Crafts Made with Plastic Bottles

Pile of Plastic Water Bottles
All kinds of plastic bottles can be reused in a variety of creative projects. This guide is about crafts made with plastic bottles.

With a bit of creative cutting and folding you can transform a plastic bottle into a beautiful vase. This is a guide about making a plastic bottle vase.

Plastic Bottle Starburst Vase

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a plastic bottle bottom sun catcher. The bottom of many plastic drink bottles can be used as part of a kids' craft to make sun catchers.

Making a Plastic Bottle Bottom Sun Catcher

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about making a zipper plastic bottle container. Make a cute, functional container from a recycled plastic bottle and a zipper.

Zipper Plastic Bottle Container

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about making a plastic bottle animal planter. Save your bottles to make this adorable planter for spring seedlings.

kitty animal planter

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Make this cute recycled soda bottle bowling game for a Halloween party or just for the kids to play and have fun. Paint the bottles to make a ghouls, bats, spiders, Dracula, or ghosts. This is a guide about Halloween plastic bottle bowling game.

Halloween Bowling Game

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Rather than recycling that empty plastic bottle make a fun to play with sail boat for the tub or pool. This is a guide about how to make a sailing boat from a plastic bottle.

Bottle sailboat, materials, and children playing with the boat.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Plastic 2 liter bottles can be used for many different types of crafts, even wind chimes. This is a guide about plastic soda bottle wind chimes.

Plastic Soda Bottle Wind Chimes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making earrings from plastic drink bottles. Plastic bottles have many craft uses.

Making Earrings from Plastic Drink Bottles

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a great way to use some of those empty water bottles. Fill them with treats then decorate them up a bit, and you have a great package ready for gift giving.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

You can use any size water bottle, I used the 8 oz. size.

1. Cut the bottle in half with a scissors, but not all the way through, leave about 1 inch still attached.
  2. Fill with treats, something that can be stacked is best, I did cookies. You could do fudge, peanut brittle, etc. It should small enough to stack. I cut down my peppermint brownie cookies with a cookie cutter so they would fit.
  3. Now fill up the bottle as high as possible. Close it up and put Scotch or masking tape over the seam. Make sure the cap is on the bottle. I used a wide wired ribbon tied around the seam and then added a few glitter ornaments. The treats should stay fresh.

By NoRulesArt from Sunny FL

This kit includes everything the receiver needs to enjoy an evening of Stress Relief. And the trick is seeing how to get the goodies out of the inside.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Instructions:

Wash and dry bottle

Find area on bottle that is a flat area - cut a "C" shape in the plastic bottle. Just make the opening large enough to put your goodies inside.

Package your bath salts into a smaller zip top bag.

Put cotton balls in the bottom of the bottle

Fill your bottle with your other goodies. The hard candy makes a great space filler

Use the clear tape to close the flap on your "C"

Cut a strip of paper with a height large enough to cover the "C" and long enough to wrap around the bottle.

Glue strip of paper around bottle. Embellish as you wish.

Tie a ribbon on the top and you are done!

By Kellee from Auburndale, FL

I saw this in my email this past week and I don't remember who it was from, but it is a perfect way to solve your pop bottle build-up that you were saving for "who-knows-what"

Create a quick pattern from an old business size envelope if you need one, level out the side. (I rounded my corners a little bit). Cut out the circle for the doorknob and you're done.

I applied a little peel-n-stick deco I cut out and also used foil flowers, decorate them however you want to. I want to use some of these in the garden and yard with small potted plants I can hang in trees or off a fence post.

I cut part of the bumps on the bottom off to use that way (about the size of the tip of my pinky finger for drainage).

Source: Craft related email - Forgot who it was from.

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Make do with the abundance of garbage we consumers produce in our own homes, using empties and scissors or a craft knife. Decide where you wish to cut on the plastic bottle by drawing a line or "winging it" and cut into the bottle a little above where you actually want the cut made with kitchen or craft knife. Smoothly finish your cutting with scissors. Add decorative touches if you wish.
  1. 2 liter plastic pop bottle with orange velvet ribbon

2. Detergent bottle with peel-n-stick cut into leaf shapes and green floral tape

3. Metallic contact paper covered soup can

4. Bleach bottle

5. Mouthwash bottle with green floral tape

6. Pizza box envelope for inside file box

7. Shower gel bottle with floral tape and peel-n-stick leaf cutouts

8. Peel-n-stick paper covered powdered drink canister
All eight of the above are FREE until decorations are added.

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Materials:

• bowl about the height you wish to cut
  • pen or pencil
  • cutting shears or very sharp scissors
  • sandpaper
  • round container like a plastic bottle

Directions:

1. Turn your bowl upside down. Place your container next to it and make sure this is the proper height you need your container. Take a pencil and roll the container around holding the pencil still in place while marking your area.
  2. PlasticBottleB400x300.jpg

3. Poke through the plastic and cut as evenly as possible around the area using your lines as a guide.
  4. PlasticBottleD400x300.jpg

5. Next take your container and swipe it several times in one direction across the sandpaper. This will make the top smooth and there will be no rough edges to cut yourself on.
  6. PlasticBottleF400x329.jpg

7. Decorate the container however you wish and display your pens and pencils or any other item you might like in it.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

This is a way to use any type of plastic stuff: bottle lids, shampoo lids, prescription bottles, aerosol lids, any type of plastic. You take a cookie sheet and line it with foil. Turn your oven on to 450-500 dergees F.

Crafts Using Melted Plastic Bottles And Lids

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Does anyone have any craft ideas on what to do with empty disposable water bottles? We use so many during the week and I hate to just throw them away.

Lady of the World from NC

if u like to gardening ,u can use them to start your seeds in,just cut almost in half leave one side attached and put drainage holes in the bottom, add your soul then some water and then your seeds ,

then tape the bottle back up put cap on until u start seeing sprouts then take cap off,but dont let the bottle get hot are the seeds will cook if it gets to warm take the cap off for a while.

I re-use my water bottles. I drink Nescafe Iced Java coffee in the morning (coffee syrup mixed with cold milk). I put the Java in the bottle, then the milk, return the cap and shake. It is the ONLY way I don't end up spilling coffee all over myself when I'm drinking my coffee in the car!

I also use the water bottles as paintbrush washing stations. Cut them in half and put water in them for paintbrush clean up. Use them for pencil cups the same way.

Here in "Hurricane world" we also fill them & keep them in the freezer so if we lose power during a hurricane we have water on hand for washing, the dog's bowl, etc.

I have made toys for kids with these water bottles.

I taught headstart (pre-K) for 6 years and we made many things with them.

*A Tornado in a bottle: fill bottle 2/3 full of water, a drop or two of dish washing liquid, a table spoon of sand, small bits of aluminim foil. Put the lid on tight so the kids can't open and drink it. Twirl the bottle and a tornado will appear. You need to practice the twirling to get it right.

*Ocean in a bottle: fill the bottle 2/3 with water and a few drops of blue food coloring, 1/3 vegetable oil, and small sea shells. Kids love this. The oil and water will not mix and when shaken a bit it looks like waves.

*Quiet bottle: I've had alot of success using this bottle for children who are upset. It also works well with autistic children. Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of white Karo syrup into the bottle, add your choice of food coloring, any kind of sequins,confetti, beads, or anything small. As you roll the bottle around in your hands focus on a certain bead and this can be very soothing. Just make sure that you tighten the lid, You can put a dab or super glue to seal it well.

I have enjoyed these cheap little homemade toys too. I hope you do too.

Glue them together with silicone glue and form them in a circle. When spring comes you will have Walls of Water to put out around your seedlings to keep them warm. Just fill them with water and cap them to retain the heat.

Those bottles are recyclable-don't throw them out. I buy my drinking/cooking water by the gallon, and refill my bottles. The gallon jugs are also recyclable. I buy/refill my gallon jugs at the grocery store for 39¢ per gallon. As a single person, I get 4-5 gallons @ a time. When I get home, I put one gallon in the fridge, fill bottles with another gallon and put those in the fridge. I take one gallon to work- Then put the rest of the gallons in a cupboard, or the pantry. This saves me alot of $.

For Halloween decorations (a little off season, I know), I used them to make a "bottle of boos". We made little ghosts from a circle of white fabric around a little styrofoam ball, tied a thread around the neck, drew on faces with a black pen and then stuffed them into the bottle, making sure the faces showed. Presto!! A "bottle of boos!" We cut circles of Halloween fabric or plain back to use to cover the caps (tops) and tied a ribbon around it. Very cute and easy! And fun!!

I have two uses for the bottles.

Idea #1:

Fill the bottles approximately 1/3 full of fresh, filtered water. Screw on the lid. Then, lay them on their side in your freezer. When you want to have cool water on the go, simply fill the rest of the bottle with filtered water, and the ice inside the water bottle will keep the drink cool for a couple of hours. (Freezing them upright just doesn't work as well.)

Idea #2:

Disposable bottles make terrific noisemakers for kids. Simply fill the bottle with about 1/4-1/2 cup of beads, gravel, popcorn, etc. Screw on the bottle top, and seal it permanently with colorful vinyl tape or hot glue. Due to the size of contents of the bottles, it is a good idea to limit this project to kids 6 yrs. old and above.

You can make a firefly out of the water bottles by using a pipe cleaner for the antenae and paper wings attached with double stick tape. Put a inexpensive glow bracelet in the bottle. Draw a face on the cap with sharpie markers. This is great for camping with children.

If you put a flashlight under a bottle that has water in it, you will get an instant lantern. The bottle does not have to be fulll, but it should be at least 1/4 full. You can color the water with food coloring if you like. This is great for hiking as you need a lantern and your water.

Hi...I have sent my grandkids little gifts through the mail in the plastic bottles..they love it...Just cut a slit in the side to fill the bottle and then use clear packing tape and seal and put your address lable over the slit..the postman love them..they get some good laughs...they can be sent for about $2 - $3 dollars...The kids love getting mail and this is a great way to send them something.....

This wasn't my idea, but you can make these fish out of them. I got this from a American Girl magazine, the April 2008 one I think. You take a water bottle and put some paint inside, then you jiggle it up so that it is all around the inside of the bottle and there are no parts that are clear. Then you glue sequins on them wherever you want. Some people make dots, some people make stripes, some people make one stripe around the "stomach", and some people make their own designs. You also put two for the eyes. Also, you can hang them by string.

Buy white plastic paint. Paint the bottle then get a black sharpie draw snowman's eyes a nose and a mouth color the top for a hat and wrap a string around for a scarf then you got a snow man.

Hi, another craft for empty bottles. Fill your bottles with sand or stones and sew dresses of your choices. Like different national dresses oryour own design. Got this idea from the crafts forum challenge in UK. Happy crafting!

I don't use the disposable bottles anymore. I bought me 3 "green" water bottles. They are dishwasher safe so I always have a clean one. I fill it up with ice and then water and take it with me.

When I did buy bottled water, I would reuse them. They wash well in the dishwasher (top shelf). But since we got the faucet with a water filter, that is all I use anymore.

I've accumulated a few hundred of these little, white, plastic, 2-ounce bottles. Each measures approximately 3-1/4 inches tall and has a little screw-on cap. Energy "shots" came in them.

Now that I've ingested all of this stuff, I've got enormous amounts of energy to do some sort of craft or project with all of the empties. But I don't have any ideas. Do you? Help put my energy and empty bottles to good use!

By Ted from Los Angeles, CA

You can go to about crafts they will find a purpose.

I use them for craft items; glitter, beads, small split rings, metal jewelry pieces, etc. Or you could use them for putting your lotions, shampoo, conditioner, etc, for when you go on a trip.

Sure wish I had a few of these bottles. :-)

If you make lotion, they are great for samples, or refill them with shampoos and conditioners for trips!

I would use some for small amounts of paint. Use it for quick touch ups on walls etc., you could put your meds in them for each day, you could maybe use them for a toothpick dispenser in your purse or car, or use to dispense single serve koolaid while at work or eating out. Good luck.:)

Why not cover them with polymer clay (Sculpey, Fimo, etc) and give them away for Christmas for people to use for decorative pill bottles. I have made many and sold them to various stores. Since the clay bakes at 250° the bottles won't melt. Here's a picture of one of them. The little dragon is made from polymer clay, too.

I am looking for creative craft ideas for Coke plastic bottles.

By Dorothy from Durban, KZN

I have been making a project out of using as much of the gallon milk jugs as I can for crafts. I end up with some left over which I cut into very bendable strips. I am wondering if any of you crafters out there have any ideas on what I could weave these into?

Thank you for any feedback on this.

By Robyn from Tennessee