Browsing: Post Office Lost a Package

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Post Office Lost a Package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

lost package
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 18, 2016 Flag

My sister sent a priority mail containing an international passport to me from another state. We tracked it and showed that it was scanned into my mail box, but I didn't find it in my box. I've complained to the USPS, they promised to investigate, but I've yet to hear any positive news about it from them.
Please what steps can be taken to get the mail because it takes a fortune to replace the passport.
Regards.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is possibly lost in the delivery process, or more likely, someone may have realized there was a passport inside and stole the letter-from your box or along the delivery process. If your sister did not insure the letter or package (should have!), you may not recover your investment.

Have you had problems with your mail service before?

Did you try to question the carrier as they may remember something - but I would not count on it.

Is this a regular box by the street or an apartment?

Did you also ask Neighbors ?

I am sure you have already done most of this but just in case ....

Try your local postmaster again as repeated inquires may help get more attention. A personal visit is better and you can also try the customer service division in Washington - get the information about who to contact on Google.

Also, most Priority Mail now has free insurance coverage so your sender and you should check on this also.

I believe you are supposed to contact someone if your passport is missing - lost or stolen - so you should check into that also.

June 18, 2016 Flag

I sent an envelope with a cashier's check to a friend in Newport Beach. I sent it addressed to her work place name and address, with attn: her name. I received the signature card back with an unusual signature (no one at her work place has this name), and when I tracked the envelope it said the sent envelope was received and signed at 6:45am, but my friend's business does not open until 7:45. No one received any envelope at her place of business when she checked. My question is how can an envelope be signed when the place of business that it was addressed to was not open at the time of the signature? There have been complaints with this post office (Newport Beach Ca.) with packages not being delivered, so we suspect an inside theft wiith the postal service. Please respond.

Sounds like mail fraud to me. What do you think? It's a federal offense, if I'm not mistaken (i.e., under the jurisdiction of the FBI).

You can file a claim at the USPO to follow up on the letter itself and your suspicion of theft.

May 8, 2016 Flag

I had ordered from the Kylie constructs website almost 2 months ago. Still no delivery. Yes they do ship to India. It is coming from USPS and the tracking number starts with LN. Many people from Bombay Delhi have already received their packages. I live in Bangalore and it's been beyond the time limit. It's a reputed website and I could track my product till it left the USA. Is there a chance of it being misplaced?

Hey! It is coming from ordinary post so the postal people said this cannot be tracked. It's been 2 months, my friends recieved it in 15-20 days. PLEASE HELP

Hi - I am sorry you have not received your package.

It appears it was tracked by the USPS service until it left the US but the US cannot track it after it leaves our country.

Items still have to go through your customs so it just seems that may be where the hold up is happening.

Are you sure the goods can be sent to your country as I see on our site that many items are restricted due to the content matter.

I know this is difficult for you but you will have to contact whoever handles your mail as no one in the US can help now.

June 7, 2016 Flag

I recently mailed a book to Bookbyte using the prepaid shipping label. However when I track the package through USPS, it says it is still in the city where I tried shipping it and that it has been tendered to a returns agent and will no longer be tracked. What does this mean? My home address was not on the box or label so where is my package? The Bookbye website shows that the package is not in transit. How do I get my book back?

You can file a claim with the USPO to search for your package.

I mailed a package via USPS on March 4th to my girlfriend in Pangantucan, Philliphines and has been 4 months now

The Post Office I mailed it from says last known place of it's origin was in Chicago stuck in customs back in March for 17 days and Post Office is saying that tracking number isn't good anymore once package leaves the United States..so how do I track this package please?

April 7, 2016 Flag

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

You say your son bought and printed the label from home.

Did he take the package to the post office counter? Or did he leave it for his regular postman to pick up?

this is very important as it will determine where the package could have gotten "lost".

I apologize for part of my question as I missed the last part of your question ( dropped off at post office).

Actually, it is very difficult to steal an item at a large post office; letters may be easier, but still difficult.

I can only suggest that anyone printing labels at home should try to have them scanned in at the post office when they are dropped off. Some people say the post office gives them a hard time when they ask them to scan a package but fortunately, I have not had that problem.

You can write a letter to the Postal Service in Washington, DC and someone will respond to your questions. Check for the address on the Internet. I believe they have several departments listed - anyone will do as it will be forwarded to the correct department.

Good luck and I hope you can find it.

I print labels at home and my postman picks them up daily (and scans them in) but I have to be careful where I leave items to be picked up.

April 28, 2016 Flag

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

I ship to different foreign countries and sometimes items will be be held up (for weeks) by recipients customs.

Sometimes they can contact (not always easy) the customs office and find out if there is a problem with their item.

Cosmetics cannot be shipped to a lot of countries due to the material content and this may be the case with your purchase. If that is the case, you will never receive your items. Maybe you can check to see if cosmetics are allowed to be shipped to India from the US but I believe most are probably prohibited.

My parcel was sent from USPS to India and its been 20 days now i haven't recieved it. Any idea how to get it?

January 16, 2014 Flag

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive.

March 23, 2015 Flag

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

Load More
Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 1, 2013
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
weighing postage
Finding Postage Rates Online
Post-It Notes
Making a Post-It Note Holder
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:26:50 AM on 10.0.1.17 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.