Post Office Lost a Package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

lost package
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 18, 2016 Flag

I sent an envelope with a cashier's check to a friend in Newport Beach. I sent it addressed to her work place name and address, with attn: her name. I received the signature card back with an unusual signature (no one at her work place has this name), and when I tracked the envelope it said the sent envelope was received and signed at 6:45am, but my friend's business does not open until 7:45. No one received any envelope at her place of business when she checked. My question is how can an envelope be signed when the place of business that it was addressed to was not open at the time of the signature? There have been complaints with this post office (Newport Beach Ca.) with packages not being delivered, so we suspect an inside theft wiith the postal service. Please respond.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can file a claim at the USPO to follow up on the letter itself and your suspicion of theft.

June 7, 2016 Flag

I recently mailed a book to Bookbyte using the prepaid shipping label. However when I track the package through USPS, it says it is still in the city where I tried shipping it and that it has been tendered to a returns agent and will no longer be tracked. What does this mean? My home address was not on the box or label so where is my package? The Bookbye website shows that the package is not in transit. How do I get my book back?

You can file a claim with the USPO to search for your package.

May 8, 2016 Flag

I had ordered from the Kylie constructs website almost 2 months ago. Still no delivery. Yes they do ship to India. It is coming from USPS and the tracking number starts with LN. Many people from Bombay Delhi have already received their packages. I live in Bangalore and it's been beyond the time limit. It's a reputed website and I could track my product till it left the USA. Is there a chance of it being misplaced?

Hi - I am sorry you have not received your package.

It appears it was tracked by the USPS service until it left the US but the US cannot track it after it leaves our country.

Items still have to go through your customs so it just seems that may be where the hold up is happening.

Are you sure the goods can be sent to your country as I see on our site that many items are restricted due to the content matter.

I know this is difficult for you but you will have to contact whoever handles your mail as no one in the US can help now.

Read More Answers...

April 7, 2016 Flag

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

I apologize for part of my question as I missed the last part of your question ( dropped off at post office).

Actually, it is very difficult to steal an item at a large post office; letters may be easier, but still difficult.

I can only suggest that anyone printing labels at home should try to have them scanned in at the post office when they are dropped off. Some people say the post office gives them a hard time when they ask them to scan a package but fortunately, I have not had that problem.

You can write a letter to the Postal Service in Washington, DC and someone will respond to your questions. Check for the address on the Internet. I believe they have several departments listed - anyone will do as it will be forwarded to the correct department.

Good luck and I hope you can find it.

I print labels at home and my postman picks them up daily (and scans them in) but I have to be careful where I leave items to be picked up.

Read More Answers...

April 28, 2016 Flag

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

My parcel was sent from USPS to India and its been 20 days now i haven't recieved it. Any idea how to get it?

Read More Answers...

March 29, 2016 Flag

My boyfriend sent me my broken phone back in the mail, but I never got it. I don't have a tracking number. How will I be able to track it down? They said it would take 2 -3 days, but it's been a week. What should I do?

You can file a claim with the USPO but, without a tracking number, it will be difficult to find your package.

January 16, 2014 Flag

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

Best Answer

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule. Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

Read More Answers...

November 11, 2015 Flag

I lost my reciept from the Post Office now the business I sent the package to says they never got it. What recourse do I have proving I sent it back so I can get my money back?

Your receipt is the proof you sent the package. If the package is valuable, you also have the option to buy insurance.

If you remember the date you sent the package you may be able to use that and your name to track the package. I'm not sure this would work. Go to the local post office where you sent it and ask.

Read More Answers...

February 22, 2015 Flag

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

Just to clarify something, here, the kiosk is USPS and subject to all USPS rules and regulations. Packages are sometimes lost through USPS no matter what location you use. That is why it's a good idea to use tracking or insurance if it's anything of value.

Read More Answers...

February 19, 2015 Flag

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

I wouldn't report the mail carrier. The card may have never gotten as far as the carrier. Why would you want to make trouble for a probably innocent, hard working person?

Besides the fact that it would be impossible to prove a carrier took the money. In the future, let people in your family know, if they don't already, that sending cash in the mail is a bad idea.

Read More Answers...

January 4, 2015 Flag

I was suppose to receive a check from one of my friend in Texas. I live in New Jersey. It was delivered on 18/12/2014. I have not received it yet. I don't have a tracking number. Is it delayed because of Christmas and holidays? Please help.

By devweb

You say it was delivered but that means you got it. Did you mean it was sent? I can't imagine it taking this long so I would call the person who sent it and make sure it was not returned. Then, if you both can, set up a paypal account. You can get money in seconds that is like a debit card, spendable in every store in the USA... Hope that helps!

Read More Answers...

January 2, 2015 Flag

A friend of mine send me the check on the 18th of Dec 2014 from Texas, to my address in New Jersey. However I have not received it yet. It's been around 14 days now. Is it because of Christmas and the holidays?

By Shashi N.

Ask your friend to send you another, and to stop payment on the first one. However, are you sure your friend did send it when she said she did?

Read More Answers...

April 9, 2015 Flag

I sent it on 3/30 and they said it would arrive at its destination on 4/3. It is now 4/9 and still no package. Tracking it says it has been sitting in New Jersey since 4/3. What can I do? I cannot get anyone on the phone to help. This is crazy!

By Charlene from Tinley Park, IL

I agree with the other responder that a personal visit will get more attention.

Also, has the recipient stated the package has not been delivered? I ask this as sometimes parcels are delivered but final scan was not made (showing delivery).

Was parcel sent Priority Mail? If so, you will/should have some USPS insurance included (no extra payment).

Read More Answers...

March 23, 2015 Flag

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Coretta

My error-you should contact the sender of the packages.

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2015 Flag

I sent a package on January 29, 2015 to a friend who lives in Uruguay. I'm from New Jersey. This is the first time I've sent anything through the post office and well it might as well be the last since it's already March 13, 2015 and he still hasn't gotten it. It does have tracking and it says that it departed Montevideo, Uruguay. Does that mean it's being sent back to me? Cause it's been stuck like that since the 7th of February and I have no idea where it is now. I apparently bought insurance without realizing and it's a large flat rate box. What should I do?

By Kim

Has your friend checked with their local post office? Or customs?

Most likely they are the ones that will have to do the checking.

US postal service insurance does not always cover nondelivery to a foreign country. It has been long enough that your post office may place a tracer on your package.

Read More Answers...

March 11, 2015 Flag

I have had nothing but problems with the post office in Oakland California.The priority package departs Oakland, but never reaches Florida. Can somebody help me?

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                Load More
                Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 1, 2013
                Cat Scratching Sisal Post
                Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
                weighing postage
                Finding Postage Rates Online
                Post-It Notes
                Making a Post-It Note Holder
                Office chair with lime green cushions.
                Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 12:05:34 AM on 10.0.0.92 in 382 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.