Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

My puppy has parvo we have been treating him with IV and antibiotics just like vet told us. This started on a Thursday and now it's Monday and he showing little sign of improvement. He is drinking water on his own now. Do you think he might be getting over it? How long does parvo last?

By Rosie from Fresno, CA

Best Answer

Hi, I think it will take a week to 10 days for your dog to get its strength back. Introduce food slowly as the stomach may have shrunk a bit and will be quite tender. Also be careful about the amount of running around you allow for a few days as although the dog might be feeling better it could tire easily. Just keep doing what you are doing the main thing is that you have got through the crisis. That is not easy, I remember not having any sleep for about 3 days! well done

My dog Hendrix just got tested positive for Parvovirus yesterday morning. We are doing the at home treatment, and they gave us antibiotics shots (four doses, once a day) Also, a bunch of oral antivomiting medicine and also an IV you stick into their skin and it pumps the water in the skin.

My question is, he has had two days of treatment so far, (he was sick about 3 days before we took him to vet) and he is pooping randomly, bloody and nothing but runny.

Is that normal? He has shown signs of improvement so far. More alert and today has tried to kind of stand up twice. Is this normal recovery? What is something to worry about if I see? Thank you in advance. - pet owner Chisa

My pups born February 19th diagnosed April 23.

I foster these pups and so far 2 have died out of 5 from this litter I am also fostering Chihuahua mix pups born January 25 so far as I started the meds the 25th with pedialyte as their water and cooking high protein food eggs, Turkey, Lamb so far non from the Chihuahua group have passed and two pits are still eating and drinking, but like I said all are being treated before symptoms.

I'm using a ringer and anti-vomiting (metoclopramide) anti biotic (spectinomycin). so far 2 pit pups have died since diagnosed. One Saturday and one today Thursday and one fighting hard.

This desease mutates so depend on the strand and breed this weighs heavy on the out come.

Pets Dogs HealthNovember 23, 2010
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Heart Patient with Doctor
Open Heart Surgery Recovery Advice for Patient's Family
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎉
🎄