Post Office Lost a Package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

On December 12 of 2016 I sent a brand new laptop to my mom on the Virgin Islands and the postal office told me that it was going to arrive in two weeks. I never had problems with anything I shipped before so I didn't get insurance for it. Almost a month later she told me that it didn't arrive. I lost the receipt. About a week later I got an envelope with part of the box (where the tracking number is) and an application for refund of fees, products, and withdrawal of customer accounts. I checked the tracking number and it shows this:

December 14, 2016 , 12:22 am
In Transit to Destination
The item is currently in transit to the destination as of December 14, 2016 at 12:22 am.

December 13, 2016 , 4:03 am
Departed USPS Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 13, 2016 , 12:22 am
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 12, 2016, 2:11 pm
Acceptance

Is there anyway that I can get it back or get the money back?

Thanks it was really helpful, and I do have an electronic receipt for the laptop what I didn't have was the tracking number but now I got that too

My friend from South Carolina (USA) sent a package on October 20th consisting of an iPhone. He sent me a reference number (Customs#), using that we are unable to track it online (in USPS and in IPS). My friend spoke with Customs in Miami, they said the package left the USA and indeed they also were unable to track it. I'm little worried, whether the package will reach India and get to my place, or it will be lost on the way to India. Since it's been more than 2 months and I'm unable to track it anywhere (with Customs in India and local Post Office). Kindly assist on how to find or track the package, your reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous

Yes, I reached to customs over phone and visited main post office here and updated them the situation. The ultimate answer from them is "We are unable to track your package", actually thats a Christmas gift to me :'(

I made an online purchase from the US using USPS first class mail. The package was dispatched from Chicago on the 23rd of September 2016 and is still not delivered after 40 days. The tracking number only works till it leaves the US. I inquired and found that the package cannot be tracked in India. What can I do to find the package? It's a small package valued at $33 dollars and it does not contain any prohibited items. Has anybody faced this issue before? and did they get there package finally? or shall I assume it to be lost for ever?

Hi,

Thank you for the reply

Yes i did check with the customs local postal services and international fleet department

None can help

I am not keeping any more hopes for the package to get delivered.

I had ordered from the Kylie constructs website almost 2 months ago. Still no delivery. Yes they do ship to India. It is coming from USPS and the tracking number starts with LN. Many people from Bombay Delhi have already received their packages. I live in Bangalore and it's been beyond the time limit. It's a reputed website and I could track my product till it left the USA. Is there a chance of it being misplaced?

Hi! Did you ever end up receiving the Kylie usps parcel?

My sister sent a priority mail containing an international passport to me from another state. We tracked it and showed that it was scanned into my mail box, but I didn't find it in my box. I've complained to the USPS, they promised to investigate, but I've yet to hear any positive news about it from them.
Please what steps can be taken to get the mail because it takes a fortune to replace the passport.
Regards.

That's f'd up .I mailed a check via the post office on Sept.16,2016 it never arrived. it was going from west Phila. to Northeast Phila. The postal worker told me it would probably arrive the next day. I had to pay for a stop check and go through some very unnecessary issues. They say they deliver Rain, snow, sleet or hail, that's bull the post office system sucks. I mailed it on a nice sunny day.

My friend from Oregon, USA sent me a gift through USPS. The package was sent to me on April 26,2016. The company said that the package would be delivered to me in 5-10 days, but as of now it has not been delivered. How can I get the package?

First day would be 27th and Sundays do not count....?

Depending on the company they should be able to track it too.

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Coretta

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You should contact the company you used to send the packages-USPO, UPS, Fed Ex, etc., to locate the packages.

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

My parcel was sent from USPS to India and its been 20 days now i haven't recieved it. Any idea how to get it?

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

You say your son bought and printed the label from home.

Did he take the package to the post office counter? Or did he leave it for his regular postman to pick up?

this is very important as it will determine where the package could have gotten "lost".

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

Best Answer

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule. Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

I sent an envelope with a cashier's check to a friend in Newport Beach. I sent it addressed to her work place name and address, with attn: her name. I received the signature card back with an unusual signature (no one at her work place has this name), and when I tracked the envelope it said the sent envelope was received and signed at 6:45am, but my friend's business does not open until 7:45. No one received any envelope at her place of business when she checked. My question is how can an envelope be signed when the place of business that it was addressed to was not open at the time of the signature? There have been complaints with this post office (Newport Beach Ca.) with packages not being delivered, so we suspect an inside theft wiith the postal service. Please respond.

Sounds like mail fraud to me. What do you think? It's a federal offense, if I'm not mistaken (i.e., under the jurisdiction of the FBI).

I recently mailed a book to Bookbyte using the prepaid shipping label. However when I track the package through USPS, it says it is still in the city where I tried shipping it and that it has been tendered to a returns agent and will no longer be tracked. What does this mean? My home address was not on the box or label so where is my package? The Bookbye website shows that the package is not in transit. How do I get my book back?

You can file a claim with the USPO to search for your package.

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

A postal Kiosk is similar to a branch of the postal service except they will also package your items but offer the same services as a regular post office. A postal employee picks up from Kiosks everyday and delivers them to a local post office for shipping.

I do not believe that "luck" has anything to do with how many packages are either lost or delivered. Usually the problem with a package being "lost" has to do with the way the sender either packaged poorly or addressed incorrectly.

Oh yes, we all hear about postal employees "stealing" letters, money, packages etc but very rarely read about the thousands and thousands that are correctly delivered everyday.

Questions:

How long ago did you mail your package?

How far did it have to travel?

US to US or to foreign country?

A large or small package?

Valuable - insured?

Mailed to the correct address? Legible writing?

You can appeal to the Postal Service Customer Service in Washington, DC for help if the package does not arrive in a reasonable time. Write a letter with all particulars and they WILL answer your letter and tell you all they may be able to do to help you find your package.

Is a Kiosk safe?

Generally I would think so and have never heard otherwise - but - remember this - you are NOT originally dealing with a government company/employee so they are not really under the same laws/rules as postal workers. Cost is usually higher at a Kiosk but may be more convenient and closer (save gas?).

I would recommend that you insure items when using a Kiosk and anytime you are shipping something of value. Also, tracking has increased in cost but is well worth the money as you can follow your package from pick-up to delivery.

Internet/On line shipping is a good value (costs less) - (USPS.com) as the tracking is usually free with Priority Mail or First Class and you can print your label and tape it on your package for your post person to pick up.

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

You can at least report it to the post office to alert them of possible wrong doing on the part of a carrier. I did it a few times myself.

I lost my reciept from the Post Office now the business I sent the package to says they never got it. What recourse do I have proving I sent it back so I can get my money back?

Unfortunately, if you cannot prove you sent the package, you are probably out of luck.

My boyfriend sent me my broken phone back in the mail, but I never got it. I don't have a tracking number. How will I be able to track it down? They said it would take 2 -3 days, but it's been a week. What should I do?

You can file a claim with the USPO but, without a tracking number, it will be difficult to find your package.

I was suppose to receive a check from one of my friend in Texas. I live in New Jersey. It was delivered on 18/12/2014. I have not received it yet. I don't have a tracking number. Is it delayed because of Christmas and holidays? Please help.

By devweb

It may have been sent to an incorrect address - in which case it will be returned to sender - or - most likely it was never mailed.

Doesn't the old "cliche" come to mind? "The check is in the mail"...

A friend of mine send me the check on the 18th of Dec 2014 from Texas, to my address in New Jersey. However I have not received it yet. It's been around 14 days now. Is it because of Christmas and the holidays?

By Shashi N.

Delivery should not take more than a few days - so yes the first responder is probably correct.

Fact: out of the millions of pieces of mail handled each year - very few pieces are really lost. Generally the letter - IF mailed - can be "lost" if any part of the address is incorrect. Ask your friend what address they used and if correct, then it is questionable as to whether the check was mailed.

I sent it on 3/30 and they said it would arrive at its destination on 4/3. It is now 4/9 and still no package. Tracking it says it has been sitting in New Jersey since 4/3. What can I do? I cannot get anyone on the phone to help. This is crazy!

By Charlene from Tinley Park, IL

I suggest that you go to the Post Office you mailed the package from (take all the paper info with you) and speak with a supervisor or manager. It is easy to simply not answer the phone but more difficult to avoid a physical body at the counter.

Hope you insured the package.

I sent a package on January 29, 2015 to a friend who lives in Uruguay. I'm from New Jersey. It's already March 13, 2015 and he still hasn't gotten it. It does have tracking and it says that it departed Montevideo, Uruguay. It's been stuck like that since the 7th of February and I have no idea where it is now.

Load More