Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Post Office Lost a Package

0 0EmailFollow
lost package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

Here are questions related to Post Office Lost a Package.

Question: Postal Parcel Hasn't Arrived

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

Best Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/16/2014

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule. Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

Question: Help With a Lost USPS Package

I sent out the package on 2/28/11, but today is 3/29/11 and my friend still did not receive it yet? I filed a complaint to USPS. They said that there is nothing they can do, because the package was out using flat rate first class. They didn't sell me the insurance and confirmation for tracking. What should I do?

By yoyo from CA

Most Recent Answer

By jams01/19/2013

This company is the worst. Try a different company.

Question: Package Lost By Post Office

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [8]02/24/2015

Just to clarify something, here, the kiosk is USPS and subject to all USPS rules and regulations. Packages are sometimes lost through USPS no matter what location you use. That is why it's a good idea to use tracking or insurance if it's anything of value.

Question: Card Lost in the Mail

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [8]04/24/2015

I wouldn't report the mail carrier. The card may have never gotten as far as the carrier. Why would you want to make trouble for a probably innocent, hard working person?

Besides the fact that it would be impossible to prove a carrier took the money. In the future, let people in your family know, if they don't already, that sending cash in the mail is a bad idea.

Question: Post Office Lost Package

I sent a small Flat Rate box to someone in California on 4/16. I dropped it like I always have in the drop box inside the post office. As of today 4/30 the post office still hasn't scanned the package. I went back to the post office and they weren't helpful. The supervisor was "surprised" the package hasn't been scanned and they said they didn't have it. What do I do?

Long story short I have someone who sends me beads to make up and I send them back to her. She has never asked me to insure it for a certain amount, but I insure for $30.00. When she called me about not receiving the package she was upset saying it was worth more. I need to find this package. Any ideas?

By Marie S.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]05/08/2013

Hi - I hope your package has been delivered but in case it has not - here are some questions/comments.
It appears that you are printing on line as you say that you "dropped" it in the drop at the post office.

If that is the case then you have good records of printing the label but unfortunately you do not have a record of the package ever reaching the post office.
This always presents a problem as your insurance may not cover this parcel at all. How could the post office pay insurance if they have no record of the package ever being in their system? (That could be a recipe for many, many scams of the post office system.)

Truthfully, the post office does not lose very much mail especially considering the amount that passes through their system each day.

Maybe you could try letting your postman pick up your packages in the future?
Your carrier will scan your package when he picks it up and you can check on your item the same evening or next day. This works great for me - I just place packages on my porch and leave my carrier a note as to where packages are located. Never had a problem in over 3 years.
This may not be possible everywhere but why not give it a try? If there is problem with this then you can call for a pickup (24 hour notice I think). They will pick up even one package if it is priority mail. But - carrier is still best idea if possible.
I hope you have good luck with this one but maybe try something better in the future.
Good luck..

Question: The Post Office Lost My Package

I sent 2.5 oz of pure .9999 gold in a cash4gold envelop. It had delivery conformation on it, and I told the postal employee that I did not feel comfortable dropping it in a mail box. I told the clerk that it was $4,000 worth of gold and he offered me insurance that I could not afford at the time.

The tracking number shows that the package was accepted at the Woburn, MA facility on August 30th at 10:49 am and that is the last update. The worst thing is the gold is my father in-law's. What can I do? I started a claim and that doesn't sound too promising at this point.

By Sam

Most Recent Answer

By Noella [9]09/20/2011

Have him go to the post office where it was delivered. It is possible that the envelope was damaged and the contents were separated. Being that it was gold it's possible that it was taken by an employee, janitor, etc. But most post offices keep envelopes and boxes full of damaged mail and its contents. A few months ago I received an empty envelope and when I went to the post office, they were able to find most of the contents. You might also fill out a police report, though I don't know if it would do any good.

Question: Mail Not Received Yet

I was suppose to receive a check from one of my friend in Texas. I live in New Jersey. It was delivered on 18/12/2014. I have not received it yet. I don't have a tracking number. Is it delayed because of Christmas and holidays? Please help.

By devweb

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud [422]01/06/2015

You say it was delivered but that means you got it. Did you mean it was sent? I can't imagine it taking this long so I would call the person who sent it and make sure it was not returned. Then, if you both can, set up a paypal account. You can get money in seconds that is like a debit card, spendable in every store in the USA... Hope that helps!

Question: Late Mail Delivery

A friend of mine send me the check on the 18th of Dec 2014 from Texas, to my address in New Jersey. However I have not received it yet. It's been around 14 days now. Is it because of Christmas and the holidays?

By Shashi N.

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]01/04/2015

Ask your friend to send you another, and to stop payment on the first one. However, are you sure your friend did send it when she said she did?

Question: How Do I File a Complaint with the Post Office?

How do I file a "complaint of negligence" with the US post office for a priority mail box that I mailed on May 5, 2010, to Boulder, CO? It has never been received or returned. I did file a lost package claim form, but have heard nothing.

By JoAnn from Etters, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J [46]06/17/2010

There is a district dead letter office. Ask for that. And then stay consistant with them daily on the phone. Ask for the head person each time. Local postal is the POSTMASTER. Make him answer for it.

Question: Post Office Hasn't Delivered Package Yet

I sent it on 3/30 and they said it would arrive at its destination on 4/3. It is now 4/9 and still no package. Tracking it says it has been sitting in New Jersey since 4/3. What can I do? I cannot get anyone on the phone to help. This is crazy!

By Charlene from Tinley Park, IL

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]04/11/2015

I agree with the other responder that a personal visit will get more attention.
Also, has the recipient stated the package has not been delivered? I ask this as sometimes parcels are delivered but final scan was not made (showing delivery).

Was parcel sent Priority Mail? If so, you will/should have some USPS insurance included (no extra payment).

Question: Tracking Lost Packages

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Coretta

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]03/23/2015

My error-you should contact the sender of the packages.

Question: Post Office Has Not Delivered International Package

I sent a package on January 29, 2015 to a friend who lives in Uruguay. I'm from New Jersey. This is the first time I've sent anything through the post office and well it might as well be the last since it's already March 13, 2015 and he still hasn't gotten it. It does have tracking and it says that it departed Montevideo, Uruguay. Does that mean it's being sent back to me? Cause it's been stuck like that since the 7th of February and I have no idea where it is now. I apparently bought insurance without realizing and it's a large flat rate box. What should I do?

By Kim

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]03/15/2015

Has your friend checked with their local post office? Or customs?
Most likely they are the ones that will have to do the checking.

US postal service insurance does not always cover nondelivery to a foreign country. It has been long enough that your post office may place a tracer on your package.

Question: Post Office Lost a Package

I have had nothing but problems with the post office in Oakland California.
The priority package departs Oakland, but never reaches Florida. Can somebody help me?

By S

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]03/14/2015

I hope the package was just delayed and has now been delivered. I mail a lot of packages and have never had a parcel go "missing" but I feel sure that - once in a blue moon - it could happen.

Only the original post office can help you and talking in person is always better than using the telephone.

If the parcel has not been delivered and your post office will not help you, then you can write to the post office customer service advocate in Washington, DC and they will usually investigate it for you.
You can obtain the address through Google.

Always think about how far a package has to travel and maybe how many times it will be handled and pack accordingly. If fragile, over pack, and insure anything that may break or is valuable to you. I always use tracking as you can follow the package from your post office to delivery - everything cost extra money but this is a service that is well worth the cost.

Question: Post Office Lost Package

I shipped a package from New Jersey to Minnesota. When the package was picked up the carrier never scanned it. So now the post office is telling me it was not picked up. Now for the twist, two package were sent to the same person at the same time. I have video surveillance that shows the post man with the two packages never being scanned. One package was delivered and one is lost. Now what do I do?

By mad about usps

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]02/07/2015

The truth is - without proof of pick-up there is very little you can do - even if you purchased insurance. Have you placed a written complaint with your postmaster and/or with the postal service advocate in Washington, DC?

Only a written complaint has to be answered - not even email has the power of a written complaint. Do you have any way to show your local postmaster the "photo" of the postman with your 2 packages w/date and your house?

Question: Tracking a Package Sent USPS

Approximately 15 May 2013 we sent a package back to the merchant by USPS. On July 22 the merchant said he did not receive package. We have since lost or threw away our tracking receipt. Can USPS history show if a package was delivered without a tracking number?

By Randy

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/26/2013

Hi - this is a tricky question but - here goes.

Did you actually pay for tracking? or for delivery confirmation? Is this the receipt you are talking about?

You can call customer services with the USPS (not local) but you will need the actual date shipped, the sender and recipient information, the post office where shipped and time of day may even help. Explain how important this information is because the recipient is claiming they did not receive it.

If you did not purchase tracking information then you are out of luck - most likely. You can Google the telephone number for customer services. There is also a number for USPS advocate.

Question: Package Lost by the Post Office

What can I do to locate my lost package? The PO say I am out of time to lodge a complaint. The delay has been due to illness and I have medical evidence to prove this.

By Jao from South Norwood, London

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]05/20/2013

If you're talking about the Royal Mail, the best chance you have for sorting this (although with the Royal Mail, bless them, it's not a very good chance this will work) is to take your proof of medical incapacitation and any tracking numbers, etc, to the local post office and ask to speak with a supervisor.

The most important thing to remember when asking a postie to go the extra mile is to stay calm and keep repeating you know you are asking a lot and are so grateful for all the hard work they do with so little appreciation. Don't go 'overboard' but being extra nice when asking a postie for anything seems to work a lot of the time.

Plan to make your visit during a not-so-busy time for the counter clerks, and don't go anywhere near the post office with a special request too close to tea-time. I learned that one the hard way:(

I live in Scotland and have come to understand sometimes this works when dealing with 'special requests' to the Royal Mail. Not always, but with your medical paperwork and an extra helping of niceness it's possible your local will help you out.

Question: USPS Can Not Find Tracking Number

A package from Pakistan was mailed on March 8th, 2015. I have a tracking number, but the USPS website says "tracking not found". Is it possible that the package will arrive even though it has that status? It was sent by registered mail.
Now it's over 30 days. Any ideas?

By Kim G.

Most Recent Answer

By gem [150]04/12/2015

I had this happen to me but I got my package. I called the post office and they said some places don't scan the number and it looks like it is still there but not necessarily. Since they do not always scan them it could have gone on to the next station. Hopefully this is true in your case and the package will be delivered shortly.

Question: USPS Delivered Package to Wrong Address

I received notification from a vendor that the package I had ordered had been delivered. When I used the tracking information, it said that the package had been delivered to my address. Since I did not actually receive the package I went to the post office thinking that maybe it was still there. The manager told me that their information shows that the carrier scanned the package as delivered and there was nothing more they could do. What recourse do I have?

By Ila F.

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [8]01/28/2015

If the package was from Amazon, you can probably get a replacement for free if you open an online chat with their customer service. If a different vendor, maybe not, but it probably won't hurt to explain to them what happened. They may be able to do something. It may partly depend on how long you've been a customer.

Question: Lost Shipment

I shipped a package to an Ohio address, I was able to track the package to the post office in Memphis, Tennessee on December 14, 2014. The only additional information is "package is in progress". Where is the package now, 5 weeks later? The purchaser said they never received the package and want a refund. I need to know where the package is! What do I do next?

By Ellen H.

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [8]01/26/2015

Directly contact that post office in Tennessee. Use directory information or the internet to find the number.

Question: Package Not Received

My friend has sent me a parcel from the US to India through USPS first class mail on 01/12/2015. The tracking number is LK062750123US. I haven't received the parcel yet. I tried tracking the parcel in http://ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ipswebtracking/ website but no use. Please help. What else can I do?

By Radhakrishnan K

Most Recent Answer

By Amy Singh [3]01/25/2015

I just was able to track that package through https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=LK062750123US

Question: USPS Lost My Parcel

A parcel was sent to me from abroad. At the time it was delivered, I was not home and I found the delivery notice in my mail box. When I went to my local USPS office, they said that they are unable to find it! What should I do?

By Pichi G

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]11/24/2013

If you have a "delivery" slip from your post office then you should talk to your post master and strongly "insist" they find the parcel or tell you what happened to it. Do not relinquish your slip as that is the only proof that a parcel ever arrived.

If no good comes from this then you should write to the postal inspection service. Obtain the address from your post master. You should also try to find out exactly what the package contained and the value.

Question: Receiving a Package Misrouted by Royal Mail

My sister sent a recorded track and sign parcel on November 21st from the Post Office to South Korea. I tracked it and it said it was headed to India. I called Royal Mail and the clerk insisted that it was on a transit flight.

I was intially sceptical but the clerk sounded confident. I checked a few days later and the parcel has been processed in Mumbai ready to be delivered. It's been in Mumbai since 24th of November 2014. It's December 4th now and all I can do is sit and wait for the post office, in Mumbai to forward my parcel. Although something tells me they have no intention of doing that.

My question is, has anyone experienced anything similar, and have received their parcels in the end? I've called the post office in Mumbai, but they either can't speak English or refused to pick up the phone. It's all really frustrating and I'm really anxious about being so helpless.

By Echo

Question: Tracking a Lost Package

So, I sent a package from Leeds to London second class on 22/11/14 and the buyer claims it has not been delivered. I have a receipt, but no tracking number. What are my options?

By Claire S

Question: USPS Delivered Parcel to Wrong Address

Why doesn't USPS deliver parcel to the right address? It was sent to me by seller with tracking, but the Post Office sent my parcel to another city with a completely different address.

By Patty

Question: Tracking a Missing Parcel

I had sent a parcel on 26/02/2013 from Asansol head post office to USA, but the parcel has not yet been traced as to where it is lying. It's over 3 months now. Please suggest what I can do?

By P.Sinha

Question: Finding a Lost USPS Package

I had a package send to me by USPS Priority mail. He lost the confirmation number; I have tried everything to find it. Can you help me?

By Robert from Santee, SC

Solutions: Post Office Lost a Package

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!