Share Crafts

Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Itching from a bug bite.

Identifying biting bugs is the first step in trying to eliminate them from your home or to repel them when outdoors. This is a guide about identifying little black biting bugs.

Solutions: Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Listerine for Black Biting Bugs

My RV has got little, biting black bugs. They are not fleas or ticks, but they bite like them. I asked a pet shop owner what he would do. He suggested that I try the original, yellow Listerine. He uses it at his pet shop to kill mites, fleas and ticks. I did, and it works!

I put some in a spray bottle to spray around the RV, on the dog, and on us. Yellow Listerine does not stain fabric nor is it harmful to humans and pets. One has to keep using it for a while because the eggs left hatch into nymphs. They bite too, but the yellow Listerine does kill them all.

Source: Petter Patter Pets

By Christie H [2]

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs.

Question: What is this Minuscule Fuzzy Pest?

I have reached desperate mode at this point. I live in a apartment (ground level) in Ohio. Since early December 2004, I have been dealing with some type of black flying bug that is about half the size of a tiny pin head - a mere fleck! It has a lot of the characteristics of a no see um. It hides during the day and comes out at night.

The most active hours are between 2:00 and 6:00 am. It bites me under the covers and leaves my body feeling like it has hot prickly bristles on it. It gets in my ears, mouth, eyes and nose while I am trying to sleep. I've resorted to masks, scarves etc., but it somehow gets inside of them. I had an exterminator spray and bomb. He took my samples but couldn't find anything. I know I am not hallucinating because when I stay at other peoples homes I have no problem. I've been in apt. for 2 yrs., carpets have been steam cleaned, no pets and no plants. I never keep trash out or fruit.

This is the distinguishing appearance - these tiny black dots appear to be intertwined in clothing/carpet fuzz. So when people look at my samples they look very hairy/fuzzy and people dismiss them as fuzz! The only thing I can think it may have come from was a box that I bought an artificial xmas tree near the time this started. The box was labeled Japan and was most likely shipped by boat and then stored in a warehouse. Any ideas on a tiny, fuzzy, biting bug possibly from Asia? I'll be happy with any help so I can sleep!

Thank you,
    Sarah from Ohio

PS At night it also makes this pinging noise like it's hitting my pillow near my ear.

Best Answers

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]02/06/2005

This reminded me of a post last year so I started looking:

First, I'd wash my bedding with borax. Let it soak a while. Vacuum your mattress, carpets and pillows.

Another suggestion besides an exterminator which it sounds like you have already tried, is using an insect repellent. You might need to try a few different ones to see if any of these are effective so you can at least sleep.

Check with your county extension service or public health department. One way to catch some would be to put a piece of tape, sticky side up when you start to feel them. They sound like they are very small and that would prevent the fuzz from getting in with them.

Best wishes for getting rid of these little critters.
    Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answers

By Jennifer Nelson [1]02/06/2005

You need to phone an exterminator pronto.

Question: Getting Rid of Tiny Biting Black Bugs

I feel very desperate as to how to get rid of these annoying little bugs. First of all, I have to tell you that I am hundred percent sure they are not fleas nor bed bugs. I know this since I have used extensively, bombs and other chemicals, that would have already wiped them out.

Also I collected some samples and showed it to the local bug inspector companies and have been told the same thing. That they are not bed bugs or fleas. What they could tell me was that they could be "black nuisance bugs", but he was not very sure about it.
    Let me try to briefly describe them. They live on my clothes and they bite me during day or night. You feel them moving which makes it very hard to fall in sleep. The only solution I could find was to get up and take my clothes off and just shake or pound them to make them fall on a white surface. They actually do fall when you do that. And whey they fall, they do not jump around or move, they just stay put in one place and you can just pick them up and they would still not move on your hand. (I know they are not fleas.) Currently my only solution was to keep vacuuming the house and try to catch them the way I described, but I keep finding them again and again.
    Any idea is welcome.

By John E

Best Answers

By Louise B. [6]01/03/2014

You do not say where you live. That might be helpful. I would try to find out what these things are; I have never heard of "black nuisance bugs" - sounds like something this fellow made up to me. Do a search on the internet. Phone your public health office. Contact your Department of Agriculture or a university science department. Are these insects breeding in your home or coming in from outside? These are all things you need to investigate to be able to get rid of them.

Best Answers

By sweetsammy [1]01/02/2014

How long have you had these bugs? Do they fly, walk, jump? Are they maybe in the dryer or something? I had a nasty bout with fleas and spent 3 grand on chemicals boms exterminators (I know you said they were not fleas), but what did work was salt. I threw salt around the house all over (we wore shoes for 3 days) then vacuumed. That was it - they were all gone!

I found salt works with all bugs. This should at least kill the eggs, then stop the cycle of what ever they are. I'd also try dishsoap in a upside down margarine lid on the floor to maybe catch them? or like a home made fruit fly trap if they fly? Something else I'd try is doing the laundry at the laundromat, or changing detergent. Borax and salt was actually the recipe for fleas, so maybe add some borax to your laundry to stop the cycle there.
    Good luck!

Question: Very Tiny Flying Biting Bugs

Only very recently I have bites on my ankles almost like mossie bites and they leave a tiny pink spots (like mossie bite after they stop itching). Today I caught them on me, it's black very tiny. You can barely see them. There are ones a bit bigger, like black pepper sprinkles, and there's a few of them I captured. Then they disappeared, I do not see anymore. I need to know if it's related to pets (unlike fleas when captured they snap when squashed these don't) or carpet pests. Would pesticide kill these bugs? I have never seen these bugs. Could they also be coming from plants soil?
    Kind regards.
    Thank you.

By Julie

Most Recent Answer

By Giselle C.10/07/2014

I have the same exact problem. Bites on my ankles and other numerous places. The bug sounds extremely familiar. I'm struggling a lot and have cleaned this whole house and I'm getting bitten everyday. I'm desperate for help, did you find any solution?

Question: Identifying Tiny Biting Insect

Something keeps biting me when I sit on my couch. They are minute, whitish-to-clear little "balls". Since I can't figure out what they are, I can't figure out what to do about them. I just happened to catch one on my neck this a.m. and squished it. It popped when I compressed it like it was full of liquid. Could they be "no-seeum" bites?

By Martha

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn [369] 06/09/2011

I would get an attractive cover or a sheet to cover the couch after you get a can of salt from the store and sprinkle it heavily all over the couch, in the corners, under the cushions, everywhere. The reason for the sheet or cover is to not sit on the salt for the two or so days you leave it on the couch. Vacuum the top of the cushions and leave the salt under the cushions. I get the salt out each time I see a flea on a piece of furniture.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Small Black Bugs Found in Lint and Pet Hair

Does anyone have small black bugs hiding in fuzz or cat hair? I have long hair and they find it on the floor. Twice I have found one in my hair. They have 2 or 3 hairs on them that comes out if you put water on them. They also stand on 2 long legs. I have lived here many years and have never seen them until lately. I hope someone answers before they drive me nuts. Thanks.

By gettz from northwest MT

Most Recent Answer

By Kim M.07/09/2013

Question: Getting Rid Of Tiny Black Bugs

I am having trouble with bugs. We have extremely tiny black bugs, compared to coffee grounds and black pepper. Our dog had fleas in the summer, but I think we took care of the problem.

I did notice black stuff inside the air conditioner in the bedroom which when wiped almost looks like the bugs, but thousands all stuck together. There is also a huge patch of grass in the neighbor's yard that is completely dead. Could it come from there? I am not sure if these are fleas or other bugs. You cannot see them move, but can pick them up with tape and get several. They seem to be everywhere.

I have bombed the house 5 times, 4 gallons of different sprays, flea carpet powder, DE, salt and borax, salt and vinegar, and even hairspray.

These do bite. I am afraid to go out or have someone over. It has been about 2 months now. Everything in my house was cleaned with dog shampoo, vinegar, Windex and even bug stuff.

By Murphy from Woodbury, CT

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By dot holly 11/21/2014

Murphy, I have window units, also and there was some black stuf in the older one. I wanted to take it out,but the crazy man I live with refuses. I bought a new energy efficient one, but let's face it, we need to save up, get the central air repaired and close off the open invite for bugs. I did get air conditioner cleaner at wally world,and it is easy to use. Took several times to clear the old unit up, but it did. We do not smoke. I think smokers don't have this problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Getting Rid of Nuisance Bugs

How do you get rid of them?

By Herbert

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [6]03/21/2015

Question: Tiny Black Biting Bugs in Bed

For a while, I've been getting a bunch of bites all over my body and they itch a lot. I think I have over 50 now. I searched through my bed and found tiny black dot looking bugs. When I crushed it blood came out. What are they? Bed bugs, fleas? I also have a cat and he had fleas.

By Grace

Most Recent Answer

By crybaby01/02/2015

For bedbugs I recommend you bin mattresses/pillows/any old clothes. Hoover, hot wash carpets, hot wash covers, curtains, cushions etc. Tumble dry all clothing, wash everything over with alcoholic wipes cds/books etc. Do not forget pictures and mirrors. Buy the sprays and the powder.

NB - watch out for the 'bombs' they can make the little critters run for their lives, only to return when the coast is clear, so only use with sprays and powders. I now also salt around the rooms and hairspray the beds etc. Plus double sided tape around mattresses which I check even now... years later and reapply every so often and cover them in plastic.

If you see flat looking bugs NOT only in beds. They will come when your breathing relaxes, so give sofas a hot clean too. They bite, well feed, which fill them up and they then look fat, if you squash and red comes out or you have dark red circles left on sheets PLUS small round red bite marks in a line or cluster then you will probably have bed bugs.

In yje UK council will come out for around 200 and spray ,then come back a while later to check, but they are very hard to get rid of. I for one got new beds-metal ones. I read bed bugs cannot climb metal. Sounds crazy I know, but you can have no idea what it really feels like to be infested with these nasty things unless you have. I had many many sleepless nights, and months and months of checking everything. Hopefully though all my quick eradication effects have been fruitful.

Also seal of cracks around the rooms, and floorboards etc, btw, cats will detect bugs,and mine anyway will give off a strange noise if they do detect something. She goes into hunt mode! I also always spray if I bring in a new item to house, (not new especially - but these things also like to hang out in cardboard!). So it has just become part of normal cleaning routine. Just in case any have remained dormant ,which they can do for some time.

Question: Black Biting Bugs

I have had a problem with something biting on my feet and legs in my office off and on for 3 years. We have tried shampooing, pesticides, bug bombs, etc. We now sleep in our living room because they have taken over our room.

Question: Tiny Bugs That Bite

There are tiny bugs in my home. Against something dark they look white and against something white they look black or brown. They have been biting. I have no idea what they are, do you? Do you know how I can get rid of them? They seem to react to the cold temps.

By Ronda

Most Recent Answer

By Kim M.07/09/2013

springfleas!! and they bite!! windowsills...bed and couches!

Question: Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs

These bugs are small, black, and pin head sized. They are very hard to even see. Sometimes I see white ones, also. They seem to get in my clothes and bite. My wife doesn't seem to get bitten or says she can't feel anything on her. What's going on? I'm not crazy. I can feel when something is crawling on me and biting me.

By D

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud [446] 11/30/2011

The next time you see one, try and capture it. You can then put it in a pill bottle till it's dead. Then, if you have a 400x magnifying glass, see what it looks like. Then get on this site ... ed=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=625

and see if you can identify it. Then, you can see how to eradicate them. PBP

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Getting Rid of Small Black Bugs

We found a small group of bugs in our office, size is 1/4"very tiny like hair, they are moving too. They are at one of our glass counters. What can we do?

By Naiery

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [6]03/07/2015

I agree with the previous poster. Spray them with Raid!

Question: Getting Rid of Tiny Black Bugs

Can someone please help me? I have just moved out of home into a small flat, as I am young you can kind of imagine what my flat is like. It is tidy, but not amazing and I keep finding these bugs everywhere. They are tiny, and when I say tiny I mean tiny, the only way you know they are on you is if you feel them tickling your skin and you have a close look.

My flat mate and I have both noticed them on the couch a lot and that seems to be where they all go. This couch is from my flat mate's father and was in his shed and was cleaned before we got it so I don't think they can keep coming from there as I have scrubbed and vacuumed it heaps.

I really hate bugs and have great pride in keeping my house clean so as you can probably tell I am getting sick and tired of these bugs. I'm not sure if they bite, I think they might do and just leave a small mark. They are black and not round at all they are more long and slight squirmy, but so very very tiny. They are everywhere, we have already tried bombs and fly spray. Someone please help me.

By Tara B

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]01/06/2015

These may be flour weevils. They come into your home in any flour product. To get rid of them, get rid of any flour based product that is older than 6 months. They should be gone in a couple of weeks.

Question: Identifying Little Black Bugs

What are these little black bugs crawling in my bed and coming from outside my window? They are small and black and there's a thousand of them just by the window and on my curtains and bed.

By Tiffani

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [6]10/27/2014

If they are coming in from outside, and there are thousands getting into your bed, I'd say it is time for Raid! What difference does it make what they are?

Question: Getting Rid of Small Black Biting Bugs in Kitchen

How do I get rid of tiny black bugs? We've had them since last summer. Recently I found out they're coming in through the window over our sink. Last summer they had infested all of our cabinets. They look like a dot and grow to almost the size of a piece of rice.

We cleaned out all the cabinets and I think they were all dead. But a few still kept coming in. Recently I climbed up and opened the window and there was a whole nest of them on the ledge and halfway up. I tried to knock them off, but them like stuck there. That's when I got bit. They must have gotten on me because after that I started to get bit, and those bites itched like crazy for 3 weeks. Now I am afraid to go near the nest. They are still coming in. We find them around the sink area and on both windowsills. Someone please tell me how to get rid of them, they're driving me crazy.

By Linda5544

Most Recent Answer

By Jackolyn Smith [17]10/17/2013

Try spraying the nest with hair spray. They won't be able to move and it should kill them. Repeat every day until they are all dead.

Question: Getting Rid of Biting Bugs

I have flea bombed my house and also have bombed my house with bed bug bombs. I am running out of ideas. My family and I are getting bitten, one here and there. Does anybody know what it is and what I can do to stop this?

By Nicole

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [6]05/27/2013

I think that you should try to figure out what kind of bug it is - fleas, or bed bugs, or something else. Indiscriminate spraying of pesticides is one of the reasons why we have bedbugs nowadays. You may be getting reinfected over and over as well, or may be spraying pesticides all over the house, and not targeting the insect that is actually doing the biting. Anything that will poison an insect will also poison a human, so be aware that you are inhaling poison as well as the bugs inhaling it.

Question: Black Biting Insects

insect in plastic bag

I have just found these tiny little black bugs in my bedroom. They're all over the skirting boards and I have seen them on my bedside table. I have also just found one in my actual bedding. I have had bites before which I thought were bed bugs, but these little things don't seem to be bed bugs to me. Can anybody possibly help me ID them please? Thanks in advance!

Black Biting InsectsBlack Biting Insects

By Emily O. [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Ida M. [1]09/18/2015

This works on bed bugs and other bugs, you can add a little more of the concentrate Lysol, kills them on contact, keep spraying every couple days to kill eggs that hatch...Walmart carries the Lysol.

Question: Tiny Flying Biting Bugs

Every time I go to my room or the bathroom some bugs bite me. I can't see them, they fly, and when they bite me they leave a little red mark. Please help me it's starting to get aggravating.

By Josh

Most Recent Answer

By DCA [4]04/01/2015

It is difficult to identify the bug without more information such as your city and state, house or apartment, any plants in the home and how old is the home? It is also possible that the flying bugs are not the ones that bite you.

You can try a smoke bomb as they are effective for flying insects. However, if you do not know the source of the bugs, they will just hatch and continue.

Question: Getting Rid of Little Black Biting Bugs

bug next to a pennyI have these little black bugs in my condo. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them. They crawl on the floor coming out from the baseboard. I see them in the bathroom, hallway, and living room. They are not in the bed, but I get bites not all together. There is one on my arm, or my leg, or chest, not at the same time. I don't know if these bites are related. They are small and black and look like a little black bean that craws around on the floor. What kind of bugs are these? and how can I get rid of them?

By Rodney

Most Recent Answer

By Christine C.01/14/2015

How do I get rid of these things? What are they called? Where do they come from? That's a picture of them.

Question: Garden Bug That Bites and Jumps

I am being overrun with bugs and have no idea what they are. They have come from my garden, whenever I'm out there I'll notice that the bottom of my jeans gets covered in these bugs, maybe 20 or so at once. They're 1-2mm in size, small, black and shiny. When I go to squish them they are able to jump quite far, but on the whole they're quite easily to catch and squish which makes me think they're not fleas.

It's gotten to the point where I don't want to go outside as I get covered in these and they bite, my legs have bite marks all over them. Any ideas what they are and how I get rid of them, I'm worried they're going to infest my house and I'll be stuck with them!

By Louise C

Most Recent Answer

By Suzanne Kellar05/12/2014

Sounds like fleas to me. Any animal roaming your garden area could have fleas and that's where they came from. Obviously you want to be careful if they are on you when you come inside. Fleas can be pretty nasty to rid yourself of.

Question: Identifying Small Black Biting Bugs

I'm having the same problem as several others. I have black and white pinhead bugs that bite, but you never see them move. They can be on your hand or on the floor and they won't move. These bugs look like lint on all my clothes. I spent an entire day cleaning my clothes, and they were all back the next day. Does anyone have any idea what these can be? I'm going crazy. I have bites all over me. I read somewhere that they go in your mouth and ears while you sleep. I wouldn't doubt that. Help. The exterminator and my doctor think I'm going crazy.

By pizza [1]

Question: Tiny Black Biting Bugs

There are tiny black bugs which are present all year, but more in number in the warmer months. They have wings, fly very fast, and bite. They leave tiny red raised bumps on the skin, some of which have a dark center. They seem attracted to the bathroom. What are they and what harm do they do? Also how do I get rid of them?

By MCE

Question: Getting Rid of Little Black Bugs

I have these little black bugs very small in my clothes and I am very clean. I mean so clean you can eat off my floors, but this is out of control. They transfer from one piece to another. I have had pest control spray and coming tomorrow. Please help me out.

By Brendae

Question: Hard-shelled Flying Tiny Black Beetle

I live in Miami, Florida. When you open the door, these 1/2 inch or less long black hard shelled beetle like bugs fly in. I will be sitting and feel something crawling on my bare arm and it itches. I pick them off. Sometimes they will just be crawling on the computer desk or flittering nearby. When I smash them, they crumble (no juice lol) into teeny-tiny black pepper grain-like crumbs.
        I looked at the bug id link provided in an earlier post, but could not find this. Thank you :)

By Gail B.

Question: Identifying a Tiny Black Biting Bug

My husband and I were outdoors at a park by a lake having a picnic and he was bitten by a little teeny tiny black shinny pin like beetle bug. What is it? The bite spot stung.

By SaraJane

Question: Small Biting Bugs

I don't know what they are. They are very little, even smaller than a mosquito. They are hard and black. They are flying all the time in my room, trying to bite me and drinking my blood. I have already killed a lot, but still they are in my room. It's hard to find them in my room, but when I am sitting on table or in the bed laying down they came and try to bite. I just start feeling worse. I need a solution soon, please.

By Fidia

Question: Identifying Bugs

They are all over inside and out. It looks like dirt when they pile together. They burrow into the skin. They are everywhere throughout the city and even inside Walmart in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

By Randy