Identifying Small Black Bugs

Category Insects
A bunch of ants on a white background.
Having unidentified insects infesting your home can be annoying. It helps to know what kind they are when determining the best way to be rid of them. This is a guide about identifying small black bugs.

I spent some considerable amount of money until I realized that I had to identify the bugs myself. I have not found an exterminator with identification capability.

The key to getting rid of tiny black bugs on kitchen floor is first identifying what they are. Check out what has worked for others in this guide.

Tiny black bugs next to a penny for scale.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

How can I identify these tiny bugs that are almost invisible, although they are black? We have almost white carpeting in most of the rooms and you have to look very closely to see them. When you are just ready to pick them up, they begin to move. I now use the method of getting them on paper and then placing them in an tight used medicine bottle. Some live for weeks some so tiny the look like this: ( . ) others looks like tiny beetles. You don't notice they have wings until they are turned upside down. I cannot see legs, nor antenna, just this ( . ).

They have been found mostly by our PC tower, others in the master bedroom. I am going zonkers trying to find out if I need an exterminator and are they dangerous to our health. Anyone, someone, please help or refer me to an authority on bugs. The exterminators will not come out unless you identify them, dud, I can't. Thank you and please help.

By CR

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like you have either a flea infestation (Note fleas are very small but do not fly they jump) or the start of a termite infestation. Best thing to do either way is bomb fog your whole house. Good luck.

Best Answer

I think your problem is even simpler than you think. First if you have an extension agent for your area he will usually come out or you can take him a sample of the bugs and if he doesn't know he will send them to the state university, free, and they will identify them.

But, I think you have a mold problem and these bugs only eat mold, hard to see but with a bright light you probably can see the tiny things on the wall and when the light gets near them they will move. I had to use bleach just a little in a spray bottle will do and they are gone, if you do have mold then you have moisture and that is your big problem. You will have booklice or mold bugs as long as moisture creates mold. I thought I was crazy when I found them on my brand new house with white walls, almost like black spots but they moved if you stared long enough. Smile, this did go away with a little staying with the spray. And a dehumidifier on the ac because our house was too airtight.

Since last fall, when I purchased a new bed spread, I have been plagued by tiny (head of a pin) black bugs. They live in my bed, which I have sprayed so much I have sinus problems. There is the tiny black stage. There is the cloth and larvae stage, the feeding on the sheets stage, and the depositing stage (they have a drain field of "or and" spots 6 to 12 inches X 4 inches. The University of Minnesota saw no insects, the building management said it was in my mind; the pest control, well, I can't say here. I have pictures.

By Bob R from Plymouth, MN

Best Answer

The next time you see these black bugs, try using some Scotch tape to grab a few (try not to crush them). Stick your sample to an index card. Show this to an entomologist or professional pest control person.

For eradication (once you identify them), I suggest contacting a professional pest control company.

I walked into my bathroom (small bathroom with no window that's able to open) to notice a black spot on the wall about a inch and a half wide. I got closer to realize it was a cluster of little black bugs! They move like worms. Does anyone have any idea what these are?

By KaleyM from US.

Best Answer

I just saw this tonight. If they're wormlike, they might be maggots, which turn into flies. There might be a water problem in that spot, and flies lay eggs in water. The eggs hatch into maggots. Kill the maggots and try to fix the wetness, if any. I've seen them on the bathroom sink counter, if water splashes behind the faucet and puddles there, for instance, in hot muggy weather. It only takes a day or so for them to appear. I wash them down the drain with hot, hot water. I have to remember to dry up stray splashes on muggy days.

Anyone know what this insect is? It's in my dining room and driving me crazy. I just noticed it yesterday, it doesn't have wings. I have vacuumed and mopped and am deep cleaning everything, but am still seeing some.

Answers

It looks like some kind of beetle. Put a few in a plastic bag and take it to a place that sells pesticides.

It looks like a silverfish to me. They like to hide out in damp and dark places. If you google them, you'll find several suggestions on how to get rid of them. Good luck!

Anonymous

If they keep appearing and I think they look like bed bugs. Aghhh. Get diascomatis earth and spread it all over the house. It dries up their bodies. Amazon sells it. Make sure it is food grade then it won't hurt you or your pets.

the legs and antlers make me think it's a type of silverfish

These are definitely not bed bugs and it is very bad for your health to spread diatomaceous all over your house. It is a food grade product but that only means it will not kill you if you ingest it. It is however, very dangerous to breath it in so you should only use it cracks and voids so it can not be stirred up when fans, air conditioners, heaters and vacuums can stir it up into the air. I usually compare it to baking flour. Yes you can eat it but do you really think it is safe to be breathing it in?

I agree it's definitely not bed bugs, I had my pest guy come out and spray for it 

Generally, control of pest beetles entails inspection of your plants and knowing what common beetle pests are in your area. Trap adults early in the season to identify and monitor pest populations before they become severe issues.

If you spot eggs laid on foliage or larvae actively feeding on foliage you can use a Neem Oil product to kill them before they hatch. Neem acts as a contact insecticide, so it has limited residual impact. Generalist Predators such as Ladybugs, Mantids, or Spined Soldier Bugs can also be released to control foliage feeding larvae.

If you see eggs or larvae that are on or within storage grains, you can use Diatomaceous Earth mixed with the grain; be sure to use food grade.

Controlling beetles is most effective when successful treatment of their immature stages is done. Manual removal of visible eggs and applications of Beneficial Nematodes to control larvae should be done early in the growing season before damage appears.

I am trying to identify a bug. It is pure black, a little bigger than a straight pin head, non biting, and loves window light facing north. They are always crawling, but if disturbed fly and try to hide in the curtains. They disappear when the sun goes down. The next day a lot of dead ones are on the sills and a lot on the window. If I wipe them with bleach saturated paper towels I still get more the next day. I read all of TFun advice, but none fit my black bugs so far. This is the second year they've appeared. Hopefully someone can identify them for me. I can't add a photo since it's 10 pm and they've disappeared to where I don't know. Thanks in advance.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

What are the very small,(1/16) of an inch, thin, flat, fast crawling,

dark color,bugs that I sometimes see in my window sill, and sometimes other places in my apt. They are hard to smash!

This summer, the entire house is dealing with these teeny little black hard-shelled bugs. They are about the size of a pencil-point, slightly oval, with wings that protrude out from under the back end of their shells. They crawl more than they fly, but they can fly, and spend most of their energy getting close to lamps, windows, or any source of water. (If you leave even a drop of water in the bottom of a glass in the bathroom, you're sure to find one or two of these little critters in there when you return.)

They don't seem terribly interested in food or in the kitchen areas (other than the windowsills and the sink) so I don't think they're flour weevils; they don't bite (that I know of) and they're too small to be bedbugs; and they're too slow-moving and hard-shelled to be silverfish. (To kill them, you have to smush them. Like, hard.)

They die fairly quickly, and never get any bigger than the size of a pin-head. They're more an annoyance than anything, but I sure would like to know what they are.

We're in a Midwest city, and we've had lots of rain this year, with daytime temps about 80 on average. Not sure if that's relevant.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Does it look like any of these? (midge)

https://www.wha  bug.com/?s=midge

I now see there are tiny black itchy bug, how do I treat? They are outside, inside, and getting in my hair.

Answers

Without a picture, it's hard to identify. Put the bugs in a sealed plastic bag. Take it to a place that sells pesticides and they can help. You can also send a picture to your local Cooperative Extension.

I don't know but maybe fleas or bedbugs? I know diatomaceous earth gets rid of many insects including fleas...Maybe look into it to see if youre comfortable using it

DE diascanthous earth. FOOD GRADE Amazon sells it. Put it where you see the bugs. The DE dries them up. Its safe for humans and dogs and cats to eat. Vacuum it up after few days. Reapply. Same

There are these really small but that I don't know what they are I usually see them in the corner on my base board in my room please help asap

I've found these little black bugs in my bathroom the past 2-3 summers. I've noticed a few in my bedroom lately too; the bathroom is connected to bedroom. I have no idea what they are, but they bother me so much! They are super tiny, black bugs. They don't fly or bite that I've noticed. We have someone professionally spray our house in the fall and spring, I have sprayed in the bathroom and bedroom with good bug killing stuff, but yet cannot get rid of them. Please help!

I thought my kitty had somehow managed to catch fleas even though she is strictly an indoor cat. I've noticed her scratching a lot lately, but I don't see any flea symptoms on her. Recently at night when I lay on my bed I feel really tiny insects jumping all over me, but I have no bite marks. I did the flea water test but no fleas, just some bugs that look like fruit flies. Any ideas? It's really annoying to feel these things jumping all over you. I live in a ground floor apartment.

There are many conditions that people assume are cat or dog flea bites and itching. However, the bites and itching are often from many other bugs or conditions, including mites, mosquitos, dandruff or highly contagious skin mites (that do not bite but move in under the skin and eat the keratin, etc., irritating the skin). Some people try to cure itching and skin problems with one home method or another to save money but are usually unsuccessful because they do not know the exact cause of the problem, try useless remedies, and their cat or dog just continues to suffer. By the time they finally take their poor animals to the vet, the problem is much more serious and requires more expensive care. So they then complain about "expensive" vet care.

I recently read a woman's tip to prevent bed bugs from coming into her bed. She placed unused dryer sheets on each corner, under the bottom sheet. She explained that bed bugs do not like the smell of dryer sheets so avoid the bed. Bed bugs do not have the ability to smell anything as they do not have the required smell apparatus (my husband is an entomologist). Bed Bugs are only attracted by an animal's body heat so, as we humans spend alot of time in bed, the bugs home in and stay in our beds.

Please, if you are not absolutely 100% correct about a problem and cure for your pet, do not try strange remedies as the suffering continues, will become worse, and may endanger your pet's life!

Anonymous

It doesn't matter if your cast is strictly an indoor cat, she still needs to be treated monthly with a flea/tick repellent. My cat is also strictly an indoor cat and we right we could skip one summer... We couldn't. You could've just called the vet and asked if you needed to treat it and they would've told you YES! What you're describing sounds EXACTLY like what we went through when our at had fleas( they were only in the rooms our cat layed in, not bed). If they have infested your sheets, you have a serious problem

Could you please identify the type of bug this is? There are a pack of them on my balcony. I would like to know how to get rid of them also. Whatever you could do to help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a really bad picture, I can't tell whether it is a ladybug, a bedbug, or a stinkbug. We would need to know:

1) its size (maybe photo it next to a penny)

2) its shape

3) its colour (either a better photo or tell us)

4) its activities (fly? crawl? etc)

I suggest you resubmit a photo for a better answer