Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Some pet ailments can safely be treated at home whereas others need to be referred to a vet to determine the cause and proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with eye discharge.

June 26, 2016 Flag

What do I do to treat my Siamese kitten's eye discharge?

kitten with closed eye

I used tea from a tea bag. I let it steep for about 3 minutes. Let it cool with an icecube. I dipped a cotton ball about 1/4 in tea. Gently placed on kittens eye for about 5 seconds to let the matter soften then wipe outward. Using a second cotton ball the same way on the other eye. If really matted repeat until matter is gone. I did this 3 times a day and by the third day all was clean and all kittens were happy.

September 30, 2006 Flag

My 3 week old kittens have something wrong with their eyes. They keep closing up with crust.

Jeanine from Barnegat, NJ

July 5, 2016 Flag

A stray has had kittens in my back yard and their eyes are looking rough. They are crusted shut. I've tried warm water and a cloth and it's worked on a couple of them. I try to keep the area where they sleep clean, but it's not easy. I can't keep them, but I can't throw them away either. Is this problem contagious as I have inside cats as well. Please help. Thank you.

September 11, 2016 Flag

My kittens have sore eyes. What can I do for them?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Kittens frequently get eye infections. You will need to see a veterinarian for the proper medicine. If it is not treated they can go blind. Don't wait it gets worse rather quickly.

April 14, 2015 Flag

My kitten has discharge coming from its eye. What should I do?

By Shekia O.

Best Answer

A kitty's eye discharge could be for many reasons (eye infection, internal problem, etc.) and should be examined by a veterinarian for correct treatment. If you do not take your kitty to a vet for help now, the problem can become worse and much more difficult (and costly!) to treat.

January 8, 2015 Flag

closeup of cat's eyeMy cat has a crusty eye, chin, and upper jaw. What is it? How do we get rid of it? The cat has been taken to the vet twice, given eye wash, an extended round of Prednisolone 5 MG, and two rounds of Neo Poly Dex Opth Ointment. Yet the black crusty stuff just keeps coming back. He has been treated with Neosporin, but will rub his face until it's all gone. What is this from? And what do we do to make it stop? He occasionally walks around with his eye almost closed, which is worrying us.
closeup of chin and jaw

By Benson

When a cats chin looks like that it has fleas. The black specs is flea poop. No other way to say it. Get advantage II from Petco or a vet it's about $12.00 for a month but it comes in packs of 3 or 6. Believe me I'm a cat lady.

August 1, 2016 Flag

I rescued a kitten that had terrible fleas so bathed her with a little Dawn and rinsed her well. The fleas are gone. I hope the eggs are too. The real problem now is that she has a little matter coming out of the corners of her eyes. Is this something I can address at home now? We plan to take her to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment (It's Sunday and they're closed).

closeup of black and white kitten

Getting rid of the fleas was important. I have seen fleas kill small kittens. Most small kittens have an eye infection so you will need ointment from your Vet. You can gently wipe the matter away with a warm wet washcloth. That helps, but she will need to be treated. Blindness can result if she is not treated. A day or two delay will not matter too much. Good luck to you.

December 17, 2013 Flag

I have a kitten that is skinnier than normal. It walks around sometimes, but just lays around most of the time. It also has goop that keeps closing its eye. I wipe it with warm salt water would that be the reason why it's skinner then normal?

By Joseph

Your cat needs to see a vet. Rubbing the eye with salt water is a good idea, but it's not causing the weight loss. It sounds like worms and/or an infection. See the vet!

September 17, 2013 Flag

I have three kittens which are about 6 weeks old, there is pus in their eyes, and each time they sleep, they stick shut. I put a warm compress on them to open their eyes, but it does not help much. I just don't know what happened to their eyes. I've had kittens before with cold in their eyes, and treatment took care of them. I don't know what to do for these poor babies.

By Jacqueline

" If the discharge coming from your kittys nose is green//yellow, this indicates infection and kitty will need antibiotics. Clavamox oral suspension is an excellent antibiotic for kitties and you may obtain it without a prescription from this online drug store:

Be sure to buy the oral suspension: 50/12.5mg/ml. Kittens receive ¼ ml twice per day. Kitties 5-7lbs receive 1/2 ml twice per day. Over 7lbs receive 1ml twice per day.

If there is no time to wait for a shipment of meds to come in, you can go to most pet and aquarium stores and buy Fish Mox, in the fish section, which is Amoxicillin.

Important mixing instructions: You will need a small bottle to mix & keep the medication in. If you buy the 250mg Fish Mox, crush the pill, then dilute it with 5ml of water in the bottle & mix well. For the 500mg crush the pill then mix it with 10ml of water. This dilutes the Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) to 50mg per 1ml which is the same dosage one gets from the vet. Kittens under 5lbs receive .25ml 2 x per day & kitties over 5lbs receive .50ml 2 x per day. Large kitties apx 10lbs receive 1ml

Many times cats will slow down and/or completely stop eating and drinking when they have URI. It is imperative you watch your kitty closely as dehydration sets in very quickly and can kill them if not treated immediately!"

The following is an excellent site I go to for cat advice.

Many of my cats are suffering from allergies colds, as I took them in as fosters and they did not get the best start in life.

December 20, 2013 Flag

I have kittens that are 2 weeks old. One kitten has 1 eye open and the other eye is swollen with pus coming out of it. What can I do at home because I can't afford a vet bill?

By Patricia from West Palm Beach, FL

if you do not have the money to properly take care of these kittens then you should go surrender them to the nearest local Humane Society, with the mother. At the very least you need to have the mother spayed.

January 2, 2016 Flag

I'm looking for help with my cat's eye problem. He is a 5 months old, a little troublemaker, and every now and then his eyes start to discharge some stretchy, milky white goo that looks like mucus. If I don't clean them the goo starts to cover his eyeballs. Prior to this there's usually some tears from his eyes, and followed by an infection.

We've seen the vet several times in the past months, and he said that something is irritating my kitten's eyes, he tries to clean it with his paws and there comes the infection. Antibiotics cure it, but it's always coming back, so the vet said the infection is a result, not a cause of this discharge.

I've tried to eliminate every factor that could irritate his eyes like cigarette smoke and dust, but the goo is still coming sometimes. We got some eyedrops with mild steroids in it to ease the itching and it seems to work, but I'm a little worried about all this medication. My kitten looks good, have an apetite, and is as playful as ever, but the problem is still present.

So my question is, have any of you ever encountered this kind of a problem, or any idea what causes this discharge?

closeup of kitten's eyes

As a seasoned cat rescuer, I'd say i\It's likely that your kitty is allergic to his litter. Many litters on the market have harsh perfumes and dust that trigger allergies in the eyes, nasal passages, and lungs. I would recommend that you make a change to a dust-free and fragrance-free product (baking soda added helps with the smells) for his litter boxes. Vacuum and clean around his litter area daily to keep down the dust. We solved this eye problem in our Rescue kitties, by changing the type of litter, brushing our kitties daily, and cleansing the inflamed eye area with a Vet approved eye solution. His pet beds should have washable linings ........we line our cat beds with old quilted placemats, and launder them weekly. Glad you have a vet that's monitoring his eye health. Good Luck!

July 26, 2015 Flag

My six week old kitten has this green gooey eye booger stuff in his eyes and every time he closes them they stick shut. I've been cleaning them with a paper towel and warm water. It helps a bit, but then I have to clean them again. I don't know what to do or what he has. Help?

You can use triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) in the cats eyes. Use it 4 times a day. It is better than nothing, but a trip to the Vet would be best. If not treated this can cause blindness.

Load More
Pets HealthApril 9, 2013
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies