Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Category Health
When caring for a pet with parvo, many owners would like to know the average recovery time for an infected pup. This is a guide about recovery time for dog with parvo.

My baby girl Sasha is about 2 and half years old and she got parvo, how she got it I don't know. She has not been in contact with other dogs or feces for that matter, but she got it. She has been with the vet for a week now and she is still the same. My question is what are her chances of surviving this. Her puppy got it cuz of her and she is now eating and drinking, but still at the hospital. I'm really worried about Sasha. Please what can you tell me? Sasha is the white one.

Parvo can last a few weeks. If your dog is drinking she has a chance. What does the vet say?

The vet can keep you up to date but if she's there and stable, it can take up to a month for it to clear.

It used to be that dogs who got parvo did not live. Its only been in the past few years that medical vet services have developed to the point that many now survive. However, it can take a couple months.

Many people think that Parvo is a virus that only affects puppies but that is not the case - as you have experienced. Dogs that have survived a week or longer (and with a vet) will most likely survive but total recovery time is long.

From what I have read about this virus, the older dog has a better immune system than a puppy and perhaps would not be affected as much as a younger dog - unless - they have other health problems.

Hopefully you will be seeing great improvement in both dogs and your vet should be able to answer any questions about any problems either dog is having.

Cleaning up any area the dogs have been is a big job so I hope you have information on what steps to take before you bring your doggies home.

here is a link to a site that has a lot of information about this virus.

http://www.2ndc  e.info/parvo.htm

I took my puppy I bought from Petland in for his shots, on Friday. Later on that evening he seemed lethargic. Saturday afternoon he had some diarrhea. I called the vet and was told those were normal reactions to him receiving shots. Monday morning he was throwing up clear foam, and had clear diarrhea, but was still eating and drinking, the vet said he should feel better by evening. Tuesday he seemed a little more active during the day so I assumed the vet was right. But by Tuesday night around 3am he had explosive bloody diarrhea and vomiting, refused to eat, and only drank with lots of encouragement. I set the timer on my phone and got him to drink small amounts until the vet opened at 7am (I was waiting in the parking lot for them to open). They weighed him and he had lost 12 pounds since his appointment on Friday. I left him at the vet's office to run tests and give him IV fluids, and medicine for the nausea and diarrhea. An hour later the called and said he tested positive for parvo (he has been vaccinated, that was one of the shots he got in Friday, his second to the last one in the series). I went down to see him before they closed for the night to check his progress, he wagged his tail when he saw me, they said his vomiting had stopped. But he was still having explosive bloody diarrhea. I went in again to check his progress this morning. They said he got a fever during the night, and was still having explosive diarrhea. They are keeping him again tonight. But tomorrow I will need to pick him up before they close at 4:30 because there will not be anyone there to care for him over the weekend. Is it safe to bring him home? What I can I do to make sure he stays hydrated at home if he still has the diarrhea? How long does Parvo last? (Today is day 6) what are the signs that he is improving?

Parvo can last a few weeks. He cannot have any food until he has no diarrhea or vomiting for 24 hours. I would also call Petland and have them reimburse you for the vet expenses.

I just came home from the vet with my dog. She has pravo. She is breathing really slow and I have been giving her Pedialite in a syringe. When will she get better?

By Keta

Best Answer

From what I have learned from experience depends on how bad your dog has Parvo. It can be 2-6 months to get over it.

Please don't give up or frustrated with your dog as they go through this. It is very hard on them. Plus they can die from Parvo without steady care.

Hi, my dog Oso is back home from parvo after 10 days in the vet. This is his second week home and he is still having major regurgitation issues. He has been home for 2 weeks and somedays are better than others. He got parvo at six months after being fully vacinated.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

I also have the same problem he's still having some regurgitation issues

So it means having our puppy full vaccines is not a guarantee that our puppy is protected from parvovirus,so whats the use of getting all the complete shots?its just a waste of money.

Omg it take that long to get over it

My puppy has parvo we have been treating him with IV and antibiotics just like vet told us. This started on a Thursday and now it's Monday and he showing little sign of improvement. He is drinking water on his own now. Do you think he might be getting over it? How long does parvo last?

By Rosie from Fresno, CA

Best Answer

Hi, I think it will take a week to 10 days for your dog to get its strength back. Introduce food slowly as the stomach may have shrunk a bit and will be quite tender. Also be careful about the amount of running around you allow for a few days as although the dog might be feeling better it could tire easily. Just keep doing what you are doing the main thing is that you have got through the crisis. That is not easy, I remember not having any sleep for about 3 days! well done

My dog Hendrix just got tested positive for Parvovirus yesterday morning. We are doing the at home treatment, and they gave us antibiotics shots (four doses, once a day) Also, a bunch of oral antivomiting medicine and also an IV you stick into their skin and it pumps the water in the skin.

My question is, he has had two days of treatment so far, (he was sick about 3 days before we took him to vet) and he is pooping randomly, bloody and nothing but runny.

Is that normal? He has shown signs of improvement so far. More alert and today has tried to kind of stand up twice. Is this normal recovery? What is something to worry about if I see? Thank you in advance. - pet owner Chisa

My pups born February 19th diagnosed April 23.

I foster these pups and so far 2 have died out of 5 from this litter I am also fostering Chihuahua mix pups born January 25 so far as I started the meds the 25th with pedialyte as their water and cooking high protein food eggs, Turkey, Lamb so far non from the Chihuahua group have passed and two pits are still eating and drinking, but like I said all are being treated before symptoms.

I'm using a ringer and anti-vomiting (metoclopramide) anti biotic (spectinomycin). so far 2 pit pups have died since diagnosed. One Saturday and one today Thursday and one fighting hard.

This desease mutates so depend on the strand and breed this weighs heavy on the out come.

Hello chisa, sorry to hear that and i hope Hendrix is feeling better. I'm taking my pup to the vet in the morning as she is showing signs of parvo, I've never been there this so i don't know what to expect as of emotionally/physically and expenses. If i decide it's best to treat her at home around how much am I looking at money wise. I'm scared to lose her as she is part of our family now it sadens me.

-priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

How is your puppy doing from parvo. Ours got diagnosed with Parvo on the 4/26/2017. He had show symptoms 2 days before (didn't know what it was). Vet gave us some nausea medicine, some antibiotics, and IV fluids. Is been 3 days of treatment, he looks alert sometimes, them some times he looks out of it. I also bought Paxxin, so I'm giving it to him a doze hourly. I would love to know how your pup is doing thanks. Hope everything goes well with your puppy.

We are doing the at home treatment and it cost us $457 for all the meds, them to put the IV in and the splint and cone collar. He's coming alone just fine. He was taken in yesterday morning and by last night he was night and day different. But that's what you should probably expect. I also live in WV so it may be a bit cheaper here vs other parts of the country.

On June 24th I took my new Lab Skoal to the vet and found out he has parvo. I bought the IV fluid and connector and needles giving him 150mL twice a day. He's on antivomiting pills and antibiotics. I'm also giving him 5ml of Pedialyte 6-8 times a day and white rice with chicken. He never stopped eating, but he did stop drinking on the first day. He has had diarrhea, but sometimes its thicker than others. Today is the 4th day and I got the first tiny very small bloody stool.

Today he showed so much activity he was barking and growling and pouncing. He was acting so normal I felt like he is at the end of this horrible road. My family has been helping and just right now my sister thought is was OK to take him outside and put him down on the cement. He was on the cement for 18 seconds (we have cameras so I was able to see what happen). I'm worried he was getting better and now that she took him outside he isn't going to be OK. I'm actually freaking out! Will he be OK?

By Sierra

Best Answer

I had a dog that came down with parvo. You are doing everything correctly in the house. The cement needs to be scrubbed down several times with bleach and water. Do not let your dogs out for several hours after cleaning the cement. After about a week of cleaning the cement, and cleaning it again after your dog goes potty there should not be any more issues. My dogs were back to normal after about 10 days, but it does take a lot of work.

My dog just got home from the vets. He is recovering from Parvo. How long will it take for him to gain his strength back?

By Shea from Wytheville, VA

Answers:

Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Several years ago my new puppy came down with parvo between the dates of the parvo shots. She was one sick baby and I doubted that she would even live. It took months before she fully recovered and actually had an appetite. She lost most of her hair due to the bolus injections beneath the skin when a vein couldn't be found for an IV. She was just the most pitiful dog I have ever seen. She is almost 11 now and beautiful with a full coat of hair.

She is a long haired Chihuahua and is a real joy to be around. One thing notable is that after having parvo, she has always appeared more sensitive to pain and becomes frightened if she thinks you are going to do something to her ie., clip nails, clean ears, etc. I have always felt this is because she went through so much pain in her young life. Hope your puppy continues to grow stronger daily and that it will make a complete recovery. (04/24/2010)

By Banty

RE: Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

It took my dog a few weeks to get "better" and at least a full month to get back to her "old" self. Our vet only gave her a 20% chance of survival since we took her home and administered the medication ourselves. But I think she survived because we stayed with her 24 hours a day the entire time she was sick. Something a vet and assistants are not able to give. I don't even think we slept for about 3 days since she was so sick.

After the 4th day, we slept here and there (took naps when she took naps) and woke up automatically when she did so she could throw up. We held her little head over the trash can, then cleaned her up. We gave her IV fluid and all of the medications as the doctor prescribed all on time.

I do wish the best for you. I know how we felt thinking we were losing our baby. It's not easy. But Belle pulled through it and yours can too. I'll say a prayer for your little furbaby!
/210215792508?ref=nf (04/25/2010)

By AngelLoveInOhio

RE: Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

Recovery Time for Dog With Parvo

I have had 2 dogs live through parvo and both times we kept them home for treatment. It depends on your dog and how bad it was for them. The most recent one only took about a week to get back to normal. I would keep giving them something like Gatorade or Pedialyte, something that has electrolytes and try food that will be easy on his stomach. (05/05/2010)

By A_M123