Post Office Lost a Package

lost package
Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

On December 12 of 2016 I sent a brand new laptop to my mom on the Virgin Islands and the postal office told me that it was going to arrive in two weeks. I never had problems with anything I shipped before so I didn't get insurance for it. Almost a month later she told me that it didn't arrive. I lost the receipt. About a week later I got an envelope with part of the box (where the tracking number is) and an application for refund of fees, products, and withdrawal of customer accounts. I checked the tracking number and it shows this:

December 14, 2016 , 12:22 am
In Transit to Destination
The item is currently in transit to the destination as of December 14, 2016 at 12:22 am.

December 13, 2016 , 4:03 am
Departed USPS Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 13, 2016 , 12:22 am
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 12, 2016, 2:11 pm
Acceptance

Is there anyway that I can get it back or get the money back?

Yes, they did cut the top part of the box and send it back to me. I think someone did in fact stole it because they probably new what it was.

I had to ship it through ground rate because of it being a laptop so they put a sticker on the box saying that it cannot be sent in a plane, I'll go to the police station and see if they can help me

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

Best Answer

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule. Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

My friend from South Carolina (USA) sent a package on October 20th consisting of an iPhone. He sent me a reference number (Customs#), using that we are unable to track it online (in USPS and in IPS). My friend spoke with Customs in Miami, they said the package left the USA and indeed they also were unable to track it. I'm little worried, whether the package will reach India and get to my place, or it will be lost on the way to India. Since it's been more than 2 months and I'm unable to track it anywhere (with Customs in India and local Post Office). Kindly assist on how to find or track the package, your reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous

Thank you, but for my bad it was sent thru firstclass mail and was not insured :'( I spoke to customs in India and visited main post office, the final answer i got is that at these both places they were unable to track it.

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Coretta

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My error-you should contact the sender of the packages.

I sent out the package on 2/28/11, but today is 3/29/11 and my friend still did not receive it yet? I filed a complaint to USPS. They said that there is nothing they can do, because the package was out using flat rate first class. They didn't sell me the insurance and confirmation for tracking. What should I do?

By yoyo from CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

This company is the worst. Try a different company.

My sister sent a priority mail containing an international passport to me from another state. We tracked it and showed that it was scanned into my mail box, but I didn't find it in my box. I've complained to the USPS, they promised to investigate, but I've yet to hear any positive news about it from them.
Please what steps can be taken to get the mail because it takes a fortune to replace the passport.
Regards.

My friend sent me a card in the mail last Friday morning and it still did not get to me. I check with my post office and the said the mail went out for the day in my area and I still did not get it. What do I do not

I had ordered from the Kylie constructs website almost 2 months ago. Still no delivery. Yes they do ship to India. It is coming from USPS and the tracking number starts with LN. Many people from Bombay Delhi have already received their packages. I live in Bangalore and it's been beyond the time limit. It's a reputed website and I could track my product till it left the USA. Is there a chance of it being misplaced?

Hi,

Did you finally receive your package? I am in the same situation. COuld you please tell me if you have received it and what procedure did you follow to finally get it?

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

Just to clarify something, here, the kiosk is USPS and subject to all USPS rules and regulations. Packages are sometimes lost through USPS no matter what location you use. That is why it's a good idea to use tracking or insurance if it's anything of value.

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

I wouldn't report the mail carrier. The card may have never gotten as far as the carrier. Why would you want to make trouble for a probably innocent, hard working person?

Besides the fact that it would be impossible to prove a carrier took the money. In the future, let people in your family know, if they don't already, that sending cash in the mail is a bad idea.

I sent a small Flat Rate box to someone in California on 4/16. I dropped it like I always have in the drop box inside the post office. As of today 4/30 the post office still hasn't scanned the package. I went back to the post office and they weren't helpful. The supervisor was "surprised" the package hasn't been scanned and they said they didn't have it. What do I do?

Long story short I have someone who sends me beads to make up and I send them back to her. She has never asked me to insure it for a certain amount, but I insure for $30.00. When she called me about not receiving the package she was upset saying it was worth more. I need to find this package. Any ideas?

By Marie S.

Hi - I hope your package has been delivered but in case it has not - here are some questions/comments.

It appears that you are printing on line as you say that you "dropped" it in the drop at the post office.

If that is the case then you have good records of printing the label but unfortunately you do not have a record of the package ever reaching the post office.

This always presents a problem as your insurance may not cover this parcel at all. How could the post office pay insurance if they have no record of the package ever being in their system? (That could be a recipe for many, many scams of the post office system.)

Truthfully, the post office does not lose very much mail especially considering the amount that passes through their system each day.

Maybe you could try letting your postman pick up your packages in the future?

Your carrier will scan your package when he picks it up and you can check on your item the same evening or next day. This works great for me - I just place packages on my porch and leave my carrier a note as to where packages are located. Never had a problem in over 3 years.

This may not be possible everywhere but why not give it a try? If there is problem with this then you can call for a pickup (24 hour notice I think). They will pick up even one package if it is priority mail. But - carrier is still best idea if possible.

I hope you have good luck with this one but maybe try something better in the future.

Good luck..

I sent 2.5 oz of pure .9999 gold in a cash4gold envelop. It had delivery conformation on it, and I told the postal employee that I did not feel comfortable dropping it in a mail box. I told the clerk that it was $4,000 worth of gold and he offered me insurance that I could not afford at the time.

The tracking number shows that the package was accepted at the Woburn, MA facility on August 30th at 10:49 am and that is the last update. The worst thing is the gold is my father in-law's. What can I do? I started a claim and that doesn't sound too promising at this point.

By Sam

Have him go to the post office where it was delivered. It is possible that the envelope was damaged and the contents were separated. Being that it was gold it's possible that it was taken by an employee, janitor, etc. But most post offices keep envelopes and boxes full of damaged mail and its contents. A few months ago I received an empty envelope and when I went to the post office, they were able to find most of the contents. You might also fill out a police report, though I don't know if it would do any good.

I sent a Kindle by Parcel Select through the U. S Postal Service, July 21 with a return label and tracking label. They have not received the Kindle and are now trying to charge me. What can I do?

By Philip

Hi.. Parcel select is the slow boat method. It hasn't had full time to get there. Give it a good two weeks. Hope this helps. Cindy

I made an online purchase from the US using USPS first class mail. The package was dispatched from Chicago on the 23rd of September 2016 and is still not delivered after 40 days. The tracking number only works till it leaves the US. I inquired and found that the package cannot be tracked in India. What can I do to find the package? It's a small package valued at $33 dollars and it does not contain any prohibited items. Has anybody faced this issue before? and did they get there package finally? or shall I assume it to be lost for ever?

Did u got i also awaiting for delivery its been more than 15 days no confirmation

My friend from Oregon, USA sent me a gift through USPS. The package was sent to me on April 26,2016. The company said that the package would be delivered to me in 5-10 days, but as of now it has not been delivered. How can I get the package?

I try to use a BOL template and a packing slip. I am working on a App to tie them all together as a virtual reference to what I ship. See Baergistic.com if interested in the app, or the process.

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

Hi,

I am from Bangalore

I am facing the same issue.

Did you ever receive your package?

How many days did it take?

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

I apologize for part of my question as I missed the last part of your question ( dropped off at post office).

Actually, it is very difficult to steal an item at a large post office; letters may be easier, but still difficult.

I can only suggest that anyone printing labels at home should try to have them scanned in at the post office when they are dropped off. Some people say the post office gives them a hard time when they ask them to scan a package but fortunately, I have not had that problem.

You can write a letter to the Postal Service in Washington, DC and someone will respond to your questions. Check for the address on the Internet. I believe they have several departments listed - anyone will do as it will be forwarded to the correct department.

Good luck and I hope you can find it.

I print labels at home and my postman picks them up daily (and scans them in) but I have to be careful where I leave items to be picked up.

I was suppose to receive a check from one of my friend in Texas. I live in New Jersey. It was delivered on 18/12/2014. I have not received it yet. I don't have a tracking number. Is it delayed because of Christmas and holidays? Please help.

By devweb

You say it was delivered but that means you got it. Did you mean it was sent? I can't imagine it taking this long so I would call the person who sent it and make sure it was not returned. Then, if you both can, set up a paypal account. You can get money in seconds that is like a debit card, spendable in every store in the USA... Hope that helps!

A friend of mine send me the check on the 18th of Dec 2014 from Texas, to my address in New Jersey. However I have not received it yet. It's been around 14 days now. Is it because of Christmas and the holidays?

By Shashi N.

Ask your friend to send you another, and to stop payment on the first one. However, are you sure your friend did send it when she said she did?

How do I file a "complaint of negligence" with the US post office for a priority mail box that I mailed on May 5, 2010, to Boulder, CO? It has never been received or returned. I did file a lost package claim form, but have heard nothing.

By JoAnn from Etters, PA

There is a district dead letter office. Ask for that. And then stay consistant with them daily on the phone. Ask for the head person each time. Local postal is the POSTMASTER. Make him answer for it.

I sent an envelope with a cashier's check to a friend in Newport Beach. I sent it addressed to her work place name and address, with attn: her name. I received the signature card back with an unusual signature (no one at her work place has this name), and when I tracked the envelope it said the sent envelope was received and signed at 6:45am, but my friend's business does not open until 7:45. No one received any envelope at her place of business when she checked. My question is how can an envelope be signed when the place of business that it was addressed to was not open at the time of the signature? There have been complaints with this post office (Newport Beach Ca.) with packages not being delivered, so we suspect an inside theft wiith the postal service. Please respond.

You can file a claim at the USPO to follow up on the letter itself and your suspicion of theft.

I recently mailed a book to Bookbyte using the prepaid shipping label. However when I track the package through USPS, it says it is still in the city where I tried shipping it and that it has been tendered to a returns agent and will no longer be tracked. What does this mean? My home address was not on the box or label so where is my package? The Bookbye website shows that the package is not in transit. How do I get my book back?

I mailed a package via USPS on March 4th to my girlfriend in Pangantucan, Philliphines and has been 4 months now

The Post Office I mailed it from says last known place of it's origin was in Chicago stuck in customs back in March for 17 days and Post Office is saying that tracking number isn't good anymore once package leaves the United States..so how do I track this package please?

I lost my reciept from the Post Office now the business I sent the package to says they never got it. What recourse do I have proving I sent it back so I can get my money back?

Your receipt is the proof you sent the package. If the package is valuable, you also have the option to buy insurance.

If you remember the date you sent the package you may be able to use that and your name to track the package. I'm not sure this would work. Go to the local post office where you sent it and ask.

I sent it on 3/30 and they said it would arrive at its destination on 4/3. It is now 4/9 and still no package. Tracking it says it has been sitting in New Jersey since 4/3. What can I do? I cannot get anyone on the phone to help. This is crazy!

By Charlene from Tinley Park, IL

I agree with the other responder that a personal visit will get more attention.

Also, has the recipient stated the package has not been delivered? I ask this as sometimes parcels are delivered but final scan was not made (showing delivery).

Was parcel sent Priority Mail? If so, you will/should have some USPS insurance included (no extra payment).

I sent a package on January 29, 2015 to a friend who lives in Uruguay. I'm from New Jersey. This is the first time I've sent anything through the post office and well it might as well be the last since it's already March 13, 2015 and he still hasn't gotten it. It does have tracking and it says that it departed Montevideo, Uruguay. Does that mean it's being sent back to me? Cause it's been stuck like that since the 7th of February and I have no idea where it is now. I apparently bought insurance without realizing and it's a large flat rate box. What should I do?

By Kim

Has your friend checked with their local post office? Or customs?

Most likely they are the ones that will have to do the checking.

US postal service insurance does not always cover nondelivery to a foreign country. It has been long enough that your post office may place a tracer on your package.

I have had nothing but problems with the post office in Oakland California.The priority package departs Oakland, but never reaches Florida. Can somebody help me?

I shipped a package from New Jersey to Minnesota. When the package was picked up the carrier never scanned it. So now the post office is telling me it was not picked up. Now for the twist, two package were sent to the same person at the same time.

Load More