Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Category Bugs
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying biting bugs is the first step in trying to eliminate them from your home or to repel them when outdoors. This is a guide about identifying little black biting bugs.

I have just found these tiny little black bugs in my bedroom. They're all over the skirting boards and I have seen them on my bedside table. I have also just found one in my actual bedding. I have had bites before which I thought were bed bugs, but these little things don't seem to be bed bugs to me. Can anybody possibly help me ID them please? Thanks in advance!

Answer Was this helpful? 6

Help! We are experiencing pinpoint black bugs. They bite and get on us and our puppy. There are no trails; we just see them in groups. We found them on our mantel, our clothes, our hair, and our toilet. We were recommended to use bed bug spray, but they keep coming back. We don't know what they are. We thought maybe bird mites, but we have no birds only city birds. What can we do to get rid of them? Please help. This is awful.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Only very recently I have bites on my ankles almost like mossie bites and they leave a tiny pink spots (like mossie bite after they stop itching). Today I caught them on me, it's black very tiny. You can barely see them. There are ones a bit bigger, like black pepper sprinkles, and there's a few of them I captured. Then they disappeared, I do not see anymore. I need to know if it's related to pets (unlike fleas when captured they snap when squashed these don't) or carpet pests. Would pesticide kill these bugs? I have never seen these bugs. Could they also be coming from plants soil?
Kind regards.
Thank you.

By Julie

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Answers

I am posting a number of link to help define what bug you are dealing with. Remember that if it has six legs it is an insect and if it has eight legs it is in the spider or mite family.

Here are some articles to read on this subject for your consideration and research:

How to ID Bugs in the House:

http://www.ehow  y-bug-house.html

Amateur Entomologists Society: What Bug is This?

http://www.amen  -id-service.html

What Do Bedbugs Look Like?

http://www.ehow  s-look-like.html

How to Tell If You Have Bedbugs or Fleas

http://www.ehow  -bugs-fleas.html

Earthclinic.com

http://www.eart  nfestation2.html

Natural Flea Remedies

http://www.eart  Pets/fleas5.html

Blessings, Banjo

springtails!!!!

I have the same exact problem. Bites on my ankles and other numerous places. The bug sounds extremely familiar. I'm struggling a lot and have cleaned this whole house and I'm getting bitten everyday. I'm desperate for help, did you find any solution?

I have tiny black bugs that bite. They are almost invisible to the naked eye. They are in and on everything including laundry. I feel them on me and in my hair. My husband thinks I'm crazy; I'm starting to think I am. Someone please help me.

For a while, I've been getting a bunch of bites all over my body and they itch a lot. I think I have over 50 now. I searched through my bed and found tiny black dot looking bugs. When I crushed it blood came out. What are they? Bed bugs, fleas? I also have a cat and he had fleas.

By Grace

Answers

I don't know what kind of bugs they are but this is what I would do: In the morning, strip your bed of sheets, blankets and pillowcases. Then spray your bed and your pillows with raid. Be sure to get both sides of the pillows. Wash all your bedding in hot water. In the evening time, after the smell of the raid has calmed down, vaccuum your bed thoroughly, then put clean bedding back on. I don't recommend this if you have small children or pets though, unless you can close the door and make sure that they cannot get into the room. I wouldn't want a child or pet to breathe in raid.

If your bites are on your upper body and in a straight line, I'm afraid they might be bedbugs. Look in the seams of your mattress (on the edges of it). Also, on your sheets you'll see black dots which they leave. If they are bedbugs, you might be better off getting a professional exterminator to get rid of them. They are not easy to eliminate.

I started having the feeling like something crawling on me three months ago and started getting pinprick bites. My doctor can't identify what type of issue I have. The exterminator said there are no bed bugs. Even though I threw out 90% of my clothes and my furniture including the bed they are in my new clothes and everywhere.

I vacuum everyday, wash everyday, and soak my clothes in ammonia, but they come back. I sprayed vinegar and water mix everywhere in my house and felt normal for a few hours. But they came back. They must be in different shapes depending on their stage of life. I see black and also tiny white particles everywhere. I can feel them from my laptop and iPhone.

After I started using coal soap and sulfur shampoo I feel a little relief. I covered my body with calamine lotion and spray DEET before go to bed. So I don't get big bites during the night, but feel pinprick bites instead. Sometimes I get small paper cut looking things on my hands. The worst is at my work. I can't clean crazy like at my house and I have a very tall ceiling. They are living in the ceiling and fall on me as soon as walk in. I get them all over me by the end of day. Because I cleaned the floor so well, now they are targeting my hair and scalp. I spray 91% alcohol on my scalp, but they keep coming back. I can see glitter looking particles on my hands and clothes. They are maybe eggs. I thought they are maybe lice, but the CDC said body lice are easy to eradicate by washing clothes in hot water and drying them in high heat. Yes, I have done all that plus cleaning everyday, but it is not working. I'm a very clean person and am wearing clean clothes everyday. Please someone help me.

I am having a problem with tiny, black biting bugs. You feel it on your skin and it's gone like a flash of lightning. It bites leaving a terrible itch and small bump. What can this be?

By Sandy H

Answers

Are they fleas?

Its probably fleas, especially if you have pets. Although if you are around someone that does have fleas. They kinda follow you around. Not to mention with it being summertime and the mild winter we had. Fleas are definitely a big issue this year.

Spread dry 20 mule team Borax. 2 cups average carpeted room for 2 weeks before you vacuum.

Fleas, mosquitoes, fruit flies?

We spent a week in an apartment in Paris where I woke up almost every morning with very itchy bites - definitely not bedbugs. I finally found mostly dead little black bugs, no wings, about 1/4 inch in length, on the white tile floor near an outlet. They were renovating the apartment next door, and my theory is that they sprayed, and these bugs came through an outlet in the very old building. But what were they?

I put them in a sealed plastic bag and gave them to the owner, but she has had no luck in identifying them. I would love to be the one who is able to identify them for her.
Thank you...someone!

How do you get rid of them?

By Herbert

Does anyone have small black bugs hiding in fuzz or cat hair? I have long hair and they find it on the floor. Twice I have found one in my hair. They have 2 or 3 hairs on them that comes out if you put water on them. They also stand on 2 long legs. I have lived here many years and have never seen them until lately. I hope someone answers before they drive me nuts. Thanks.

By gettz from northwest MT

Anonymous

Since you mention they are on/in hair, fuzz or cat fur and you can see the details about this mysterious bug perhaps you could place one or more of them in a jar and take them to your local health department for identification for serious evaluation of a problem I doubt any of us here have dealt with. My guess is that they are miniature dust bunnies. Good Luck!

Deeli is right, but you might not know that dust is more dust mites and pet/human dander. Look up mites on google, and see if the photo is close. If not, you might have bed bugs or fleas, or perhaps even lice. Hard to hear but easy to be rid of.

When they come out to be whatever they are, just google their control and you will have no trouble getting it under your control again.

Remember, they are a pain, gross, but they are not lethal.

Good luck!

It may be a bed bug. They are everywhere. Good luck.

Springtails!

I have had a problem with something biting on my feet and legs in my office off and on for 3 years. We have tried shampooing, pesticides, bug bombs, etc. We now sleep in our living room because they have taken over our room. My hair was down to my butt, now, less than 3 months later my hair is 1/4 inch long.

They are black triangle shaped bugs that bite just my dog and I. My doctor told me there are no bugs and for me to make appointment with mental health. I'm tired of being shrugged off by the medical community. I already have health problems and am getting worse. I need help fast. I live in Colorado. It's not scabies, but they are like mites and horribly itchy

By SuzieS.

Try spraying for fleas, but it could also be restless leg syndrome. I would also get another doctor who listens to you.

they are called springtail fleas...they are from window sills with moisture and crawl on beds...and they bite!

These bugs are small, black, and pin head sized. They are very hard to even see. Sometimes I see white ones, also. They seem to get in my clothes and bite. My wife doesn't seem to get bitten or says she can't feel anything on her. What's going on? I'm not crazy. I can feel when something is crawling on me and biting me.

By D

Are they fleas?

HI, We had an outbreak of cats flees last year and I was always bitten but my husband was not. However I have since found out that we were both being bitten it's just that my skin reacted and his did not. If safe for you to do so, you could take an antihistamine tablet, or use a cream, this should stop you being itchy.

If these are in your bed then they are bed bugs and you need a new bed and possibly the room and rooms closest sprayed as they will spread. Body heat brings them out at night and you may see them different sizes and colours depending on their ages.

If it is on you and you clothing than it my be fleas in which case your house needs treated, which you can do your self. So will any pets that you have.

Hope this helps a little. Best of luck.

The next time you see one, try and capture it. You can then put it in a pill bottle till it's dead. Then, if you have a 400x magnifying glass, see what it looks like. Then get on this site

http://www.goog  1024&bih=625

and see if you can identify it. Then, you can see how to eradicate them. PBP

What are these little black bugs crawling in my bed and coming from outside my window? They are small and black and there's a thousand of them just by the window and on my curtains and bed.

By Tiffani

I am being overrun with bugs and have no idea what they are. They have come from my garden, whenever I'm out there I'll notice that the bottom of my jeans gets covered in these bugs, maybe 20 or so at once. They're 1-2mm in size, small, black and shiny. When I go to squish them they are able to jump quite far, but on the whole they're quite easily to catch and squish which makes me think they're not fleas.

It's gotten to the point where I don't want to go outside as I get covered in these and they bite, my legs have bite marks all over them. Any ideas what they are and how I get rid of them, I'm worried they're going to infest my house and I'll be stuck with them!

By Louise C

Sounds like fleas to me. Any animal roaming your garden area could have fleas and that's where they came from. Obviously you want to be careful if they are on you when you come inside. Fleas can be pretty nasty to rid yourself of.

I have reached desperate mode at this point. I live in a apartment (ground level) in Ohio. Since early December 2004, I have been dealing with some type of black flying bug that is about half the size of a tiny pin head - a mere fleck! It has a lot of the characteristics of a no see um. It hides during the day and comes out at night.

The most active hours are between 2:00 and 6:00 am. It bites me under the covers and leaves my body feeling like it has hot prickly bristles on it. It gets in my ears, mouth, eyes and nose while I am trying to sleep. I've resorted to masks, scarves etc., but it somehow gets inside of them. I had an exterminator spray and bomb. He took my samples but couldn't find anything. I know I am not hallucinating because when I stay at other peoples homes I have no problem. I've been in apt. for 2 yrs., carpets have been steam cleaned, no pets and no plants. I never keep trash out or fruit.

This is the distinguishing appearance - these tiny black dots appear to be intertwined in clothing/carpet fuzz. So when people look at my samples they look very hairy/fuzzy and people dismiss them as fuzz! The only thing I can think it may have come from was a box that I bought an artificial xmas tree near the time this started. The box was labeled Japan and was most likely shipped by boat and then stored in a warehouse. Any ideas on a tiny, fuzzy, biting bug possibly from Asia? I'll be happy with any help so I can sleep!

Thank you,
Sarah from Ohio

PS At night it also makes this pinging noise like it's hitting my pillow near my ear.

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Answers

Best Answer

This reminded me of a post last year so I started looking:

http://www.thri  f629910.tip.html

First, I'd wash my bedding with borax. Let it soak a while. Vacuum your mattress, carpets and pillows.

Another suggestion besides an exterminator which it sounds like you have already tried, is using an insect repellent. You might need to try a few different ones to see if any of these are effective so you can at least sleep.

Check with your county extension service or public health department. One way to catch some would be to put a piece of tape, sticky side up when you start to feel them. They sound like they are very small and that would prevent the fuzz from getting in with them.

Best wishes for getting rid of these little critters.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I had little bugs crawling on me, in my hair and in my clothes. I kept finding black specks that didn't move. I would notice glitter on my face in the sun light. I didn't realize this was scabies. I washed, sprayed and bombed; nothing seemed to work. Unfortunately, I gave scabies to my friend. She told me the only way to get rid of these bugs was to get ivermectin.

My tip is if you are having little black specks and feeling like something is crawling all over your body, see your doctor and have them to prescribe ivermectin. :)

Many types of bugs are small and black, if they are biting bugs they can be annoying and a health hazard. This is a guide about getting rid of tiny biting black bugs.

bug next to a penny

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes
Load More