Crafts Using Old Windows

Category Other
Old windows can be reused for a variety of craft projects. This guide is about crafts using old windows.

Instead of turning an old window into a decorative mirror, I decided to smudge up the glass with grey acrylic paint. I then finger painted "milk" bottles in each pane. This went well with my country kitchen/vintage decor.

By Tracy from Matheson, Ontario

This is a guide about painting faux stained glass on old windows. With a few inexpensive supplies you can create your own faux stained glass window to display in your home.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making an old window coffee table. Repurpose an old window and make a unique coffee table.

Re-purpose your old window frame by hanging it on a wall and placing flowers according the season. It will give your house a more vintage and stylish look.

You will need and old window frame, flowers, and metal chain for hanging the window. Hang the old window by using a metal chain. Then attach flower boxes at the end of the frame.

Total Time: 1 hour

I was given this old frame, and decided to make it look realistic. I put a cut up poster behind the places where the panes were, and it looks like I am gazing out into a serene waterfall in the woods.

Upcycle an old wood window into a wonderful outdoor picture frame.

I have been using old window panes to put photos in. I'm attaching some for the bathroom and general grandkid pics. Everyone loves them and they were so easy.

Window frame without glass featuring craft items for each season or holiday.

Our master bathroom had no windows and I wanted something in there that made me feel as though it did and looked pretty to match my floral theme. I like to free hand paint so I bought an old wooden 2 pane glass window which I bought at our local salvage place that recycles, it cost $2.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Creative used for reusing old multi-pane windows. Post your own ideas here.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Here is an old window pane I decorated.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Keep an eye out for old windows with wood frames at yard sales. They can be made into rustic looking picture frames. Find pictures that are a little smaller than the window and use a matte, which can be found at any craft store, to give it a finished look.

Reclaim an old window by adhering broken glass, old hardware or shells (use your imagination) using a strong bonding compound. This window can be put outside or in

Ideas for decorating old wooden windows, for inside and outside use. Advice as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have found several old glass window panes. They are clean and without frames. I just cannot think of what to do with them. I would love to create something crafty with them; perhaps to sell. Any ideas?

By Karen from WV

Answers

Hi!
I came across several of these vintage windows that I didn't want to throw away. So I got a few books on decoupage (library) and decoupaged and painted them. On a few of them without pains, I got theorem stencils, one was of a snow man, and one was ocean shells, (theorem means they are layered and have a more polished look than just a one layer stencil). Neither of these projects are difficult. And with decoupage, you can go on line and just do a search for decoupage under glass, on windows or just plain decoupage, you can get so very motivated just by looking at all the beautiful work out there. I have sold a couple of them, but I also used oil stencil paint for the holiday themed stencils, used heavy gauge rope on back and hung them on the porch during the holidays. I hope I helped you some, good luck, I had a ton of fun!

Patti

Why don't you try sketching on them? They would look great sketched. You can place the pattern underneath and use a diamond point tool to sketch with. Good luck to you!

Here is a pic of one of my windows. I saved my cards from my children and glued them in the pane area.

I have a cousin who removes the glass from the window pane and replaces it with mirrors. She also does stained glass. One of the window panes she made that I admired was a small window pane that she turned on its side, added the mirrors and then built a windowbox to add onto the bottom of the window pane. I really liked that piece. She had planted some small flowers in it. Loved it.

On a craft show on HGTV the other day, she took glass and painted it pretty colors and hung them on the wall with mirror brackets.

At a craft fair last summer, one couple was selling them like hot cakes for bulletin boards. They had put cork board on the back of some, chicken wire with mini clothspins on some. They weren't even decorated. I have a four pane frame and plan on putting my collection of dried leaves in the panes, what I am going to mount them on I don't know yet.

I made a mirror with and old window pane. I scuffed up the side so different colors of paint would come through and placed a mirror behind it.

You can decorate them with static cling words, Dry erase markers, flowers, critters, etc. Then, use some binder clips to hang them. You might want to put a small bit of cardboard or plastic or foam just inside the clip where it meets the glass (but is out of site) for security. I hope that helps. PBP

I have old windows and would like to put sayings on them. Where can I get letters to use, stencils, or stick on?

Answers

Most craft stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc., have the materials you need.

I found some at The Dollar Store, the vinyl peel and stick type without glue that doesn't leave residue on your window or wall.

Anonymous

The best place is Hobby Lobby or AC Moore

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I'm always looking for old windows to paint. As you see here they make great welcome signs, and much loved gifts!

By Laurie from MI

Nice painting on an old window.

Comment Like this photo? 1