signature card back with an unusual signature (no one at her work place has this name), and when I tracked the envelope it said the sent envelope was received and signed at 6:45am, but my friend's business does not open until 7:45. No one received any envelope at her place of business when she checked. My question is how can an envelope be signed when the place of business that it was addressed to was not open at the time of the signature? There have been complaints with this post office (Newport Beach Ca.) with packages not being delivered, so we suspect an inside theft wiith the postal service. Please respond.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like mail fraud to me. What do you think? It's a federal offense, if I'm not mistaken (i.e., under the jurisdiction of the FBI).

June 7, 2016 Flag

I recently mailed a book to Bookbyte using the prepaid shipping label. However when I track the package through USPS, it says it is still in the city where I tried shipping it and that it has been tendered to a returns agent and will no longer be tracked. What does this mean? My home address was not on the box or label so where is my package? The Bookbye website shows that the package is not in transit. How do I get my book back?

You can file a claim with the USPO to search for your package.

April 7, 2016 Flag

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

You say your son bought and printed the label from home.

Did he take the package to the post office counter? Or did he leave it for his regular postman to pick up?

this is very important as it will determine where the package could have gotten "lost".

April 28, 2016 Flag

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

I ship to different foreign countries and sometimes items will be be held up (for weeks) by recipients customs.

Sometimes they can contact (not always easy) the customs office and find out if there is a problem with their item.

Cosmetics cannot be shipped to a lot of countries due to the material content and this may be the case with your purchase. If that is the case, you will never receive your items. Maybe you can check to see if cosmetics are allowed to be shipped to India from the US but I believe most are probably prohibited.

January 16, 2014 Flag

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

Best Answer

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule. Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

March 23, 2015 Flag

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Coretta

You should contact the company you used to send the packages-USPO, UPS, Fed Ex, etc., to locate the packages.

February 22, 2015 Flag

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

A postal Kiosk is similar to a branch of the postal service except they will also package your items but offer the same services as a regular post office. A postal employee picks up from Kiosks everyday and delivers them to a local post office for shipping.

I do not believe that "luck" has anything to do with how many packages are either lost or delivered. Usually the problem with a package being "lost" has to do with the way the sender either packaged poorly or addressed incorrectly.

Oh yes, we all hear about postal employees "stealing" letters, money, packages etc but very rarely read about the thousands and thousands that are correctly delivered everyday.

How long ago did you mail your package?

How far did it have to travel?

US to US or to foreign country?

A large or small package?

Valuable - insured?

Mailed to the correct address? Legible writing?

You can appeal to the Postal Service Customer Service in Washington, DC for help if the package does not arrive in a reasonable time. Write a letter with all particulars and they WILL answer your letter and tell you all they may be able to do to help you find your package.

Is a Kiosk safe?

Generally I would think so and have never heard otherwise - but - remember this - you are NOT originally dealing with a government company/employee so they are not really under the same laws/rules as postal workers. Cost is usually higher at a Kiosk but may be more convenient and closer (save gas?).

I would recommend that you insure items when using a Kiosk and anytime you are shipping something of value. Also, tracking has increased in cost but is well worth the money as you can follow your package from pick-up to delivery.

Internet/On line shipping is a good value (costs less) - ( as the tracking is usually free with Priority Mail or First Class and you can print your label and tape it on your package for your post person to pick up.

February 19, 2015 Flag

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

You can at least report it to the post office to alert them of possible wrong doing on the part of a carrier. I did it a few times myself.

March 29, 2016 Flag

My boyfriend sent me my broken phone back in the mail, but I never got it. I don't have a tracking number. How will I be able to track it down? They said it would take 2 -3 days, but it's been a week. What should I do?

Load More
Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 1, 2013
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
weighing postage
Finding Postage Rates Online
Post-It Notes
Making a Post-It Note Holder
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair