Post Office Lost a Package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

lost package
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I ship to different foreign countries and sometimes items will be be held up (for weeks) by recipients customs.

Sometimes they can contact (not always easy) the customs office and find out if there is a problem with their item.

Cosmetics cannot be shipped to a lot of countries due to the material content and this may be the case with your purchase. If that is the case, you will never receive your items. Maybe you can check to see if cosmetics are allowed to be shipped to India from the US but I believe most are probably prohibited.

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I apologize for part of my question as I missed the last part of your question ( dropped off at post office).

Actually, it is very difficult to steal an item at a large post office; letters may be easier, but still difficult.

I can only suggest that anyone printing labels at home should try to have them scanned in at the post office when they are dropped off. Some people say the post office gives them a hard time when they ask them to scan a package but fortunately, I have not had that problem.

You can write a letter to the Postal Service in Washington, DC and someone will respond to your questions. Check for the address on the Internet. I believe they have several departments listed - anyone will do as it will be forwarded to the correct department.

Good luck and I hope you can find it.

I print labels at home and my postman picks them up daily (and scans them in) but I have to be careful where I leave items to be picked up.

Read More Answers...

My boyfriend sent me my broken phone back in the mail, but I never got it. I don't have a tracking number. How will I be able to track it down? They said it would take 2 -3 days, but it's been a week. What should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can file a claim with the USPO but, without a tracking number, it will be difficult to find your package.

I lost my reciept from the Post Office now the business I sent the package to says they never got it. What recourse do I have proving I sent it back so I can get my money back?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your receipt is the proof you sent the package. If the package is valuable, you also have the option to buy insurance.

If you remember the date you sent the package you may be able to use that and your name to track the package. I'm not sure this would work. Go to the local post office where you sent it and ask.

Read More Answers...

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
          Best Answer

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule. Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

Read More Answers...

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just to clarify something, here, the kiosk is USPS and subject to all USPS rules and regulations. Packages are sometimes lost through USPS no matter what location you use. That is why it's a good idea to use tracking or insurance if it's anything of value.

Read More Answers...

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I wouldn't report the mail carrier. The card may have never gotten as far as the carrier. Why would you want to make trouble for a probably innocent, hard working person?

Besides the fact that it would be impossible to prove a carrier took the money. In the future, let people in your family know, if they don't already, that sending cash in the mail is a bad idea.

Read More Answers...

I was suppose to receive a check from one of my friend in Texas. I live in New Jersey. It was delivered on 18/12/2014. I have not received it yet. I don't have a tracking number. Is it delayed because of Christmas and holidays? Please help.

By devweb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You say it was delivered but that means you got it. Did you mean it was sent? I can't imagine it taking this long so I would call the person who sent it and make sure it was not returned. Then, if you both can, set up a paypal account. You can get money in seconds that is like a debit card, spendable in every store in the USA... Hope that helps!

Read More Answers...

A friend of mine send me the check on the 18th of Dec 2014 from Texas, to my address in New Jersey. However I have not received it yet. It's been around 14 days now. Is it because of Christmas and the holidays?

By Shashi N.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ask your friend to send you another, and to stop payment on the first one. However, are you sure your friend did send it when she said she did?

Read More Answers...

I sent it on 3/30 and they said it would arrive at its destination on 4/3. It is now 4/9 and still no package. Tracking it says it has been sitting in New Jersey since 4/3. What can I do? I cannot get anyone on the phone to help. This is crazy!

By Charlene from Tinley Park, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the other responder that a personal visit will get more attention.

Also, has the recipient stated the package has not been delivered? I ask this as sometimes parcels are delivered but final scan was not made (showing delivery).

Was parcel sent Priority Mail? If so, you will/should have some USPS insurance included (no extra payment).

Read More Answers...

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Coretta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My error-you should contact the sender of the packages.

Read More Answers...

I sent a package on January 29, 2015 to a friend who lives in Uruguay. I'm from New Jersey. This is the first time I've sent anything through the post office and well it might as well be the last since it's already March 13, 2015 and he still hasn't gotten it. It does have tracking and it says that it departed Montevideo, Uruguay. Does that mean it's being sent back to me? Cause it's been stuck like that since the 7th of February and I have no idea where it is now. I apparently bought insurance without realizing and it's a large flat rate box. What should I do?

By Kim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Has your friend checked with their local post office? Or customs?

Most likely they are the ones that will have to do the checking.

US postal service insurance does not always cover nondelivery to a foreign country. It has been long enough that your post office may place a tracer on your package.

Read More Answers...

I ordered a cosmetic from Korea on July 28th 2015 addressed to Bangalore India. It's been a month and I didn't receive the parcel. Generally it used to come in 20 days. I couldn't track it with the order number they have given me. Can anyone help me on this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Who is "they" who gave you an order number? In the US, one can track orders using order numbers, etc., with the various delivery services, however, tracking orders out of the US is very difficult, to say the least. If you insured your package, you can file a claim for reimbursement. If not, you are probably out of luck.

I have had nothing but problems with the post office in Oakland California.
            The priority package departs Oakland, but never reaches Florida. Can somebody help me?

By S

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I hope the package was just delayed and has now been delivered. I mail a lot of packages and have never had a parcel go "missing" but I feel sure that - once in a blue moon - it could happen.

Only the original post office can help you and talking in person is always better than using the telephone.

If the parcel has not been delivered and your post office will not help you, then you can write to the post office customer service advocate in Washington, DC and they will usually investigate it for you.

You can obtain the address through Google.

Always think about how far a package has to travel and maybe how many times it will be handled and pack accordingly. If fragile, over pack, and insure anything that may break or is valuable to you. I always use tracking as you can follow the package from your post office to delivery - everything cost extra money but this is a service that is well worth the cost.

Read More Answers...

I shipped a package from New Jersey to Minnesota. When the package was picked up the carrier never scanned it. So now the post office is telling me it was not picked up. Now for the twist, two package were sent to the same person at the same time. I have video surveillance that shows the post man with the two packages never being scanned. One package was delivered and one is lost. Now what do I do?

By mad about usps

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The truth is - without proof of pick-up there is very little you can do - even if you purchased insurance. Have you placed a written complaint with your postmaster and/or with the postal service advocate in Washington, DC?

Only a written complaint has to be answered - not even email has the power of a written complaint. Do you have any way to show your local postmaster the "photo" of the postman with your 2 packages w/date and your house?

Read More Answers...

I sent a small Flat Rate box to someone in California on 4/16. I dropped it like I always have in the drop box inside the post office. As of today 4/30 the post office still hasn't scanned the package. I went back to the post office and they weren't helpful. The supervisor was "surprised" the package hasn't been scanned and they said they didn't have it. What do I do?

Long story short I have someone who sends me beads to make up and I send them back to her. She has never asked me to insure it for a certain amount, but I insure for $30.00. When she called me about not receiving the package she was upset saying it was worth more. I need to find this package. Any ideas?

By Marie S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - I hope your package has been delivered but in case it has not - here are some questions/comments.

It appears that you are printing on line as you say that you "dropped" it in the drop at the post office.

If that is the case then you have good records of printing the label but unfortunately you do not have a record of the package ever reaching the post office.

This always presents a problem as your insurance may not cover this parcel at all. How could the post office pay insurance if they have no record of the package ever being in their system? (That could be a recipe for many, many scams of the post office system.)

Truthfully, the post office does not lose very much mail especially considering the amount that passes through their system each day.

Maybe you could try letting your postman pick up your packages in the future?

Your carrier will scan your package when he picks it up and you can check on your item the same evening or next day. This works great for me - I just place packages on my porch and leave my carrier a note as to where packages are located. Never had a problem in over 3 years.

This may not be possible everywhere but why not give it a try? If there is problem with this then you can call for a pickup (24 hour notice I think). They will pick up even one package if it is priority mail. But - carrier is still best idea if possible.

I hope you have good luck with this one but maybe try something better in the future.

Good luck..

Read More Answers...

A package from Pakistan was mailed on March 8th, 2015. I have a tracking number, but the USPS website says "tracking not found". Is it possible that the package will arrive even though it has that status? It was sent by registered mail.Now it's over 30 days.

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Load More
            Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 1, 2013
            Cat Scratching Sisal Post
            Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
            weighing postage
            Finding Postage Rates Online
            Post-It Notes
            Making a Post-It Note Holder
            Office chair with lime green cushions.
            Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:05:08 PM on 10.0.1.167 in 541 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.