Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Category Health
A sick dog sleeping, with a close up of his mouth and nose.
When caring for a pet with parvo, many owners would like to know the average recovery time for an infected pup. This is a guide about recovery time for dog with parvo.

I just came home from the vet with my dog. She has pravo. She is breathing really slow and I have been giving her Pedialite in a syringe. When will she get better?

By Keta

Answers

Best Answer

From what I have learned from experience depends on how bad your dog has Parvo. It can be 2-6 months to get over it.

Please don't give up or frustrated with your dog as they go through this. It is very hard on them. Plus they can die from Parvo without steady care.

My puppy has parvo we have been treating him with IV and antibiotics just like vet told us. This started on a Thursday and now it's Monday and he showing little sign of improvement. He is drinking water on his own now. Do you think he might be getting over it? How long does parvo last?

By Rosie from Fresno, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I think it will take a week to 10 days for your dog to get its strength back. Introduce food slowly as the stomach may have shrunk a bit and will be quite tender. Also be careful about the amount of running around you allow for a few days as although the dog might be feeling better it could tire easily. Just keep doing what you are doing the main thing is that you have got through the crisis. That is not easy, I remember not having any sleep for about 3 days! well done

My baby girl Sasha is about 2 and half years old and she got parvo, how she got it I don't know. She has not been in contact with other dogs or feces for that matter, but she got it. She has been with the vet for a week now and she is still the same. My question is what are her chances of surviving this. Her puppy got it cuz of her and she is now eating and drinking, but still at the hospital. I'm really worried about Sasha. Please what can you tell me? Sasha is the white one.

Answers

Parvo can last a few weeks. If your dog is drinking she has a chance. What does the vet say?

The vet can keep you up to date but if she's there and stable, it can take up to a month for it to clear.

It used to be that dogs who got parvo did not live. Its only been in the past few years that medical vet services have developed to the point that many now survive. However, it can take a couple months.

Many people think that Parvo is a virus that only affects puppies but that is not the case - as you have experienced. Dogs that have survived a week or longer (and with a vet) will most likely survive but total recovery time is long.

From what I have read about this virus, the older dog has a better immune system than a puppy and perhaps would not be affected as much as a younger dog - unless - they have other health problems.

Hopefully you will be seeing great improvement in both dogs and your vet should be able to answer any questions about any problems either dog is having.

Cleaning up any area the dogs have been is a big job so I hope you have information on what steps to take before you bring your doggies home.

here is a link to a site that has a lot of information about this virus.

http://www.2ndc  e.info/parvo.htm

My dog is a year old, he just came down with it, give him amoxicillin, Pedialyte, around the clock. He is coming back to us, keep them hydrated, give lots of love, force food, I gave my dog a syringe of bacon fat, egg whites, around the clock, also I made salt packs, you have to have help with this, put alot of salt in a cup add alittle water until it gets thick, put on gloves, you and your helper hold mouth open and put a hefty amount on spoon and force mouth get him to swallow it, even if he spits some out, he is going to shake and fuss, but the salt kills infection, it makes your dog drink water, a vet told me to do this, my dog was vomiting and lifeless, he is barking, we are so happy

Hi! This SAME situation

Is happening with my dog she's been battling for almost a week with little recovery. Did you dog make it? If so how long did it take and is throwing up on the 5th day still normal?! Thank you

Hi! Just wondering if your little guy survived. My dog is currently on day 5 at the vet and still won't eat or drink

My dog also caught the parvo virus. She was admitted in the hospital for 6 days and is home with us. Its been more than.a week.and we still.force feed her. She started vomiting white foam though. Should I be alarmed?

My 4 month old puppy is on day 12 of parvo. She was at the vet's for 10 days, with IV's and a plasma infusion. She's home now, but recovery is going to be hard. She was thin going in- extremely active. She had had all her vaccinations. Vet said it was a strain that was incredibly harsh. Worst parvo she'd seen in 20 years. Now I'm feeding a high calorie gel, along with blue buffalo basics wet puppy food. Truly hoping we can get weight back on, and diarrhea is still an issue, even though it's not bloody anymore. Good luck!

We are on day 8th he still isn't eating we are force feeding him 1tbsp an hour during the day and he take pain meds, anti nausea, anti acide, antibiotics and saline poutches under the skin to make sure he stays hydrated but he drinks now ... we got a long road but he will pull through wort part after he's out the woods is hydration !! Super important

Good luck

My 5 month of pup just started eating on the 6th day of this ugly virus. Give him some more time, he'll come around. Hope he feels better

On June 24th I took my new Lab Skoal to the vet and found out he has parvo. I bought the IV fluid and connector and needles giving him 150mL twice a day. He's on antivomiting pills and antibiotics. I'm also giving him 5ml of Pedialyte 6-8 times a day and white rice with chicken. He never stopped eating, but he did stop drinking on the first day. He has had diarrhea, but sometimes its thicker than others. Today is the 4th day and I got the first tiny very small bloody stool.

Today he showed so much activity he was barking and growling and pouncing. He was acting so normal I felt like he is at the end of this horrible road. My family has been helping and just right now my sister thought is was OK to take him outside and put him down on the cement. He was on the cement for 18 seconds (we have cameras so I was able to see what happen). I'm worried he was getting better and now that she took him outside he isn't going to be OK. I'm actually freaking out! Will he be OK?

By Sierra

Best Answer

I had a dog that came down with parvo. You are doing everything correctly in the house. The cement needs to be scrubbed down several times with bleach and water. Do not let your dogs out for several hours after cleaning the cement. After about a week of cleaning the cement, and cleaning it again after your dog goes potty there should not be any more issues. My dogs were back to normal after about 10 days, but it does take a lot of work.

Our pup has parvo. We're going into the fourth day in a few hours. He hasn't gotten any worse, but isn't showing any signs of getting better either. I wake every two hours to give him Karo syrup, anti diarrhea meds, Pepcid, his IV fluids, also a mixture of vitamins and extra iron added, and baby rice cereal with chicken broth! I'm doing everything I was told to do and more. When should we notice a change in him? And yes he's been to the vet. They gave him an antibiotic shot as well as an injection for the vomiting. Someone please give me some insight. I'm exhausted already and I know he is.

It is a good sign that he is drinking. Parvo takes a while to recover from. You may want to keep in touch with the vet

Sometimes it can take up to a month to see recovery. Keep an eye on him as I am sure you are and if you see any relapse, take him to the vet. Otherwise, it's a longish, slow process. I am wishing you the best!

I have had 2 dogs with Parvo. One of my dogs received 3 injections and it took around 3 weeks for him to recover. My vet told me to start feeding him rice or pasta during the recovery period. My other dog had to stay at the vet's for over a week with an IV, He was very sick and had blood in his poop. When the two dogs were sick, I kept them hydrated and feed them small amounts of pasta and rice. So far you are doing all you can do for him. The only other thing that can be done is to have him stay at the vets with an IV. Here in Tahiti Parvo is a major problem for small dogs. That's why I start their vacations at 6 weeks old. I don't want another dog to get Parvo. it is very hard on you and the animal.

i hope you and your puppy are well on the way to recovery but be patient as it will take a while to get back to normal - and - you will want to be doing some extra cleaning to remove any traces of this illness. Although once a puppy has had Parvo he/she is immune to this virus you will still want to get rid of what is in your house just in case another animal visits in the future.

Here are a couple of links to important information about Parvo and the after effects. Both are lengthy so grab a cup of coffee and be patient as there are a lot of facts to cover.

http://ehomeremedies.com/parvo/

http://www.2ndc  e.info/parvo.htm

I took my puppy I bought from Petland in for his shots, on Friday. Later on that evening he seemed lethargic. Saturday afternoon he had some diarrhea. I called the vet and was told those were normal reactions to him receiving shots. Monday morning he was throwing up clear foam, and had clear diarrhea, but was still eating and drinking, the vet said he should feel better by evening. Tuesday he seemed a little more active during the day so I assumed the vet was right. But by Tuesday night around 3am he had explosive bloody diarrhea and vomiting, refused to eat, and only drank with lots of encouragement. I set the timer on my phone and got him to drink small amounts until the vet opened at 7am (I was waiting in the parking lot for them to open). They weighed him and he had lost 12 pounds since his appointment on Friday. I left him at the vet's office to run tests and give him IV fluids, and medicine for the nausea and diarrhea. An hour later the called and said he tested positive for parvo (he has been vaccinated, that was one of the shots he got in Friday, his second to the last one in the series). I went down to see him before they closed for the night to check his progress, he wagged his tail when he saw me, they said his vomiting had stopped. But he was still having explosive bloody diarrhea. I went in again to check his progress this morning. They said he got a fever during the night, and was still having explosive diarrhea. They are keeping him again tonight. But tomorrow I will need to pick him up before they close at 4:30 because there will not be anyone there to care for him over the weekend. Is it safe to bring him home? What I can I do to make sure he stays hydrated at home if he still has the diarrhea? How long does Parvo last? (Today is day 6) what are the signs that he is improving?

Parvo can last a few weeks. He cannot have any food until he has no diarrhea or vomiting for 24 hours. I would also call Petland and have them reimburse you for the vet expenses.

My dog just got home from the vets. He is recovering from Parvo. How long will it take for him to gain his strength back?

By Shea from Wytheville, VA

Answers:

Months

Several years ago my new puppy came down with parvo between the dates of its parvo shots. She was one sick baby and I doubted that she would even live. It took months before she fully recovered and actually had an appetite. She lost most of her hair due to the bolus injections beneath the skin when a vein couldn't be found for an IV. She was just the most pitiful dog I have ever seen. She is almost 11 now and beautiful with a full coat of hair.

She is a long haired Chihuahua and is a real joy to be around. One thing notable is that after having parvo, she has always appeared more sensitive to pain and becomes frightened if she thinks you are going to do something to her (ie., clip nails, clean ears, etc.) I have always felt this is because she went through so much pain in her young life. Hope your puppy continues to grow stronger daily and that it will make a complete recovery.

By Banty

A Few Weeks

It took my dog a few weeks to get "better" and at least a full month to get back to her "old" self. Our vet only gave her a 20% chance of survival since we took her home and administered the medication ourselves. But I think she survived because we stayed with her 24 hours a day the entire time she was sick. Something a vet and assistants are not able to give. I don't even think we slept for about 3 days since she was so sick.

After the 4th day, we slept here and there (took naps when she took naps) and woke up automatically when she did so she could throw up. We held her little head over the trash can, then cleaned her up. We gave her IV fluid and all of the medications as the doctor prescribed all on time.

I do wish the best for you. I know how we felt thinking we were losing our baby. It's not easy. But Belle pulled through it and yours can too. I'll say a prayer for your little furbaby! (04/25/2010)

By AngelLoveInOhio

Depends on Severity

I have had 2 dogs live through parvo and both times we kept them home for treatment. It depends on your dog and how bad it was for them. The most recent one only took about a week to get back to normal. I would keep giving them something like Gatorade or Pedialyte, something that has electrolytes and try food that will be easy on his stomach. (05/05/2010)

By A_M123