Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Category Bugs
Identifying biting bugs is the first step in trying to eliminate them from your home or to repel them when outdoors. This is a guide about identifying little black biting bugs.

Help! We are experiencing pinpoint black bugs. They bite and get on us and our puppy. There are no trails; we just see them in groups. We found them on our mantel, our clothes, our hair, and our toilet. We were recommended to use bed bug spray, but they keep coming back. We don't know what they are. We thought maybe bird mites, but we have no birds only city birds. What can we do to get rid of them? Please help. This is awful.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

i have bits that look like pimples and all kids of marks that look like spots of blood ,itching everywhere also my head .im going crazy itching and cant sleep

We spent a week in an apartment in Paris where I woke up almost every morning with very itchy bites - definitely not bedbugs. I finally found mostly dead little black bugs, no wings, about 1/4 inch in length, on the white tile floor near an outlet. They were renovating the apartment next door, and my theory is that they sprayed, and these bugs came through an outlet in the very old building. But what were they?

I put them in a sealed plastic bag and gave them to the owner, but she has had no luck in identifying them. I would love to be the one who is able to identify them for her.
Thank you...someone!

When the owner puts the bugs in a sealed plastic bag, make sure she doesn't crush them. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's a bug not in the United States.

I have reached desperate mode at this point. I live in a apartment (ground level) in Ohio. Since early December 2004, I have been dealing with some type of black flying bug that is about half the size of a tiny pin head - a mere fleck! It has a lot of the characteristics of a no see um. It hides during the day and comes out at night.

The most active hours are between 2:00 and 6:00 am. It bites me under the covers and leaves my body feeling like it has hot prickly bristles on it. It gets in my ears, mouth, eyes and nose while I am trying to sleep. I've resorted to masks, scarves etc., but it somehow gets inside of them. I had an exterminator spray and bomb. He took my samples but couldn't find anything. I know I am not hallucinating because when I stay at other peoples homes I have no problem. I've been in apt. for 2 yrs., carpets have been steam cleaned, no pets and no plants. I never keep trash out or fruit.

This is the distinguishing appearance - these tiny black dots appear to be intertwined in clothing/carpet fuzz. So when people look at my samples they look very hairy/fuzzy and people dismiss them as fuzz! The only thing I can think it may have come from was a box that I bought an artificial xmas tree near the time this started. The box was labeled Japan and was most likely shipped by boat and then stored in a warehouse. Any ideas on a tiny, fuzzy, biting bug possibly from Asia? I'll be happy with any help so I can sleep!

Thank you,
Sarah from Ohio

PS At night it also makes this pinging noise like it's hitting my pillow near my ear.

Answer Was this helpful? 4
Best Answer

This reminded me of a post last year so I started looking:

http://www.thri  f629910.tip.html

First, I'd wash my bedding with borax. Let it soak a while. Vacuum your mattress, carpets and pillows.

Another suggestion besides an exterminator which it sounds like you have already tried, is using an insect repellent. You might need to try a few different ones to see if any of these are effective so you can at least sleep.

Check with your county extension service or public health department. One way to catch some would be to put a piece of tape, sticky side up when you start to feel them. They sound like they are very small and that would prevent the fuzz from getting in with them.

Best wishes for getting rid of these little critters.

Susan from ThriftyFun

What kind of bug do I have that looks like specks of black lint? I find them on my bed and you can not tell if they are bugs they are so small and they are not moving. They bite. I can feel them on me, in my hair, on my face, and on my arms and legs, but I can't see them. What are they and how do I get rid of them? I had fleas so I had my house sprayed. I sprayed and bombed five or six times, but nothing helps. I still have these bugs. I hope someone can help, they are eating me alive. The people that sprayed came back after they got rid of the fleas and said they did not see anything. They even checked for bedbugs.

Best Answer

Could be bedbugs. For all bugs, garden grade, not pool grade, diatomaceous earth. Safe for humans and animals, just don't inhale it. Cattlemen feed it to their livestock for internal parasites. I sprinkle it in our dogs food and sometimes dust them with it. Make an easy duster with an empty plastic water bottle. Dry it well and punch holes in the cap. Funny, I put one in the drainer to dry and when I went back to get it, it wasn't there. I asked my daughter, saying I had the cap in my pocket and she thought I said I have a cat in my pocket. Now, I tell her I have a cat in my pocket and I know how to use it. You can tell we are both nuts!

I started having the feeling like something crawling on me three months ago and started getting pinprick bites. My doctor can't identify what type of issue I have. The exterminator said there are no bed bugs. Even though I threw out 90% of my clothes and my furniture including the bed they are in my new clothes and everywhere.

I vacuum everyday, wash everyday, and soak my clothes in ammonia, but they come back. I sprayed vinegar and water mix everywhere in my house and felt normal for a few hours. But they came back. They must be in different shapes depending on their stage of life. I see black and also tiny white particles everywhere. I can feel them from my laptop and iPhone.

After I started using coal soap and sulfur shampoo I feel a little relief. I covered my body with calamine lotion and spray DEET before go to bed. So I don't get big bites during the night, but feel pinprick bites instead. Sometimes I get small paper cut looking things on my hands. The worst is at my work. I can't clean crazy like at my house and I have a very tall ceiling. They are living in the ceiling and fall on me as soon as walk in. I get them all over me by the end of day. Because I cleaned the floor so well, now they are targeting my hair and scalp. I spray 91% alcohol on my scalp, but they keep coming back. I can see glitter looking particles on my hands and clothes. They are maybe eggs. I thought they are maybe lice, but the CDC said body lice are easy to eradicate by washing clothes in hot water and drying them in high heat. Yes, I have done all that plus cleaning everyday, but it is not working. I'm a very clean person and am wearing clean clothes everyday. Please someone help me.

Please-return ASAP to your doctor for an overall evaluation and give her/him a copy of this letter to Thrifty Fun. You may have a skin problem that your doctor can identify from your complete explanation here.

What are these tiny black bugs? Every night they fall on my settee and bite. Any idea what these are please, they are tiny, easy to break in half. They can run, but don't fly. They look like black house lizard poo and only appear at night in one place. I think they fall from the wooden ceiling. I've never seen them before, now it's constant. When they started, we saw two bright green beetles on the ceiling which we killed, but they still keep coming. There are dozens every night.

Anonymous

what was it

I have tiny black bugs that bite. They are almost invisible to the naked eye. They are in and on everything including laundry. I feel them on me and in my hair. My husband thinks I'm crazy; I'm starting to think I am. Someone please help me.

Hello, I'm having same bug and doing same thing like you do but I can't get rid of them. Do you have them in your car or work? My issue is at work they follow me everywhere...

I have just found these tiny little black bugs in my bedroom. They're all over the skirting boards and I have seen them on my bedside table. I have also just found one in my actual bedding. I have had bites before which I thought were bed bugs, but these little things don't seem to be bed bugs to me. Can anybody possibly help me ID them please? Thanks in advance!

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Just because that appears like SCABIES does not mean it is , put some rubbing alcohol on it and then aloe Vera from the bottle for sunburns and keep it in the refrigerator. First off, I am experiencing these same stupid bugs and my exterminator told me to not bomb cause it spreads them and he had nothing to help me. To just keep running my sweeper and washing my stuff and using a dryer to kill them. I can tell you this when they bury themselves into your skin it hurts so bad it feels like it's burning. I truly think since my husband does yard work for other people he brought these into our house !! Namely because our cat has them as he is an indoor cat and my dog has them and she is in and out but treated with Frontline Plus and still has them and also the cat is treated too. We've spent money like crazy trying to get rid of these and nothing. Now I am going to try the yellow Listerine . Good luck to you !!

My husband was bitten in bed and thought it was a flea, but I saw a bug that I assume was the one that bit him and it wasn't a flea. It was small about a pin head maybe bigger and it smushed when I killed it. It left a bite that looked like a mosquito bite. Any ideas? It is black and oval shaped?

so here's a great link from Terminix: 10 bugs that look like, but are not bed bugs https://www.ter  -is-it-a-bed-bug

Bed bug: copper-brown when mature, translucent white in nymph state

Black carpet beetle: black-brown

Book louse: colorless to gray/light brown

Spider beetle: red-brown

Flea: black to reddish-brown

Black carpet beetle: black-brown

Spider beetle: red-brown

Flea: black to reddish-brown

is there a chance that it was actually a spider, and not a bug? IE 8 v 6 legs.

Only very recently I have bites on my ankles almost like mossie bites and they leave a tiny pink spots (like mossie bite after they stop itching). Today I caught them on me, it's black very tiny. You can barely see them. There are ones a bit bigger, like black pepper sprinkles, and there's a few of them I captured. Then they disappeared, I do not see anymore. I need to know if it's related to pets (unlike fleas when captured they snap when squashed these don't) or carpet pests. Would pesticide kill these bugs? I have never seen these bugs. Could they also be coming from plants soil?
Kind regards.
Thank you.

By Julie

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I have the same exact problem. Bites on my ankles and other numerous places. The bug sounds extremely familiar. I'm struggling a lot and have cleaned this whole house and I'm getting bitten everyday. I'm desperate for help, did you find any solution?

For a while, I've been getting a bunch of bites all over my body and they itch a lot. I think I have over 50 now. I searched through my bed and found tiny black dot looking bugs. When I crushed it blood came out. What are they? Bed bugs, fleas? I also have a cat and he had fleas.

By Grace

I am so grateful for this I barely found this column after 1 year of fighting this tiny black bugs. I had to throw away my bed my clothes well most of them and now I am spraying everything and laughing. I feel good someone like you just made me feel so important. At Last I have sighed. Thank You so much. I need to get back to spraying. I will say a prayer because I have been searching forever. Virginia

How do you get rid of them?

By Herbert

Raid.

Every time I go to my room or the bathroom some bugs bite me. I can't see them, they fly, and when they bite me they leave a little red mark. Please help me it's starting to get aggravating.

By Josh

It is difficult to identify the bug without more information such as your city and state, house or apartment, any plants in the home and how old is the home? It is also possible that the flying bugs are not the ones that bite you.

You can try a smoke bomb as they are effective for flying insects. However, if you do not know the source of the bugs, they will just hatch and continue.

Something keeps biting me when I sit on my couch. They are minute, whitish-to-clear little "balls". Since I can't figure out what they are, I can't figure out what to do about them. I just happened to catch one on my neck this a.m. and squished it. It popped when I compressed it like it was full of liquid. Could they be "no-seeum" bites?

By Martha

I would get an attractive cover or a sheet to cover the couch after you get a can of salt from the store and sprinkle it heavily all over the couch, in the corners, under the cushions, everywhere. The reason for the sheet or cover is to not sit on the salt for the two or so days you leave it on the couch. Vacuum the top of the cushions and leave the salt under the cushions. I get the salt out each time I see a flea on a piece of furniture.

What are these little black bugs crawling in my bed and coming from outside my window? They are small and black and there's a thousand of them just by the window and on my curtains and bed.

By Tiffani

Sounds like ants.

I'm having the same problem as several others. I have black and white pinhead bugs that bite, but you never see them move. They can be on your hand or on the floor and they won't move. These bugs look like lint on all my clothes. I spent an entire day cleaning my clothes, and they were all back the next day. Does anyone have any idea what these can be? I'm going crazy. I have bites all over me. I read somewhere that they go in your mouth and ears while you sleep. I wouldn't doubt that. Help. The exterminator and my doctor think I'm going crazy.

Anonymous

I have been having a similar problem. I called out 3 different pest control companies and all said they couldn't identify them and therefore couldn't treat them. One company set out sticky traps - nothing in them. The black and white spots are everywhere. My dogs are all three sneezing and scratching and I have marks all over me even after putting a mattress enclosure on. I set my groceries on the table as I put things away. My food even in fridge and freezer are full of them. I clean and clean and they are right back again. I finally called an indoor air testing company. I have mold in my attic insulation and in my basement. It is obviously being spread through my furnace vents. They will be coming out this week to take care of the problem. I bought an air purifier and keep cleaning until they can get here. Check the symptoms of mold sensitivity - and I think you will be surprised about what mold - particularly black mold can do to you and animals. Check this link http://moldsymptoms.org/

I don't know what they are. They are very little, even smaller than a mosquito. They are hard and black. They are flying all the time in my room, trying to bite me and drinking my blood. I have already killed a lot, but still they are in my room. It's hard to find them in my room, but when I am sitting on table or in the bed laying down they came and try to bite. I just start feeling worse. I need a solution soon, please.

By Fidia

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Does anyone have small black bugs hiding in fuzz or cat hair? I have long hair and they find it on the floor. Twice I have found one in my hair. They have 2 or 3 hairs on them that comes out if you put water on them. They also stand on 2 long legs. I have lived here many years and have never seen them until lately. I hope someone answers before they drive me nuts. Thanks.

By gettz from northwest MT

It may be a bed bug. They are everywhere. Good luck.

I have had a problem with something biting on my feet and legs in my office off and on for 3 years. We have tried shampooing, pesticides, bug bombs, etc. We now sleep in our living room because they have taken over our room. My hair was down to my butt, now, less than 3 months later my hair is 1/4 inch long.

They are black triangle shaped bugs that bite just my dog and I. My doctor told me there are no bugs and for me to make appointment with mental health. I'm tired of being shrugged off by the medical community. I already have health problems and am getting worse. I need help fast. I live in Colorado. It's not scabies, but they are like mites and horribly itchy

By SuzieS.

they are called springtail fleas...they are from window sills with moisture and crawl on beds...and they bite!

These bugs are small, black, and pin head sized. They are very hard to even see. Sometimes I see white ones, also. They seem to get in my clothes and bite. My wife doesn't seem to get bitten or says she can't feel anything on her. What's going on? I'm not crazy. I can feel when something is crawling on me and biting me.

By D

HI, We had an outbreak of cats flees last year and I was always bitten but my husband was not. However I have since found out that we were both being bitten it's just that my skin reacted and his did not. If safe for you to do so, you could take an antihistamine tablet, or use a cream, this should stop you being itchy.

If these are in your bed then they are bed bugs and you need a new bed and possibly the room and rooms closest sprayed as they will spread. Body heat brings them out at night and you may see them different sizes and colours depending on their ages.

If it is on you and you clothing than it my be fleas in which case your house needs treated, which you can do your self. So will any pets that you have.

Hope this helps a little. Best of luck.

I am being overrun with bugs and have no idea what they are. They have come from my garden, whenever I'm out there I'll notice that the bottom of my jeans gets covered in these bugs, maybe 20 or so at once. They're 1-2mm in size, small, black and shiny. When I go to squish them they are able to jump quite far, but on the whole they're quite easily to catch and squish which makes me think they're not fleas.

It's gotten to the point where I don't want to go outside as I get covered in these and they bite, my legs have bite marks all over them. Any ideas what they are and how I get rid of them, I'm worried they're going to infest my house and I'll be stuck with them!

By Louise C

Sounds like fleas to me. Any animal roaming your garden area could have fleas and that's where they came from. Obviously you want to be careful if they are on you when you come inside. Fleas can be pretty nasty to rid yourself of.

There are tiny bugs in my home. Against something dark they look white and against something white they look black or brown. They have been biting. I have no idea what they are, do you? Do you know how I can get rid of them? They seem to react to the cold temps.

By Ronda

Lice? Termites? Sorry if I'm wrong, just trying to make a slim suggestion.

My husband and I have been finding tiny black bugs with yellow mini sized spots on their backs. At first they were only in our bedroom, now they are in our window frames, bathrooms, and many places in our upstairs living area. I am the only one with bites and rash on me. My leg all the way up to my thigh area looks like raw meat. Yesterday I was cleaning my hardwood floors on the downstairs, main living area. I found them even in my dining room and they have appeared in my kitchen and family room, also. The bites itch terribly. I don't have any idea what they are and don't understand why they only bite me and not my husband. I have a doctor's appointment on the 13th of May. That is the earliest date I could get. Do you have any idea what this could be and if it is dangerous? I would appreciate any info I could get. Thank you.

By Shirley from CA

That sounds awful. The bites almost sound like bedbug bites. Bedbugs usually originate in the bedroom, as well, and they are horrendously itchy. Plus only a percentage of the population reacts to the bite--others don't notice them at all. Look for tiny blood spots on your sheets, and look for black dots in the seams of your mattress. It would help to have a picture of the bug. Bedbugs look different depending on where they are in their life cycle. If I were you, I would collect a sample to keep in a jar or ziploc and bring it in to your doc. Even better, get an exterminator to id it for you and give an estimate. For any kind of infestation, you need to react quickly - bugs can breed and spread incredibly quickly. Good luck!

There are tiny black bugs which are present all year, but more in number in the warmer months. They have wings, fly very fast, and bite. They leave tiny red raised bumps on the skin, some of which have a dark center. They seem attracted to the bathroom. What are they and what harm do they do? Also how do I get rid of them?

By MCE

I live in Miami, Florida. When you open the door, these 1/2 inch or less long black hard shelled beetle like bugs fly in. I will be sitting and feel something crawling on my bare arm and it itches. I pick them off. Sometimes they will just be crawling on the computer desk or flittering nearby. When I smash them, they crumble (no juice lol) into teeny-tiny black pepper grain-like crumbs.
I looked at the bug id link provided in an earlier post, but could not find this. Thank you :)

By Gail B.

Load More