Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Identifying biting bugs is the first step in trying to eliminate them from your home or to repel them when outdoors. This is a guide about identifying little black biting bugs.

January 1, 2014 Flag

I feel very desperate as to how to get rid of these annoying little bugs. First of all, I have to tell you that I am hundred percent sure they are not fleas nor bed bugs. I know this since I have used extensively, bombs and other chemicals, that would have already wiped them out.

Also I collected some samples and showed it to the local bug inspector companies and have been told the same thing. That they are not bed bugs or fleas. What they could tell me was that they could be "black nuisance bugs", but he was not very sure about it.
Let me try to briefly describe them. They live on my clothes and they bite me during day or night. You feel them moving which makes it very hard to fall in sleep. The only solution I could find was to get up and take my clothes off and just shake or pound them to make them fall on a white surface. They actually do fall when you do that. And whey they fall, they do not jump around or move, they just stay put in one place and you can just pick them up and they would still not move on your hand. (I know they are not fleas.) Currently my only solution was to keep vacuuming the house and try to catch them the way I described, but I keep finding them again and again.
Any idea is welcome.

By John E

Best Answer

How long have you had these bugs? Do they fly, walk, jump? Are they maybe in the dryer or something? I had a nasty bout with fleas and spent 3 grand on chemicals boms exterminators (I know you said they were not fleas), but what did work was salt. I threw salt around the house all over (we wore shoes for 3 days) then vacuumed. That was it - they were all gone!

I found salt works with all bugs. This should at least kill the eggs, then stop the cycle of what ever they are. I'd also try dishsoap in a upside down margarine lid on the floor to maybe catch them? or like a home made fruit fly trap if they fly? Something else I'd try is doing the laundry at the laundromat, or changing detergent. Borax and salt was actually the recipe for fleas, so maybe add some borax to your laundry to stop the cycle there.

Good luck!

Best Answer

May 27, 2015 Flag

My RV has got little, biting black bugs. They are not fleas or ticks, but they bite like them. I asked a pet shop owner what he would do. He suggested that I try the original, yellow Listerine. He uses it at his pet shop to kill mites, fleas and ticks. I did, and it works!

I put some in a spray bottle to spray around the RV, on the dog, and on us. Yellow Listerine does not stain fabric nor is it harmful to humans and pets. One has to keep using it for a while because the eggs left hatch into nymphs. They bite too, but the yellow Listerine does kill them all.

Source: Petter Patter Pets

Have had this problem to for three years now and everyone keeps saying they are midges as we live in far north Queensland. No they are not. Have got some off my body and they are now floating in mentholated spirits and was going to march them to the Doctor and ask for a referral to the tropical health dept which I was advised to do by CSIRO. However, going to get Listerine right now and do your recommendation. I have four automatic pyrethrin sprays going off every 7 minutes but they keep coming back. Listerine sounds much better. Will let you know the outcome, but this has given me hope as I am slowly going INSANE. I am thankful though as they do not effect my son. Very Much thanks, Caroline

October 13, 2016 Flag

I have tiny black bugs that bite. They are almost invisible to the naked eye. They are in and on everything including laundry. I feel them on me and in my hair. My husband thinks I'm crazy; I'm starting to think I am. Someone please help me.

I am with DCA: I don't see any bugs in that photo. Perhaps if it were focused better, we might. But they are different sizes and colors.

Please see a doctor. The only bugs that a almost naked to the eye are called "No SeeUms" and they are indigenous to Alaska.

I hope these suggestions help.

November 2, 2015 Flag

What kind of bug do I have that looks like specks of black lint? I find them on my bed and you can not tell if they are bugs they are so small and they are not moving. They bite. I can feel them on me, in my hair, on my face, and on my arms and legs, but I can't see them. What are they and how do I get rid of them? I had fleas so I had my house sprayed. I sprayed and bombed five or six times, but nothing helps. I still have these bugs. I hope someone can help, they are eating me alive. The people that sprayed came back after they got rid of the fleas and said they did not see anything. They even checked for bedbugs.

Best Answer

Could be bedbugs. For all bugs, garden grade, not pool grade, diatomaceous earth. Safe for humans and animals, just don't inhale it. Cattlemen feed it to their livestock for internal parasites. I sprinkle it in our dogs food and sometimes dust them with it. Make an easy duster with an empty plastic water bottle. Dry it well and punch holes in the cap. Funny, I put one in the drainer to dry and when I went back to get it, it wasn't there. I asked my daughter, saying I had the cap in my pocket and she thought I said I have a cat in my pocket. Now, I tell her I have a cat in my pocket and I know how to use it. You can tell we are both nuts!

February 6, 2005 Flag

I have reached desperate mode at this point. I live in a apartment (ground level) in Ohio. Since early December 2004, I have been dealing with some type of black flying bug that is about half the size of a tiny pin head - a mere fleck! It has a lot of the characteristics of a no see um. It hides during the day and comes out at night.

The most active hours are between 2:00 and 6:00 am. It bites me under the covers and leaves my body feeling like it has hot prickly bristles on it. It gets in my ears, mouth, eyes and nose while I am trying to sleep. I've resorted to masks, scarves etc., but it somehow gets inside of them. I had an exterminator spray and bomb. He took my samples but couldn't find anything. I know I am not hallucinating because when I stay at other peoples homes I have no problem. I've been in apt. for 2 yrs., carpets have been steam cleaned, no pets and no plants. I never keep trash out or fruit.

This is the distinguishing appearance - these tiny black dots appear to be intertwined in clothing/carpet fuzz. So when people look at my samples they look very hairy/fuzzy and people dismiss them as fuzz! The only thing I can think it may have come from was a box that I bought an artificial xmas tree near the time this started. The box was labeled Japan and was most likely shipped by boat and then stored in a warehouse. Any ideas on a tiny, fuzzy, biting bug possibly from Asia? I'll be happy with any help so I can sleep!

Thank you,
Sarah from Ohio

PS At night it also makes this pinging noise like it's hitting my pillow near my ear.

Best Answer

This reminded me of a post last year so I started looking:

First, I'd wash my bedding with borax. Let it soak a while. Vacuum your mattress, carpets and pillows.

Another suggestion besides an exterminator which it sounds like you have already tried, is using an insect repellent. You might need to try a few different ones to see if any of these are effective so you can at least sleep.

Check with your county extension service or public health department. One way to catch some would be to put a piece of tape, sticky side up when you start to feel them. They sound like they are very small and that would prevent the fuzz from getting in with them.

Best wishes for getting rid of these little critters.

Susan from ThriftyFun

September 6, 2016 Flag

For about a week now something has been biting my arms and legs at night. Not just in my bed, but on my couch. They bite more when the lights are off. I know it isn't bed bugs because I have experienced those before. I know where and what to look for to find those, and nothing has turned up.

Whatever it is can fly because it bites parts that aren't touching the furniture as well as those that are, and I never feel a crawling sensation. I have noticed small flying insects around the house. Mostly just a few fruit flies or drain flies that I have been killing off.

But, there have been a few small, dark-winged bugs as well. They look like small flies, with a triangular shape when at rest. Aside from that, a small speck occasionally flies past my phone screen or laptop screen if the room is dark. It almost looks like a dust mote, but it moves quickly. I have yet to catch anything actually on me or my bed, but my legs and sometimes arms, end up covered in red welts similar to mosquito bites. I live in north Georgia, in a rural area. I am the only person being bitten thus far.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Small biting black dot bug that can fly. Not bed bugs and they jump.

September 16, 2015 Flag

I have just found these tiny little black bugs in my bedroom. They're all over the skirting boards and I have seen them on my bedside table. I have also just found one in my actual bedding. I have had bites before which I thought were bed bugs, but these little things don't seem to be bed bugs to me. Can anybody possibly help me ID them please? Thanks in advance!

I'm finding these lil black or brown bugs I tube and they don't seems to be fleas cause they are very easy to kill they are just appearing out the blue

January 4, 2015 Flag

Can someone please help me? I have just moved out of home into a small flat, as I am young you can kind of imagine what my flat is like. It is tidy, but not amazing and I keep finding these bugs everywhere. They are tiny, and when I say tiny I mean tiny, the only way you know they are on you is if you feel them tickling your skin and you have a close look.

My flat mate and I have both noticed them on the couch a lot and that seems to be where they all go. This couch is from my flat mate's father and was in his shed and was cleaned before we got it so I don't think they can keep coming from there as I have scrubbed and vacuumed it heaps.

I really hate bugs and have great pride in keeping my house clean so as you can probably tell I am getting sick and tired of these bugs. I'm not sure if they bite, I think they might do and just leave a small mark. They are black and not round at all they are more long and slight squirmy, but so very very tiny. They are everywhere, we have already tried bombs and fly spray. Someone please help me.

By Tara B

Try scrubbing your skin, your whole body, with an exfoliating glove & soap while showering. Boil the clothes giving you the crawling sensation. It will significantly decrease the crawling sensation on your clothes and skin if you do this daily.

January 4, 2013 Flag

Only very recently I have bites on my ankles almost like mossie bites and they leave a tiny pink spots (like mossie bite after they stop itching). Today I caught them on me, it's black very tiny. You can barely see them. There are ones a bit bigger, like black pepper sprinkles, and there's a few of them I captured. Then they disappeared, I do not see anymore. I need to know if it's related to pets (unlike fleas when captured they snap when squashed these don't) or carpet pests. Would pesticide kill these bugs? I have never seen these bugs. Could they also be coming from plants soil?
Kind regards.
Thank you.

By Julie

October 29, 2010 Flag

I am having trouble with bugs. We have extremely tiny black bugs, compared to coffee grounds and black pepper. Our dog had fleas in the summer, but I think we took care of the problem.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMay 1, 2013
Eco Defense Bed Bug Killer
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs