Fried Rice Recipes

Category Chinese
Fried rice is a staple quick dinner choice. Not only is it fast and easy, but it is also a good way to use up extra meats and vegetables. This page contains recipes for fried rice.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

This is a simple way to make a delicious bacon-based fried rice without much hassle. This is a one-pan to table delight!

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 4-6 servings

• 8 ounced bacon, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 carrot, chopped
  • 1 inch piece fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce

1. Heat a couple teaspoons of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon, onion, bell pepper and carrot. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
  2. Advertisement

3. Grate in the ginger. Stir.
  4. Grate in the garlic cloves. Stir.
  5. Make a well in the middle and add a teaspoon of oil. Pour in beaten eggs and add some salt and pepper. Start scrambling the eggs right in the middle.
  6. Stir all the eggs, veggies and bacon together.
  7. Advertisement

8. Add the cooked rice to the pan.
  9. Stir everything together, then add the soy sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed, before serving.

Ingredients

• 3 slices bacon
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 cup cooked rice
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten

Directions

Fry bacon until crisp, remove bacon. With drippings, stir-fry onion for 2 minutes. Add cold cooked rice; stir fry 7-8 minutes. Add soy sauce, water, crumbled bacon; reduce heat. Pour eggs on top of rice and stir-fry 3 minutes, or until egg is cooked. May be doubled.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I love turning leftovers into new meals in the following days, and this fried rice is one of my favourites! You can use any meat, veggies, and rice you have left over to make a new meal that tastes nothing like it used to. I used leftover ham and rice from Thanksgiving, and used up the rest of the veggies I had in the drawers.

Fried Rice from Leftovers on plate

We usually eat this as a main course, but it would also make a great side dish. We usually add Chinese BBQ pork, but it is a tasty vegetarian dish without it. My son requests Fried Rice often.

A bowl of homemade fried rice with pork and veggies.

In medium pan, heat oil and saute onion, garlic, and rice. Add hot water and salt. Bring to a full boil. . .

Combine water and salt in a 3 quart saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain rice.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Stir fry 2 eggs in oil. Add celery, onions, mushrooms and pork or shrimp with remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet.

Cook rice until done; set aside to drain. Heat oil in large skillet; pour on eggs. As they harden, cut up eggs with 2 knives.

Here is my updated take and twist on fried rice. This recipe is easy to make. The only time consuming part is cooking everything individually, but in the end it is worth it as this lasted us for 3 dinners!

Fried Rice with meat, egg, & peas

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Upgrade leftover rice into a plate of feast. This recipe is another kitchen innovation I discovered just this morning. My partner loves fried rice and I want it to be more flavorful with a different twist. Here's the recipe.

Cheesy Fried Rice on plate

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Just bought a Chinese cabbage at our little farm market and went to town with a Chinese inspired dinner. Please don't be afraid of trying the sauce! It was wonderful!

To cook Rice for fried rice or other dishes that don't call for "gluggy rice" simply cook in the usual way (as in packet instructions), the steaming method is best but any other way you like will do. Put in fridge until cold then give it a good stir with a fork to separate grains then freeze in freezer bags or whatever in serving size amounts.

This way you only have to get the amount you need out of the freezer a short while before cooking your fried rice, microwave till defrosted and stir in wok or fry pan with chosen oil and other ingredients for a perfect fried rice. This really does always make the best rice dishes and cooked rice freezes for ages, I always separate the grains before freezing but it probably doesn't matter you could do it on defrosting.

By Trish

I recently just learned that when you make egg fried rice, you must add the egg first then the rice, anyone know why?

Thanks.

Answers

I dont do it that way. I sauté the rice first.

I use a wok and push the rice out of the way. I then add the egg and then the peas

I did ask around and they said that it help to make the egg taste better and coat the rice with egg better. But I'm not really understand that.

I do the eggs separately. Not sure why eggs with rice but maybe to save time? :)

Mostly because if you add the eggs after the rice (right in them) they will soak up the rice and make a terrible consistency. I did that with my ex boyfriend in college and we still joke about that to this very day!!!!!!!!!!

I don't put eggs in fried rice since I don't eat eggs.

I learned from a college class that the eggs go in first so the rice doesn't get clumpy.

This article give you the reason in depth:

thetakeout.com/how-to-make-perfect-fried-rice-and...

Eggs and rice are a very popular dish because it is very veritable and can be made for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner/supper.
For this reason, you will find many variations of people's favorite ways to prepare it.
ThriftyFun has several recipes from past postings and I love Attosa's recipe.

www.thriftyfun.com/tf600351.tip.html

It is generally considered cooking eggs first (or by themselves) because adding them on top of rice so often makes a big gooey mess.

I have found that day old rice and a little drier rice work best with eggs and other ingredients.
You should experiment with different ways to see what recipe you like best.

Rice seems to be a staple for Japanese and Koreans so they always seem to have excellent recipes. Check out this site for some ideas:

mykoreankitchen.com/.../

A bit of chopped ham and lots of veggies makes for a delicious fried rice variation. This page contains a recipe for ham stir fried rice.

Serving of rice.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This page contains recipes for chicken vegetable fried rice. Chicken vegetable fried rice is a fast easy and delicious meal for your hungry family.

finished dish

I am looking for good fried rice tips and recipes. I have tried a few times but I always end up with a gooey mess of rice.

Thanks!
Dan

Answers:

Fried Rice - Tips and Recipes

You must start with COLD rice. Usually you make fried rice with leftover rice! Make your rice the day before and store in fridge. Be sure to run a fork through the freshly cooked rice before storing it in the fridge. Have every thing you wish to put in the fried rice chopped before you start. Usually you stir fry the meats/veggies first, then add the rice at the end. If you put egg in yours, scramble in a separate pan and add after you put the rice in. Add your soy sauce last.

(07/12/2005)

By Becky

Fried Rice - Tips and Recipes

I agree with Becky..
Before I cook the rice I add real butter (my uncle used lard) to keep it from sticking, AND don't cook it for a long time. it sounds like you may be using too much water in your rice. quick cooking rice isn't always the easiest to stir-fry. I use medium grain rice. I heard that you shouldn't use salt in the water while cooking as it keeps the grains from cooking all the way through. (07/12/2005)

By Dee

Fried Rice - Tips and Recipes

To make a great Mexican rice: Fry rice and minced onions in oil. Add dash of mustard and then add tomato sauce,
water or chicken broth and a tablespoon or two of salsa and cook it covered.

Use tomato and broth and measure those both to equal liquid you need one cup rice to two cups liquid (07/12/2005)

By Annie Rios Hill

Fried Rice - Tips and Recipes

I found that I MUST use cold, cooked rice for fried rice. If you forget to make the rice the day before, just dump the hot rice in a colander or sieve and run cold water on it and let it drain WELL, maybe while you are cutting up your veggies. For an oriental rice, I scramble a couple of eggs, and set aside and add at the last. Here's my favorite recipe:

Always have everything you need ready beforehand because this goes really fast!

In a wok or large iron skillet: Heat to very hot and add a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil (vegetable or olive is OK but peanut tastes best)

Then add 1 cup of chopped onion and stir a minute, at least 1 tablespoon garlic and stir, 1/2 or more celery, chopped and stir a minute, a bit of green pepper, chopped and stir, three to four cups COLD cooked rice, 1/4 cup soy sauce and mix it all, constantly until well coated and the rice is heated through. Then add scrambled egg. You may also add bean sprouts and water chestnuts or any cooked meat. Add 1 cup chopped green onion and stir for another minute and serve.

Right now, our favorite things to go with this is fried chicken livers and a peanut sauce made of:

Heat in microwave until boiling, stir in a couple of tablespoons of creamy peanut butter. YUMMY! This is easily doubled and stores well in the fridge.

(07/13/2005)

By Margie

Fried Rice - Tips and Recipes

My favorite tip is precooking your eggs before putting them in at the last minute. The other posters stated that they scramble them and put them in later - I have a recipe that has you beat the raw eggs, and pour them into a very large frying pan so they spread really thin. When cooked, you slide them out of the pan, roll them up, and slice really strips of eggs, almost spaghetti like. Once the rest of your recipe is done, you mix these lightly into the finished product. Its easier than trying to cook the raw egg over the rice, and it gives it a nice touch. (07/13/2005)

By Lisa Mutton

Japanese Fried Rice

This is a recipe a Japanese lady gave my mother when we were living in Japan. So it is Japanese Fried Rice.

Start the rice to cook. Break up and cook the ground beef in a large frying pan or wok and add soy sauce to taste while frying. (if you have a cast iron frying pan for this it tastes better). While the ground beef is cooking, chop the onion(s) and celery. When the ground beef is thoroughly cooked and broken up take it out of the pan and put it aside.

Add a little vegetable oil if necessary to the pan and add the chopped onions. Let the onions cook until clear. Add the chopped celery and cabbage and cook to your preference. I like the celery crunchy others like it cooked more. Add more soy sauce to the onions and celery now if you want. When you are satisfied with the celery, add the ground beef back in and season with some salt and pepper if desired.

Mix the vegetables and ground beef in the pan until the beef is warmed. By now the rice should be cooked. In a large bowl put approximately 1/3 of the rice and 1/3 of the vegetable mixture and mix this. Repeat with thirds until all the ingredients are mixed.

Can be used either as the entre or as a side dish. Experiment with any other type vegetables you like or leave out any type you don't like (with my family it is cabbage, YUCK!) and add with the celery. This is best when vegetables, other than the onions, are still crunchy
(07/13/2005)

By Joyce Murphy

Fried Rice - Tips and Recipes

Once you try this fried rice recipe, you won't go back. It's just like a Chinese restaurant. It may seem like a lot of work but, if you have everything assembled it will go faster and worth the wait.

Stir fry onions with 1 Tbsp. oil over low heat till brown for 8-10 min.* Remove from pan

Mix the egg, 3 drops of soya sauce and the sesame oil. Add 1/2 tbs. oil to the pan and pour in the egg mixture, swirl in the pan so it covers the bottom and sides. Cook till the egg is puffy, turn and cook the other side briefly. Remove and chop fine

Heat 1 Tbsp.. oil, add chicken, carrots, peas, and cooked onion. Stir fry 2 minutes. Add rice, green onion, mix and stir fry 3 minutes. Add soya sauce and chopped egg mixture.

Enjoy!

*It's important for the taste to cook these onions long and slow. When they are done, you'll see and smell why.

(07/13/2005)

By LEONA LABINE

Fried Rice - Tips and Recipes

Dan,

I'm of Asian descent and have seen/made fried rice since I was a little kid. As long as you have soy sauce, you can make fried rice with any vegetables you want. Cut them up small and saute them til they're cooked but still a bit crisp. As for the rice, I use the recipe below:

Bring water and salt to boil in 2 qt. sauce pan. Stir in rice. Return to boil; reduce heat to simmer. Cover; cook without lifting lid to prevent steam from escaping until rice is done (15-20 minutes -- check toward end of cooking time). Rice should be studded with steam holes when done. Let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes and fluff with fork.

There are other posters who swear by using cold rice. I use hot or cold, depending on what day I want to make fried rice. If you want to add eggs to your fried rice, I always cook them (thin omlet style) first and then cut them into little pieces. Add them to the fried rice mixture after the veggies are cooked.

So, basically. Cook the rice. Saute the veggies (carrots, peas, onion, garlic, etc) in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil. Add rice. Add soy sauce and seasonings (garlic powder, sesame seed). Add egg, if desired. Mix all together over low heat and until soy sauce turns rice brown. Voila! Fried rice.

Another thing I do. If you have little packets of soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce from take out restaurants, use those.

(07/17/2005)

By Meari

Food and Recipes Recipes International ChineseAugust 21, 2011
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-08 12:59:55 in 4 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️