Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water

If your refrigerator ice maker is leaking water, the first step is to locate the source. This is a guide about refrigerator's ice maker leaking water.

July 16, 2016 Flag

It appears the water inlet is putting to much water into the ice tray of my ice maker and I am getting large chucks of ice. The auger is also freezing up as it appears water is dripping into the tray and the auger is completely coated in ice at the back where the turning arm is located.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some of the ice cubes are staying in the tray rather trhan dumping into the bin. When valve opens to refill tray some of the water spills over into the icebin and freezes into a mass around the auger.

The auger is freezing up as it appears water is dripping into the tray and the auger is completely coated in ice at the back where the turning arm is located.

September 30, 2013 Flag

I can see water from the fill line going into the ice maker. The water just pours into the icemaker and then instantly into the freeezer to the floor. What causes this?

By Robert

Are you sure it is your icemaker? We had a problem with ice forming on the bottom of our freezer and finally figured out it was too much stuff in our freezer compartment. When we cleaned out most of the frozen goods it has not leaked again. Just a thought!

I have the same problem what was the solution

October 14, 2015 Flag

When it calls for ice in the ice maker, water comes out of the plastic tube into the drain pan and eventually overflows. It is a Whirlpool mod#ET1MTKXKQ03. The drain hose is at the rear bottom of the fridge.

A very easy online search for the "Whirlpool" site will take you to the manufacturer's "contact us" website. You can ask questions via email or call directly. The answering rep may be able to clarify your problem and suggest fridge repair services in your area.

http://www.whirlpool.com/contact-us/

Ice maker leaking from module in front of ice cube maker.

Have placed a cup in ice collector and now collecting 1 cup every 2 days.

June 11, 2011 Flag

My refrigerator has a bottom freezer with an ice maker. This is the second time we have had water in the bottom of the freezer. The first time water ran all over the floor. The repair man put in a new timer and the repair was $300. It has happened again. We shut off the ice maker. Would it be cheaper to replace the ice maker or have another part to fix. I don't dare to go away and have the house flooded.

By Joyce E.

When did you do the original $300 repair? Call them back and complain that they did not fix the problem. If it was recent you may be under warranty.

I agree with OliveOyl. To take it one step further have the person who did the warranty work return and this time completely remove the ice maker and disconnect it so you no longer have it leaking on your kitchen floor. Make your own ice cubes by using the ice cube trays.

March 8, 2014 Flag

We recently remodeled our kitchen and are waiting on a few things to arrive. We moved our refridgerator to a new location but the water lines are not hooked up on the ice maker. I have noticed water leaking on the side where the ice maker is on several occasions. Any advice on how to fix this? I think once we have the water lines hooked back up we should be okay, but for now I would like to solve this issue. Thanks.

By Steve from Chicago, IL

I recently had my floors removed for a toilet leak. When they removed the flooring under the LG freezer/fridg started to leak on the right side where the ice maker is. It didn't leak all the time but ice started building up under the freezer drawer...it never had any issues before it was moved. Could this have been caused when they moved my Refridgerator?

December 5, 2013 Flag

What can be the solution? My refrigerator continues to drip water from the dispenser even though the water has been disconnected for some time.

By T Ponton

Did you ever resolve your problem? I'm having the same issue. Ordered a new water inlet assembly but hasnt come yet. I shut the water supply off but water dispenser still leaks even though no water comes out. If I push the dispenser lever for a glass of water. Unless it's dripping from water still left in the line.

December 27, 2012 Flag

Our ice maker was overfilling the tray and creating a mess in the freezer on our side by side GE. Since we rarely use ice I just unplugged the ice maker unit and removed it from our freezer. I left the water line open because we do use the filtered cold water to drink.

My question is, is this OK? My concern is will the water tube in freezer ever "turn on" since the unit is now removed. The water is still fully connected because I couldn't see a way to only shut-off the ice maker water supply without losing the cold filtered water supply. Anyone ever do this? Any problems removing the ice maker, but leaving the water supply connected? Thank you.

By Sonny

Plumber husband just said once the ice maker is unhooked it's not sending a signal to dispenser valve, therefore no water! Hope that helps!

March 13, 2012 Flag

We have a Frigidaire refrigerator, a simple 2 door top and bottom. The ice maker works, it cycles, but the water leaks out of the bottom front. Is this an easy fix?

By Lety

Did you get that figured out? Curious about solutions - thanks

December 22, 2008 Flag

I have a leaky side by side with water/ice dispenser, but no supply line is hooked up to the unit. I have a frozen lake in the bottom of the freezer, how do I fix this? I took everything out of the fridge/freezer for two days to let it thaw. About 2 weeks later I am leaking again. Please help!

Joe from Clinton Township, Mich

I had the same issue your freezer's defrost system has a blocked drain hose under the freezer or the freezer drain (inside bottom) is blocked by ice or some other item.

I had to remove the back wall of the freezer to fully defrost the freezer and check for blockage (it was ice for me). It's easy to remove the back wall of the freezer or you can call a service person for approx $150.

Its not the ice maker - in the floor of the freezer is a small drain that lets the water drain out after it goes through defrost - it sounds like it is plugged up and not draining. Clean out the ice and look and see if you can see the drain - if you can- take some weed eater string and run it through that should clean out the drain. No more frozen lakes.

November 29, 2011 Flag

After the ice dumps into the ice bin, about a quarter to half a cup of water runs into the ice bin. The ice maker is on a Kenmore refrigerator model 106.9557681.

By Ron

Start simple, make sure your refrigerator is level; especially side to side. Next, if the previous yielded no joy, try adjusting the ice cube size, often a lever, located in plain sight adjacent to the plastic cover on the ice-maker module itself.

Otherwise, look under the plastic cover (it often just snaps off with moderate finger pressure), adjust the size setting screw as has been earlier recommended. Next, in logical progression, try replacing the water valve, usually located on the bottom rear of the 'frige. The incoming water line will attach to this valve. You'll need to locate the ID plate/decal for the model & probably the serial numbers of your machine (the location will be offered by most online parts purveyors).

Shop, you'll find a disparity in prices; don't overlook local sources, they'll often price match to get the sale, plus you'll often save the shipping. I think you'll find that the timer function is handled within the ice-maker module itself, although there are a few exceptions. You may be pleasanly surprised by the economy of replacing the ice-maker module in its entirety; it's usually simply done too. Can you see the usual pair of fasteners below the unit? There will be a wiring harness to disconnect as well, generally hidden between the ice-maker module & the rear wall of the freezing compartment.

You had best unplug the 'frige before performing the disconnect; 110 volts in combination with water IS hazardous to your breathing permit! I have only replaced ONE complete ice-maker module which I have owned personally, & that was caused by the abyssmally hard water found in the area.

September 10, 2010 Flag

Water drips into icemaker bucket after ice is deposited, any help?

By Angie V. from Seattle

Check thermostat in refrigerator.

May 29, 2010 Flag

My side by side refrigerator leaks water into the ice bin when filling the ice tray with water. The water leaks as it enters bin from the chute.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJune 11, 2013
Refrigerator
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Refrigerator Ice Maker
Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Getting Water
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
🎉
🎄