Treating a Rash in Skin Folds

Itchy irritation can develop on skin where excess moisture and little air can circulate. This is a guide about treating a rash in skin folds.

I have a red line in the crease of my left side groin fold that burns. I normally use organic cornstarch (guy) dustings each morning. Yesterday I opened a new box of the same product and dusted. By evening the condition flared up. I used cold compress last night and cut a strip of gauze to put in fold at bed time. Any suggestions?

I know this type of rash can get very uncomfortable but I believe you should not use the powder until this rash has healed.

You could try Aloe Vera gel if you have this plant but you may need something more.

Here is some advice from my local Walgreen's:

You can ease some of the irritation by using a cool compress or an ice pack. Ice packs should never be placed directly on the skin, but should be wrapped in something soft like a tea towel.

If you have broken skin or sores, dont put on any cream or lotion until you have checked with your doctor. This may not mean a rash that you have irritated.

If you are in pain, get advice on medicines you can take. A pharmacist can advise on soothing creams and lotions.

Dont use any cream or lotion you already have at home until you have discussed your problem with a doctor or pharmacist.

He did say it was okay to use Aloe Vera gel or calamine lotion.

This kind of treatment is best used at night wearing very loose clothing.

It sounds like you need a trip to the doctor for a script. Maylox or Mylanta (or a generic) can be dabbed on burns and rashes and is rather soothing. It is recommended often by doctors and pharmacists and used in burn units, and it products such as magic mouthwash.

What caused it, and what's keeping the problem from healing?

For the best economical relief use cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Its cheap and works on everything.

Best for relief and prevention: Monistat Chafing Relief and Powder Gel. Use a small amount after showering in skin folds where moisture can build up, especially in hot weather. Can also help people confined to bed. Comes in a 1.5-oz. tube. (A tube lasts a long time.) I've found it at CVS. You may have to ask a clerk where it is located in the store.

Bentonite Clay , just sprinkle it on will be gone in hours.

I am looking for relief for a yeast/fungal rash under my breast and in the fold of my leg. Has anyone experienced this and what did you use to get rid of the rash?

az2010 from Easthampton, MA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

If you are overweight , then you need to get down to a healthy weight because obesity increases insulin resistance and predisposes to fungal infections. the folds of the skin are moist, dark and lack air. This is an ideal place for yeast to grow out of control. All people have yeast on our skin and body, but it can get out of control. Take antibiotics only when absolutely necessary and increase your hygiene when you do, using the creams for prevention. Eat more yogurt and sauerkraut because fermented foods keep bacterial counts normal so fungus does not take over. If you get rid of bacteria by antibacterial hand washing and cleaning agents, fungus overgrows. Plain soap and water are sufficient. Avoid antibacterial anything. Use alcohol based hand washes when out.

Air those parts by exposing them to air as much as possible, Wear light under clothing that is absorbent and easily washed. Cotton panties are a must. snip the crotch out of panty hose if they are covered with nylon. if you stay inside the seams they will not run. Use a hair dryer on cool to the affected parts when at home. Use anti-fungal creams-can buy at the dollar store-and put on the areas twice daily. Then shake athlete's foot powder, antifungal powder or any absorbent powder on top. Dry your skin thoroughly after showering and if you sweat-use a clean dry hand towel to remove moisture. Wash towels daily in hot water, borax, and rinse in vinegar. Dry in the sun or dryer till bone dry. Do this daily and for 2 months after the rash clears to keep it from coming back. After that maintain very good hygiene and think dry, dry, dry. Avoid sugar, sugar drinks, cashews, sweets to keep a good weight and also because sugar in your blood cause yeast infections to occur in all susceptible places. After work or at home wear a light shift or loose cotton pants and a loose cotton top.

I use hand towels in the summer to dry off since regular towels take up so much space in the dryer and I like a clean towel for each shower. 5-6 hand towels equal one thick towel and can be laundered frequently. Thick towels add up and are not necessary. This works. Let me know how you are doing.

Best Answer

One does not have to be overweight to have this problem, only large busted. I have found after my daily shower if I use Gold Bond Medicated Powder, it takes care of it. There is also a generic brand that works just as well! Also avoid as much sugar as you can, it feeds yeast!

Best Answer

Until you get down to a reasonable weight try any of the following :

1. After a shower, dry off and put some anti-fungal cream in the folds of your skin where you are likely to get a yeast rash.

2. No time for a shower use baby wipes/wet wipes during the day to stay fresh and keep a yeast rash from getting worse.

3. Get empty squirt bottle and fill it with 1 part white vinegar 2 parts water and splash it on after you shower or anytime during the day that you feel sweaty. If it irritates your skin use less vinegar and more water (1:6 ratio) or use anti-fungal cream.

Incidentally keeping all these things, (anti-fungal creams, wet wipes and vinegar splash), nice and cold in the refrigerator will help stop the itchiness you get sometimes with a yeast rash, the same as a cold shower stops itchiness.

I have been plagued by candida outbreaks under my breasts and have wondered about using deodorant to keep the sweat down. I'll try that. The heat and sweat is not helping at all. Been spending a number of these hot days in my air conditioned house and that helps to keep it down. I also keep nystatin powder on hand as that is also very helpful.

Dollar Tree Athletes Foot Cream is my go to. I promise it works great!!

This answer has shed a lot of light on my problem except the part of me getting what appears to be pimples that grow, become sore than burst and bleed for a long time. They take a long time to heal when they are in the crease of the fat fold

I have red rash in the crease of my chin which becomes red and itchy and it burns, too. I also see skin peeling. What is it? yeast ? fungus? or skin disease?

By MK from St. Paul, MN

Best Answer

Sounds like yeast, otherwise known as candida. You can try a weak solution of white vinegar or iodine. They both sting, but they will heal it, stop the itching & disinfect it; both of these kill candida.

Best Answer

I would go to a dermatologist.

Sounds like it needs vaseline on it. Also clean the area carefully with soap and water and apply an antibiotic ointment from Dollar store, good luck.

Anonymous

Keep the area clean, clean, clean (but don't harshly scrub it) and use a tiny bit of Neosporin once or twice a day. If it continues after trying that for two or three days then you need to see a doctor!

If it is yeast, neosporin will make it worse. Buy a small tube of lotrimin and try it.

Hello,

I think you should go see a Doctor. Don't try to treat it yourself.

I get this sore right on my waistline in the front. I have a gut on me and think I get these because I'm fat. The waistband on my underwear makes it hurt. It looks like a zit or something and hurts really bad. Sometimes it actually bruises up. What do I do?

It might even be a boil. Wal-Mart sells a cream called Boil-Ease. A boil will have a pretty good sized red ring around it and will feel hot to the touch and will feel hard underneath the skin. If it doesn't clear up, I'd go to the Dr. You don't want to get a major infection, especially with the summer heat coming up. Good luck with it and I hope you get to feeling better, soon!

Ingrown velus hairs can cause discomfort and look similar to a pimple. There is a chance you are wearing clothing that rubs and or is too tight which is why it's coming up sore. If you have poor hygiene it could be a pimple due to dirt in the waist band of your garment. If you have poor personal hygiene it could be that you need to exfoliate and bathe more regular. There are sexual activity concerns that could have a part as well.

Without knowing you, your habits or your existing medical history: see a doctor! Why would you ask for medical advice from non professional not medically trained strangers and people from around the internet?

This sounds like a boil. Boils are bumpy, red, pus-filled lumps around a hair follicle that are tender, warm, and very painful. They range from pea-sized to golf ball-sized. A yellow or white point at the center of the lump can be seen when the boil is ready to drain or discharge pus. Boils may appear on the buttocks or near the anus, the back, the neck, the stomach, the chest, the arms or legs, or even in the ear canal. A boil may clear up on its own without bursting, but more often it will need to open and drain. This will usually happen spontaneously within two weeks. Regular application of a warm moist compress, both before and after a boil opens, can help speed healing. The area must be kept clean, hands washed after touching it, and any dressings disposed of carefully, in order to avoid spreading the bacteria. A doctor may cut open or "lance" a boil to allow it to drain, but squeezing or cutting should not be attempted at home, as this may further spread the infection. Antibiotic therapy may be recommended for large or recurrent boils or those that occur in sensitive areas (such as the groin, breasts, armpits, around or in the nostrils, or in the ear). Antibiotics should not be used for longer than one month, with at least two months (preferably longer) between uses, otherwise it will lose its effectiveness.

Anonymous

Take a sheet of Bounty paper towel and trifold it. Place the folded paper towel between the infected waist and the material you're wearing. The paper towel also absorbs any liquid pus. Change paper towel when it gets too moist.

If it's a boil, treat by soaking in 1 part bleach fill tub with hot water 2 x day, apply wash towel/hot water to area till towel gets cold as many time as u can. Boil needs to puff up and pop once that happens try squeezing till puss starts ozzing out. It will be painful till it pops just keep area as clean as possible it usually takes about 2 weeks for it to puff up and bust. Once it pops u can start applying neoprene cover with clean gauze continue to squeeze to get all puss out. This was prescribed to me from my doctor. Good Luck.

Anonymous

It is a boil which is a hair follicle that is clogged. You can treat it with a warm wash cloth compress to soften the clog. Repeat as necessary and the skin will reabsorb it.

Can fat-fold fungal/yeast skin infection pass through to the hip joint?

By J-Alice8

Best Answer

Not sure if it can pass through the hip joint, but fungal / yeast infections are systemic, meaning that they are throughout the body, although they often surface in an isolated area. The best way to rid yourself of a problem is to change your diet. Medication will work on the area the infection surfaced, but a change of diet will take care of the root problem. By the way, you must stay on the diet after you feel better, because if you go back to your regular eating habits, the infection will again return.

Perhaps contacting www.webmd.com would help.

I have had, for 1 week, a thin red rash under my breast in the crease. I was given an antifungal cream. It has cleared up some of it, but some of it seems to be peeling off. It is not on the breast at all, just the crease. I have used the medication since Monday evening, so about 4 days. Is the peeling normal, and is it a fungal infection?

By JS

Try something like one of the diaper rash creams.

I have two suggestions, one that redhatterb has already mentioned. I have found that A&D ointment (for diaper rash) is good for many minor skin problems, from rashes to scratches. I am in my 60's but just discovered it a few years ago and now always have a tube on hand. It is great stuff. The other is Gold Bond Medicated Powder. I use that a lot, mainly in the summer, but it is useful for rashes too. And plain ol' soap and water sometimes will help. Wash the area with a wet soapy cloth, rinse and dry a few times a day. I hope you find one of these ideas will help.

I have an answer to the problem and can even save you money. As a diabetic, I too get them. It's a simple yeast infection. My pharmacist told me to go to the local dollar store and get a tube of athletes foot cream.

It works so well I keep one in the home, the car and my purse. Keeping the area clean helps, also not ingesting any high fructose corn syrups, palm/rapeseed oils and making sure it gets some air once in a while have all helped me. I hope these tips help you too.

I use a product called Zeasorb. It is used for fungus and athletes foot. I especially like it because it is a powder. Nice for areas that get moist. It is available at WM.

The other suggestions are good. I also can tell you it is common for these rashes to occur. I would keep it drt as possible. You can roll up wash clothes and put under your breasts, there is also an ointment called "Bag Balm". It comes in a square tin can. It will heal all rashes sometimes by morning. Good Luck. This is sometimes a symptom of sugar diabetes. So you may want to check with your Dr. Corn starch will also help keep it dry.