Crafts Made with Plastic Bottles

All kinds of plastic bottles can be reused in a variety of creative projects. This guide is about crafts made with plastic bottles.

Bottle sailboat, materials, and children playing with the boat.

Rather than recycling that empty plastic bottle make a fun to play with sail boat for the tub or pool. This is a guide about how to make a sailing boat from a plastic bottle.

kitty animal planter

This is a guide about making a plastic bottle animal planter. Save your bottles to make this adorable planter for spring seedlings.

Plastic Soda Bottle Wind Chimes

Plastic 2 liter bottles can be used for many different types of crafts, even wind chimes. This is a guide about plastic soda bottle wind chimes.

Plastic Bottle Starburst Vase

With a bit of creative cutting and folding you can transform a plastic bottle into a beautiful vase. This is a guide about making a plastic bottle vase.

Making a Plastic Bottle Bottom Sun Catcher

This is a guide about making a plastic bottle bottom sun catcher. The bottom of many plastic drink bottles can be used as part of a kids' craft to make sun catchers.

Zipper Plastic Bottle Container

This is a guide about making a zipper plastic bottle container. Make a cute, functional container from a recycled plastic bottle and a zipper.

Making Earrings from Plastic Drink Bottles

This is a guide about making earrings from plastic drink bottles. Plastic bottles have many craft uses.

This is a great way to use some of those empty water bottles. Fill them with treats then decorate them up a bit, and you have a great package ready for gift giving.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

You can use any size water bottle, I used the 8 oz. size.

1. Cut the bottle in half with a scissors, but not all the way through, leave about 1 inch still attached.
  2. Fill with treats, something that can be stacked is best, I did cookies. You could do fudge, peanut brittle, etc. It should small enough to stack. I cut down my peppermint brownie cookies with a cookie cutter so they would fit.
  3. Now fill up the bottle as high as possible. Close it up and put Scotch or masking tape over the seam. Make sure the cap is on the bottle. I used a wide wired ribbon tied around the seam and then added a few glitter ornaments. The treats should stay fresh.

By NoRulesArt from Sunny FL

This is adorable. You could forgo the split and fill it up with candies, too!

I saw this in my email this past week and I don't remember who it was from, but it is a perfect way to solve your pop bottle build-up that you were saving for "who-knows-what"

Create a quick pattern from an old business size envelope if you need one, level out the side. (I rounded my corners a little bit). Cut out the circle for the doorknob and you're done.

I applied a little peel-n-stick deco I cut out and also used foil flowers, decorate them however you want to. I want to use some of these in the garden and yard with small potted plants I can hang in trees or off a fence post.

I cut part of the bumps on the bottom off to use that way (about the size of the tip of my pinky finger for drainage).

Source: Craft related email - Forgot who it was from.

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

I have seen this idea used as a catcher for coffee drips when using the large coffee pot at church. It is safer than paper towels on the floor to catch the drips. Do not cut holes in the bottom though.

This kit includes everything the receiver needs to enjoy an evening of Stress Relief. And the trick is seeing how to get the goodies out of the inside.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Instructions:

Wash and dry bottle

Find area on bottle that is a flat area - cut a "C" shape in the plastic bottle. Just make the opening large enough to put your goodies inside.

Package your bath salts into a smaller zip top bag.

Put cotton balls in the bottom of the bottle

Fill your bottle with your other goodies. The hard candy makes a great space filler

Use the clear tape to close the flap on your "C"

Cut a strip of paper with a height large enough to cover the "C" and long enough to wrap around the bottle.

Glue strip of paper around bottle. Embellish as you wish.

Tie a ribbon on the top and you are done!

By Kellee from Auburndale, FL

What a wonderful way to keep the recycling idea and a gift that can be tossed around by the postal service and not hurt!

You could make Russian Tea for a gift, too. It's:

Mix 1 8oz. jar of Tang or generic, and 1 8oz. jar of instant tea in large bowl. While turning your head (to avoid ascorbic acid dust), add 1 large package of Lemonade Drink Mix. Add 1/2 t. nutmeg and 1 t. cinnamon. Blend well and keep in air tight containers. When you are ready to steep, add the sugar. If you add 8 cups of sugar and then try and divide it equally among gifts, you may not have enough in some and too much in others. Best to let the recipient add their own.

N-joy!

Make do with the abundance of garbage we consumers produce in our own homes, using empties and scissors or a craft knife. All eight shows are FREE until decorations are added.

Turn your bowl upside down. Place your container next to it and make sure this is the proper height you need your container. Take a pencil and roll the container around holding the pencil still in place while marking your area.

Crafts Using Melted Plastic Bottles And Lids

This is a way to use any type of plastic stuff: bottle lids, shampoo lids, prescription bottles, aerosol lids, any type of plastic. You take a cookie sheet and line it with foil. Turn your oven on to 450-500 dergees F.

Does anyone have any craft ideas on what to do with empty disposable water bottles? We use so many during the week and I hate to just throw them away.

Lady of the World from NC

Buy white plastic paint. Paint the bottle then get a black sharpie draw snowman's eyes a nose and a mouth color the top for a hat and wrap a string around for a scarf then you got a snow man.

Hi, another craft for empty bottles. Fill your bottles with sand or stones and sew dresses of your choices. Like different national dresses oryour own design. Got this idea from the crafts forum challenge in UK. Happy crafting!

I've accumulated a few hundred of these little, white, plastic, 2-ounce bottles. Each measures approximately 3-1/4 inches tall and has a little screw-on cap. Energy "shots" came in them.

Now that I've ingested all of this stuff, I've got enormous amounts of energy to do some sort of craft or project with all of the empties. But I don't have any ideas. Do you? Help put my energy and empty bottles to good use!

By Ted from Los Angeles, CA

If you make lotion, they are great for samples, or refill them with shampoos and conditioners for trips!

I would use some for small amounts of paint. Use it for quick touch ups on walls etc., you could put your meds in them for each day, you could maybe use them for a toothpick dispenser in your purse or car, or use to dispense single serve koolaid while at work or eating out. Good luck.:)

I am looking for creative craft ideas for Coke plastic bottles.

By Dorothy from Durban, KZN

If you take a clear plastic one and put several colorful buttons inside it and glue the top in place it makes a great baby toy. I made one for my granddaughter when she was a crawl around baby and she loved it!

You can make a dandy toy for a crawl around baby. Put several colorful buttons inside and glue the top in place.

I have been making a project out of using as much of the gallon milk jugs as I can for crafts. I end up with some left over which I cut into very bendable strips. I am wondering if any of you crafters out there have any ideas on what I could weave these into?

Thank you for any feedback on this.

By Robyn from Tennessee

Have you tried weaving them into either tall cylinders around 2 liter soda bottle using the bottle as a liner for vases and decorate as you wish, or rectangular or square baskets that can be used outdoors as planters after lining with landscape cloth for patios, decks, porches, back steps, etc. Can also be used to hold pencils, kids crayons, etc. Sky is the limit w/this one.