Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Category Health
Some pet ailments can safely be treated at home whereas others need to be referred to a vet to determine the cause and proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with eye discharge.

I have three kittens which are about 6 weeks old, there is pus in their eyes, and each time they sleep, they stick shut. I put a warm compress on them to open their eyes, but it does not help much. I just don't know what happened to their eyes. I've had kittens before with cold in their eyes, and treatment took care of them. I don't know what to do for these poor babies.

By Jacqueline

Answer Was this helpful? 3

how can get reed of the puss in there eyes ?

I have recently came across 2 male kittens approximately 8 weeks old. One has a little discharge and closure to the eye. He has no foul smell, nor does he seem to be sneezing or coughing. What can I do to help the kitten?

I am not working, so I do not have the money to take it to the vet. Can someone give me suggestions? I want to be able to take care of him. He is very sweet.

By Stormie0122 from New Kensington, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I have kittens that have pus stuff coming out of there eyes. They are about 6 weeks old.

I rescued a 5 week old kitten from the shelter, he has watery eyes and is sneezing. He does not have any colored discharge, but he is not eating or drinking his water. I don't know what to do. I am afraid he will die from dehydration.

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. He still has watery eyes, and he still sneezes but not as much. He is running around and eating and playing. I gave him kitten milk and water by bottle. As for the shelter they wont take him back, they knew that he was sick.

He is doing great ...I am still taking him to the vet, we have an appointment

What do I do to treat my Siamese kitten's eye discharge?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I have found that weak tea from instant is best. Tea bags are too strong. Just enough to lightly tint the water. Apply with a saturated cotton ball. If it gets gunky, just reapply with a clean ball. Discharge is usually gone by the next day. Brand doesn't matter.

I have a beautiful baby girl kitten who is about 6 to 8 wks old and she has now ended up with some kind of eye discharge! Sometimes she has pale puss pour out when I clean her eye and sometimes it just sticks. There is no odor, nor blood showing in it. It is not yellow or green, but kinda grayish and it's puss.

I'm in no position to go to a vet as I don't get paid for 3 weeks and I have no funds. Is there anything I can do for her at home? She is one of four kittens brought to me after the mother cat disappeared and was gone for 3 days. Those people tried to keep the babies going on regular milk till momma came back, but she never came back :(

Anyhow the babies were, give or take, 2 weeks old when I got them. Their eyes were just freshly opened. Anyhow I had them a week or so and the babies were doing great then "Bam" they nose dived. I lost one on a Saturday, then one the next week, and then my other sweet girl passed away just a hour after I checked them and made them potty. We headed home and it was time to feed them anyways, but by the time we made it home she had passed away.

So I'm left with my oh so very sweet miss Charlie and she is doing great except for this eye crap. The mother cat was found a few days after I was given the kittens and she was dead :( We suspect that she was poisoned with rat poison cause there are idiot fools out here in our park that don't like cats :(

Charlie also had what looked like cradle cap on her belly, her butt, and lady parts, and her hind legs. I cleaned her often and I put some baby petroleum jelly on those areas, she now has no cradle cap and the fur in those areas is also gone?!

I'm only wondering WTH is really going on here? I do wildlife rehabbing for our area and I've had several orphaned babies and never have I seen this before. Anyhow I keep her well cleaned and I'm just dumbfounded at all this.

Can someone please tell what I can do for my oh so very sweet Charlie's eye? I will be making a visit to my vet just as soon as I can. But I'd like to help her now.
Thank you kindly.

go to thecatsite.com and good luck

I am looking for a home remedy for baby kittens with their eyes stuck shut from discharge.

Use a cotton ball and warm water only. Contact your vet. More than one kitten has this, and you don't want this to spread to the entire litter.

My kitten has discharge coming from its eye. What should I do?

By Shekia O.

Best Answer

A kitty's eye discharge could be for many reasons (eye infection, internal problem, etc.) and should be examined by a veterinarian for correct treatment. If you do not take your kitty to a vet for help now, the problem can become worse and much more difficult (and costly!) to treat.

I have kittens that are 2 weeks old. One kitten has 1 eye open and the other eye is swollen with pus coming out of it. What can I do at home because I can't afford a vet bill?

By Patricia from West Palm Beach, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

I do not believe you have just surrender them I would try the organic stuff if that does not work I will call a vet and see what they can help you with some will give you a bill and pay payments .

but I would do your resources i wpuld not get rid of the beautiful babies that are in love with you as much as you are in love with them.

Vet bills can be very very high to the point they make it so people can't feed their animals or their selfs because people do not have the money to pay tons of money to a vet does not mean they don't love and take care of their animals .

I raise many kids and my own and everybody else's with tons of animals that came with them or they wanted and I take them to the vet for their needs and almost lost my home cuz of it and I would not ever lose my kids nor my animals over very high vet bills .

,They have resources out there Google them and go through them but if you love your animals and you feed them in give them love in the shots but they need only then you're doing the right thing I grew up in the sixties have never ever in my wife given so much stuff that a deadlights to give your pet now and they live forever I have a bird that's 39 years-old and he does not go to the vet unless necessary when he was a baby he went to the bet you sick all the time is not been to the vet 30yrs Unless hes really sick .

Same as my dogs they get what they need .

I use white vinegar and water rabbit on my dogs they've never had one please sense and I've been doing that over 20 years .

Saying that please never tell somebody to give their pets away unless you know the situation totally .

,It is not always the best for somebody else to take you in and because they have more money that's all I have to say God-bless

I have a kitten that is skinnier than normal. It walks around sometimes, but just lays around most of the time. It also has goop that keeps closing its eye. I wipe it with warm salt water would that be the reason why it's skinner then normal?

By Joseph

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Your cat needs to see a vet. Rubbing the eye with salt water is a good idea, but it's not causing the weight loss. It sounds like worms and/or an infection. See the vet!

My cat had kittens 2 weeks ago. One of the four has cold in their eye. I have tried using warm milk and it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

By Sam J

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hello,

Kittens are so nice to have around!

I know how difficult it can be to take our animals to the vet unless we feel sure it is very necessary.

I can remember having to learn when to take a child to the doctor and when to try old fashioned remedies.

I have found that kittens are sometimes prone to having a yellow discharge from their eyes that may not be serious.

. I always mixed a small amount of Epson salt or just regular salt in a cup of hot water (Sea salt is really good also).

Let the water warm! and then dip a small cotton square or a very clean piece of WHITE cloth in the warm water and DAB it gently on the kittens eyes (both eyes). Be very gentle. Don't worry if you do not remove all of the yellow gunk. Just be sure to use a clean area of the pad each time so that you do not spread the infection.

Throw all used material away.

You will have to do this several times a day for 2 or 3 days and then slack off to maybe 2 times a day until the yellow does not come back. Just be sure to make fresh salt water and use only clean pads.

This may take time so be patient. This may be contagious so keep an eye on the other kittens.

You could also Google this question and see what others suggest.

This always worked for me but if there is no improvement then it would be best to try and take them to the vet.

Animals are precious and I am glad you are trying to find help.

My kittens have sore eyes. What can I do for them?

Kittens frequently get eye infections. You will need to see a veterinarian for the proper medicine. If it is not treated they can go blind. Don't wait it gets worse rather quickly.

A kitten found me. She must have known she needed help because she has not been handled by any humans. She just meowed her little heart out until I found her, scared and shivering, next to a chain link fence in my neighborhood. She looks completely blind in her left eye, it has the milky white look. It is also red like it's infected and she still has discharge coming from it as well. I've tried to get a better look, but she's still too skittish. I really can't afford a vet and am too scared to give her to the SPCA; it would break my heart if they put her down because they couldn't find her a home. I am positive she will not see out of this eye. Is there anything I can do at home to treat her or try to see if a vet will help me since it is a stray I am willing to keep? Besides her eye, she seems in good health.

By Brittney H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

There are ointments for eyes available from Valley Vet Supply, on the Web. They are for bacterial infections. these are common in kittens. They are not too expensive. You should consider a trip to the Vet. You seem to really care for this kitten, but probably have not budgeted for the expense.

Vets usually have a pay over time program available. Let them know you need to know in advance what the cost will be and see if you cant make just one trip. Kittens need a distemper vaccination especially. just one or two last a lifetime. You will also need to find a way to have her spayed in a few months.

Many local rescue groups will do this for a minimal amount. Also be sure and check with you local humane society to see if they have low cost Vet care available. Anyway, check out Valley Vet Supply, they will have the wormer you will need also. Continue to keep you kittens eye cleaned up. You may be surprised to see the ointment clear it completely. I have seen cats eyes clear that were dead white with infection. Good luck to you.

My kitten has stuff coming out her eye and I was wondering if I could put Vaseline on it cause I think she has an eye infection. I will be booking an appointment with her vet soon, but in the meantime would it be OK if I just put Vaseline on temporally?

Please take your cat to a vet ASAP. This is not something to self-treat or you could very well end up with a blind cat in a very short time.

I rescued a kitten that had terrible fleas so bathed her with a little Dawn and rinsed her well. The fleas are gone. I hope the eggs are too. The real problem now is that she has a little matter coming out of the corners of her eyes. Is this something I can address at home now? We plan to take her to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment (It's Sunday and they're closed).

Getting rid of the fleas was important. I have seen fleas kill small kittens. Most small kittens have an eye infection so you will need ointment from your Vet. You can gently wipe the matter away with a warm wet washcloth. That helps, but she will need to be treated. Blindness can result if she is not treated. A day or two delay will not matter too much. Good luck to you.

I found a mother cat and her kittens outside under my step and they are 13 days old. One kitten has a green mucous type discharge coming out of one eye and it can't open the other eye because it is all crusty, do I need to take it to the vet?

By Pam D

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I do lots of different things when my foster kittens get this very common infection. Now I would find a feed store or order online Vetricyn. http://vetericy  efits/feline.php

It is able to be sprayed into the eye and it helps heal wounds and such.

I keep them wiped clean. I actually would save amoxillin that I had and give that to them according to the dosages that kittens need.

I would figure out the weight of the cat and then calculate the proper dose. I would also use azithromax, if I had any available. When I divided the pill or powder after crushing it, into as many parts as needed to be to be the proper dosage, I would put it in a pet pocket treat that you can buy from the vets. It is hard if the cat will not eat the pill pocket for you. Kittens always get these eye infections. If you are having trouble with it and it doesn't get better take it to the vet.

As a matter of fact, it is easier to take to the vet in the first place and recommended, unless you are a rescue taking in hundreds of cats. It is really easier to get a rx from the vet than to go through all the trouble of figuring out dosages etc. Wipe the eye gently with warm water and when you can take him to the vet.

Bless their little hearts!

Here are some additional links:

http://earthcli  junctivitis.html

http://www.yout  ac.1.7p2GNbYz6Xo

Blessings!

Robyn from Tennessee

My six week old kitten has this green gooey eye booger stuff in his eyes and every time he closes them they stick shut. I've been cleaning them with a paper towel and warm water. It helps a bit, but then I have to clean them again. I don't know what to do or what he has. Help?

You can use triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) in the cats eyes. Use it 4 times a day. It is better than nothing, but a trip to the Vet would be best. If not treated this can cause blindness.

I'm looking for help with my cat's eye problem. He is a 5 months old, a little troublemaker, and every now and then his eyes start to discharge some stretchy, milky white goo that looks like mucus. If I don't clean them the goo starts to cover his eyeballs. Prior to this there's usually some tears from his eyes, and followed by an infection.

We've seen the vet several times in the past months, and he said that something is irritating my kitten's eyes, he tries to clean it with his paws and there comes the infection. Antibiotics cure it, but it's always coming back, so the vet said the infection is a result, not a cause of this discharge.

I've tried to eliminate every factor that could irritate his eyes like cigarette smoke and dust, but the goo is still coming sometimes. We got some eyedrops with mild steroids in it to ease the itching and it seems to work, but I'm a little worried about all this medication. My kitten looks good, have an apetite, and is as playful as ever, but the problem is still present.

So my question is, have any of you ever encountered this kind of a problem, or any idea what causes this discharge?

Anonymous

As a seasoned cat rescuer, I'd say i\It's likely that your kitty is allergic to his litter. Many litters on the market have harsh perfumes and dust that trigger allergies in the eyes, nasal passages, and lungs. I would recommend that you make a change to a dust-free and fragrance-free product (baking soda added helps with the smells) for his litter boxes. Vacuum and clean around his litter area daily to keep down the dust. We solved this eye problem in our Rescue kitties, by changing the type of litter, brushing our kitties daily, and cleansing the inflamed eye area with a Vet approved eye solution. His pet beds should have washable linings ........we line our cat beds with old quilted placemats, and launder them weekly. Glad you have a vet that's monitoring his eye health. Good Luck!

Our cat had 6 kittens 5 days ago and their eyes aren't even open yet, but one of them has a swollen eye with some discharge, the cheek below that eye is a little swollen too. Should I take him to the vet or will warm water and neosporin be enough treatment for now?

I would take him to the vet. A kitten this young is very vulnerable and the infection could spread or at the very least he could lose the sight in that eye.

What has happened if my cat Sisi has gunk in his eyes? He has cloudyness and it is really building up. He itches them every day.

By Vannesa R.

Get the cat to a vet ASAP.

My cat has eye gunk, much like a humans, crusty, and yellow, but not super yellow. Only after I wake her up does she get this. I use a warm cloth to wipe her eyes and it vanishes. As soon as she goes to sleep and wakes back up it's back and she can no longer open her eyes. I then have to repeat the process.

I found her at my shipyard. She's about 4-5 weeks old, very active, eating solid food like she already knew how, drinking plenty of water, and goes pee in a litter box on her own. She hasn't pooped yet.

I've tried stimulating her (even after reading that she shouldnt need to be stimulated.) I don't really want a vet bill so I'm asking what to do on here first. I've had her for about two days and this is the first cat I've owned. If I have to bring her to the vet I will, but I just wanted some advice before iI rack up a pricey vet bill.

One simple vet visit shouldn't be hugely expensive. My vet charges between thirty and forty dollars and you'd probably get the eye drops thrown in. This depends on where you live.

The eyes shouldn't be crusting over or gluing shut. Many kittens are born with eye infections. They get it from bacteria while passing through the birth canal. Unfortunately, this weakens the kitten as it is an infection and the immune system is fighting it. The cat could potentially lose sight in one or both eyes if the infection isn't cleared up.

A vet can prescribe simple antibiotics in drops or a gel. They'll also administer dewormer. No doubt your cat, like most rescued kittens, has parasites. They further weaken the cat.

Another point: You will need to have a series of vaccines for your cat to prevent serious illnesses they are likely to get. Each of the shots will be a separate visit. You also need to save up for a spay or get a voucher for discounted spay based on your income level.

If the cat is out of your budget right now, consider giving up to a local rescue organization. They will spay, vaccinate and deworm the kitten and adopt it to a good home. Kittens are cute and easy to adopt out.

If you decide to keep the kitten, be realistic about the expenses you will incur. Your cat doesn't need designer anything, but basic vet care is necessary.

About three days ago I found a kitten in my back yard, and I kept her. When we first got her she was fine, then her eyes started crusting shut! To keep her clean I have to wash her eyes with a washcloth three times a day! It doesn't seem like eye discharge, but I can't think of anything else that it would be, what do I do?

Your kitty may have an eye infection that definitely needs treatment. Please take her to your vet immediately. Delaying treatment can worsen the problem and your kitty will suffer needlessly.

I just found a kitten outside, it looks like it was an outside kitten with other kittens around. I have never owned a cat before! She looks to be very young, when I brought her home I noticed a little bit of green drainage coming out of her left eye, it's two days later after bringing her home and she still has it. Also, this morning she vomited up what looked to be her kitty food on the floor. I have no money right this minute to take her to the vet. I also have a one year old child that has been around her. Is this bad for her? Also, not sure what to do about the kitty. Please help!

Cheri from USA

You are such a sweetheart for taking this kitty in. I can help you hun. The eye drainage may be due to a cold - but even if that's not the case - you may use Terramycin Ointment on the eye(s)...it starts to work immediately and if you don't wanna get it at an expensive vet there are places that sell it like Tractor Supply...(places that sell meds for animals - even horses...they are like farm supply stores but are so great with ALL animals and pets for all needs, incl. medical needs) - Also, the reason lil' kitty vomitted up her food is simply cuz' she/he was so excited to have good food placed in front of it ... it simply ate too fast and therefore threw it up - I have worked at 3 vet clinics...God Love yah hun and God Bless...P.S. If there is no worm (ringworm) or fleas present, you and your lil' child should be just fine...Jodie Erica... Oh, and if there is ringworm or fleas present - those situations can be taken care of without hurting you or your lil' one...Good Luck Hunz

My kitten suddenly developed a water eye. It looks a little more pinkish than the other one. He also squints it from time to time. He doesn't seem to be in pain or sick as he is playing as usual, eating as usual, and hasn't sneezed. He is not rubbing his eye either. Now I have noticed a discharge which wasn't clear or watery, but it was slightly clumpy and had a very very light yellow color to it (which he also gets from time to time). So from what I researched it looks like conjunctivitis or some particle went in his eye, like litter box dust? What should I do to help him at home?
Please help.
Thank you.

By Bella

You can't home treat it. At least, not until your vet has ruled out an eye infection. If it is an infection, you'll have to get antibiotic drops or eye wash, or else the kitten can lose sight in that eye. Since there's no way you can know for sure what it is by looking at it, please take the kitten to the vet.

My family and I are currently taking care of some stray cats. However one cat who is about a year old has some discharge from her eye and she can't open it. She is also not eating.

Load More