Browsing: Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Identifying biting bugs is the first step in trying to eliminate them from your home or to repel them when outdoors. This is a guide about identifying little black biting bugs.

Itching from a bug bite.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 1, 2014 Flag

I feel very desperate as to how to get rid of these annoying little bugs. First of all, I have to tell you that I am hundred percent sure they are not fleas nor bed bugs. I know this since I have used extensively, bombs and other chemicals, that would have already wiped them out.

Also I collected some samples and showed it to the local bug inspector companies and have been told the same thing. That they are not bed bugs or fleas. What they could tell me was that they could be "black nuisance bugs", but he was not very sure about it.
Let me try to briefly describe them. They live on my clothes and they bite me during day or night. You feel them moving which makes it very hard to fall in sleep. The only solution I could find was to get up and take my clothes off and just shake or pound them to make them fall on a white surface. They actually do fall when you do that. And whey they fall, they do not jump around or move, they just stay put in one place and you can just pick them up and they would still not move on your hand. (I know they are not fleas.) Currently my only solution was to keep vacuuming the house and try to catch them the way I described, but I keep finding them again and again.
Any idea is welcome.
Thanks!

By John E

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You do not say where you live. That might be helpful. I would try to find out what these things are; I have never heard of "black nuisance bugs" - sounds like something this fellow made up to me. Do a search on the internet. Phone your public health office. Contact your Department of Agriculture or a university science department. Are these insects breeding in your home or coming in from outside? These are all things you need to investigate to be able to get rid of them.

Read More Answers...

November 2, 2015 Flag

What kind of bug do I have that looks like specks of black lint? I find them on my bed and you can not tell if they are bugs they are so small and they are not moving. They bite. I can feel them on me, in my hair, on my face, and on my arms and legs, but I can't see them. What are they and how do I get rid of them? I had fleas so I had my house sprayed. I sprayed and bombed five or six times, but nothing helps. I still have these bugs. I hope someone can help, they are eating me alive. The people that sprayed came back after they got rid of the fleas and said they did not see anything. They even checked for bedbugs.

Best Answer

Could be bedbugs. For all bugs, garden grade, not pool grade, diatomaceous earth. Safe for humans and animals, just don't inhale it. Cattlemen feed it to their livestock for internal parasites. I sprinkle it in our dogs food and sometimes dust them with it. Make an easy duster with an empty plastic water bottle. Dry it well and punch holes in the cap. Funny, I put one in the drainer to dry and when I went back to get it, it wasn't there. I asked my daughter, saying I had the cap in my pocket and she thought I said I have a cat in my pocket. Now, I tell her I have a cat in my pocket and I know how to use it. You can tell we are both nuts!

Read More Answers...

May 27, 2015 Flag

My RV has got little, biting black bugs. They are not fleas or ticks, but they bite like them. I asked a pet shop owner what he would do. He suggested that I try the original, yellow Listerine. He uses it at his pet shop to kill mites, fleas and ticks. I did, and it works!

I put some in a spray bottle to spray around the RV, on the dog, and on us. Yellow Listerine does not stain fabric nor is it harmful to humans and pets. One has to keep using it for a while because the eggs left hatch into nymphs. They bite too, but the yellow Listerine does kill them all.

Source: Petter Patter Pets

February 6, 2005 Flag

I have reached desperate mode at this point. I live in a apartment (ground level) in Ohio. Since early December 2004, I have been dealing with some type of black flying bug that is about half the size of a tiny pin head - a mere fleck! It has a lot of the characteristics of a no see um. It hides during the day and comes out at night.

The most active hours are between 2:00 and 6:00 am. It bites me under the covers and leaves my body feeling like it has hot prickly bristles on it. It gets in my ears, mouth, eyes and nose while I am trying to sleep. I've resorted to masks, scarves etc., but it somehow gets inside of them. I had an exterminator spray and bomb. He took my samples but couldn't find anything. I know I am not hallucinating because when I stay at other peoples homes I have no problem. I've been in apt. for 2 yrs., carpets have been steam cleaned, no pets and no plants. I never keep trash out or fruit.

This is the distinguishing appearance - these tiny black dots appear to be intertwined in clothing/carpet fuzz. So when people look at my samples they look very hairy/fuzzy and people dismiss them as fuzz! The only thing I can think it may have come from was a box that I bought an artificial xmas tree near the time this started. The box was labeled Japan and was most likely shipped by boat and then stored in a warehouse. Any ideas on a tiny, fuzzy, biting bug possibly from Asia? I'll be happy with any help so I can sleep!

Thank you,
Sarah from Ohio

PS At night it also makes this pinging noise like it's hitting my pillow near my ear.

Best Answer

This reminded me of a post last year so I started looking:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf629910.tip.html

First, I'd wash my bedding with borax. Let it soak a while. Vacuum your mattress, carpets and pillows.

Another suggestion besides an exterminator which it sounds like you have already tried, is using an insect repellent. You might need to try a few different ones to see if any of these are effective so you can at least sleep.

Check with your county extension service or public health department. One way to catch some would be to put a piece of tape, sticky side up when you start to feel them. They sound like they are very small and that would prevent the fuzz from getting in with them.

Best wishes for getting rid of these little critters.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Read More Answers...

September 16, 2015 Flag

I have just found these tiny little black bugs in my bedroom. They're all over the skirting boards and I have seen them on my bedside table. I have also just found one in my actual bedding. I have had bites before which I thought were bed bugs, but these little things don't seem to be bed bugs to me. Can anybody possibly help me ID them please? Thanks in advance!

insect in plastic bagBlack Biting InsectsBlack Biting Insects

The photo of the bites looks exactly like the pictures I just saw that were SCABIES. Especially the track of bumps in a row. Hope that helps.

Read More Answers...

January 4, 2015 Flag

Can someone please help me? I have just moved out of home into a small flat, as I am young you can kind of imagine what my flat is like. It is tidy, but not amazing and I keep finding these bugs everywhere. They are tiny, and when I say tiny I mean tiny, the only way you know they are on you is if you feel them tickling your skin and you have a close look.

My flat mate and I have both noticed them on the couch a lot and that seems to be where they all go. This couch is from my flat mate's father and was in his shed and was cleaned before we got it so I don't think they can keep coming from there as I have scrubbed and vacuumed it heaps.

I really hate bugs and have great pride in keeping my house clean so as you can probably tell I am getting sick and tired of these bugs. I'm not sure if they bite, I think they might do and just leave a small mark. They are black and not round at all they are more long and slight squirmy, but so very very tiny. They are everywhere, we have already tried bombs and fly spray. Someone please help me.

By Tara B

These may be flour weevils. They come into your home in any flour product. To get rid of them, get rid of any flour based product that is older than 6 months. They should be gone in a couple of weeks.

Read More Answers...

January 4, 2013 Flag

Only very recently I have bites on my ankles almost like mossie bites and they leave a tiny pink spots (like mossie bite after they stop itching). Today I caught them on me, it's black very tiny. You can barely see them. There are ones a bit bigger, like black pepper sprinkles, and there's a few of them I captured. Then they disappeared, I do not see anymore. I need to know if it's related to pets (unlike fleas when captured they snap when squashed these don't) or carpet pests. Would pesticide kill these bugs? I have never seen these bugs. Could they also be coming from plants soil?
Kind regards.
Thank you.

By Julie

I have the same exact problem. Bites on my ankles and other numerous places. The bug sounds extremely familiar. I'm struggling a lot and have cleaned this whole house and I'm getting bitten everyday. I'm desperate for help, did you find any solution?

Read More Answers...

October 29, 2010 Flag

I am having trouble with bugs. We have extremely tiny black bugs, compared to coffee grounds and black pepper. Our dog had fleas in the summer, but I think we took care of the problem.

I did notice black stuff inside the air conditioner in the bedroom which when wiped almost looks like the bugs, but thousands all stuck together. There is also a huge patch of grass in the neighbor's yard that is completely dead. Could it come from there? I am not sure if these are fleas or other bugs. You cannot see them move, but can pick them up with tape and get several. They seem to be everywhere.

I have bombed the house 5 times, 4 gallons of different sprays, flea carpet powder, DE, salt and borax, salt and vinegar, and even hairspray.

These do bite. I am afraid to go out or have someone over. It has been about 2 months now. Everything in my house was cleaned with dog shampoo, vinegar, Windex and even bug stuff.

By Murphy from Woodbury, CT

Thank you for your post. I have these too and am losing my mind. They irritate my skin terribly. Anymore hints would be greatly appreciated. Do you know if the Listerine works that people talk about? Please, Please any help.

Read More Answers...

March 18, 2015 Flag

How do you get rid of them?

By Herbert

Raid.

Read More Answers...

November 9, 2013 Flag

For a while, I've been getting a bunch of bites all over my body and they itch a lot. I think I have over 50 now. I searched through my bed and found tiny black dot looking bugs.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMay 1, 2013
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 3:14:52 AM on 10.0.2.73 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.