Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Identifying biting bugs is the first step in trying to eliminate them from your home or to repel them when outdoors. This is a guide about identifying little black biting bugs.

February 28, 2017 Flag

I had little bugs crawling on me, in my hair and in my clothes. I kept finding black specks that didn't move. I would notice glitter on my face in the sun light. I didn't realize this was scabies. I washed, sprayed and bombed; nothing seemed to work. Unfortunately, I gave scabies to my friend. She told me the only way to get rid of these bugs was to get ivermectin.

My tip is if you are having little black specks and feeling like something is crawling all over your body, see your doctor and have them to prescribe ivermectin. :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many times they are so small that they can't be seen. They burrow under the skin to lay their eggs and that results in a rash, that sometimes looks like little pimples. You are correct in that it takes a prescription usually to get rid of them. We dispense a lot of the cream for it where I work. You leave it on the entire body, from bottom of the feet to your chin for 12 to 14 hours before washing it off. It affects rich and poor alike, clean or dirty.

January 1, 2014 Flag

I feel very desperate as to how to get rid of these annoying little bugs. First of all, I have to tell you that I am hundred percent sure they are not fleas nor bed bugs. I know this since I have used extensively, bombs and other chemicals, that would have already wiped them out.

Also I collected some samples and showed it to the local bug inspector companies and have been told the same thing. That they are not bed bugs or fleas. What they could tell me was that they could be "black nuisance bugs", but he was not very sure about it.
Let me try to briefly describe them. They live on my clothes and they bite me during day or night. You feel them moving which makes it very hard to fall in sleep. The only solution I could find was to get up and take my clothes off and just shake or pound them to make them fall on a white surface. They actually do fall when you do that. And whey they fall, they do not jump around or move, they just stay put in one place and you can just pick them up and they would still not move on your hand. (I know they are not fleas.) Currently my only solution was to keep vacuuming the house and try to catch them the way I described, but I keep finding them again and again.

Any idea is welcome.
Thanks!

By John E

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Bird of rat mites. Look for bird nest in eves of house or attic.

Or just roosting birds. Do u or neighbors have chickens?

Do u cats that bring dead birds or mice onto ur property ?

Even if the dead animals r left outise u can get them on ur clothing when walking by. Mice or rats under ur house?

Go to birdmites.org.

These r very difficult to get rid of.

Also read about springtails. They eat mold. The mold or fungus in ur home gets on ur body. The springtails will crawl on u to get to. It. Check for damp spots in ur home.

Read the book. THE YEAR OF THE MITE.

This woman and daughter and house got infested with bird mites. It's very well written. I was glad I read it.

Good luck. Be diligent. What works for one person to get rid of these may not work for you.

There is no one time treatment for this. U have to work at it everyday. Also treat car and work space.

February 6, 2005 Flag

I have reached desperate mode at this point. I live in a apartment (ground level) in Ohio. Since early December 2004, I have been dealing with some type of black flying bug that is about half the size of a tiny pin head - a mere fleck! It has a lot of the characteristics of a no see um. It hides during the day and comes out at night.

The most active hours are between 2:00 and 6:00 am. It bites me under the covers and leaves my body feeling like it has hot prickly bristles on it. It gets in my ears, mouth, eyes and nose while I am trying to sleep. I've resorted to masks, scarves etc., but it somehow gets inside of them. I had an exterminator spray and bomb. He took my samples but couldn't find anything. I know I am not hallucinating because when I stay at other peoples homes I have no problem. I've been in apt. for 2 yrs., carpets have been steam cleaned, no pets and no plants. I never keep trash out or fruit.

This is the distinguishing appearance - these tiny black dots appear to be intertwined in clothing/carpet fuzz. So when people look at my samples they look very hairy/fuzzy and people dismiss them as fuzz! The only thing I can think it may have come from was a box that I bought an artificial xmas tree near the time this started. The box was labeled Japan and was most likely shipped by boat and then stored in a warehouse. Any ideas on a tiny, fuzzy, biting bug possibly from Asia? I'll be happy with any help so I can sleep!

Thank you,
Sarah from Ohio

PS At night it also makes this pinging noise like it's hitting my pillow near my ear.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This reminded me of a post last year so I started looking:

http://www.thri  f629910.tip.html

First, I'd wash my bedding with borax. Let it soak a while. Vacuum your mattress, carpets and pillows.

Another suggestion besides an exterminator which it sounds like you have already tried, is using an insect repellent. You might need to try a few different ones to see if any of these are effective so you can at least sleep.

Check with your county extension service or public health department. One way to catch some would be to put a piece of tape, sticky side up when you start to feel them. They sound like they are very small and that would prevent the fuzz from getting in with them.

Best wishes for getting rid of these little critters.

Susan from ThriftyFun

November 2, 2015 Flag

What kind of bug do I have that looks like specks of black lint? I find them on my bed and you can not tell if they are bugs they are so small and they are not moving. They bite. I can feel them on me, in my hair, on my face, and on my arms and legs, but I can't see them. What are they and how do I get rid of them? I had fleas so I had my house sprayed. I sprayed and bombed five or six times, but nothing helps. I still have these bugs. I hope someone can help, they are eating me alive. The people that sprayed came back after they got rid of the fleas and said they did not see anything. They even checked for bedbugs.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Could be bedbugs. For all bugs, garden grade, not pool grade, diatomaceous earth. Safe for humans and animals, just don't inhale it. Cattlemen feed it to their livestock for internal parasites. I sprinkle it in our dogs food and sometimes dust them with it. Make an easy duster with an empty plastic water bottle. Dry it well and punch holes in the cap. Funny, I put one in the drainer to dry and when I went back to get it, it wasn't there. I asked my daughter, saying I had the cap in my pocket and she thought I said I have a cat in my pocket. Now, I tell her I have a cat in my pocket and I know how to use it. You can tell we are both nuts!

February 7, 2017 Flag

My husband was bitten in bed and thought it was a flea, but I saw a bug that I assume was the one that bit him and it wasn't a flea. It was small about a pin head maybe bigger and it smushed when I killed it. It left a bite that looked like a mosquito bite. Any ideas? It is black and oval shaped?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

so here's a great link from Terminix: 10 bugs that look like, but are not bed bugs https://www.ter  -is-it-a-bed-bug

Bed bug: copper-brown when mature, translucent white in nymph state

Black carpet beetle: black-brown

Book louse: colorless to gray/light brown

Spider beetle: red-brown

Flea: black to reddish-brown

Black carpet beetle: black-brown

Spider beetle: red-brown

Flea: black to reddish-brown

is there a chance that it was actually a spider, and not a bug? IE 8 v 6 legs.

October 13, 2016 Flag

I have tiny black bugs that bite. They are almost invisible to the naked eye. They are in and on everything including laundry. I feel them on me and in my hair. My husband thinks I'm crazy; I'm starting to think I am. Someone please help me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I feel your pain went through it and coming out of it because they feed off you so where ever you are lying at with no plastic they are in there mattresses and couches. Get some plastic for your couches and chairs I used nothing but raid products so I got some flea fogger and some enforcer for fleas and other bugs. Now my mattress because it wasn't covered at first they pretty much made a home. Then I bought plastic...Now this is what I realized over time was happening. I would go to sleep and some were dying because of the plastic and some were making it to my skin CRAWLING on me. Wasn't dawning on me yet but I would go to work carrying these bugs on me. I would be gone 9 hours 10 take a bath and they in my water mind you yes they are like black specks after the water ran out there were these specks .. I would smear it and it's blood in them sucking on me all day. I was repeating this horror everyday until I put my mattress out. I have had this mattress for 6 years and several people have slept on it. They smell blood too. You to be your own investigater asking when did it start where did start what's different and sometimes other people bring their critters too they are carrying on them. Hope it this helps

September 16, 2015 Flag

I have just found these tiny little black bugs in my bedroom. They're all over the skirting boards and I have seen them on my bedside table. I have also just found one in my actual bedding. I have had bites before which I thought were bed bugs, but these little things don't seem to be bed bugs to me. Can anybody possibly help me ID them please? Thanks in advance!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm finding these lil black or brown bugs I tube and they don't seems to be fleas cause they are very easy to kill they are just appearing out the blue

September 6, 2016 Flag

For about a week now something has been biting my arms and legs at night. Not just in my bed, but on my couch. They bite more when the lights are off. I know it isn't bed bugs because I have experienced those before. I know where and what to look for to find those, and nothing has turned up.

Whatever it is can fly because it bites parts that aren't touching the furniture as well as those that are, and I never feel a crawling sensation. I have noticed small flying insects around the house. Mostly just a few fruit flies or drain flies that I have been killing off.

But, there have been a few small, dark-winged bugs as well. They look like small flies, with a triangular shape when at rest. Aside from that, a small speck occasionally flies past my phone screen or laptop screen if the room is dark. It almost looks like a dust mote, but it moves quickly. I have yet to catch anything actually on me or my bed, but my legs and sometimes arms, end up covered in red welts similar to mosquito bites. I live in north Georgia, in a rural area. I am the only person being bitten thus far.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks like old hay beetles...if they are ..they used to live in haystack...under old leaves..in moist areas..

January 4, 2015 Flag

Can someone please help me? I have just moved out of home into a small flat, as I am young you can kind of imagine what my flat is like. It is tidy, but not amazing and I keep finding these bugs everywhere. They are tiny, and when I say tiny I mean tiny, the only way you know they are on you is if you feel them tickling your skin and you have a close look.

My flat mate and I have both noticed them on the couch a lot and that seems to be where they all go. This couch is from my flat mate's father and was in his shed and was cleaned before we got it so I don't think they can keep coming from there as I have scrubbed and vacuumed it heaps.

I really hate bugs and have great pride in keeping my house clean so as you can probably tell I am getting sick and tired of these bugs. I'm not sure if they bite, I think they might do and just leave a small mark. They are black and not round at all they are more long and slight squirmy, but so very very tiny. They are everywhere, we have already tried bombs and fly spray. Someone please help me.

By Tara B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try scrubbing your skin, your whole body, with an exfoliating glove & soap while showering. Boil the clothes giving you the crawling sensation. It will significantly decrease the crawling sensation on your clothes and skin if you do this daily.

January 4, 2013 Flag

Only very recently I have bites on my ankles almost like mossie bites and they leave a tiny pink spots (like mossie bite after they stop itching). Today I caught them on me, it's black very tiny. You can barely see them. There are ones a bit bigger, like black pepper sprinkles, and there's a few of them I captured. Then they disappeared, I do not see anymore. I need to know if it's related to pets (unlike fleas when captured they snap when squashed these don't) or carpet pests. Would pesticide kill these bugs? I have never seen these bugs. Could they also be coming from plants soil?
Kind regards.
Thank you.

By Julie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the same exact problem. Bites on my ankles and other numerous places. The bug sounds extremely familiar. I'm struggling a lot and have cleaned this whole house and I'm getting bitten everyday. I'm desperate for help, did you find any solution?

October 29, 2010 Flag

I am having trouble with bugs. We have extremely tiny black bugs, compared to coffee grounds and black pepper. Our dog had fleas in the summer, but I think we took care of the problem.

I did notice black stuff inside the air conditioner in the bedroom which when wiped almost looks like the bugs, but thousands all stuck together. There is also a huge patch of grass in the neighbor's yard that is completely dead. Could it come from there? I am not sure if these are fleas or other bugs. You cannot see them move, but can pick them up with tape and get several. They seem to be everywhere.

I have bombed the house 5 times, 4 gallons of different sprays, flea carpet powder, DE, salt and borax, salt and vinegar, and even hairspray.

These do bite. I am afraid to go out or have someone over. It has been about 2 months now. Everything in my house was cleaned with dog shampoo, vinegar, Windex and even bug stuff.

By Murphy from Woodbury, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had these almost invisible bugs for 4 years. This started after I moved into a very nice apartment. I had to move out after 7 months because of the bugs, but they followed me. I have tried everything. This has gotten very expensive. I use the mattress covers. I replaced the last mattress cover when I bought a new mattress. I have hired an exterminator. He sprayed, but it did not help. I have used all sorts of chemicals. I washed my clothes in borax the first year in hot water. Nothing helps. I am an overly clean person and love cleaning every day. I wish someone knew how to get rid of these horrible tiny creatures. Please help!!

March 18, 2015 Flag

How do you get rid of them?

By Herbert

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Raid.

November 9, 2013 Flag

For a while, I've been getting a bunch of bites all over my body and they itch a lot. I think I have over 50 now. I searched through my bed and found tiny black dot looking bugs. When I crushed it blood came out. What are they? Bed bugs, fleas? I also have a cat and he had fleas.

By Grace

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am so grateful for this I barely found this column after 1 year of fighting this tiny black bugs. I had to throw away my bed my clothes well most of them and now I am spraying everything and laughing. I feel good someone like you just made me feel so important. At Last I have sighed. Thank You so much. I need to get back to spraying. I will say a prayer because I have been searching forever. Virginia

April 1, 2015 Flag

Every time I go to my room or the bathroom some bugs bite me. I can't see them, they fly, and when they bite me they leave a little red mark. Please help me it's starting to get aggravating.

By Josh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is difficult to identify the bug without more information such as your city and state, house or apartment, any plants in the home and how old is the home? It is also possible that the flying bugs are not the ones that bite you.

You can try a smoke bomb as they are effective for flying insects. However, if you do not know the source of the bugs, they will just hatch and continue.

March 5, 2015 Flag

We found a small group of bugs in our office, size is 1/4"very tiny like hair, they are moving too. They are at one of our glass counters. What can we do?

By Naiery

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you want to kill the bugs, use a bug spray in the area. May require more than one application if there are unhatched eggs.

October 25, 2014 Flag

What are these little black bugs crawling in my bed and coming from outside my window? They are small and black and there's a thousand of them just by the window and on my curtains and bed.

By Tiffani

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like ants.

April 25, 2015 Flag

I'm having the same problem as several others. I have black and white pinhead bugs that bite, but you never see them move. They can be on your hand or on the floor and they won't move. These bugs look like lint on all my clothes. I spent an entire day cleaning my clothes, and they were all back the next day. Does anyone have any idea what these can be? I'm going crazy. I have bites all over me. I read somewhere that they go in your mouth and ears while you sleep. I wouldn't doubt that. Help. The exterminator and my doctor think I'm going crazy.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have been having a similar problem. I called out 3 different pest control companies and all said they couldn't identify them and therefore couldn't treat them. One company set out sticky traps - nothing in them. The black and white spots are everywhere. My dogs are all three sneezing and scratching and I have marks all over me even after putting a mattress enclosure on. I set my groceries on the table as I put things away. My food even in fridge and freezer are full of them. I clean and clean and they are right back again. I finally called an indoor air testing company. I have mold in my attic insulation and in my basement. It is obviously being spread through my furnace vents. They will be coming out this week to take care of the problem. I bought an air purifier and keep cleaning until they can get here. Check the symptoms of mold sensitivity - and I think you will be surprised about what mold - particularly black mold can do to you and animals. Check this link http://moldsymptoms.org/

June 1, 2011 Flag

Something keeps biting me when I sit on my couch. They are minute, whitish-to-clear little "balls". Since I can't figure out what they are, I can't figure out what to do about them.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMay 1, 2013
Products
Eco Defense Bed Bug Killer
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 6:08:29 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.