Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Category Health
Kitten
Some pet ailments can safely be treated at home whereas others need to be referred to a vet to determine the cause and proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with eye discharge.

I have three kittens which are about 6 weeks old, there is pus in their eyes, and each time they sleep, they stick shut. I put a warm compress on them to open their eyes, but it does not help much. I just don't know what happened to their eyes. I've had kittens before with cold in their eyes, and treatment took care of them. I don't know what to do for these poor babies.

By Jacqueline

Answer Was this helpful? 3

" If the discharge coming from your kittys nose is green//yellow, this indicates infection and kitty will need antibiotics. Clavamox oral suspension is an excellent antibiotic for kitties and you may obtain it without a prescription from this online drug store:

http://www.vetserv-usa.com/.

Be sure to buy the oral suspension: 50/12.5mg/ml. Kittens receive ¼ ml twice per day. Kitties 5-7lbs receive 1/2 ml twice per day. Over 7lbs receive 1ml twice per day.

If there is no time to wait for a shipment of meds to come in, you can go to most pet and aquarium stores and buy Fish Mox, in the fish section, which is Amoxicillin.

Important mixing instructions: You will need a small bottle to mix & keep the medication in. If you buy the 250mg Fish Mox, crush the pill, then dilute it with 5ml of water in the bottle & mix well. For the 500mg crush the pill then mix it with 10ml of water. This dilutes the Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) to 50mg per 1ml which is the same dosage one gets from the vet. Kittens under 5lbs receive .25ml 2 x per day & kitties over 5lbs receive .50ml 2 x per day. Large kitties apx 10lbs receive 1ml

Many times cats will slow down and/or completely stop eating and drinking when they have URI. It is imperative you watch your kitty closely as dehydration sets in very quickly and can kill them if not treated immediately!"

The following is an excellent site I go to for cat advice.

Many of my cats are suffering from allergies colds, as I took them in as fosters and they did not get the best start in life.

http://www.apla … catcaretips/uri/

Please, visit Amazon and enter this product:

Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel 2.0 oz

Read the reviews and consider giving this product a try. I did not need the eye drops but after reading the reviews, I bought other products from the Vetericyn line for my cats and they work! I sure hope that this helps. Meow

My kitten also has eye and nose discharge. At this time I can't afford to pay attention, anyway several friends and a neighbor have suggested I wash w warm water and very sparingly apply Neosporin. Any info about this?

Anonymous

This may sound insaine to you but we recently ran into the same problem with a kitten we rescued so when warm compress didn't help I decided to treat her the same as I would my babies..I could not place anything on the eyes so I made a cup of REAL GREEN TEA and after It cooled we washed her eyes with it & then put one drop in each eye every four hours & began to clean the outside every two hours with a cotton ball dipped in Braggs organic Apple cider vinegar & I less then 48 hrs everything was completely clear.

I have recently came across 2 male kittens approximately 8 weeks old. One has a little discharge and closure to the eye. He has no foul smell, nor does he seem to be sneezing or coughing. What can I do to help the kitten?

I am not working, so I do not have the money to take it to the vet. Can someone give me suggestions? I want to be able to take care of him. He is very sweet.

By Stormie0122 from New Kensington, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 3

I want to thank everyone who posted. Because of you my baby kitten I recently adopted is recovering. I read this post yesterday and used antibiotic ointment and flushed with warm water first. Worked so wonderfully. My little guy's name is Nacho. I can not believe how effective it is. Mahalo. Nui Loa

I have kittens that have pus stuff coming out of there eyes. They are about 6 weeks old.

You can go to the vet office and ask for "baby kitten eye ointment" and they'll know what to give you. It doesn't take an appointment and the med. only costs about $5.00. The name of the med. is Teramycin. wipe the eyes from the inside out with a clean cloth and a clean cloth for each eye before applying med.

What do I do to treat my Siamese kitten's eye discharge?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I used tea from a tea bag. I let it steep for about 3 minutes. Let it cool with an icecube. I dipped a cotton ball about 1/4 in tea. Gently placed on kittens eye for about 5 seconds to let the matter soften then wipe outward. Using a second cotton ball the same way on the other eye. If really matted repeat until matter is gone. I did this 3 times a day and by the third day all was clean and all kittens were happy.

I have kittens that are 2 weeks old. One kitten has 1 eye open and the other eye is swollen with pus coming out of it. What can I do at home because I can't afford a vet bill?

By Patricia from West Palm Beach, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My kitten has discharge coming from its eye. What should I do?

By Shekia O.

Best Answer

A kitty's eye discharge could be for many reasons (eye infection, internal problem, etc.) and should be examined by a veterinarian for correct treatment. If you do not take your kitty to a vet for help now, the problem can become worse and much more difficult (and costly!) to treat.

I have a kitten that is skinnier than normal. It walks around sometimes, but just lays around most of the time. It also has goop that keeps closing its eye. I wipe it with warm salt water would that be the reason why it's skinner then normal?

By Joseph

Answer Was this helpful? 2

It sounds like your kitten has not seen a Vet. It is very important that you get the kitten to a Vet asap. The eye condition is common in kittens, but must be treated or the kitten may go blind. The "skinny" problem may be worms. Worms and fleas rob the kitten of the nutrition and energy. If not corrected, kittens can die.

A kitten needs a distemper shot to avoid a serious and deadly disease. The distemper vaccine has been implicated in early kidney disease, so I only get the initial shot for my kittens. Some Vets will advise a yearly shot. Until the vaccine is changed to avoid the kidney problem, I stop with one shot. If you cannot afford a Vet, check with your local humane society for low cost Vet visits.

Also local cat rescues can help with Vet care. You can find local pet rescues on petfinder.com. Or you may just be able to call a local Vet and tell them you haven't the money for a full visit. My Vet has a fund for this type of visit. Vets are aware of this problem. Good for you for taking in this kitten and caring enough to work to get her the help she needs. Good luck.

I am looking for a home remedy for baby kittens with their eyes stuck shut from discharge.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My cat had kittens 2 weeks ago. One of the four has cold in their eye. I have tried using warm milk and it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

By Sam J

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hello,

Kittens are so nice to have around!

I know how difficult it can be to take our animals to the vet unless we feel sure it is very necessary.

I can remember having to learn when to take a child to the doctor and when to try old fashioned remedies.

I have found that kittens are sometimes prone to having a yellow discharge from their eyes that may not be serious.

. I always mixed a small amount of Epson salt or just regular salt in a cup of hot water (Sea salt is really good also).

Let the water warm! and then dip a small cotton square or a very clean piece of WHITE cloth in the warm water and DAB it gently on the kittens eyes (both eyes). Be very gentle. Don't worry if you do not remove all of the yellow gunk. Just be sure to use a clean area of the pad each time so that you do not spread the infection.

Throw all used material away.

You will have to do this several times a day for 2 or 3 days and then slack off to maybe 2 times a day until the yellow does not come back. Just be sure to make fresh salt water and use only clean pads.

This may take time so be patient. This may be contagious so keep an eye on the other kittens.

You could also Google this question and see what others suggest.

This always worked for me but if there is no improvement then it would be best to try and take them to the vet.

Animals are precious and I am glad you are trying to find help.

I just found a kitten outside, it looks like it was an outside kitten with other kittens around. I have never owned a cat before! She looks to be very young, when I brought her home I noticed a little bit of green drainage coming out of her left eye, it's two days later after bringing her home and she still has it. Also, this morning she vomited up what looked to be her kitty food on the floor. I have no money right this minute to take her to the vet. I also have a one year old child that has been around her. Is this bad for her? Also, not sure what to do about the kitty. Please help!

Cheri from USA

Your kitten definetly needs medical care. Vomitimg and green drainage indicate an infection and cats can spread these things to humans. Call animal control and ask them what to do. Be prepared to hear the worst: in many areas animal control centers are so lacking in funds all they can do is put sick or injured animals down. They can also tell you if you and your daughter need to see a doctor. Good luck and God Bless to you and your daughter and I hope the kitten will be all right.

Before you call animal control, check around to see if there is a "no-kill" shelter in your area. They will treat the kitten and put it up for adoption.

Some vets will let you make payments if you can't afford to pay all at once. If not, then take the kitten to a no-kill shelter. She DEFINITELY needs medical attention!

The kitty has an infection. Keep it away from your child. The SPCA may be able to help you. There are some clinics that will work with you on payments. Call some of the vets or clinics in your area and they can give you the name of someone or an agency who can help. Good luck.

Maybe you might let this kitty go to a new home via the no-kill shelter, since she urgently needs vet care. When you are good and ready to CHOOSE the cat of your dreams, with full resources for supporting her, you can get a healthy one and be able to afford preventive care to keep her healthy too. Much more fun! Wish you the best, I know you're already bonded, but this might be a good idea.

Take a warm moist rag and simply wipe the kitties eyes, then simply keep an eye on it. You never mentioned if the kitties appetite was still good. A cat can go up to 72 hours without eating and still live my vet has told me. Just make sure that the kitty has plenty of fresh water and a clean cat box that is scooped out every day.

AS far as "it" throwing up, that sounds like "fur balls" which all cats ingest from cleaning themselves and the other cats that may be around. You did not mention IF "it" is a short hair or a long haired cat. I have short haired cats and they throw up nearly once a week...it is only fur balls that they are throwing up. So they (the fur balls) are not hurting them at all. That is why cats eat green grass too to settle their tummies

Even though cats can survive 72 hours without eating PLEASE get it some dry food. My cats eat mostly dry food that I have sitting in its own bag over in the corner of the kitchen. Just cut across the top of the cat food bag fold the top down and let the kitty eat as much as it likes and any time that it likes...make sure it has a bowl a fresh water constantly.

As far as toys for your new kitty, wadded up balls of tin foil or news paper is something they can bat around and play with. My cats enjoy rubber bands (and even if they ingest them (the rubber bands) they will come out their other end so they will not hurt them.

They also love to get in paper bags (keep them away from plastic bags of any kind, as they can suffocate them). They also will love to lay on news paper and/or sleep in the sun no matter how hot it is outside.

Get a soft baby doll brush (or any small hair brush) and brush the kitty who will gradually let you do it all of the time. They are funny about letting someone get close to their stomach area UNLESS they are used to you and totally trust you.

REMEMBER that humans do not pick kitties, the kitties pick humans they are comfortable around and trust.

Remember too that they are one of God's animals and HE will take care of them with our help of course.

Don't worry about a vet bill until you have too - female cats can start to reproduce at 4 months of age! So they literally are kittens having kittens sometime.

Male kitties/cats will "spray" their urine on areas to mark their territory BUT having them neutured can eliminate that all together...

The last stray we had neutured and all of their shots given ran us close to $300 so do not be in such a hurry to take them to the vet. I remember an old barn cat we had years ago that lived over 17 years and never saw a vet but once in a blue moon...so save your money, leave their care in Gods hands and do the best that you can for yourself and your child.

Contact me should you have any other questions:

dpcarr AT bellsouth.net AND good luck from a fellow cat lover of over 50 years!

This may be a kitty cold. Get a bottle of store brand children's benadryl. At Fred's this costs $1. Use a small spoon or plastic dropper to get a bit of the benadryl into the kitten a few times a day. Also make sure it gets some calories. I just recently brought one back by using the drops & squishing cheese all over his mouth. He had to lick it off. A few days later he moved on to canned cat food. Also wet the kitties face with water, so it has to lick it off. Wipe off the gunk with damp paper towels.Wash yourself & your clothes with lots of soap & water regularly. If possible keep kitty & what it comes in contact with, away from your child until it gets better, which I hope it does. I know that even though my kitten hardly used any of the medication, it was one of the best money I ever spent. It took a few weeks of mushing his face in his food to get him to eat it & I still give him some cheese almost every day as I am trying to keep his tummy a bit round.

If kitty is very young you may have to wipe the other end too. This is how mama cats help them go.

I hope he (or she) gets better!

I had a perfectly healthy cat that once in awhile would vomit up undigested cat food. I always thought he ate too fast or too much. With this kitten he might be afraid the food will be taken from him, so he gobbles it down. Personally the eye infection sounds like it is of more concern. I think I would be careful to keep the child away from the cat, until you know what is causing the eye drainage.

I copied this from a previous post on this site. I don't know who originally posted it, but found it to be helpful.

Chamomile Tea for Cat Eye Problems

Save on expensive vet bills. If you have an animal that has an eye problem, bathe the eye in chamomile tea. Steep strong tea as you would if you were going to drink it. Let it cool. Take a cotton ball or face cloth and soak it in the tea. Apply to animals eye(s). This helped me save lots of $ when my cat had an eye infection which the prescription wasn't helping. I only had to do it twice and the eye cleared up entirely.

You are such a sweetheart for taking this kitty in. I can help you hun. The eye drainage may be due to a cold - but even if that's not the case - you may use Terramycin Ointment on the eye(s)...it starts to work immediately and if you don't wanna get it at an expensive vet there are places that sell it like Tractor Supply...(places that sell meds for animals - even horses...they are like farm supply stores but are so great with ALL animals and pets for all needs, incl. medical needs) - Also, the reason lil' kitty vomitted up her food is simply cuz' she/he was so excited to have good food placed in front of it ... it simply ate too fast and therefore threw it up - I have worked at 3 vet clinics...God Love yah hun and God Bless...P.S. If there is no worm (ringworm) or fleas present, you and your lil' child should be just fine...Jodie Erica... Oh, and if there is ringworm or fleas present - those situations can be taken care of without hurting you or your lil' one...Good Luck Hunz

this is not uncommon with new kitties under 6 weeks. Warm towel washings several times a day. If the kittie developes diarreha contact me at drgonldytx56 AT yahoo.com for a NATURAL cure i use and now my vet is using regularly for all their easy cases and HARD CORE cases. Fleas - dawn dishwashing liquid, sock over head to protect it. if that does not work sock tied behind front legs will help keep it calm also. eye treatments may require calling a local vet or two for a consensus. just tell them you are without funds. 4 weeks old DO NOT GIVE IT FOOD YET. get some KMR kitten milk formula should be on it for another 4 weeks especially if it is having vomitting issues. It is throwing up due to stomach not handling food just yet. then start with one tsp soft food to 1-2 tsp formula every two days decreasing milk/food ration 1.5 tsp to 1T formula minus .5 tsp etc. Like giving your baby chili. At 4 weeks bladder and bowel control should be working or on the verge so you dont have to wipe them to stimulate them. If you are being forced to take kitten to litter box before and after every meal and stimulate them there. I will check with my vet for green drainage problem and give you a further update. if not treated the kitten WILL loose the eye. But dont be afraid it can be taken care of easy.

A kitten found me. She must have known she needed help because she has not been handled by any humans. She just meowed her little heart out until I found her, scared and shivering, next to a chain link fence in my neighborhood. She looks completely blind in her left eye, it has the milky white look. It is also red like it's infected and she still has discharge coming from it as well. I've tried to get a better look, but she's still too skittish. I really can't afford a vet and am too scared to give her to the SPCA; it would break my heart if they put her down because they couldn't find her a home. I am positive she will not see out of this eye. Is there anything I can do at home to treat her or try to see if a vet will help me since it is a stray I am willing to keep? Besides her eye, she seems in good health.

By Brittney H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I found a mother cat and her kittens outside under my step and they are 13 days old. One kitten has a green mucous type discharge coming out of one eye and it can't open the other eye because it is all crusty, do I need to take it to the vet?

By Pam D

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a beautiful baby girl kitten who is about 6 to 8 wks old and she has now ended up with some kind of eye discharge! Sometimes she has pale puss pour out when I clean her eye and sometimes it just sticks. There is no odor, nor blood showing in it. It is not yellow or green, but kinda grayish and it's puss.

I'm in no position to go to a vet as I don't get paid for 3 weeks and I have no funds. Is there anything I can do for her at home? She is one of four kittens brought to me after the mother cat disappeared and was gone for 3 days. Those people tried to keep the babies going on regular milk till momma came back, but she never came back :(

Anyhow the babies were, give or take, 2 weeks old when I got them. Their eyes were just freshly opened. Anyhow I had them a week or so and the babies were doing great then "Bam" they nose dived. I lost one on a Saturday, then one the next week, and then my other sweet girl passed away just a hour after I checked them and made them potty. We headed home and it was time to feed them anyways, but by the time we made it home she had passed away.

So I'm left with my oh so very sweet miss Charlie and she is doing great except for this eye crap. The mother cat was found a few days after I was given the kittens and she was dead :( We suspect that she was poisoned with rat poison cause there are idiot fools out here in our park that don't like cats :(

Charlie also had what looked like cradle cap on her belly, her butt, and lady parts, and her hind legs. I cleaned her often and I put some baby petroleum jelly on those areas, she now has no cradle cap and the fur in those areas is also gone?!

I'm only wondering WTH is really going on here? I do wildlife rehabbing for our area and I've had several orphaned babies and never have I seen this before. Anyhow I keep her well cleaned and I'm just dumbfounded at all this.

Can someone please tell what I can do for my oh so very sweet Charlie's eye? I will be making a visit to my vet just as soon as I can. But I'd like to help her now.
Thank you kindly.

I rescued a 5 week old kitten from the shelter, he has watery eyes and is sneezing. He does not have any colored discharge, but he is not eating or drinking his water. I don't know what to do. I am afraid he will die from dehydration.

My kitten has stuff coming out her eye and I was wondering if I could put Vaseline on it cause I think she has an eye infection. I will be booking an appointment with her vet soon, but in the meantime would it be OK if I just put Vaseline on temporally?

My family and I are currently taking care of some stray cats. However one cat who is about a year old has some discharge from her eye and she can't open it. She is also not eating. We want to know if there is anything we can do for her, like any home remedies before we take her to a vet. It is also important to note, that she won't let us touch her because she runs away. Is there vitamins or antibiotics we can give her?

By Robert from Bridgeport, CT

Last night I adopted a kitten from a feral cat's litter. He looks about 4 weeks old and the people who have been feeding them say he has always had a discharge in his eyes that they wipe away each day. They thought it was allergies, but I recognize it as an infection. Is Bacitracin 500u okay to use on a kitten with white eye discharge?

By k

I have found 4 very young kittens that have crusty eyes (nearly closed from the gunk). I think the irritation is from gnats, as there are a lot swarming. Can someone help me to treat their eyes? They are not mine and I can't afford a vet, but don't want to see them suffering.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

What is causing the white eye boogers in my kitten's eyes? He is about 7 weeks old.

My six week old kitten has this green gooey eye booger stuff in his eyes and every time he closes them they stick shut. I've been cleaning them with a paper towel and warm water. It helps a bit, but then I have to clean them again. I don't know what to do or what he has. Help?

You can use triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) in the cats eyes. Use it 4 times a day. It is better than nothing, but a trip to the Vet would be best. If not treated this can cause blindness.

Our cat had 6 kittens 5 days ago and their eyes aren't even open yet, but one of them has a swollen eye with some discharge, the cheek below that eye is a little swollen too. Should I take him to the vet or will warm water and neosporin be enough treatment for now?

What has happened if my cat Sisi has gunk in his eyes? He has cloudyness and it is really building up. He itches them every day.

By Vannesa R.

I'm looking for help with my cat's eye problem. He is a 5 months old, a little troublemaker, and every now and then his eyes start to discharge some stretchy, milky white goo that looks like mucus. If I don't clean them the goo starts to cover his eyeballs. Prior to this there's usually some tears from his eyes, and followed by an infection.

We've seen the vet several times in the past months, and he said that something is irritating my kitten's eyes, he tries to clean it with his paws and there comes the infection. Antibiotics cure it, but it's always coming back, so the vet said the infection is a result, not a cause of this discharge.

I've tried to eliminate every factor that could irritate his eyes like cigarette smoke and dust, but the goo is still coming sometimes. We got some eyedrops with mild steroids in it to ease the itching and it seems to work, but I'm a little worried about all this medication. My kitten looks good, have an apetite, and is as playful as ever, but the problem is still present.

So my question is, have any of you ever encountered this kind of a problem, or any idea what causes this discharge?

01/03/2016 Flag

A vet approved anti-biotic should help cure the infection in the eyes. As a seasoned cat rescuer, I'd say it's likely that your kitty is allergic to his litter. Many litters on the market have harsh perfumes and dust that trigger allergies in the eyes, nasal passages, and lungs. I would recommend that you make a change to a dust-free and fragrance-free product (baking soda added helps with the smells) for his litter boxes. Vacuum and clean around his litter area daily to keep down the dust. We solved this eye problem in our Rescue kitties, by changing the type of litter, brushing and combing our kitties daily, and cleansing the inflamed eye area with a Vet-approved eye solution. His pet beds should have washable linings .... we line our cat beds with old quilted placemats that we launder weekly.

We also feed our cats a chicken-based wet and kibble food (treats caused them to vomit) and we use only stainless steel or Pyrex bowls, as plastic ones scratch and are toxic, causing inflamation around the eyes and mouth. Glad you have a vet that's monitoring his eye health. Good Luck!

My cat has eye gunk, much like a humans, crusty, and yellow, but not super yellow. Only after I wake her up does she get this. I use a warm cloth to wipe her eyes and it vanishes. As soon as she goes to sleep and wakes back up it's back and she can no longer open her eyes. I then have to repeat the process.

I found her at my shipyard. She's about 4-5 weeks old, very active, eating solid food like she already knew how, drinking plenty of water, and goes pee in a litter box on her own. She hasn't pooped yet.

I've tried stimulating her (even after reading that she shouldnt need to be stimulated.) I don't really want a vet bill so I'm asking what to do on here first. I've had her for about two days and this is the first cat I've owned. If I have to bring her to the vet I will, but I just wanted some advice before iI rack up a pricey vet bill.

About three days ago I found a kitten in my back yard, and I kept her. When we first got her she was fine, then her eyes started crusting shut! To keep her clean I have to wash her eyes with a washcloth three times a day! It doesn't seem like eye discharge, but I can't think of anything else that it would be, what do I do?

Load More