Browsing: Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Some pet ailments can safely be treated at home whereas others need to be referred to a vet to determine the cause and proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with eye discharge.

Kitten
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 26, 2016 Flag

What do I do to treat my Siamese kitten's eye discharge?

kitten with closed eye
    Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used tea from a tea bag. I let it steep for about 3 minutes. Let it cool with an icecube. I dipped a cotton ball about 1/4 in tea. Gently placed on kittens eye for about 5 seconds to let the matter soften then wipe outward. Using a second cotton ball the same way on the other eye. If really matted repeat until matter is gone. I did this 3 times a day and by the third day all was clean and all kittens were happy.

Read More Answers...

July 5, 2016 Flag

A stray has had kittens in my back yard and their eyes are looking rough. They are crusted shut. I've tried warm water and a cloth and it's worked on a couple of them. I try to keep the area where they sleep clean, but it's not easy. I can't keep them, but I can't throw them away either. Is this problem contagious as I have inside cats as well. Please help. Thank you.

If one of my kittens have an eye Infection, can it effect my other kitten in my home

April 14, 2015 Flag

My kitten has discharge coming from its eye. What should I do?

By Shekia O.

Best Answer

A kitty's eye discharge could be for many reasons (eye infection, internal problem, etc.) and should be examined by a veterinarian for correct treatment. If you do not take your kitty to a vet for help now, the problem can become worse and much more difficult (and costly!) to treat.

Read More Answers...

January 8, 2015 Flag

closeup of cat's eyeMy cat has a crusty eye, chin, and upper jaw. What is it? How do we get rid of it? The cat has been taken to the vet twice, given eye wash, an extended round of Prednisolone 5 MG, and two rounds of Neo Poly Dex Opth Ointment. Yet the black crusty stuff just keeps coming back. He has been treated with Neosporin, but will rub his face until it's all gone. What is this from? And what do we do to make it stop? He occasionally walks around with his eye almost closed, which is worrying us.
      closeup of chin and jaw

By Benson

Google cat acne. My cat had this issue, I brushed it off with a tooth brush for awhile and changed his feeding bowl.

Read More Answers...

December 17, 2013 Flag

I have a kitten that is skinnier than normal. It walks around sometimes, but just lays around most of the time. It also has goop that keeps closing its eye. I wipe it with warm salt water would that be the reason why it's skinner then normal?

By Joseph

It sounds like your kitten has not seen a Vet. It is very important that you get the kitten to a Vet asap. The eye condition is common in kittens, but must be treated or the kitten may go blind. The "skinny" problem may be worms. Worms and fleas rob the kitten of the nutrition and energy. If not corrected, kittens can die.

A kitten needs a distemper shot to avoid a serious and deadly disease. The distemper vaccine has been implicated in early kidney disease, so I only get the initial shot for my kittens. Some Vets will advise a yearly shot. Until the vaccine is changed to avoid the kidney problem, I stop with one shot. If you cannot afford a Vet, check with your local humane society for low cost Vet visits.

Also local cat rescues can help with Vet care. You can find local pet rescues on petfinder.com. Or you may just be able to call a local Vet and tell them you haven't the money for a full visit. My Vet has a fund for this type of visit. Vets are aware of this problem. Good for you for taking in this kitten and caring enough to work to get her the help she needs. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

September 17, 2013 Flag

I have three kittens which are about 6 weeks old, there is pus in their eyes, and each time they sleep, they stick shut. I put a warm compress on them to open their eyes, but it does not help much. I just don't know what happened to their eyes. I've had kittens before with cold in their eyes, and treatment took care of them. I don't know what to do for these poor babies.

By Jacqueline

Here is the link for the vetricyn opth. gel

http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-BC0 ... acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It is really awesome!

Read More Answers...

September 30, 2006 Flag

My 3 week old kittens have something wrong with their eyes. They keep closing up with crust.

Jeanine from Barnegat, NJ

My cat has eyelashes on her inner eyelids which scratch her eyes and cause them to cloud over and become infected--the vet sold me a tiny tube of Butler Neo-Poly-Bac, a triple antibiotic, for $28. I noticed Neosporin has the same ingredients but a few extra, like cottonseed oil, that seems to me might burn in the eyes, but the Walmart brand triple-antibotic "Equate" has the exact same ingredients as the Butler without the extras and you can get a huge tube for $2.57. I haven't tried it yet, but, y'know, if it works, geez, what a frickin' waste of money.

Read More Answers...

July 26, 2015 Flag

My six week old kitten has this green gooey eye booger stuff in his eyes and every time he closes them they stick shut. I've been cleaning them with a paper towel and warm water. It helps a bit, but then I have to clean them again. I don't know what to do or what he has. Help?

Get a warm rag with green tea to clean it's eyes. Go to tractor supply store and buy Terramycin eye ointment. It's 15.99 a 3.5 ounce tube.

Read More Answers...

December 20, 2013 Flag

I have kittens that are 2 weeks old. One kitten has 1 eye open and the other eye is swollen with pus coming out of it. What can I do at home because I can't afford a vet bill?

By Patricia from West Palm Beach, FL

I usually take a wash cloth wet it with warm water and put just a tiny bit of antibacterial soap on it, (very little) and clear the eyes. This sounds like an infection which can get the other kitties infected. If you use E*ay (i have bought the medicine needed on there for this problem, it is Terramycin 3.5 g tube it is by Pfizer and from another country even though the seller was here in the us. You will still need this to help with the infection. Check the exp date on any that anyone is selling on there before buying or bidding.

Read More Answers...

October 7, 2015 Flag

I found a kitten. It looks like his mom abandoned him. His eyes were shut and he had crust on his eyes. I cleaned it with warm water and his eyes are red and puffy. Should I take him to the vet or is it normal because the mom cat didn't clean his eyes?

The cat has an eye infection. It may also have worms, fleas, mites, etc.

Since you don't know, take your kitten to the veterinarian. The vet will get your cat set up with worm medicine, eye medicine and all that stuff. If he's old enough he'll start his vaccinations for dangerous illnesses such as rabies. You can make an appointment for a spay or neuter. Next, go shopping for a breakaway kitten collar. The vet can get you tags. Now is the time to think of a name for your kitty. With a name and phone number on his tag, everyone will know he's yours.

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2014 Flag

black and white kitten in cat bedMy kitten has stuff coming out her eye and I was wondering if I could put Vaseline on it cause I think she has an eye infection. I will be booking an appointment with her vet soon, but in the meantime would it be OK if I just put Vaseline on temporally?

Vaseline does bad things to your eyes, it wouldn't help your cat's eyes either.

Cat's eyes make a lot of mucus. Adult cats clean this away, and you never notice it. Kittens don't know how to clean themselves properly, and the mother cat doesn't always get to it, so the gunk builds up.

A warm wet cloth can clear the gunk away, though it will likely return. A tea bag is often used, as it makes a cheap one shot sponge. Throw it away to keep things sanitary. The tea also helps to break up the gunk.

However, a full blown eye infection is very much a possibility. In such cases, treatment is best left to a vet.

Read More Answers...

June 1, 2015 Flag

Our cat had 6 kittens 5 days ago and their eyes aren't even open yet, but one of them has a swollen eye with some discharge, the cheek below that eye is a little swollen too. Should I take him to the vet or will warm water and neosporin be enough treatment for now?

Eye infections are common in kittens. However, antibiotics must be prescribed. If it is not treated properly the kitten could lose sight in the eye. If you had an infection in your eye, you would probably not just put Neosporin on it. At least I hope not.

Read More Answers...

April 7, 2013 Flag

My cat had kittens 2 weeks ago. One of the four has cold in their eye. I have tried using warm milk and it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

By Sam J

I cound a kitten in a car engine and got him very wild and scared. He cried all the time. Could this crusting be from crying and missing his momma. I trapped him and try to get food and milk down him Help!

Read More Answers...

January 2, 2016 Flag

I'm looking for help with my cat's eye problem. He is a 5 months old, a little troublemaker, and every now and then his eyes start to discharge some stretchy, milky white goo that looks like mucus. If I don't clean them the goo starts to cover his eyeballs. Prior to this there's usually some tears from his eyes, and followed by an infection.

We've seen the vet several times in the past months, and he said that something is irritating my kitten's eyes, he tries to clean it with his paws and there comes the infection. Antibiotics cure it, but it's always coming back, so the vet said the infection is a result, not a cause of this discharge.

I've tried to eliminate every factor that could irritate his eyes like cigarette smoke and dust, but the goo is still coming sometimes. We got some eyedrops with mild steroids in it to ease the itching and it seems to work, but I'm a little worried about all this medication. My kitten looks good, have an apetite, and is as playful as ever, but the problem is still present.

So my question is, have any of you ever encountered this kind of a problem, or any idea what causes this discharge?

closeup of kitten's eyes

01/03/2016 Flag

A vet approved anti-biotic should help cure the infection in the eyes. As a seasoned cat rescuer, I'd say it's likely that your kitty is allergic to his litter. Many litters on the market have harsh perfumes and dust that trigger allergies in the eyes, nasal passages, and lungs. I would recommend that you make a change to a dust-free and fragrance-free product (baking soda added helps with the smells) for his litter boxes. Vacuum and clean around his litter area daily to keep down the dust. We solved this eye problem in our Rescue kitties, by changing the type of litter, brushing and combing our kitties daily, and cleansing the inflamed eye area with a Vet-approved eye solution. His pet beds should have washable linings .... we line our cat beds with old quilted placemats that we launder weekly.

We also feed our cats a chicken-based wet and kibble food (treats caused them to vomit) and we use only stainless steel or Pyrex bowls, as plastic ones scratch and are toxic, causing inflamation around the eyes and mouth. Glad you have a vet that's monitoring his eye health. Good Luck!

Load More
              Pets HealthApril 9, 2013
              One Month Old Kittens
              Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
              Flea Bath
              Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
              Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
              Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
              Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
              Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 27, 2016 at 9:04:36 PM on 10.0.0.5 in 717 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.