Tuna Casserole Recipes

Category Casseroles
An inexpensive, popular main dish can be made with tuna. This page contains tuna casseroles recipes.

Has anyone every tried putting 4 to 8 ounces of cream cheese, evaporated milk, and a small can of sliced mushrooms in their tuna casserole recipe? I did along with the normal ingredients of cream of mushroom soup and diced onions stirred into elbow macaroni. I fixed it last week and it was fantastically smooth and creamy. The family just loved it! They are asking me to fix it again and soon. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried it before? If you haven't, do try it as a smooth twist on an old American favorite.

By Paula Jo from Lower Western NC Mountain Area

Quick, tasty and cheap meal that feeds four. So simple.

• 1 can tuna, drained
  • 1 can peas, drained
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • Ad

• 1 box macaroni and cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar

Directions:

Make the macaroni and cheese using the instructions on the box. While the noddle are cooking/boiling, add the the chopped onion so it will cook with the noodles. After the macaroni and cheese is made, add the tuna and the can of peas. Mix well and pour into a baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheddar on it. Bake for 20 minutes on 250 degrees F.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes

By Supooh from Waynesboro, VA

An old standby. Very good, easy to make, and cheap!

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 can tuna, drained and flaked
  • Ad

• 1 1/4 cups potato chips, crushed
  • 1 cup peas, cooked and drained

Directions:

Mix soup and milk in small casserole dish. Add tuna, 1 cup potato chips, and peas. Sprinkle top with remaining chips. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

A staple that can always be stretched to feed company.

Directions:

Partially cook the macaroni, drain. Add the soup and tuna stir. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Top with crunched potato chips. A good way to use up stale chips. Drizzle butter on them if they are too stale.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

The only real differences in this method and the oven method are that heating it on the stove-top forms a crust on the bottom and baking it forms a crust on the top.

It was more wonderful today than it was last night. I will definitely make this again!

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup ($1.57)
  • 1 1/3 can milk or powdered milk ($0.20c)
  • 2 cans tuna, drained ($2.00)
  • 1 partial sack regular potato chips ($2 - $4)
  • 1 can drained corn or peas (optional) ($1.00)
  • bottle soy or Worcestershire Sauce (optional) ($0.25)
  • bagged or canned french fried onion pieces (optional) ($3.00)

1. Prepare your tuna casserole how you normally would. I heated my 1 can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/3 can of instant powdered milk first.

2. After I drained 2 cans of tuna, I added it to the soup in the non-stick skillet and added as many potato chips as I was comfortable with adding, to take up moisture from the soup/milk.
  3. I wanted to add corn to this dish. It was drained and added to the pan. Normally I add one of 2 flavorings; Worcestershire Sauce or Soy Sauce (for kick) Last night I added Soy Sauce.
  4. I tossed in a few French Fried Onions which I don't always add but I had some on hand. This was allowed to heat until it was the consistency I wanted it. Then salt and pepper to taste.

Serving Idea: carrot, celery sticks or other vegetable tray items, pickled beets or other favored pickles

When I make tuna casserole, I add sour cream and cream cheese to Cream of Mushroom soup.

Combine soup, milk, and onion. Heat to boiling. Sprinkle lemon juice over tuna. Alternate layers of tuna and chips, then cover with soup mixture. Season with salt and pepper.

This is a guide about creamy tuna casserole. This is a simple to make creamy, cheesy tuna casserole that is sure to please.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Super easy and kid friendly.

Love this old standby, too!

In a 1 1/2 quart casserole blend soup, milk and minced onion. Stir in tuna, cooked spaghetti and green beans. Circle top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Cook broccoli, no salt, arrange in casserole dish. Flake tuna over broccoli. Heat soup, milk and cheese until melted. Pour over tuna. Combine bread crumbs and margarine.

Combine first 5 ingredients and form into balls. Place tuna balls in buttered casserole dish. Combine the soup and the milks; pour over the tuna balls. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

Empty the tuna and soup into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Fill the two soup cans with milk and add it to the dish as well. Crunch up the bag of potato chips and add it to the dish.

Take the tuna and put into a sauce pan w/the water;stir w/whisk until lumps are out. Add the butter, salt and pepper simmer until very hot. Serve soup mixture over the cooked rice.

I have tried many tuna casseroles and found one that I really like. It is Stouffer's microwave tuna casserole. It has tuna, noodles, peas, mushrooms, and sauce.

Does anyone have a recipe like this? I like that the sauce is not too thick or too creamy.
I appreciate your help.

By Annie from Columbia, MO

Answers

Hi Annie, I love the microwave Stouffer's tuna casserole, too. I haven't tried to do so yet, but I think it would be fairly easy to recreate at home.

Based on a casserole that would make 4 large or 6 medium servings, this would be my first attempt: Try at your own risk!

Dried pasta noodles for 4-6 servings
3/4 cup frozen green peas (rinsed gently under warm water to thaw)
2, 5 oz. cans of tuna, drained and flaked
1 small (?oz?) can of mushroom pieces, drained
1/3 cup small diced celery stalk
1 regular sized (?oz?) can of cream of chicken concentrate soup
- Plus 1/4 to 1/3 can (the soup can) of milk (just enough to thin the concentrated soup, but not enough to make it runny)
1 cup of fine bread crumbs
2 T Butter, melted
Spray vegetable oil (Pam)

1. Cook the noodles one or two minutes less than package directions. Drain and pour into large mixing bowl.
2. Add the peas, tuna, mushrooms and celery. Stir to combine.
3. In a 2 or 3 cup liquid measure, thoroughly mix the soup and milk. Pour over noodle mixture and stir well to coat.
4. Rinse out the liquid measure cup and use it to melt the butter in the microwave. (Watch this, don't let the butter start cooking!)
5. Remove measure cup from microwave and stir in bread crumbs to coat.
6. Spray casserole dish with Pam then pour in noodle mix. Top evenly with the bread crumbs.

Still just experimenting here, but I'd probably bake it at 350 to 375 degrees, covered, for about 35 minutes, then uncover, to toast up the bread crumb topping, and cook for another 10 minutes or so.

Again, this is untested, so try at your own risk, but it sure seems like this should come out close to the Stouffer's frozen tuna casserole. Good luck and happy eats. :)

KansasCindy,
This sounds good, I will try it on Tuesday.
Can't wait. Thank you,

Annie

This is a recipe a cousin gave me (over 40 yrs ago).

1 Mac and Cheese dinner (I use Kraft)
(it calls for 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 stick margarine)
1 6 oz can tuna or chicken is good also
1 can mushroom or cream of chicken soup (when making a double recipe, I use one can of each) You can also buy Chicken Mushroom Soup.
1 can peas, drained
2 stalks celery of sm can of water chestnuts chopped
Topping
1/2 stick margarine melted
4-5 sliecs of bread crumbled

Fix dinner as recommended on package, add tuna, soup, peas celery, and pour into casserole dish. Melt 1/2 stick margarine and mix with bread crumbs. Put on top of casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Anyone that has tried it likes it. I have people ask for it at dinners and family reunions.

Goes good with fruit or jello salad.

Simple meal and cheap.

Boil Noodles. Add 1 can of tuna fish and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.

I feed a family of 6 with left overs for about $3. Kids really like it too.

Source: My parents made it when I was a kid and I don't know where they got it.

By Steve from Dayton, OH

Answers:

Tuna Fish And Noodles

Yay! tuna casserole! I also add mixed vegetables, a cup of milk, and sprinkle some chip crumbs on top(I just save the end of the bag). YUM! (12/03/2008)

By Starchild in VT

Tuna Fish And Noodles

And besides adding some veggies (usually broccoli or cauliflower) I also add cheese that might be close to it's stale date ... It adds a nice flavor and the cheese is being used before it has gone bad :-) (12/03/2008)

By Deeli

Tuna Fish And Noodles

LOL. Our parents must have been neighbors at some point in time. This is good over toast as well. Mmmmm, comfort food. Add some corn if you really want to carb out! (12/03/2008)

By verynicebecky

Tuna Fish And Noodles

I had forgotten all about having it over toast! Haven't had it that way for over four decades when I was a little girl! Thanks for the reminder! :-) (12/03/2008)

By Deeli

Tuna Fish And Noodles

Wow! Never thought I'd see this on here. One day very long ago I was fooling around in the kitchen and tried putting cooked flat egg noodles in a pan, a can each of mushroom soup and cream of chicken. Then a can of drained tuna, a little milk and crushed a small bag of potato chips up and threw them in. I heated it thoroughly on low heat, and served it to my finicky kids...they LOVED it. They ate as much as they wanted and we still had some left over.

This was about 20 yrs ago and they have learned to fix it for their kids, and as i see from the feedback you can dress it up....yum! I now live alone and don't fix it or else I will be eating it for 2 weeks. lol (12/03/2008)

By Barbara.

Tuna Fish And Noodles

You can also use Cream of Chicken soup, my mother used to make Tuna and Noodles for me all the time because I loved it, but I hated mushrooms so Cream of Chicken is a good alternative for picky eaters! (02/11/2009)

By Holly

Tuna Fish And Noodles

This is a wonderful supper! I love it! One of my favorite meals! (02/13/2009)

By Jessica

A great way to disguise leftovers!

• 1 can Tuna
  • leftover Green Bean Casserole
  • 2 cups pasta, cooked
  • 2-3 Tbsp. of mayonnaise
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Romano cheese
  • breadcrumbs

Directions:

Mix your leftover green bean casserole with about 2 cups of cooked pasta. Add some mayonnaise until you get a nice consistency and stir in the cheese. Top with breadcrumbs and cook at 350 degrees F until top is brown and casserole is bubbly.

By Stephanie from Pittsgrove, NJ

Ingredients

• 1 pkg. egg noodles
  • 1 can peas
  • 1 stick margarine
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 cup evaporated or whole milk
  • 2 cup Velveeta cheese
  • 1-2 cans chunk tuna
  • 1 cup ground potato chips

Directions

Boil noodles in large pot. While noodles are boiling, drain peas in strainer in the sink and leave. In a skillet, melt butter and fry onion. Then add milk to onion mixture and then cheese until melted. Drain noodles with peas and put into baking dish. Add tuna and cheese mixture and stir all together. Top with potato chips and cover. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 large can tuna fish
  • 1 cup diced boiled carrots
  • 1 cup peas
  • 1 cup celery, cut fine
  • 1 Tbsp. onion
  • 2 cups boiled macaroni
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups medium white sauce
  • 1/2 cup cracker crumbs

Directions

Butter a baking dish generously. Flake the tuna fish and mix all vegetables, macaroni and seasonings. Place in the baking dish. Pour the white sauce over the mixture and sprinkle top with cracker crumbs. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Tuna Casserole

That's a great recipe. I've also found out that getting a pack of dry ranch mix [get store brand, it's less than a dollar] the kind which requires buttermilk to be added, and when I make casseroles with a cream sauce, just add a pinch of the powder, 1/2 teaspoon at the most, less would do fine, and it comes close to the taste of tuna helper for those who like it, but as your recipe shows, when you make it at home, you will get a casserole which serves more. (10/07/2009)

By PIKKA

Ingredients

White Sauce:

• 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 cup milk

• 1 can tuna
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup celery, cut fine
  • 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 can refrigerator biscuits

Directions

For Sauce: Melt butter or margarine in pan. Add flour, salt and pepper. Mix well, gradually add milk and stir constantly until sauce becomes thick. Set aside.

Put tuna in a large bowl and flake with a fork; add lemon juice. Add other ingredients and pour into white sauce. Mix well and pour into greased casserole. Casserole may be frozen at this point for use at a later date. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, add biscuits to the top and bake 15 minutes more.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Alternate tuna, 1 3/4 cups potato chips and eggs in greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Combine milk and soup; pour over casserole.

Cook egg noodles in water with 1 tsp. salt. Put cans of tuna and soup together and heat. Add water. Drain noodles and place in pan. Coat with butter. add tuna and soup mixture. Place in oven at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Does anyone have a recipe for a tuna casserole that is similar to the frozen Stouffer's Tuna Casserole entree.

Drain beans, add enough water to bean liquid to make 1 1/4 cups. Combine with undiluted soup in saucepan. Stir in beans, tuna, onion, and thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add rice to mixture.

Blend soup and milk; stir in tuna, peas and 1 cup potato chips. Spoon into 1 qt. casserole.

Melt butter or margarine. Stir in flour until smooth. Add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until moderately thick.

A good meal, that will be ready in less than a hour. Cook the noodles as directed on package, drain.

Follow the directions on the package for cooking the rice. While the rice is cooking, place the milk, cheese, salt and pepper in the double boiler and beat until well blended and smooth, stirring occasionally.