Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Some pet ailments can safely be treated at home whereas others need to be referred to a vet to determine the cause and proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with eye discharge.

September 17, 2013 Flag

I have three kittens which are about 6 weeks old, there is pus in their eyes, and each time they sleep, they stick shut. I put a warm compress on them to open their eyes, but it does not help much. I just don't know what happened to their eyes. I've had kittens before with cold in their eyes, and treatment took care of them. I don't know what to do for these poor babies.

By Jacqueline

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

" If the discharge coming from your kittys nose is green//yellow, this indicates infection and kitty will need antibiotics. Clavamox oral suspension is an excellent antibiotic for kitties and you may obtain it without a prescription from this online drug store:

http://www.vetserv-usa.com/.

Be sure to buy the oral suspension: 50/12.5mg/ml. Kittens receive ¼ ml twice per day. Kitties 5-7lbs receive 1/2 ml twice per day. Over 7lbs receive 1ml twice per day.

If there is no time to wait for a shipment of meds to come in, you can go to most pet and aquarium stores and buy Fish Mox, in the fish section, which is Amoxicillin.

Important mixing instructions: You will need a small bottle to mix & keep the medication in. If you buy the 250mg Fish Mox, crush the pill, then dilute it with 5ml of water in the bottle & mix well. For the 500mg crush the pill then mix it with 10ml of water. This dilutes the Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) to 50mg per 1ml which is the same dosage one gets from the vet. Kittens under 5lbs receive .25ml 2 x per day & kitties over 5lbs receive .50ml 2 x per day. Large kitties apx 10lbs receive 1ml

Many times cats will slow down and/or completely stop eating and drinking when they have URI. It is imperative you watch your kitty closely as dehydration sets in very quickly and can kill them if not treated immediately!"

The following is an excellent site I go to for cat advice.

Many of my cats are suffering from allergies colds, as I took them in as fosters and they did not get the best start in life.

http://www.aplaceoflove.org/catcaretips/uri/

Here is the link for the vetricyn opth. gel

http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-BC0 ... acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It is really awesome!

Read More Answers...

July 28, 2009 Flag

I have recently came across 2 male kittens approximately 8 weeks old. One has a little discharge and closure to the eye. He has no foul smell, nor does he seem to be sneezing or coughing. What can I do to help the kitten?

I am not working, so I do not have the money to take it to the vet. Can someone give me suggestions? I want to be able to take care of him. He is very sweet.

By Stormie0122 from New Kensington, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I forgot what age the kitten is, but if you have a zithromax tablet that is not old, then you can get that or order fish antibiotics animal supply magazines or at petsmart if they have it...

I had a pill of zithromax, a z pack and I cut it into sixteen pieces and gave it to them however much the following site tells to give it to them. You dose by weight. Antibiotics are the only thing that will help. Never throw good antibiotics away if you are going to have kittens. You have to find the right dose and cut the pill up and divide the total milligrams into halfs and fourths until you get the right mg piece and then crush it and feed it in a pill pocket..they love these most vets sell them.

Here is a great resource: http://www.animalstars.com/pet_health.html#anchor_zpak

Of course vets are always the simpler and easier way to go but if you cant afford it this is the way. Robyn

I want to thank everyone who posted. Because of you my baby kitten I recently adopted is recovering. I read this post yesterday and used antibiotic ointment and flushed with warm water first. Worked so wonderfully. My little guy's name is Nacho. I can not believe how effective it is. Mahalo. Nui Loa

Read More Answers...

June 26, 2016 Flag

What do I do to treat my Siamese kitten's eye discharge?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What kinda tea? Dose it matter?

What kind of tea bag?

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2015 Flag

My kitten has discharge coming from its eye. What should I do?

By Shekia O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A kitty's eye discharge could be for many reasons (eye infection, internal problem, etc.) and should be examined by a veterinarian for correct treatment. If you do not take your kitty to a vet for help now, the problem can become worse and much more difficult (and costly!) to treat.

My kitten has a gooey yellowish discharge coming from her eyes. What should I do?

Read More Answers...

September 11, 2016 Flag

My kittens have sore eyes. What can I do for them?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Kittens frequently get eye infections. You will need to see a veterinarian for the proper medicine. If it is not treated they can go blind. Don't wait it gets worse rather quickly.

August 1, 2016 Flag

I rescued a kitten that had terrible fleas so bathed her with a little Dawn and rinsed her well. The fleas are gone. I hope the eggs are too. The real problem now is that she has a little matter coming out of the corners of her eyes. Is this something I can address at home now? We plan to take her to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment (It's Sunday and they're closed).

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Getting rid of the fleas was important. I have seen fleas kill small kittens. Most small kittens have an eye infection so you will need ointment from your Vet. You can gently wipe the matter away with a warm wet washcloth. That helps, but she will need to be treated. Blindness can result if she is not treated. A day or two delay will not matter too much. Good luck to you.

December 17, 2013 Flag

I have a kitten that is skinnier than normal. It walks around sometimes, but just lays around most of the time. It also has goop that keeps closing its eye. I wipe it with warm salt water would that be the reason why it's skinner then normal?

By Joseph

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your cat needs to see a vet. Rubbing the eye with salt water is a good idea, but it's not causing the weight loss. It sounds like worms and/or an infection. See the vet!

It sounds like your kitten has not seen a Vet. It is very important that you get the kitten to a Vet asap. The eye condition is common in kittens, but must be treated or the kitten may go blind. The "skinny" problem may be worms. Worms and fleas rob the kitten of the nutrition and energy. If not corrected, kittens can die.

A kitten needs a distemper shot to avoid a serious and deadly disease. The distemper vaccine has been implicated in early kidney disease, so I only get the initial shot for my kittens. Some Vets will advise a yearly shot. Until the vaccine is changed to avoid the kidney problem, I stop with one shot. If you cannot afford a Vet, check with your local humane society for low cost Vet visits.

Also local cat rescues can help with Vet care. You can find local pet rescues on petfinder.com. Or you may just be able to call a local Vet and tell them you haven't the money for a full visit. My Vet has a fund for this type of visit. Vets are aware of this problem. Good for you for taking in this kitten and caring enough to work to get her the help she needs. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

December 20, 2013 Flag

I have kittens that are 2 weeks old. One kitten has 1 eye open and the other eye is swollen with pus coming out of it. What can I do at home because I can't afford a vet bill?

By Patricia from West Palm Beach, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

if you do not have the money to properly take care of these kittens then you should go surrender them to the nearest local Humane Society, with the mother. At the very least you need to have the mother spayed.

I usually take a wash cloth wet it with warm water and put just a tiny bit of antibacterial soap on it, (very little) and clear the eyes. This sounds like an infection which can get the other kitties infected. If you use E*ay (i have bought the medicine needed on there for this problem, it is Terramycin 3.5 g tube it is by Pfizer and from another country even though the seller was here in the us. You will still need this to help with the infection. Check the exp date on any that anyone is selling on there before buying or bidding.

Read More Answers...

January 2, 2016 Flag

I'm looking for help with my cat's eye problem. He is a 5 months old, a little troublemaker, and every now and then his eyes start to discharge some stretchy, milky white goo that looks like mucus. If I don't clean them the goo starts to cover his eyeballs. Prior to this there's usually some tears from his eyes, and followed by an infection.

We've seen the vet several times in the past months, and he said that something is irritating my kitten's eyes, he tries to clean it with his paws and there comes the infection. Antibiotics cure it, but it's always coming back, so the vet said the infection is a result, not a cause of this discharge.

I've tried to eliminate every factor that could irritate his eyes like cigarette smoke and dust, but the goo is still coming sometimes. We got some eyedrops with mild steroids in it to ease the itching and it seems to work, but I'm a little worried about all this medication. My kitten looks good, have an apetite, and is as playful as ever, but the problem is still present.

So my question is, have any of you ever encountered this kind of a problem, or any idea what causes this discharge?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a seasoned cat rescuer, I'd say i\It's likely that your kitty is allergic to his litter. Many litters on the market have harsh perfumes and dust that trigger allergies in the eyes, nasal passages, and lungs. I would recommend that you make a change to a dust-free and fragrance-free product (baking soda added helps with the smells) for his litter boxes. Vacuum and clean around his litter area daily to keep down the dust. We solved this eye problem in our Rescue kitties, by changing the type of litter, brushing our kitties daily, and cleansing the inflamed eye area with a Vet approved eye solution. His pet beds should have washable linings ........we line our cat beds with old quilted placemats, and launder them weekly. Glad you have a vet that's monitoring his eye health. Good Luck!

01/03/2016 Flag

A vet approved anti-biotic should help cure the infection in the eyes. As a seasoned cat rescuer, I'd say it's likely that your kitty is allergic to his litter. Many litters on the market have harsh perfumes and dust that trigger allergies in the eyes, nasal passages, and lungs. I would recommend that you make a change to a dust-free and fragrance-free product (baking soda added helps with the smells) for his litter boxes. Vacuum and clean around his litter area daily to keep down the dust. We solved this eye problem in our Rescue kitties, by changing the type of litter, brushing and combing our kitties daily, and cleansing the inflamed eye area with a Vet-approved eye solution. His pet beds should have washable linings .... we line our cat beds with old quilted placemats that we launder weekly.

We also feed our cats a chicken-based wet and kibble food (treats caused them to vomit) and we use only stainless steel or Pyrex bowls, as plastic ones scratch and are toxic, causing inflamation around the eyes and mouth. Glad you have a vet that's monitoring his eye health. Good Luck!

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2014 Flag

My kitten has stuff coming out her eye and I was wondering if I could put Vaseline on it cause I think she has an eye infection. I will be booking an appointment with her vet soon, but in the meantime would it be OK if I just put Vaseline on temporally?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your cat to a vet ASAP. This is not something to self-treat or you could very well end up with a blind cat in a very short time.

Vaseline does bad things to your eyes, it wouldn't help your cat's eyes either.

Cat's eyes make a lot of mucus. Adult cats clean this away, and you never notice it. Kittens don't know how to clean themselves properly, and the mother cat doesn't always get to it, so the gunk builds up.

A warm wet cloth can clear the gunk away, though it will likely return. A tea bag is often used, as it makes a cheap one shot sponge. Throw it away to keep things sanitary. The tea also helps to break up the gunk.

However, a full blown eye infection is very much a possibility. In such cases, treatment is best left to a vet.

Read More Answers...

July 26, 2015 Flag

My six week old kitten has this green gooey eye booger stuff in his eyes and every time he closes them they stick shut. I've been cleaning them with a paper towel and warm water. It helps a bit, but then I have to clean them again. I don't know what to do or what he has. Help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) in the cats eyes. Use it 4 times a day. It is better than nothing, but a trip to the Vet would be best. If not treated this can cause blindness.

Get a warm rag with green tea to clean it's eyes. Go to tractor supply store and buy Terramycin eye ointment. It's 15.99 a 3.5 ounce tube.

Read More Answers...

April 7, 2013 Flag

My cat had kittens 2 weeks ago. One of the four has cold in their eye. I have tried using warm milk and it didn't work.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets HealthApril 9, 2013
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies
🎉
🎄