Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Some pet ailments can safely be treated at home whereas others need to be referred to a vet to determine the cause and proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with eye discharge.

Kitten
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My kitten has discharge coming from its eye. What should I do?

By Shekia O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A kitty's eye discharge could be for many reasons (eye infection, internal problem, etc.) and should be examined by a veterinarian for correct treatment. If you do not take your kitty to a vet for help now, the problem can become worse and much more difficult (and costly!) to treat.

Read More Answers...

closeup of cat's eyeMy cat has a crusty eye, chin, and upper jaw. What is it? How do we get rid of it? The cat has been taken to the vet twice, given eye wash, an extended round of Prednisolone 5 MG, and two rounds of Neo Poly Dex Opth Ointment. Yet the black crusty stuff just keeps coming back. He has been treated with Neosporin, but will rub his face until it's all gone. What is this from? And what do we do to make it stop? He occasionally walks around with his eye almost closed, which is worrying us.
closeup of chin and jaw

By Benson

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My cat had this. It is called eosinophilic granuloma. They gave him Atopica to treat it. It is given daily at first then you space it to every other day until you get to once a week. If you have any questions email me

Read More Answers...

I have a kitten that is skinnier than normal. It walks around sometimes, but just lays around most of the time. It also has goop that keeps closing its eye. I wipe it with warm salt water would that be the reason why it's skinner then normal?

By Joseph

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It sounds like your kitten has not seen a Vet. It is very important that you get the kitten to a Vet asap. The eye condition is common in kittens, but must be treated or the kitten may go blind. The "skinny" problem may be worms. Worms and fleas rob the kitten of the nutrition and energy. If not corrected, kittens can die.

A kitten needs a distemper shot to avoid a serious and deadly disease. The distemper vaccine has been implicated in early kidney disease, so I only get the initial shot for my kittens. Some Vets will advise a yearly shot. Until the vaccine is changed to avoid the kidney problem, I stop with one shot. If you cannot afford a Vet, check with your local humane society for low cost Vet visits.

Also local cat rescues can help with Vet care. You can find local pet rescues on petfinder.com. Or you may just be able to call a local Vet and tell them you haven't the money for a full visit. My Vet has a fund for this type of visit. Vets are aware of this problem. Good for you for taking in this kitten and caring enough to work to get her the help she needs. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

I have three kittens which are about 6 weeks old, there is pus in their eyes, and each time they sleep, they stick shut. I put a warm compress on them to open their eyes, but it does not help much. I just don't know what happened to their eyes. I've had kittens before with cold in their eyes, and treatment took care of them. I don't know what to do for these poor babies.

By Jacqueline

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is the link for the vetricyn opth. gel

http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-BC0 ... acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It is really awesome!

Read More Answers...

I found a kitten. It looks like his mom abandoned him. His eyes were shut and he had crust on his eyes. I cleaned it with warm water and his eyes are red and puffy. Should I take him to the vet or is it normal because the mom cat didn't clean his eyes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The cat has an eye infection. It may also have worms, fleas, mites, etc.

Since you don't know, take your kitten to the veterinarian. The vet will get your cat set up with worm medicine, eye medicine and all that stuff. If he's old enough he'll start his vaccinations for dangerous illnesses such as rabies. You can make an appointment for a spay or neuter. Next, go shopping for a breakaway kitten collar. The vet can get you tags. Now is the time to think of a name for your kitty. With a name and phone number on his tag, everyone will know he's yours.

Read More Answers...

I'm looking for help with my cat's eye problem. He is a 5 months old, a little troublemaker, and every now and then his eyes start to discharge some stretchy, milky white goo that looks like mucus. If I don't clean them the goo starts to cover his eyeballs. Prior to this there's usually some tears from his eyes, and followed by an infection.

We've seen the vet several times in the past months, and he said that something is irritating my kitten's eyes, he tries to clean it with his paws and there comes the infection. Antibiotics cure it, but it's always coming back, so the vet said the infection is a result, not a cause of this discharge.

I've tried to eliminate every factor that could irritate his eyes like cigarette smoke and dust, but the goo is still coming sometimes. We got some eyedrops with mild steroids in it to ease the itching and it seems to work, but I'm a little worried about all this medication. My kitten looks good, have an apetite, and is as playful as ever, but the problem is still present.

So my question is, have any of you ever encountered this kind of a problem, or any idea what causes this discharge?

closeup of kitten's eyes
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

01/03/2016 Flag

A vet approved anti-biotic should help cure the infection in the eyes. As a seasoned cat rescuer, I'd say it's likely that your kitty is allergic to his litter. Many litters on the market have harsh perfumes and dust that trigger allergies in the eyes, nasal passages, and lungs. I would recommend that you make a change to a dust-free and fragrance-free product (baking soda added helps with the smells) for his litter boxes. Vacuum and clean around his litter area daily to keep down the dust. We solved this eye problem in our Rescue kitties, by changing the type of litter, brushing and combing our kitties daily, and cleansing the inflamed eye area with a Vet-approved eye solution. His pet beds should have washable linings .... we line our cat beds with old quilted placemats that we launder weekly.

We also feed our cats a chicken-based wet and kibble food (treats caused them to vomit) and we use only stainless steel or Pyrex bowls, as plastic ones scratch and are toxic, causing inflamation around the eyes and mouth. Glad you have a vet that's monitoring his eye health. Good Luck!

I have kittens that are 2 weeks old. One kitten has 1 eye open and the other eye is swollen with pus coming out of it. What can I do at home because I can't afford a vet bill?

By Patricia from West Palm Beach, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I usually take a wash cloth wet it with warm water and put just a tiny bit of antibacterial soap on it, (very little) and clear the eyes. This sounds like an infection which can get the other kitties infected. If you use E*ay (i have bought the medicine needed on there for this problem, it is Terramycin 3.5 g tube it is by Pfizer and from another country even though the seller was here in the us. You will still need this to help with the infection. Check the exp date on any that anyone is selling on there before buying or bidding.

Read More Answers...

My 3 week old kittens have something wrong with their eyes. They keep closing up with crust.

Jeanine from Barnegat, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My cat has eyelashes on her inner eyelids which scratch her eyes and cause them to cloud over and become infected--the vet sold me a tiny tube of Butler Neo-Poly-Bac, a triple antibiotic, for $28. I noticed Neosporin has the same ingredients but a few extra, like cottonseed oil, that seems to me might burn in the eyes, but the Walmart brand triple-antibotic "Equate" has the exact same ingredients as the Butler without the extras and you can get a huge tube for $2.57. I haven't tried it yet, but, y'know, if it works, geez, what a frickin' waste of money.

Read More Answers...

Our cat had 6 kittens 5 days ago and their eyes aren't even open yet, but one of them has a swollen eye with some discharge, the cheek below that eye is a little swollen too. Should I take him to the vet or will warm water and neosporin be enough treatment for now?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Eye infections are common in kittens. However, antibiotics must be prescribed. If it is not treated properly the kitten could lose sight in the eye. If you had an infection in your eye, you would probably not just put Neosporin on it. At least I hope not.

Read More Answers...

black and white kitten in cat bedMy kitten has stuff coming out her eye and I was wondering if I could put Vaseline on it cause I think she has an eye infection. I will be booking an appointment with her vet soon, but in the meantime would it be OK if I just put Vaseline on temporally?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vaseline does bad things to your eyes, it wouldn't help your cat's eyes either.

Cat's eyes make a lot of mucus. Adult cats clean this away, and you never notice it. Kittens don't know how to clean themselves properly, and the mother cat doesn't always get to it, so the gunk builds up.

A warm wet cloth can clear the gunk away, though it will likely return. A tea bag is often used, as it makes a cheap one shot sponge. Throw it away to keep things sanitary. The tea also helps to break up the gunk.

However, a full blown eye infection is very much a possibility. In such cases, treatment is best left to a vet.

Read More Answers...

My six week old kitten has this green gooey eye booger stuff in his eyes and every time he closes them they stick shut. I've been cleaning them with a paper towel and warm water. It helps a bit, but then I have to clean them again. I don't know what to do or what he has. Help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) in the cats eyes. Use it 4 times a day. It is better than nothing, but a trip to the Vet would be best. If not treated this can cause blindness.

Read More Answers...

I live in the country and a cat had kittens in one of my out buildings. I have noticed that the mother seems to have a cold; she is sneezing. The six kittens, 4-6 weeks old, are sneezing also and all, but one has one eye closed. The smallest one has a yellowy discharge and many flies are swarming around it. A vet is an expense I can't manage right now. What home remedy can I give to the mom and litter. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good advice from Abigail. Remember if you cannot manage the cats, you can take them to a no kill shelter and they will care for them. If the kittens get used to humans at this young age, they can be adopted out after they are neutered. You can do a lot of good for this little family. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

My cat has eye gunk, much like a humans, crusty, and yellow, but not super yellow. Only after I wake her up does she get this. I use a warm cloth to wipe her eyes and it vanishes. As soon as she goes to sleep and wakes back up it's back and she can no longer open her eyes. I then have to repeat the process.

I found her at my shipyard. She's about 4-5 weeks old, very active, eating solid food like she already knew how, drinking plenty of water, and goes pee in a litter box on her own. She hasn't pooped yet.

I've tried stimulating her (even after reading that she shouldnt need to be stimulated.) I don't really want a vet bill so I'm asking what to do on here first. I've had her for about two days and this is the first cat I've owned. If I have to bring her to the vet I will, but I just wanted some advice before iI rack up a pricey vet bill.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How nice!

Your first kitten - sorry you are having a problem with taking care of your new found friend.

Since the kitten is so young, I agree that you should try to make a visit to the vet. Any animal can sometimes be costly to properly take care of but I believe they are usually worth the price.

We have "always" had cats and dogs but I remember when my oldest son "found" his first kitten and fell in love. She lived with him for almost 20 years and I am sure he never regretted a single dime he spent on her.

I live in an area that has a "vet" service in our Humane Society that offers many services for much less money but we also have a private animal "clinic" where services are about 1/3 the cost of a regular vet - especially when it comes to spa and neutering.

Their services are only available on certain days and it is "first come first serve" so it does take most of your day.

You might check something like this if you have time.

Anyway, it seems you have rescued this kitten from a sure death, so I hope you can find a reasonable vet and will be able to share your life with a loving little creature.

Read More Answers...

About three days ago I found a kitten in my back yard, and I kept her. When we first got her she was fine, then her eyes started crusting shut! To keep her clean I have to wash her eyes with a washcloth three times a day! It doesn't seem like eye discharge, but I can't think of anything else that it would be, what do I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The vet will probably prescribe an antibiotic that is used in the eyes a few times a day. You can also find out if your kitten is old enough to start vaccinations, and schedule your spay or neuter.

Read More Answers...

What has happened if my cat Sisi has gunk in his eyes? He has cloudyness and it is really building up. He itches them every day.

By Vannesa R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

An eye infection, or upper respiratory infection. This needs to be treated. If you get it treated right away, it's possible there won't be any loss of vision, but that will depend on what it is.

Read More Answers...

My cat had kittens 2 weeks ago. One of the four has cold in their eye. I have tried using warm milk and it didn't work.

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                Load More
                Pets HealthApril 9, 2013
                One Month Old Kittens
                Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
                Flea Bath
                Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
                Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
                Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
                Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
                Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies
                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 12:02:26 AM on 10.0.0.38 in 713 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.